As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MOBA DOBA] League of Legends, it's FREE! Submit your paint character art!

• FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    i would like a bucket of tea right about now.

plain, black tea if you would.

Feldorn on
  • nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    heimerdinger shouldn't get skins

i'll miss his afro too much

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    ITT: homosexual nerd on nerd love

I need more of that in my life, I think.

Melkster on
  • programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Shamus wrote: »
    nealcm wrote: »
    well thats 1.6 at rank 5

but yeah it ain't too bad

but still, those guys i was quoting a while ago who fed olaf then badmouthed him and were like "LOL U STACK HEALTH AND WIN AS OLAF NEW JAX WTFOP"

are dumb

Olaf is not nearly the problem Jax is. Yesterday, having seen the nerfs and hoping they were enough, I decided to 1v1 Jax from full HP as Shen. I had 6x his kills and less than 1/2 his deaths, and about 50% more creep kills. I obviously lost. That's some stupid shit right there. I might have won if his W wasn't nerfed into oblivion, but it's hard to say.

Why are you trying to 1v1 a carry who can stun you mulitiple times as a tank?
    I assumed that the nerfs may have made Jax less of a problem for someone with a much higher level and much
    more gold than them, but apparently not. He wasn't carrying at that point in time, and I damn near was. If a
    game establishes an automatic instant-win for a matchup regardless of player skill or character level / gold, there is a fucking problem. Oh well, lesson learned again.

There is no automatic instant-win. The problem is, you tried to fight a champion who excels at 1v1 melée match-ups. And you were playing a tank who has no disable, no stun, no way to slow Jax down, who by default is at a disadvantage because Shen relies on his melée, with burst every 8 seconds.

You were not carrying. Most likely you were building for survivability, as you should with Shen. Shen excels at group fights, where he can lock the carries on to him, forcing them to fight and focus him, while his team can focus them down. He's not designed to roam around and engage in 1v1. You're failng your team by doing so.

When you're 6/1/8 with Shen, you can beat (not necessarily kill, but at least force to run away) pretty much every other character in the game who is 1/6/not a lot of assists, except Jax. It may or may not be bad in the grand scheme of things, but it is a big fucking personal annoyance of mine that any Jax can beat any Shen under any circumstances.

Anyway, more productively, I'll be on at about 1700-1800 PST today for some games.

programjunkie on
  • SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

On the topic of skins, while I haven't seen it announced, this weeks patch put Molten Rammus as an option on character select. It looks pretty sexy.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    edited June 2010
    SoaL wrote: »

you never cease to amaze me, soal

is it unusual that i listened to the whole thing?

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • SuperRuperSuperRuper Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So last night I got yelled at for playing Akali because she is "an imbalanced hero that takes no skill to play".

I was being yelled at by Ashe, who's the best carry. I have the data to back this up.

SuperRuper on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ChemENGR
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Don't start that again!

Janna's the best carry

4rch3nemy on
    edited June 2010
    chopperdave, i almost got to the triforce in your Hybrid Carrykaiser build. it was a 5v4 with our teemo disconnecting from the start, and i was in a 1v2 lane.

i got a double kill with first blood on tryndamere + yi. it was the most feedtastic lane ever.

unfortunately because of the numbers we just lost, but we put up a REALLY REALLY good fight. it came to this point where we had two of their inhibs down and they had one inhib and they just pushed mid, one of us got caught by an ashe ult and it was game. 55 minutes of us almost winning though, impressive for a 5v4.

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • MouschiMouschi Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've discovered my new favorite way to pass the time: solo queue as Soraka and just heal the fuck out of pubbies, no matter how bad they are.

Also, Soraka and Taric in a lane is pretty crazy. We couldn't do anything to their tower, but damn if we couldn't kill some people.

Mouschi on
    1848717-1.png
    Gamertag: Cunning Hekate // League of Legends: FeroxPA
    edited June 2010

tomjones.mpg

you never cease to amaze me, soal

is it unusual that i listened to the whole thing?

i wouldn't say its out of the ordinary, no

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • IgelIgel Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Mouschi wrote: »
    I've discovered my new favorite way to pass the time: solo queue as Soraka and just heal the fuck out of pubbies, no matter how bad they are.

Also, Soraka and Taric in a lane is pretty crazy. We couldn't do anything to their tower, but damn if we couldn't kill some people.

That's a mite odd, in that one of the fastest times I have ever lost a tower was to a Soraka Taric pair.

Igel on
    edited June 2010
    worst lag

I can see everyone else move as normal, but I can't move at all

this owwwns

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
    edited June 2010
    worst lag

this owwwns

gragas doesn't need to move to be fat at people

you're doing it wrong

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, it's official.

Heal teams, Shen, three summoner spells (Cleanse, Ghost, and Flash), ragequitters, and an absolutely awful matchmaking system grouping me with pants-on-head retards (against experienced premades) has ruined solo queue for me. I'm not going to touch that button again until at least two of these get addressed, it's just too aggravating to get cheesed into a loss over and over and over again.

ESPECIALLY when I play well and am called the best player on the team EVERY. DAMN. MATCH.

Guess I'll see you guys in our in-houses and maybe premades, because that's all I'm playing from here on out.

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
    edited June 2010
    worst lag

this owwwns

gragas doesn't need to move to be fat at people

you're doing it wrong

i mean most of the time they didn't actually engage, they'd kinda prod at me but everyone else was sittin near me so they didn't engage

Maybe they thought I was trying to bait them.

Also I went from uh... 2/9 or so to 10/9

SCUBA GRAGAS

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, it's official.

Heal teams, Shen, three summoner spells (Cleanse, Ghost, and Flash), ragequitters, and an absolutely awful matchmaking system grouping me with pants-on-head retards (against experienced premades) has ruined solo queue for me. I'm not going to touch that button again until at least two of these get addressed, it's just too aggravating to get cheesed into a loss over and over and over again.

ESPECIALLY when I play well and am called the best player on the team EVERY. DAMN. MATCH.

Guess I'll see you guys in our in-houses and maybe premades, because that's all I'm playing from here on out.

They're taking out Flash eventually and probably nerfing the duration on Ghost while they're at it. Healing is also being 'adjusted' though whatever that means

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Man Taric's new ult is just... annoying. Except for tower loling. It annoys me, because I'm used to its old state and keep using it in useless situations :(

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, it's official.

So, you seem to have a few valid complaints, and a few, "OMG, no one should ever escape my ganks ever." Summoner skills can be annoying as piss sometimes (I hate ignite most personally), but the game doesn't really work without them. Otherwise you run into a lot of situations where being skimmed by a slow is an instant death, and that's the worst thing ever.

programjunkie on
  • BaronVonNubBaronVonNub Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Olaf's reckless strike is completely outragous, I enjoy using it very much. Maxing it as early as possible to chomp peoples health when laning is just silly, people haven't seem to have learned yet that you can't go near me without taking a flat 360 dmg thunderbolt to the face.
    All I see other olafs doing is throwing some axes or failing HARD in the jungle.

Also I'm adverse to the very concept of 'true damage' (but its so satisfying). I can see them adding more... and more... and oh god when will it stop lets all stack health.

BaronVonNub on
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    VIKING RULEZ!!!1

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Seriously, Taric's ult. It's beginning to annoy me how... non-ultimate it is. :/

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hmm, can't decide on a 3150 point hero to buy. I'm leaning towards Akali or Katarina, since both seem to be pretty mean gankers.

BlueDestiny on
  • EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Both are pro heroes for pro players.

Are you pro enough bro?

Endomatic on
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I've been out of the loop. What's Taric's new ult?

What's Jax's supposed nerf?

Has anything happened with Singed? Any skins?

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hmm, can't decide on a 3150 point hero to buy. I'm leaning towards Akali or Katarina, since both seem to be pretty mean gankers.

VIKING

Or Akali, because Akali is super fun to play, she's just super squishy if you don't have a good team to back you up.

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    AD Ezreal is so much fun.

Shamus on
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    kennen with lich bane and guinsoo's blade... :o

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • ResIpsaLoquiturResIpsaLoquitur Not a grammar nazi, just alt-write. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

How do you build that?
    wazilla wrote: »

Yeah, got slaughtered by her with that setup last game. I'd never seen her capable of the damage output I saw that game.

ResIpsaLoquitur on
    League of Legends: MichaelDominick; Blizzard(NA): MichaelD#11402; Steam ID: MichaelDominick
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

How do you build that?

I do:

Fort Pot + 3 HP (Start)
    Boots 1 + x2 Long Sword -> The Brutalizer
    Frozen Mallet or Sheen (Depending if I feel I need the health or not.)
    Mallet or Sheen (Whatever I didn't build previously)
    Triforce
    Merc Treads or Sorcerer's Shoes
    Guinsoo Rageblade

Game is usually over by this point. If I'm starting off well, I'll pick up a Sword of the Occult before the Mallet/Sheen. I always buy a fresh fort pot once the one I have wears off.

Edit:
    I also adjust my build to what I'm facing. Just got out of a hellish game. The enemy consisted of Annie/Morg/Rammus/Zil/Olaf. Me, Warwick, and Sion held them off for about 50 minutes for the most part. Our Teemo and Akali refused to build resist gear and just fed the entire game.

Anyway, in that game, I didn't finish the Triforce until after I got a Banshee's Veil. Merc Treads was built after the Frozen Mallet, and before my Sheen. Always adjust accordingly to the other team.

Shamus on
  • SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Anyone have tips for a new Yi player? I can do really good up until endgame then I just start dying horribly as everyone goes and gangs up on me ignoring everyone else on my team :(

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sonelan wrote: »
    Anyone have tips for a new Yi player? I can do really good up until endgame then I just start dying horribly as everyone goes and gangs up on me ignoring everyone else on my team :(

get mana regen/level seals and 9/0/21 masteries

buy meki pendant

get alpha strike

go mid

spam alpha strike

buy chalice

spam more alpha strike

buy carry items

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    wazilla wrote: »

Yeah, got slaughtered by her with that setup last game. I'd never seen her capable of the damage output I saw that game.

A TF ported in on me to start a gank. I lightning formed right before he got there and I don't think he even got a hit in on me before he died.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
    edited June 2010
    I need Soraka builds and tactics. I suck with her.

Just played my first Soraka game and went with Innervating Locket, leveling infuse and heal evenly... we didn't lose because of me (I healed decent and pulled out clutch ult heal saves) but I still felt like I could have contributed much more somehow.

Soraka feels ineffective in my hands and annoying effective when I'm playing against her.

Show me how to abuse healing, Soraka pros.

4rch3nemy on
  • rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    holy fucking hsit i just started playing this game and it's awesome.

so newb and i die all the time still, but so awesome.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • MouschiMouschi Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    I need Soraka builds and tactics. I suck with her.

Just played my first Soraka game and went with Innervating Locket, leveling infuse and heal evenly... we didn't lose because of me (I healed decent and pulled out clutch ult heal saves) but I still felt like I could have contributed much more somehow.

Soraka feels ineffective in my hands and annoying effective when I'm playing against her.

Show me how to abuse healing, Soraka pros.

I haven't played her a ton, but when I have it sounds like I'm doing what you're doing: innervating locket, defensive boots, ignore her Q for the most part (although I think it can be good for last-hitting if you take one rank at 4).

As for tactics, just harass the fuck out of people if you're good on mana. Her E does decent damage, and it's free, so if you and your lane partner are both good on mana, you can use E to harass. The silence makes sure they're unable to retaliate with something that really hurts, so basically you E them, one auto-attack, and back. Besides that, you're really like a symbiote with your laning partner at the start. Ideally you're with someone who uses mana - it's worth it to ask Akali to switch lanes so you can be with Olaf, who will GREATLY appreciate having infinite mana.

Once you're in roving teamfight mode, just stay behind everyone, but not *too* far behind. I see Sorakas get really far back, which makes it hard to adjust if someone tower dives, and it also makes them vulnerable to a carry coming around from behind and killing Soraka very quickly. She's squishy as fuck, and if someone can't create some distance she won't even have time to heal herself.

I think it's largely just being aware of where the enemy is, and where they could come from. You don't really have to attack, since in a team fight *someone* could use the mana, usually. So all you have to do is position yourself so you can hit everyone with W within a couple seconds, and move ahead of time away from potential threats.

Beyond all that, if your teammates tower dive constantly, you can't heal them. Like, if they push into the enemy base, past a tower, looking for a kill, you can't follow them into the base and expect to live. You're super vulnerable to getting rushed by a stray champion, and if your teammates die that far back, you have to go alone back through tower fire. I think some people tend to start playing insanely recklessly when Soraka's on their team, because they get used to having enormous heals to save them when they're in trouble. You can't fix that, really.

Hope this was helpful.

Edit: I would add that, much like healing in MMO PvP, if you're healing ineffective people, you'll feel ineffective. If it's you and a braindead Olaf against a competent Olaf and a braindead Ashe, you'll probably lose the fight. I think Soraka really only shines if she's around people who can use her heals and manas to amplify how good they already are.

Mouschi on
    1848717-1.png
    Gamertag: Cunning Hekate // League of Legends: FeroxPA
    edited June 2010
    Mouschi wrote: »

Hope this was helpful.

Edit: I would add that, much like healing in MMO PvP, if you're healing ineffective people, you'll feel ineffective. If it's you and a braindead Olaf against a competent Olaf and a braindead Ashe, you'll probably lose the fight. I think Soraka really only shines if she's around people who can use her heals and manas to amplify how good they already are.

It was very helpful! Thank you.

Any other builds or alternative ways to play her, that you've found? Maybe I should just stick to saving the ones worth saving..

It's funny you mention that 2v2 situation.. because it was me and a really horrible Olaf versus Ashe and Kayle. Uncannily close! :)

I suppose braindead Olafs aren't hard to find these days, though.

4rch3nemy on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Okay Kat is really really fun. I kinda wish I had gotten her instead of Garen first.

BlueDestiny on
  • EvilsvilleEvilsville Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I am the worst shaco

I think my build sucks, I wouldn't say I feed, cuz I don't. But once mid-game rolls around, I do no damage and get no kills. Balls.

Evilsville on