As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So, I just did something rather stupid. Also, a question about broken glass.

DrezDrez Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I recently broke a window.

Today, I decided to remove all the broken glass. I was using work/utility gloves but didn't even think to wear protective goggles. One part of the caulk was really tough to get off so I started using a scissors on it to try to pry that shard loose from the wood and I felt a bunch of particles fly toward my face, specifically my eyes.

I think some of the particles (and by particles, I don't mean "really tiny shards" but literally particles no larger than dust particles) were glass. I'm not sure. It could have been all dust. But I think some of it might have been glass.

Anyway, my reflexes might have caught it before any of it entered my eye. My face was 2-3 feet from the window...I wasn't, like, staring directly at it. But anyway, I quickly doused my left eye with warm soapy water and then cold water.

Is that sufficient? I mean, if any glass particles actually got in my eye, I would feel them, right? I do feel like my left eye is a bit...warm or something...but that is probably because I doused it with warm soapy water. I don't feel any pain and when I looked at the eye I didn't see any lacerations or anything.

I'm probably overthinking it, but I just want to know if anyone thinks something COULD have gotten in that may present complications later on down the line even if I can't detect anything right now.

My eyes are important to me.

=====

The other question:

I got all the broken glass out of the window. It's sitting on a few sheets of newspaper. What's the best way to dispose of this? (I'm in New York City if that matters.)

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
Drez on

• Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    throw it in a trashcan?

Your eyes are probably ok, flush again with just warm water, leave them alone and look in the morning if there's redness. unless there are shards in your eye, a doctor would probably just have you flush your eye with saline anyways. I can't think of any other way for them to get glass particles out.

PS don't use soap in your eyes.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Rinse them with water. Try to do so without blinking.

But I imagine you have blinked since the problem. If you aren't experiencing pain, aren't seeing any spots in your field of vision, and don't see any blood accumulating on your eye, you should be fine.

But to be on the safe side, just start rinsing with saline solution.

Sheep on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Go to a doctor if you're concerned. If there isn't pain, you're probably OK though. Your eyes are VERY sensitive to foreign particles.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I just feel kind of sleepy. No pain. I think that's a combination of (a) stress and (b) the warm water.

Drez on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Most likely, you would be well aware that you had glass in your eye. If not pain, you would at least have an itching sensation.

A doctor would be able to tell for certain, but if you can't feel anything, you're most likely okay.

Edit: As for disposal, just toss it in the trash.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    throw it in a trashcan?

Doesn't glass have to be recycled? I thought you had to dispose of big shards carefully. I don't want to get sued for getting the sanitation workers that come around here all cut up.

Drez on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Washing it out with warm water is probably all you can do to help it. If your eyes don't hurt and aren't irritated you're probably fine. You'd know right away if something was in your eye.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    as long as it's in a trashbag you should be fine. i'm not sure if window glass can be recycled at all honestly. but i am not sure, nor do i know the rules in NY. Are you forced to recycle there? I mean... you should, but i can't see how they would enforce something like that.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    They won't balk at broken glass from a window sill. They'll get pissy if you're tossing out soda cans into your trash bags and they find out though.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeah you have to recycle here, but I just looked at the Albany website and it states that "broken glass is NOT recyclable" so that answers that.

I wrapped it in some newspaper and threw it in a regular trash bag.

Thanks all :)

edit: Also, I'm going to attempt to fix the window myself. It's only about $20 for two 32"x9" panes of glass and it looks simple as hell to install on my own so I'm going to try.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Generally Drez, NYS won't come after you if it's a one off thing, they're mostly concerned about people who make a habit of throwing away cans, jars, etc. A window pane is the least of their concern. Just for your future information. At least where I am in NYS.

bowen on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Glass is easy to install. Just wear goggles this time. And, prep the area well and be sure what goes where before you start to place the glass. For some reason, I'm getting the image of you being 5 or 6 stories up fiddling with glass overlooking the street... no one wants that shit falling on them.

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    GungHo wrote: »
    Glass is easy to install. Just wear goggles this time. And, prep the area well and be sure what goes where before you start to place the glass. For some reason, I'm getting the image of you being 5 or 6 stories up fiddling with glass overlooking the street... no one wants that shit falling on them.

Back window, first floor, really easy.

Drez on
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Eyes are sensitive but it takes more than little particles to cause real damage. I took a tremendously hard punch to the face 3 years ago that basically landed right into my right eye, and no permanent effects aside from a little black dot in my vision every now and then. got a scar right below the eyebrow too.

Urian on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Urian wrote: »
    Eyes are sensitive but it takes more than little particles to cause real damage. I took a tremendously hard punch to the face 3 years ago that basically landed right into my right eye, and no permanent effects aside from a little black dot in my vision every now and then. got a scar right below the eyebrow too.

The image in your signature makes this hilarious.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Urian wrote: »

The image in your signature makes this hilarious.

haha yeah

Urian on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    GungHo wrote: »

If you don't care about the effeciency of your windows, do it yourself. If you do, you're installing useless windows when it comes to heat/cold trapping. Many double pane windows have a special gas in between the panes to help keep in the heat/cold.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment