As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Why do geeks look like geeks?

• VapidVapid Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I guess it ultimately depends on what you want to achieve. Brains and charisma (which looks and social skills, which take time to learn) are both needed in many fields. But if you don't place pursuit of the highest business/leadership positions as a high priority, which is understandable, then you don't have to "conform" to what society expects you to look like, although as many people have mentioned there are tons of different styles that look good, styles that can be self-made. The only problem really is apathy.

Plus, exercise and keeping in shape is an important part of this whole "looks" concept we're talking about. I mean its understandable that someone who is inherently inept at physical exercise would shy away from it, but even if the person doesn't care what others think, its still satisfying and healthy. Speaking from personal experience as someone who had a hard time with asthma as a child, joining the cross country and track team were daunting tasks, but I felt a lot better both mentally and physically afterwards.

Vapid on
    POKEMON DIAMOND : 1418 4085 0727
    Mario Strikers: 266395 286788
    Like games/movies/other awesome stuff? Check ouy my blog: http://freakinawesome.wordpress.com/
  • aesiraesir __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    screw comp sci kids. Us animation and art geeks are belong to the geekiest major on the planet. Everyone is either addicted to anime, cartoons, or video games.

aesir on
  • JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I think it's retarded that you apparently have no idea of the middle ground between "looking like a slob" and "being a trendy faggot."

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    hgghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhgyegfyygeyeugy
    ghreageurhtuehte8hrt8uhesrt 98ehgba8aht87 awtawehta8weht adhf 8hwafe87h87hwet8h weh 87hf8h87fwaeh87hbscgvqwgq cdniuwbnf8awbife bebewa8fg8awehraw cjndbc78q7wchcqwooqckqw rijdcn7wqg7werh wq7hfduiqhgfu8qew8uf87gwe87gewfhuihfhuh fgfggfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgf egwafrywefweygfy7awfe waehfieofjoiajg hwefgoiwjet98hwaefjwf 8ihwe9fwfeiuhwklsjf9wniefjkweoihjf sfhvaboiavwepoiwajertuhwaf80 wahiouwavchiowahefiha wfdoiuhfoiuwahfwa0hfoihawe9- hsiahf a9hfahw9ewefawjfh9awef =-q 89uhafd9 9we 5641+4+9845246+5165498+4+946+84945+665986 +894 94 4 984 91+89+4 98+4we4+89rwart 009u89 98wra u8jw

Oboro on
    words
  • Spaten OptimatorSpaten Optimator Smooth Operator Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oboro wrote:
    hgghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhgyegfyygeyeugy
    ghreageurhtuehte8hrt8uhesrt 98ehgba8aht87 awtawehta8weht adhf 8hwafe87h87hwet8h weh 87hf8h87fwaeh87hbscgvqwgq cdniuwbnf8awbife bebewa8fg8awehraw cjndbc78q7wchcqwooqckqw rijdcn7wqg7werh wq7hfduiqhgfu8qew8uf87gwe87gewfhuihfhuh fgfggfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgf egwafrywefweygfy7awfe waehfieofjoiajg hwefgoiwjet98hwaefjwf 8ihwe9fwfeiuhwklsjf9wniefjkweoihjf sfhvaboiavwepoiwajertuhwaf80 wahiouwavchiowahefiha wfdoiuhfoiuwahfwa0hfoihawe9- hsiahf a9hfahw9ewefawjfh9awef =-q 89uhafd9 9we 5641+4+9845246+5165498+4+946+84945+665986 +894 94 4 984 91+89+4 98+4we4+89rwart 009u89 98wra u8jw

Spaten Optimator on
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    I guess actually I'm not a geek at all. I just love competition in all its forms. I'm gonna go find some hot chicks now...can anybody spare me a hundred bucks?

Dynagrip on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Zimmydoom wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Zimmydoom wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:
    :roll:

The geek appearance stereotype is mostly because the people who do geeky things who look good are not referred to as geeks by others.

People are more likely to say "That hot girl plays video games" than "That hot girl is a geek."
    Actually, I'm much more inclined to say "that nerdy girl is really hot."

I know a few of those.

Yes.

But you HAVE A WII CODE.

It's like a black guy calling another black guy a brother.

Heck, I only date/associate/cuddle women who fit the activity-based definition.

But half of them are so attractive they have to carry weapons.
    I was trying to say that I tend to group people by their interests rather than their appearance, and I happen to know several gamers/math and science geeks who are also very attractive and athletic. They're not hot because they play games. That is entirely secondary.

By the way, that post makes you look like a shallow asshole.

Yes, but you are, dare I suggest it, probably a geek or a nerd or some similar jock-bait variety. You are thus an interest-based person rather than an appearance-based person.

But you do not represent the people who make shitty assumptions, because, get this, you're the sort of person they make assumptions about.

Of COURSE you know that their method is wrong, YOU'RE the one suffering under it.

--

How so?

Dude. Seriously. One of them has a golf club in her car and carries a switch blade (She made sure I knew the latter, -twice-). Another has bodyguards when she goes clubbing that kick your ass if you slap hers too hard.

And considering I befriend all but one of them on the internet long before I had even seen their faces... You see, my biggest turn on is intellect; I just happen to be a breath of fresh air for the insanely hot smart women, because I get all sweaty about their intelligence long before they start flashing other round fat-based organs.

I'm not shallow, the universe just does strange things around me to ensure that I get only the best of females in my arms.

I am, however, an asshole. This is true, and well-known.

Incenjucar on
  • Google Image SearchGoogle Image Search Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Jinnigan wrote:
    Why's geeks always assuming that you have to wear 'trendy' clothes to look good?
    Because they wouldn't know style if it slapped them in face.

Google Image Search on
    GalfordSig.gif
    edited January 2007
    Jinnigan wrote:
    Why's geeks always assuming that you have to wear 'trendy' clothes to look good?
    Because they wouldn't know style if it slapped them in face.

Especially considering how many trends look like shit and just declare which store you shop at.

Real styles, on the other hand, are still going strong after multiple generations.

Incenjucar on
  • Google Image SearchGoogle Image Search Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Amen

Google Image Search on
    GalfordSig.gif
  • ZsetrekZsetrek Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Incenjucar wrote:
    How so?

Dude. Seriously. One of them has a golf club in her car and carries a switch blade (She made sure I knew the latter, -twice-). Another has bodyguards when she goes clubbing that kick your ass if you slap hers too hard.

And considering I befriend all but one of them on the internet long before I had even seen their faces... You see, my biggest turn on is intellect; I just happen to be a breath of fresh air for the insanely hot smart women, because I get all sweaty about their intelligence long before they start flashing other round fat-based organs.

I'm not shallow, the universe just does strange things around me to ensure that I get only the best of females in my arms.

I am, however, an asshole. This is true, and well-known.

Put it away, son.

Zsetrek on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I think being a geek has actually become... cool.

It seems like people want to be nerds these days, what with all these gadgets flying around anymore, MP3 players, cell phones, personal computers everywhere... And no one wants to look or sound stupid when they use these things.

Besides... the look has changed drastically. Not even authentic geeks and nerds look like this anymore.

red_green_harold_150.jpg

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Daisuke SpoonDaisuke Spoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So I'm curious, is it possible for there to be a third-party candidate? Perhaps another seperate clique entirely? Furthermore, is it at all common for people to belong to more than one high-school clique?

Yeah its entirely possible. Back in Highschool I knew a ton of people who were associated with several different cliques. But this school was out in the country sort of, so everyone knew everyone. At my school before that, it was a bit different...

Daisuke Spoon on
    pikaserious.jpg
    Pokeymanz: 0002-2940-9674
  • the centaurthe centaur __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    terrible.jpgterrible.jpgterrible.jpgterrible.jpgterrible.jpg

the centaur on
    but i'm built like a horse from the waist down
    edited January 2007
    I wonder if the association with the cliques and the stereotypes is regional.

Like, are New York geeks more likely to LOOK geek than, say, San Francisco geeks?

What does age or socio-economic level have to do with it?

Suburbs vs. Urban vs. Rural?

I mean, I'm a country-raised nerd, and I look like a biker more than anything else.

But in the city, there are geekier-looking types.

Incenjucar on
  • Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm 5 foot 11, 217 pounds with big muscles because apart from my love of videogames while stoned, I am also a martial arts geek. My dad is a martial arts master, and I've 150 kung fu movies, so naturally I practice kung fu.
    Just before I continue, I do have a gut, but people don't notice. I'm not trying to say I'm some sort of adonis or anything.

I'm really just backing up the side that says if you have a single interest that does not have any real physical or social benefits (Cons don't really count), that is where your appearance will edge towards the stereotypical. My friends are all geeks and you can see the differences in presentation.

Raybies666 on
    Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • the centaurthe centaur __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    yeah, there are burly geeks. all i used to do was dick around on internet and lift weights. i got pretty yoked. not anymore. but anyway.

the thing about the yoked geeks or the tan geeks or the normal-person-esque geeks is that, while they're still geeks, they can get by in everyday life without any of the social stigma associated with being a geek.

they're like blade or some shit - all of the strengths, none of the weaknesses.

terrible.jpg

the centaur on
    but i'm built like a horse from the waist down
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Isn't it as simple as geeks/nerds however you want to spell it out are comfortable with who they are and don't feel the need to impress people by the clothes they wear or with the way they act?

Thats exactly my point. There is no need for one to dress up/act a different way because society sees it fit. They can do whatever they want and the rest just have to accept it. If they don't its those who can't accept it that are to blame and not the geek/nerds.

Look, if you're fat and gross and don't shower and smell like a sack of crap and dress like you got in a fight with your closet, then no I don't "just have to accept it." I'm not going to hang out with you or around you. And it's not my fault, it's your fault.

Why are some people so against the idea of just looking decent?

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Prot3usProt3us Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Isn't it as simple as geeks/nerds however you want to spell it out are comfortable with who they are and don't feel the need to impress people by the clothes they wear or with the way they act?

Thats exactly my point. There is no need for one to dress up/act a different way because society sees it fit. They can do whatever they want and the rest just have to accept it. If they don't its those who can't accept it that are to blame and not the geek/nerds.

Look, if you're fat and gross and don't shower and smell like a sack of crap and dress like you got in a fight with your closet, then no I don't "just have to accept it." I'm not going to hang out with you or around you. And it's not my fault, it's your fault.

That way they don't have to be around superficial morons like you.
    I agree with the showering thing thats just common sense, but thinking of people as beneath you just because they "clash"(I think thats what you "down" and "hip" people say) is just fucking stupid.

Prot3us on
    edited January 2007

The only thing here is that people should, yes, be clean.

Aside from that, plenty of "hip" people look like utter crap, they're just too stupid to realize it.

Incenjucar on
  • YosemiteSamYosemiteSam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Aside from that, plenty of "hip" people look like utter crap, they're just too stupid to realize it.
    What's the point of saying that?

YosemiteSam on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Suckafish wrote:
    You mean like the retarded-jock stereotype?

Absolutely, we can discuss that here too if you like, though I think the reason why the average jock is less intelligent than the average computer programmer is obvious. Again, I don't agree that all jocks are dumb, far from it, but I'm sure that kids that struggle in the classroom are more likely to strive to excel in sports.
    I don't think the average jock is less intelligent than the average programmer. I think they have different skillsets and that neither one is more likely than the other to know anything about how to properly put together an outfit or arrange an apartment.

:wink:

moniker on
    edited January 2007
    Incenjucar wrote:

The "attacked by a closet" comment.

I've seen some seriously hideous styles come in to vogue.

Like that cancer-on-the-forehead hairstyle.

:x

Incenjucar on
    edited January 2007
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:

Yeah, but I thought your stance was
    You wrote:
    By looking down on the way hip people dress, you're undermining your own argument.

YosemiteSam on
  • VapidVapid Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:

What the hell style was that?

Vapid on
    POKEMON DIAMOND : 1418 4085 0727
    Mario Strikers: 266395 286788
    Like games/movies/other awesome stuff? Check ouy my blog: http://freakinawesome.wordpress.com/
    edited January 2007
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:

You wrote:
    By looking down on the way hip people dress, you're undermining your own argument.

By having personal aesthetics rather than insisiting that everyone share mine?

I think certain looks are hideous.

I do not base my associations on it nor do I assume someone is part of a group based on it.

People can look as bad as they want, I'm not going to shun them for having shit taste.

Smelling and tasting like shit is another matter.

Incenjucar on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    How many times do we have to tell you to stop licking strangers, Incenjucar?

Oh, and a bit of another rehash that I didn't bother quoting earlier. What is up with the stereotype of gay (wo)men having natural style and aesthetic understandings meanwhile a straight man is going to be utterly lacking in that department?

moniker on
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    moniker wrote:
    How many times do we have to tell you to stop licking strangers, Incenjucar?

Oh, and a bit of another rehash that I didn't bother quoting earlier. What is up with the stereotype of gay (wo)men having natural style and aesthetic understandings meanwhile a straight man is going to be utterly lacking in that department?
    The majority of humans are idiots who assume that an eye for things that don't aesthetically-induce vomitting means you're, like, way feminine, dude. Because obviously that's the only possible reason why they/their boyfriend/their dad don't have that ability themselves, because they're real men. Not because they just have shit-taste in everything.

ViolentChemistry on
    edited January 2007
    Incenjucar wrote:

I do not base my associations on it nor do I assume someone is part of a group based on it.

People can look as bad as they want, I'm not going to shun them for having shit taste.

So the only difference between your view and anyone who you're arguing with is that you have personal tastes but your perception of other people is completely independent of those tastes?

YosemiteSam on
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Incenjucar wrote:

So the only difference between your view and anyone who you're arguing with is that you have personal tastes but your perception of other people is completely independent of those tastes?
    That would make sense since the whole argument stemmed from someone or other's remark that they "won't associate with" people whose appearance they don't approve of.

ViolentChemistry on
    edited January 2007
    Incenjucar wrote:

More or less.

Basically: I know some wonderful people who occasionally dress really badly. I note this, and wish it would not happen, but I do not hang out with them any less because of it.

Hell, I hang out with a guy at the club who has one of those little mini-mohawks. I think it looks absolutely ludicrous, but he's an okay guy, so I get over it.

Incenjucar on
    edited January 2007
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:

You wrote:

Note that I never said people have to look "hip". I just said you shouldn't look like you got in a fight with your closet.

It is not that hard to dress and look good. You don't have to be trendy or hip or whatever if you don't want to- jeans and a non-retarded t-shirt is generally pretty good.

I mean if you're a cool dude and have good hygeine I am generally able to overlook questionable clothing decisions, I'm not some completely shallow person, but it is just nice to see someone dressed decently. Is that so wrong? It's nice to hang out with people who take at least some modicum of pride in their appearance and don't dress like they're half blind.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
    edited January 2007
    Dude.

Not everyone actually HAS a fashion sense.

Besides that, sometimes there are reasons that people don't feel any concern for appearance: I looked pretty shitty my first semester of college because I was going through a series of mental breakdowns.

But I was damned styling in high school and moreso now.

Incenjucar on
    edited January 2007
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Dude.

Like I said it's not hard to throw on a pair of jeans and a shirt that doesn't say something obnoxious like "You say psycho like it's a bad thing OLOLOL"

I mean that is the way I dress most of the time. It's not like I'm some super fashionable guy.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
    edited January 2007
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Dude.

Like I said it's not hard to throw on a pair of jeans and a shirt that doesn't say something obnoxious like "You say psycho like it's a bad thing OLOLOL"

I mean that is the way I dress most of the time. It's not like I'm some super fashionable guy.

Could you maybe describe this closet attack then.

Incenjucar on
    edited January 2007
    Incenjucar wrote:

That would make sense since the whole argument stemmed from someone or other's remark that they "won't associate with" people whose appearance they don't approve of.
    I said this:
    I will say that, given the choice between someone who does that stuff and someone who doesn't and no other information about the person, I, personally, would be more inclined to hang out with the person who does. Partially because I place a certain value on those things in and of themselves, and partially because in my experience there is a strong correlation between caring about how you look and having confidence. I like hanging out with confident people because they tend to be funny, personable, and fun to hang out with.

Of course, these are all kind of superficial characteristics, but hey, I'll be the first to admit that I have some superficial relationships, and I don't think that's anything to be ashamed of. You're not a superficial person unless you care excessively (or only) about superficial characteristics and have too many superficial relationships. But having superficial relationships doesn't limit your ability to have more meaningful relationships. In fact, a meaningful relationship almost always has to start as a superficial one.
    which is certainly different from refusing to associate with uncool people. If anybody actually said they wouldn't associate with people who didn't dress a certain way, I missed it. Given that no one commented directly on what I said, I didn't think anyone had a problem with it.

YosemiteSam on
    edited January 2007
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Dude.

Do you really want me to describe terrible fashion sense for you? It is pretty easy to imagine.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
    edited January 2007
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Dude.

Do you really want me to describe terrible fashion sense for you? It is pretty easy to imagine.

All I have to do is look at the "popular" kids these days for my definition.

Cancer-hair and ugly pinks.

Incenjucar on
  • Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Dude.

Agian thats your standards, your way of forcing people to look a certain way before talking to them. What a brilliant standpoint!

Katchem_ash on
  • CodeCode Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Dude.

take a pair of jeans, and a shirt that you have worn for 2 days straight, get them wet, roll them into a tight ball. Now sit that ball in the back corner of your closet. Wait a week, unroll the ball, wear.

Dressing well =/= Dressing trendy. You don't have to wear homo pink polo shirts, or the horrendous blue vertical stripe button down shirt that everyone at the club wears in order to be well dressed. I can go to wal-mart, and spend 40 bucks, and look better than the asshole who dropped $200 at American Eagle. Why is it that so many people are having a problem with the concept that in the REAL world, your appearance really does make a difference to people, it isn't shallow, it is reality.

Code on