As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Why do geeks look like geeks?

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dude.

We already established that it is good to be CLEAN.

That said, it is not uncommon for me to be in clothes that were not hung up properly.

And I was still badass.

Man.

I'm afraid to ask what you think of Grunge.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Code wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Dude.

Not everyone actually HAS a fashion sense.

Like I said it's not hard to throw on a pair of jeans and a shirt that doesn't say something obnoxious like "You say psycho like it's a bad thing OLOLOL"

I mean that is the way I dress most of the time. It's not like I'm some super fashionable guy.

Could you maybe describe this closet attack then.

take a pair of jeans, and a shirt that you have worn for 2 days straight, get them wet, roll them into a tight ball. Now sit that ball in the back corner of your closet. Wait a week, unroll the ball, wear.

Dressing well =/= Dressing trendy. You don't have to wear homo pink polo shirts, or the horrendous blue vertical stripe button down shirt that everyone at the club wears in order to be well dressed. I can go to wal-mart, and spend 40 bucks, and look better than the asshole who dropped $200 at American Eagle. Why is it that so many people are having a problem with the concept that in the REAL world, your appearance really does make a difference to people, it isn't shallow, it is reality.

Please, that reality is made up for people who can't get the concept through thier had that not everyone likes to dress up. Sheeh, is there a massive amount of notreadingtheposttitus going around?

And what reality are you speaking of? Your brain and personality make more than the $40 or $200 dollars you spent on clothes. I talk to people (Yes *Shock! Horror!* I talk to people) regardless of clothes they are wearing. Yes (*Shock! Horror!) I will talk to the crumpled up shirt guy because he might have a great personality or he might be a genius. I care not for what a person wears because thats the last thing a person should ever do. What so I guess you don't talk to poor people because they can't afford the $40 dollars you spend at walmart?

To everyone else: Personal Hygine is not a factor because it is accepted that you have to be clean. No one is agianst this, so drop it.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Code wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Dude.

Not everyone actually HAS a fashion sense.

Like I said it's not hard to throw on a pair of jeans and a shirt that doesn't say something obnoxious like "You say psycho like it's a bad thing OLOLOL"

I mean that is the way I dress most of the time. It's not like I'm some super fashionable guy.

Could you maybe describe this closet attack then.

take a pair of jeans, and a shirt that you have worn for 2 days straight, get them wet, roll them into a tight ball. Now sit that ball in the back corner of your closet. Wait a week, unroll the ball, wear.

Dressing well =/= Dressing trendy. You don't have to wear homo pink polo shirts, or the horrendous blue vertical stripe button down shirt that everyone at the club wears in order to be well dressed. I can go to wal-mart, and spend 40 bucks, and look better than the asshole who dropped $200 at American Eagle. Why is it that so many people are having a problem with the concept that in the REAL world, your appearance really does make a difference to people, it isn't shallow, it is reality.
    The funny thing is that I'd still have given you the chance to convince me not to hang out with you by saying this even though I'd have been able to tell from a mile a way that you bought those clothes at Wal-Mart due to how they fit. Seriously, whatever happened to people wearing clothes that fit correctly?

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The funny thing is that I'd still have given you the chance to convince me not to hang out with you by saying this even though I'd have been able to tell from a mile a way that you bought those clothes at Wal-Mart due to how they fit. Seriously, whatever happened to people wearing clothes that fit correctly?

It's out the door due to trendy people or something. I'm not one to talk, though. It took me getting measured for a tux to realize that my shirts were too big. Only by 1", but still. Things felt satisfactory enough to the point where I figured it was right.

Oh, and your 'style' does make a statement about yourself. The level of significance this statement is depends on the observer, of course, but it is never inconsequential.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    There's often reasons for things that nobody bothers to discover: Most of my clothing is the wrong size for me. This is because my weight has shifted between 215 and 250 pounds for the last ten years.

Currently, I'm heading back down after a holiday of 240 (Fuck you, candy-bearing coworkers and asskiss companies), and I've started to notice that all of my LEATHER stuff is huge on me.

You don't just ho hum and buy a new leather trench coat when it's a bit baggy on you.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    moniker wrote:
    Oh, and your 'style' does make a statement about yourself. The level of significance this statement is depends on the observer, of course, but it is never inconsequential.

If people judge you on the clothes you wear and not on your personality/brains than maybe those judgements matter less.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Basically, some people dress shabbily because everything else they do is so important, so you can't just assume they're slobs because they're generally gross people.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    If people judge you on the clothes you wear and not on your personality/brains than maybe those judgements matter less.

Noone is an objective observer, though, so why pretend like it doesn't occur?

moniker on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    moniker wrote:

I am not saying it doesn't occur, I am saying that those that do so aren;t seeing you for you. If Clothes make people want to talk to you more in a "Haha you dress so cool, I will talk to you only because you dress so cool" sort of way, then no thank you. You can hog all those for yourself. I rather talk to a real person than to a fake one.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    moniker wrote:

You should fix your quote so that people don't go telling me I said shit I never said.

Also, you're wrong. How a person dresses is one of the most widely broadcast means by which they express themself. If they choose not to express themselves through their overall presentation, it shows, and it does make them seem less interesting than people who are interested in expressing themselves to people they haven't yet met. Validly. Presentation is nearly always relevant.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    moniker wrote:

I am not saying it doesn't occur, I am saying that those that do so aren;t seeing you for you. If Clothes make people want to talk to you more in a "Haha you dress so cool, I will talk to you only because you dress so cool" sort of way, then no thank you. You can hog all those for yourself. I rather talk to a real person than to a fake one.

So you have never acted/reacted to one stranger any differently than another based on no other known factors than their attire? Or are you shifting the goalposts to the point where we're only describing people who are obsessed with fashion?

moniker on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    moniker wrote:
    moniker wrote:

So you have never acted/reacted to one stranger any differently than another based on no other known factors than their attire? Or are you shifting the goalposts to the point where we're only describing people who are obsessed with fashion?

All I am saying is that if people are interested in you, they will come to you rather than come because of the clothes that a person wears. Clothes do not make a person, a persons personality/brain makes a person. Clothes are nothing more than a medium to cover yourself/save you from the weather. Wearing fancy clothes isn't making you better looking because person A who wears a $20 dollar shirt which "I Roxzorz" and person B wearing a $35 American Eagle shirt is no different because in the end they provide you with the same services. Paying more money or buying brand name gets you the brand name only.

People who shy away from person A are in fact not the interested in you and therefore, you should care less about what they think.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    moniker wrote:
    moniker wrote:

All I am saying is that if people are interested in you, they will come to you rather than come because of the clothes that a person wears. Clothes do not make a person, a persons personality/brain makes a person. Clothes are nothing more than a medium to cover yourself/save you from the weather. Wearing fancy clothes isn't making you better looking because person A who wears a $20 dollar shirt which "I Roxzorz" and person B wearing a $35 American Eagle shirt is no different because in the end they provide you with the same services. Paying more money or buying brand name gets you the brand name only.

People who shy away from person A are in fact not the interested in you and therefore, you should care less about what they think.
    So the goal-post shifting, then.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Clothing IS a useful manner of expression.

It IS a communicative art.

But like all art, you cannot always be certain of the artist's intention.

Especially when the art is plagiarized.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2007

You would react differently to a homeless dude than you would to a guy in a suit unless you're retarded. The way people dress gives you some cues as to how they're trying to present themselves.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    How can someone know they are interested in you other than by the information that you express through your personal attire? Unless you live in a town like Mayberry there are just far too many people you meet in an average day to do anything but make the most cursory or prejudiced opinion towards. Hell, that's the point of living in somewhere that's not a Mayberry. To be surrounded by strangers.

Also, if you can't tell the difference in materials and quality between a $20 shirt and a $40 shirt, that isn't my fault.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    You should probably keep in mind that, when in a SCHOOL setting or a WORK setting, you are FORCED to interact.

This allows you to learn about a person whose appearance does not readily show their finer points.

The internet is also useful for this.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Clothing IS a useful manner of expression.

It IS a communicative art.

But like all art, you cannot always be certain of the artist's intention.

Especially when the art is plagiarized.
    It's usually pretty easy to spot plagiarized art. Those people fall under my aforementioned category "people who choose not to express themselves". Honestly with how few people even bother to think about how they present themselves, attempting to express vs not is about all the distinction that matters. I'm less interested in people who don't want to express themselves than in people who do.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Incenjucar wrote:
    You should probably keep in mind that, when in a SCHOOL setting or a WORK setting, you are FORCED to interact.

This allows you to learn about a person whose appearance does not readily show their finer points.

The internet is also useful for this.

Yes, but, again, unless you live in some podunk town with a population of 12 you're not going to know everyone from school/work or relatives' school/work.

Plus, you have to get that job in order to interact with those people and get a better understanding of who they are and let them know who you are. It's not as though an HR interview and your resume is all that telling of your character. Even with extra stuff tacked on (like my portfolio) hardly gives a good description of your personality. Might as well dress to impress, then, to get your foot in the door. Afterall, once you're in you're in.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    By plagerized I meant looking like everyone else in their clique rather than a self-defined wardrobe.

For instance, I pretty much just wear black jeans, black shirts (and dress shirts when it's a more formal setting), and leather jackets.

I avoid any decorated clothing, like all that Nike crap.

I'm not following anyone else's fashion sense but my own, even if it's not all that creative.

--

I'm not saying anything against dressing to impress. Just that it should only be taken for what it is: the person knows how to dress.

The worst people in the world are decent enough dressers.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I have said it before, and I will say it agian. I do not see the reason why anyone is agianst anyone dressing in thier own way. Why does anyone have to be dresses well so people can look at them. Its thier style let them do as they please.
    You would react differently to a homeless dude than you would to a guy in a suit unless you're retarded. The way people dress gives you some cues as to how they're trying to present themselves.

So what? Are you blaming the homeless guy for the situation he/she is in. Just because they can't have proper clothes you somehow think that they are different? Its nice to see how much you value human beings. Saying hello does not devalue you clothes or your self worth or are they "homeless" and thus under you somehow?
    Also, if you can't tell the difference in materials and quality between a $20 shirt and a $40 shirt, that isn't my fault.

The point wasn't the price. The point is that both provide a means to the end. Regardless of paying $20 or $40, you get the same design: collar, sleeves and body. It doesn't protect you better, its just there. It doesn't signify who you are, it signifies you have money.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Honestly, very little of my cloathing fits well. Now, you have to understand... most of it is 5 to 10 years old.

I recently threw out 3 yard waste sized garbage bags full of cloathing that I do not or should not wear anymore. I'm kinda wierd size wise, so finding stuff that fits right is a little hard. Like, my neck is way to big for my body, so I can't wear a dress shirt that the neck fits, the sleves are the right length, and the chest is small enough, unless I drop a bunch of money on stuff where they are all independent of each othere and even then it is really hard to find. Most of the time if I find something that doesn't give me a freaking neck roll and half choke me, I have an extra yard of fabric around the torso.

Same thing with pants, particularly if I want something that fits my waist and not my hips and does not crush my nuts.

I hate shopping, and wandering around a mall for 3 hours to find mabey 2 pair of pants and a few shirts that fit right is a fucking nightmare.

wow, Ash, you sound really deep, senstive, open minded and understanding. I wish more people were like you.

They arn't, but it sure would be nice if people could see though my shitty hair and crappy cloathing as soon as the met me. It would save me all sorts of work down the road, if their first impressions were accurate.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Incenjucar wrote:
    By plagerized I meant looking like everyone else in their clique rather than a self-defined wardrobe.
    That fits into the meaning I was using, though my usage was intended to be broader than that.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    As for the business aspect, the employer doesn't care if that is an armani suit or if its bought from moors. Certainly I don't. I look for cleanliness and if the person grooms themselves well does. I also look at the standard of education. Its extremely hard to impress me in an interview when I do it for programmers, just by thier clothes. It shows little to nothing about them.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I have said it before, and I will say it agian. I do not see the reason why anyone is agianst anyone dressing in thier own way. Why does anyone have to be dresses well so people can look at them. Its thier style let them do as they please.

So what? Are you blaming the homeless guy for the situation he/she is in. Just because they can't have proper clothes you somehow think that they are different? Its nice to see how much you value human beings. Saying hello does not devalue you clothes or your self worth or are they "homeless" and thus under you somehow?

The point wasn't the price. The point is that both provide a means to the end. Regardless of paying $20 or $40, you get the same design: collar, sleeves and body. It doesn't protect you better, its just there. It doesn't signify who you are, it signifies you have money.
    Did you know that by choosing to argue an extreme you have turned everyone who was arguing against friedchicken-dude or whatever against yourself as well and that many of us are regarding both of your positions with equal regard at this point even though you're arguing opposite positions?

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited January 2007

They can do whatever they want, it's a free country. That doesn't make their self expression, or lack thereof, any less of a sign to the world around them of their character, or lack thereof, in the few minutes of interaction they will have with the tens-hundreds-thousands of people they'll run into. (depending) Or do you try and hold a deep and meaningful conversation with everyone you happen to meet on a busy street to better understand who they are?

How the fuck did you infer any of that from his post?

It doesn't protect you better, its just there.

:lol:
    Please tell me you weren't being serious, just argumentative for the sake of responding.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    As for the business aspect, the employer doesn't care if that is an armani suit or if its bought from moors. Certainly I don't. I look for cleanliness and if the person grooms themselves well does. I also look at the standard of education. Its extremely hard to impress me in an interview when I do it for programmers, just by thier clothes. It shows little to nothing about them.

But you do seem to care about the fact that he's wearing a suit (regardless of the fit, style, materials, etc of it) and not, say, shorts and a wife beater.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited January 2007

Did you know that by choosing to argue an extreme you have turned everyone who was arguing against friedchicken-dude or whatever against yourself as well and that many of us are regarding both of your positions with equal regard at this point even though you're arguing opposite positions?

I hardly see it nessesary to tell people to dress a certain way just because they have to "be creative" over something. What damn care do people have if they don't want to be creative? Will it end the world?
    Please tell me you weren't being serious, just argumentative for the sake of responding

So what does the $40 dollar shirt have -1 to cold or -1 to heat weather? I serious, what does a $40 dollar shirt from American Eagle have thats so important?

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2007
    Fuck off. I've spent a fair amount of time with homeless people, and I don't regard them as "under me". But noticing that someone is homeless based upon the way they're dressed is one of those basic social skills that 6 year olds can grasp.

When you're talking to a homeless guy, do you chat about the stock market? Reference a golf tournament or a regatta event? Maybe you ask him where he works, talk about local real estate values, or which part of town he lives in?

No you don't do any of these, because you fucking noticed he's homeless based upon the way he's dressed.

You're taking the laudible sentiment of "don't disvalue people based upon how they dress" to a retarded extreme.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I hardly see it nessesary to tell people to dress a certain way just because they have to "be creative" over something. What damn care do people have if they don't want to be creative? Will it end the world?
    Refusing to actually read other people's posts before responding to them isn't helping you either.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Refusing to actually read other people's posts before responding to them isn't helping you either.

Whoops, Sorry, wrong quote.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Please tell me you weren't being serious, just argumentative for the sake of responding

So what does the $40 dollar shirt have -1 to cold or -1 to heat weather? I serious, what does a $40 dollar shirt from American Eagle have thats so important?

ehh... not sure about american eagle. Not really sure about $40 shirts either. But... genrally, more expensive shirts have a better fit, slightly better material and more attention to detail in the manufacturing. Tend to have more precise sizes than s, m, etc.

redx on
  • Options
    edited January 2007

In a less DnD sense, yes. Varieties in material interact to cold or heat differently. You'd know this if you lived on the planet Earth. For instance a sweater that is made of cashmere is warmer than one of wool. Merino wool is better than coarse wool in more ways than just how soft it feels. Moving away from the actual materials of the shirt, strength of the stitching, the location of the stitching, the fit, the etc. Are you aware of what the word 'quality' is actually defined as? I can link you to the OED if you don't.

moniker on
  • Options
    QuillbladeQuillblade Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I apoligize for length, I have read everything though, and thought I would say something.

I beleive that stereotypes are a way of creating public symbols that represent concepts too vast to be understood in detail, so they are oversimplified and given names. It seems like legend or mythology, where a kernal of truth is hidden in a story so that the idea or stays around in the public mindspace.

I think the 'jock' stereotype is a symbol representing a collection of things; our ability as people to focus on ourselves, and improve our bodies and abilities with dedication and practice. It offers its reward, increased power and improved abilities, positive genetic reproduction cues, and its own well respected social group. It also offers a warning against focusing on yourself too much and neglecting other parts of your life. You may become arrogant, concieted, bullying, self-centered, or power-hungry. The positives and negatives we associate with that word, that symbol, are the promised results of an underlying mindset and approach that can be undertaken by anyone should they have the need and desire to do so.

I think the 'geek' stereotype represents our ability to focus on the world around us, and to improve our world and ourselves through learning and through putting that knowledge into practice. Its rewards are the abilities to solve difficult challenges and complex patterns, to understand and manipulate the world around us, achieving extraordainary power and a place remembered by history. Its warning signs come when we neglect ourselves in the pursuit of understanding and achievement. The body may become weak or be in poor health, you may lose sight of the importance of relationships, that you may become ignorant of the views of others, and that you will suffer at the hands of fools.

There is another symbol associated with this one, the 'Mad Scientist', which warns that certain types of knowledge are harmful and dangerous to us, and that we should tread this path with caution, for we cannot unlearn even the most terrible of things.

To answer the question then, of why jock look like 'jocks' and geeks look like 'geeks', is because that although the terms and images they provoke seem clear and simple, they represent a huge collection of different paths that people can take when living thier lives. We are what we do, and when a person follows the ideals contained in one of these symbols to the point where it becomes apparent, that symbol, that collection of thoughts, becomes and is the word we use to describe them.

Quillblade on
    Owl cocked his head and asked,"What should I inquire about?"
    Raven said, "Good start".
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    i buy pretty most of my shit from men's express because i enjoy the crispness of style in their dressier pants and shirts, and everything in the medium size fits me perfectly.

i wear pumas because i like the direction the stripe on the side goes, and because they have some truly gorgeous shoes. pumas also allow me to start a conversation with adidas wearers, as i can talk about the entertaining rivalry between the two companies (they were founded by brothers who hated each other). it's a cheap icebreaker. with respect to brands, i dress with intention, adn the extra $10-20 i pay because i don't shop at k-mart is, i think, with good reason (though men's express has some of the killerest sales i've ever fucking seen).

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    TreelootTreeloot Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    redx wrote:
    I recently threw out 3 yard waste sized garbage bags full of cloathing that I do not or should not wear anymore.

Man, donate that stuff to Goodwill, the DAV, or Salvation Army next time.

Treeloot on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    (though men's express has some of the killerest sales i've ever fucking seen).

Like 80% off currently :shock:

I work in a software engineering portion of TimeWarner Cable (not AOL I would shoot myself if I worked for AOL). The other programmers in my office actually made fun of me the first week of work because I dressed nicely. Everyone around the office dresses very casually. I have noticed that if I go out for drinks with coworkers, everyone tends to dress up as soon as they step out of the office. These days I dress more stylish than the rest of my coworkers but still pretty casual. As soon as I step out of the office and go to dinner I definitely dress much nicer and pay more attention to detail when doing my hair. I don't know if this happens in other people's offices but this could be the cause of the dorky look at the office.

Also, the "dorky" people may not be around anyone who gives them a hard time, jokingly or not, about their clothes/hair. I know when I worked at my college job there were some people there that were more fashionly inclined than I. A few times I made fashion faux pas and my coworkers would point it out half jokingly.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Treeloot wrote:
    redx wrote:
    I recently threw out 3 yard waste sized garbage bags full of cloathing that I do not or should not wear anymore.

I thought about it, but it was pretty much all in horible condition. Like, cuff frayed, and holes from being washed hundreds of times.

Like, I've had some of that stuff since I was in 7th grade, and that was, like, more than a decade ago.

most of it still, more or less, fit. I've gained about 15 pounds in that time.

redx on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    redx wrote:
    Treeloot wrote:
    redx wrote:

I thought about it, but it was pretty much all in horible condition. Like, cuff frayed, and holes from being washed hundreds of times.

Like, I've had some of that stuff since I was in 7th grade, and that was, like, more than a decade ago.

most of it still, more or less, fit. I've gained about 15 pounds in that time.

I just gave a bunch of stuff away to Goodwilll and a lot of it was hideous or worn out, but I figured I would give them the choice of throwing it away. If they had a slight possibility of using it I think it given to them, though I could be horribly wrong and that has the possibility of incurring labor costs for people to sort through clothes, but I doubt it.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    I fucking hate it when people dress like slobs, and give casualness or comfort as the reason. They can't seem to get it in their thick heads that "casual" doesn't mean "lazy", and you can pay attention to your appearance and still be comfortable.

Basically the amount of attention you pay to your looks before going out in front of other people is an indication of a combination of the following:

1- How much you respect yourself
    2- How much you respect others and care about the impression you make on them
    3- How "calibrated" you are towards social trends, how much you "get it"

As far as stereotypes go, "geeks" typically don't have number 2 and 3, because, well, they typically are (as far as the stereotype goes) not social. This has been changing lately in recent years as software and engineering companies have started looking for employees who actually have some people skills, but I think the core of the stereotype will always exist in some form and be recognized as such.

Personally I despise people who wear shit they wear at home to school or something. Sandals + sweatpants = what the fuck man. Go shoot yourself. Like, you don't have to try too hard (like those girls who put on make-up to school for example), but at least try to look presentable for fuck's sake.

ege02 on