As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Megaman Zero Collection - It has a chicken for a boss!

GilderGilder Aw snapMacaroni PartyRegistered User regular
edited June 2010 in Games and Technology
mega-man-zero-collection-ds.png

So there's this game out called the Megaman Zero Collection. It's pretty boss yo. It's for the Nintendo DS and it contains all four Megaman Zero games released on the GBA. All for the low low price of $30. Holy moley! See, the original Zero games are actually pretty hard to find these days. Good luck if you want to get one with a box. So if you've never played the series before but you love Megaman, you should get this collection. If you have played them before then this is a nice way to play them once again as they're in one package. It's also going to be much easier to follow the story because there won't be a year long break between games!

What's new in the collection:
An Easy mode to play through all the games
A wallpaper gallery
An art gallery
Mod cards for Megaman Zero 3 which were previously Japan only through the E-Reader
You can make the Y and X buttons do whatever, except for dash and weapon select apparently

What's old: Pretty much everything else. There's no new translations for the main stories and blood is still cut out. This means that Ciel still ends every goddamn sentence that comes out of her mouth with ellipses and I'm going to be pissed the fuck off constantly. Also they don't quite take up the whole screen, so people with XLs may get some stretching? I'm not sure how it'll work.

Why I made this thread: To let people know about the game and also because we can use it to discuss the games. Let's be honest here, these games aren't exactly easy. I don't believe they're unbelievably hard, but they're no walk in the park. Tips on bosses and stages from forumers to other forumers may be needed, and that's what this thread is for. The Zero series is a wonderful series of games (well at least the first 3, mileage varies on 4), and I hope this collection lets more people experience it.

Oh and one more thing: If you are new to the series then do not read the character section in the instruction manual. It is pretty spoilery.

Gilder on

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    No blood? Aww man.

I'm definitely picking this up though. Did it come out yesterday?

Clint Eastwood on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Shipped yesterday, available today.

Gilder on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Awesome.

My favorite was always 3, although now that I think about it I never got around to playing 4. That vampire bat boss was sweet.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm probably going to pick this up down the road. Can't do with the frustration the games cause right now, but at the same time, I really want to continue the series. I played through 1 and I think most or all of 2, too. They were really quite good games.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • dcleedclee Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'll probably pick this up sometime soon, since I've never played any of the MMZ games and they look fun. I believe I saw someone on PA do a let's play of these games, I think it was Ohtsam.

dclee on
  • MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Picking this up Friday, never played them on GBA but the trailer for it was pretty radical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4jNLTet7zw

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    These games were so much fun. They are pretty much the original reason I bought a DSlite (Came for the GBA backwards compatibility, stayed for the RPGs). I wish there were more games like this available.

It's going to be awfully hard to resists picking up this collection.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If they removed the actual ingame footage from that trailer, it would make a wonderful parody of that awful (awesome?) Duke Nuken Collection trailer.

I never did get around to buying 3 or 4, so for $30 this looks like a pretty sweet deal.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Apparently x and y aren't fully mappable. You can't put both dash and weapon switch on them and make it a front only game.

Other than that and that MMZ1 sucks...this is a worthy purchase.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Can't remap X and Y? That kind of sucks. Z3 always gave me horrible hand pains from jamming down shoulder buttons. Which, of course, eventually stopped working properly.

Were the ZX games ever as good?

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Serious_ScrubSerious_Scrub Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    They tried to use a continuous world map like castlevania for the ZX series, but it just ended up being too much of a chore to move around the place. The multiple forms were pretty neat, though

Serious_Scrub on
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Apparently x and y aren't fully mappable. You can't put both dash and weapon switch on them and make it a front only game.

This is why I can't play any GBA games on my DS. When holding any controller or handheld that uses the diamond layout, my thumb wants to hit whatever button is on the left (Y) for shooting, and whatever button is on the bottom (B) for jumping. I just can't retrain my hand. It may seem silly, but I'm actually passing on this collection over that.

Dirty on
    edited June 2010
    Dirty wrote: »

This is why I can't play any GBA games on my DS. When holding any controller or handheld that uses the diamond layout, my thumb wants to hit whatever button is on the left (Y) for shooting, and whatever button is on the bottom (B) for jumping. I just can't retrain my hand. It may seem silly, but I'm actually passing on this collection over that.

No you can do that. There's a setup where B is jump and you can remap Y for shoot. I have R for dash and L+Y for Sub-weapon. This was the first thing I did because I'm like you, with the DS face buttons I immediately go for SNES style controls. Kirby Super Star Ultra I think had A for jump or something and it messed me up.

Gilder on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It's strange how often it seems that the SNES conventions which defined the layout are ignored on the DS...

Anyway, this may interest some of you; it's a Q&A we did with Capcom, mainly looking towards what might best be described as "consumer issues" for people deciding whether or not to get the game.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm going to buy and possibly regret this eventually.

I have the weirdest damn relationship with Megaman games. I fucking love them, then I go to play one. I get reminded of how awful I am at them, pout, and put it down, cursing that damnable blue bomber and all of his robot buddies.

Sir Platypus on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Parts 1 and 3 were my favorite from this series, even though 3 was more or less botched by the Mega Man X series deciding to change whatever continuity was in place.

Part 4 had cool looking bosses and boss fights but I didn't like it all too much.

Henroid on
  • blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ugh, why is this coming out now?

I want to get it, but I think I'm going to have to wait for awhile.

Are these games more like the X series or the ZX series?

blaze_zero on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The first game is sort of a pilot run at how Mega Man ZX has a continuous world, rather than a stage select. I'd say they're generally like ZX though, minus changing your form.

Henroid on
    edited June 2010
    Man, I was really hoping for some old school Mega Man X style run and gun.

I fucking loved the first three Mega Man X games.

blaze_zero on
  • DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'd get it if I didn't already own all the GBA carts. I still haven't beaten four.

Drakmathus on
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Can you really remap? I sure as hell couldn't put map shoot to Y in MMZ1 when I started today. Also, man, but am I rusty. I'm only getting A scores. What happened to my S-toting skills? :(
    blaze_zero wrote: »
    Man, I was really hoping for some old school Mega Man X style run and gun.

I fucking loved the first three Mega Man X games.

Really, if you liked X1-3, you're going to love Zero. It uses a very similar paradigm, only with a tad more story and more melee focused because, you know, Zero, so most of your weapons are short range so you need a lot more spot-dodging.

Well, the first one has an attempt at a little "overworld" thing, ala ZX, but the other three drop it for classic action-pumped separate stages. And it's great.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
    edited June 2010
    Actually, one of the things I didn't like about a lot of the X games was the story.

I don't want plot threads in my Mega Man games, I guess.

I want there to be an affiably evil guy that I have to beat 8 bosses and some stages to get to.

I skip most of the dialogue in the X games and what I've played of ZX Advent.

blaze_zero on
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I want there to be an affiably evil guy that I have to beat 8 bosses and some stages to get to.

Welp, that's going to be a problem - Omega and Weil, the big bads of the series, are all but "affable". More on the omnicidal crazed psycho side of the scale, really. Weil would be almost funny in the sheer over-the-topness of his evil if he wasn't, you know, a crazed omnicidal psycho :P.

You still get your stages and bosses, though, and they're good ones. Well, MMZ1's are a tad weaker, but still good.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
    edited June 2010
    People who don't want plot in their games have a simple solution; skip the text. Congrats, you have just gameplay now! <_<

Henroid on
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, it's so easy when games have unskipable cutscenes and parts of the game where you just mash A to get by the text.

That's gameplay at its finest.

blaze_zero on
    edited June 2010
    Oh, if we're talking about not being able to swiftly or instantly skip stuff, that's a different story.

Henroid on
  • General_WinGeneral_Win Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I played ZX for the DS and I wasn't a fan. I enjoyed the hell out of the Xes as well.

Is this "Zero Collection" similar in that your guy upgrades and stuff, like will get an up dash or a 2nd dash and stuff?

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I picked this up yesterday, and started on Zero 1 last night.

Now I've never played a Zero game before, and I wasn't going to do easy mode...and this game is hard. :(

And you only get one life! :x

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ZXA is much less annoying with it's overworld feature and enjoyed going through it much more than ZX. It gets even better when you get the power to transform into
    ZX.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, it's so easy when games have unskipable cutscenes and parts of the game where you just mash A to get by the text.

That's gameplay at its finest.

Just tell yourself it's a Quick Time event.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
    edited June 2010
    So I played ZX for the DS and I wasn't a fan. I enjoyed the hell out of the Xes as well.

Is this "Zero Collection" similar in that your guy upgrades and stuff, like will get an up dash or a 2nd dash and stuff?

You don't really gain powerups at every boss. The first set of bosses will give you elemental chips (only 3 - fire, lightning, and ice), and that's about it. Zero 2 and 3 grant you special powerups not essential to beating the game at all when you beat a boss swiftly and without taking damage. It's still stuff like changing the final slash in the triple-attack to go up, or spinning when you jump attack, changing your charged gun shot to bounce off walls, etc.

So no it isn't similar to ZX in beating-boss upgrades at all.

Henroid on
    edited June 2010
    Wait I just remembered, in Zero 3, you unlock body / foot / head chips from beating bosses normally. 3 of the chips are the fire / lightning / ice thing I mentioned.

Henroid on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My favorite Megaman series right here, need to get it. Also ending spoilers, and big ones even for a megaman game.
    I like that Zero finally stays dead.

SkutSkut on
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well, since I can fix the controls after all, I went ahead and ordered it. Between this, Peace Walker, and Picross 3D, I am going to be spending all my free time hunched over tiny screens.

Dirty on
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    To sum up my opinions of the series:

Z1: Decent

Z2: Better than Z1

Z3: Best in the series

Z4: BLECH!

Zero 4 tore away the cool 3rd sub-weapons and replaced them with a retarded grab based sub-weapon where you steal crap or brokenly-powerful weapons from enemies? (It's pretty sad if a Axe I steal is more powerful and useful than a charged Z-Saber attack) Also, the story jumped forward leaving a huge gap of what may have happened (like, what happened to Copy X's 4 generals? Or why the hell did the rebels decide they should form a caravan?)

Don't even get me started on the Weather system...

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm going to buy and possibly regret this eventually.

I have the weirdest damn relationship with Megaman games. I fucking love them, then I go to play one. I get reminded of how awful I am at them, pout, and put it down, cursing that damnable blue bomber and all of his robot buddies.

Play the Easy mode, then. You will have no problems, I'm sure. When my wife and I saw what they give you there, our eyes went wide.
    Are these games more like the X series or the ZX series?

I'd say like the middle ground between the two, at least the first one. With the stage selects in 2-4, a little more like X in that regard.
    Drascin wrote: »
    Can you really remap? I sure as hell couldn't put map shoot to Y in MMZ1 when I started today. Also, man, but am I rusty. I'm only getting A scores. What happened to my S-toting skills? :(

Yeah, it's possible. Takes a little working, but it can be done with the touchscreen (which handles some of the mapping for the new buttons).
    Fireflash wrote: »
    ZXA is much less annoying with it's overworld feature and enjoyed going through it much more than ZX. It gets even better when you get the power to transform into
    ZX.

My gripe with ZXA, besides the difficulty levels being off of what they were in ZX, is all of the changing that's required. This didn't bother me in ZX because all the fundamentals were basically the same; they all ran, dashed, jumped, and climbed the same way. But in ZXA, you're having to change into all these forms in order to clear an obstacle or puzzle to progress, and change back, and most (if not all) of the boss forms just move horribly.
    Z3: Best in the series

Agreed. And the best got even better, since Collection has the ability to use the Mod Cards that were sold only in Japan for the eReader.
    what happened to Copy X's 4 generals?
    They were destroyed in the explosion of Omega in Z3.

Mind, that was retconned in later; there is art from one of the RmZ4 soundtracks, I believe, showing them watching the fall of Ragnarok with X. They had neat robes and everything, but that was retconned when they decided to go forward with ZX.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Gilder wrote: »
    What's new in the collection:
    An Pansy mode to play through all the games
    A wallpaper gallery
    An art gallery
    Mod cards for Megaman Zero 3 which were previously Japan only through the E-Reader
    You can make the Y and X buttons do whatever, except for dash and weapon select apparently

*FIXED*

Anyway I am defiantly going to get this game even though I have the original 1-4. Though I am going to play them on hard mode. I remember sleepless nights playing RMZ2 during high school just to get a better grade in the game for uber wehpons!
    Shipped yesterday, available today.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF. This is a grim weekend for my wallet. First steam sales now this! Plus im getting two used GBA games I've been lookin for. :/ Oh well. Its for the best. I shouldn't even be buying games since I have a metric shit ton of games I still need to beat.

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
    edited June 2010
    I forget, did the other Zero games make it so annoying to level weapons up? Because I hate the last level of the saber in Z1, fuck that noise. 20 minutes of killing and nothing. Oh well, I got it up to the level where the charge is faster and that just wrecks the early bosses. You can beat Anubis in like 6 hits. I'm not going for all S ranks this time, and this is like my third playthrough, but I am going to go for a no elf run. I haven't done that since I first played it.

Gilder on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The only way to play is no elves and S-Rank.

SkutSkut on
    edited June 2010
    I can't do S ranks, because I always get hit by something. I can do no elves, but I'll always get hit by some random shots along the way. I'll jump and whoops, I landed on somebody and I'm not replaying the whole level for that. The boss rush would also be the end of my S rank run, I definitely can't beat every boss without getting hit a lot. I can probably finish with an A rank however. I won't be trying for a good rank on Zero 2-4 though, as I can't remember anything about those. I only played those games once when they first came out.

Besides, I beat ZX Advent on hard mode. That's my testament to my mega skills, I don't need to prove it anymore. ZXA was just stupidly ruthless on hard mode in that last dungeon.

Gilder on