As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Zeboyd Games Megathread]: Penny Arcade Adventures Ep 3 Out NOW!

• Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    Is there a list anywhere of what skills are based on Strength or Magic? Someone needs to put a FAQ together on character stats/level up options methinks. :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    RBach wrote:
    Is there a list anywhere of what skills are based on Strength or Magic? Someone needs to put a FAQ together on character stats/level up options methinks. :)

Strength - If it says "Physical" as its type and lists a power level and number of hits. (Fuck off, Sandstorm.)
    Magic - If it says anything else.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    +1 steam purchase! Looking forward to finally playing through both games.

Also, knowing that your next planned game may be metroidvania in style makes me very, very happy.

edit: CSTW had a very small mention on the Giantbomb Cast today, there is a small chance they'll be doing a Quicklook......

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    An update: Giant Bomb are doing a Quick Look on friday.

This could be a very good thing!

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I love Deathblow too much to use combo breakers. I dunno how 'ideal' my party is, but Sharpe being able to do 6000+ damage deathblow after all of 4 turns of combo building? Sign me up.
    This was against Ember, mind. He died so hard. Poor guy. :(

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    I'm the exact opposite. I like multi-heal and full-heal far to much to build up the combo.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    And the double pack is waiting for me at home. Tomorrow I can start with em :D yay!

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    plufim wrote:
    An update: Giant Bomb are doing a Quick Look on friday.

This could be a very good thing!

Hopefully they like the games! Looks like they're doing both BoD7 and CStW.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
  • Options
    VaevictisAVaevictisA Registered User new member
    It's uuuuup!

• Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/07/cthulhu-catches-up-indie-rpg-struggles-on-xbox-thrives-on-steam.ars
    "In less than a week, our Steam revenue has actually exceeded over a year and a half of XBLIG revenue for us," Boyd told Ars.

Congrats!

XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    Seems like the Giant Bomb guys liked it. At least Ryan did, anyway.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    It was the most genial non-positive response I've heard on the Bombcast. They said they weren't sure if it was funny.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure it's funny, either

Ryan seems to dig it though

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    I'm glad that they enjoyed it, but just from watching the video, it seemed like they didn't quite get it. I'm guessing they're not very experienced with 8-bit and 16-bit era console RPGs.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Kinda always wanted to get Cthulu, but couldn't because my 360 was out of commission. So what the hell, the PC pack is only 2 bucks. And I have an excuse to play through BoD again. :)

Just one little thing... does neither game support gamepads or something? The option is there in the menu, but when I plug in my PS3 controller, absolutely nothing happens. I'm not terribly annoyed, I can always just use Joy2key or something. I just found it puzzling.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Kinda always wanted to get Cthulu, but couldn't because my 360 was out of commission. So what the hell, the PC pack is only 2 bucks. And I have an excuse to play through BoD again. :)

Just one little thing... does neither game support gamepads or something? The option is there in the menu, but when I plug in my PS3 controller, absolutely nothing happens. I'm not terribly annoyed, I can always just use Joy2key or something. I just found it puzzling.
    native 360 controller support only, actually.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    heenato wrote:

Pfft, racists!

Ah well, doesn't bother me.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    heenato wrote:

Pfft, racists!

I assume this is due to the fact that is a ported verson of an XBLIG game. I'm sure XNA is plenty helpful to get you to map actions to XBox360 buttons. Not being a programmer, I imagine that offering support for multiple joypads was probably more trouble for them than it was worth, in the long run.

Also, good job on setting a smart price point to get your product out there to the masses. I imagine that having games with a low barrier for entry will pay off in the end. The first hit is always free, or so my drug dealer told me.

Lowlander on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    With the success of this game, is there any chance you could get it released generally on Xbox live arcade? With my PC with steam firmly in the grave - I can't believe my luck actually - I would really love to get these games on Xbox live arcade (I don't have access to indie games sadly, being international). Either that, I will have to get them when I pick up a new PC in the nebulous future.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    KorlashKorlash Québécois TorontoRegistered User regular
    You're in luck. The xbox live arcade versions were actually out a while ago. It's only last week that the PC versions came out!

396796-1.png
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    Korlash wrote:
    You're in luck. The xbox live arcade versions were actually out a while ago. It's only last week that the PC versions came out!

XBLIG != XBLAG, brosef

also, I'm assuming that RBD and slash can't at this time get their game on XBLA because of the much higher cost to list it etc

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Spent 2 hours on CSTW last night. I like it, the level up mechanic is pretty addictive and the random encounter system is great. I just have issues figuring out what skills are based off strength. Umi's flood, for example, is pretty sweet for grinding levels. It's a spell, right?

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    heenato wrote:

Pfft, racists!

Yeah, I've been using a SNES controller with joy2key. Works perfectly.

I beat BoD a few days ago and then started up CSTW. Despite the advice earlier in the thread, I'm really happy I played BoD first. I didn't find it too challenging (people were saying BoD is harder), and it's really nice to have that perspective going into CSTW to see how much more advanced it is. I love the bigger battles, the increased options for customization, the animations, the cutscenes, the music...it all kicks ass. I just got October in my party and I'm enjoying the carnage the party can unleash in big random battles now. Also, things seem nicely balanced.

Oh, also, I've been playing on a netbook. BoD played flawlessly. CSTW runs fine as well, but there's some slowdown on certain maps. At first I thought it was towns that caused the slowdown, but I just got to the second screen of the misty forest and that's causing it too. It's just when I'm on the maps. Battle screens and everything else (including sub-maps, like inside buildings and such) are perfect.

• Options
    So....
    Soulcaster boss is kicking my ass. Just sayin. Unnnggg. Grind time.

Good times for all, good times.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    quote="Korlash"]You're in luck. The xbox live arcade versions were actually out a while ago. It's only last week that the PC versions came out![/quote]

XBox Indie games aren't available in all regions and Aegeri is I believe from upsidedown land.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular

MotionJoy can support a PS3 controller emulating a 360 controller, and works over USB if you don't have a BT dongle. It works pretty well. Worth a shot.

XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    Well, beat the bonus boss, beat the game, huzzah and all. Now to play Cthulhu's angels. Because the battle music is hotness.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote:

To be fair, Jeff didn't tear it a new asshole.
    Which probably means he likes it.
    I think they were pretty good to it. Besides, it will just showcase it to people and any one who watches it will know if it is the type of game they would like.

"lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    PatboyX wrote:
    SteevL wrote:

To be fair, Jeff didn't tear it a new asshole.
    Which probably means he likes it.
    I think they were pretty good to it. Besides, it will just showcase it to people and any one who watches it will know if it is the type of game they would like.

Yeah, I found myself laughing at the "What if we make the enemy INSAAAAAANE?!" bits, myself. And they both seemed more into it when they started playing CStW.

The site comments generally seemed positive. Overall, I'd guess it's a net positive.

I still need to play through BoD. Kind of got sidetracked with Borderlands and Bastion.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Do yourself a favor and never insane those flying heart enemies.

It's not that they get any stronger or whatever.

It's just that the sprite is a thing that shouldn't be seen.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    What does making enemies insane actually do anyway? I seem to do more damage, but I'm not sure how much, if there's a downside, if only Cthulhu gets the bonus, etc.

• Options
    It does more damage to enemies, but I think to most of the bosses, it lets them do more damage as well.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    Hey guys, IGN reviewed CSTW!

http://pc.ign.com/articles/118/1183771p1.html

8 out of 10:
    Closing Comments
    Poking fun at H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos in the framework of a classical Japanese role-playing game may not be the most obvious choice when dreaming up a game. Yet that's exactly what Zeboyd Games chose to make, and with Cthulhu Saves the World, pulled it off with great success. It's a surprisingly entertaining adventure, deeply respectful of its source material, and not afraid to make jokes and game design adjustments where appropriate. Though the story is always good for a laugh, the gameplay drags toward the end, and if you missed out on old Final Fantasy games or aren't familiar with Lovecraft some of the humor won't make as much sense. Still, for its sliver of a target audience – traditional Japanese role-playing fans that happen to love H.P. Lovecraft's stories – Cthulhu Saves the World is a perfect fit. For the rest, it's still easy to enjoy, even if you don't get all the jokes.

• Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    heenato wrote:
    It does more damage to enemies, but I think to most of the bosses, it lets them do more damage as well.

Pretty much - Enemies take more damage, but deal more damage as well. Some characters get stat boosts to certain things when enemies are insane. And then there are certain enemies that inflict different types of attacks or other moves when insane versus not insane.

Kupi wrote:
    Do yourself a favor and never insane those flying heart enemies.

It's not that they get any stronger or whatever.

It's just that the sprite is a thing that shouldn't be seen.

Hahah. We actually discussed that enemy in more detail before I drew it. The concept was - make it as cute as possible in normal state, and as disgusting as possible when insane. :P

slash000 on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Rent wrote:
    Korlash wrote:

XBLIG != XBLAG, brosef

also, I'm assuming that RBD and slash can't at this time get their game on XBLA because of the much higher cost to list it etc

They'd need a devkit to publish on XBLA and I believe you can't get a devkit without being a company located in a building--one that's not a residence--that's considered secure for the devkit to take up residence in. Also money to buy that devkit and the cost of getting an ESRB rating are costs they don't have for XBLIG nor PC.

• Options
    SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    slash000 wrote:

Hot god damn, you guys actually outscored Recettear.

Congrats again, guys. You deserve all the money hats you are going to wear because of this.

pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    So, I found some more party build suggestions, and I wanted to know if they're way off base or not.
    Cthulhu (dark)
    Pick his flame/strike and dark/strike, passive +50 dark, kraken with the higher combo, poison spell,insane enemies give higher strength 10%, change insane enemies will die or if you want easier boss battles hp bane.
    His kraken is a must have during boss battles as it attacks every round.

Focused on strength as it will increase the strike/magic spells of dark and if you have embres fire enhancement spell you can do alot of damage with the fire strike

Umi (elec)
    Focused on magic and electric passive 50%, make sure you pick thors and pick up sirens call. Blind 80% is a must for the tough boss battles and slow doesnt really seam to be a pickup unless you want 60% blind which works maybe 50% of the time. Seal is also great for stopping enemies who use certain attacks or healing. Pretty much like a mute spell.
    Pick her healing spells which revive x1 and max heal etc... saves on potions.
    Stun, blind, slow, seal (mute)
    water monsters will suffer from elec

Sharpe (wind)
    Pick str/agil and focus on wind attacks and the higher of the combos, sharpen, deathblow are a must though alot of people would take his +1 hit passives over this. is this really that much of a biggie over 50% wind damage? Honestly 50% passive to wind makes his spells and strikes/wind do 50% more damage.
    His deathblow with a combo of 50+ can kill any enemy in the game!

October (earth)
    Honestly october is the god of elemental spells.
    Pick many of each element and make sure you get that hellfire spell which does fire damage each round like kraken. I upgraded her passive to earth since umi is electric. Pick the higher combo spells and try to max out snowstorm to x6 (highest combo spell in the game).
    focus on magic attributes and probably will power

Paws (water/ice)
    Focus on agility/str and water/ice spells. Get his snowstorm x6 and back stab. Tenticles etc...
    Fire cave foes will melt!

Dacre (stat enhancements)
    Upgrade his magic and take any spell ability which will give bonuses to stats and such. He will be a big resistant builder and more of an assistant to help make the other characters stronger. Giving more agility to paws and more strength to sharpe or more magic power to october.

Embre (fire)
    The big bad dragon! Pick strength and make sure you get the spell which makes fire 100% more effective
    He doesnt wear any armor and does have a low magic mp but fire enhancement makes
    cthulu/sharpes fire strikes do big damage! Ice cave foes will melt!

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    datac0redatac0re Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So I started BoD the other day and didn't get very far. Today, I figured I'd play again but completely forgot what the different stats (agility, will, etc) mean. I cannot for the life of me find this out on the internets. Can someone please enlighten me?

Oh and also - is my OCD of checking every vase, tombstone, bookshelf, etc. going to pay off like in Final Fantasy where sometimes items are found in them, or does this game solely have things in chests?

datac0re on
  • Options
    KorlashKorlash Québécois TorontoRegistered User regular
    übergeek wrote:
    So, I found some more party build suggestions, and I wanted to know if they're way off base or not.
    Cthulhu (dark)
    Pick his flame/strike and dark/strike, passive +50 dark, kraken with the higher combo, poison spell,insane enemies give higher strength 10%, change insane enemies will die or if you want easier boss battles hp bane.
    His kraken is a must have during boss battles as it attacks every round.

Focused on strength as it will increase the strike/magic spells of dark and if you have embres fire enhancement spell you can do alot of damage with the fire strike

Umi (elec)
    Focused on magic and electric passive 50%, make sure you pick thors and pick up sirens call. Blind 80% is a must for the tough boss battles and slow doesnt really seam to be a pickup unless you want 60% blind which works maybe 50% of the time. Seal is also great for stopping enemies who use certain attacks or healing. Pretty much like a mute spell.
    Pick her healing spells which revive x1 and max heal etc... saves on potions.
    Stun, blind, slow, seal (mute)
    water monsters will suffer from elec

Sharpe (wind)
    Pick str/agil and focus on wind attacks and the higher of the combos, sharpen, deathblow are a must though alot of people would take his +1 hit passives over this. is this really that much of a biggie over 50% wind damage? Honestly 50% passive to wind makes his spells and strikes/wind do 50% more damage.
    His deathblow with a combo of 50+ can kill any enemy in the game!

October (earth)
    Honestly october is the god of elemental spells.
    Pick many of each element and make sure you get that hellfire spell which does fire damage each round like kraken. I upgraded her passive to earth since umi is electric. Pick the higher combo spells and try to max out snowstorm to x6 (highest combo spell in the game).
    focus on magic attributes and probably will power

Paws (water/ice)
    Focus on agility/str and water/ice spells. Get his snowstorm x6 and back stab. Tenticles etc...
    Fire cave foes will melt!

Dacre (stat enhancements)
    Upgrade his magic and take any spell ability which will give bonuses to stats and such. He will be a big resistant builder and more of an assistant to help make the other characters stronger. Giving more agility to paws and more strength to sharpe or more magic power to october.

Embre (fire)
    The big bad dragon! Pick strength and make sure you get the spell which makes fire 100% more effective
    He doesnt wear any armor and does have a low magic mp but fire enhancement makes
    cthulu/sharpes fire strikes do big damage! Ice cave foes will melt!

Not sure I agree with all of the recommendations.
    Kraken is kind of useless when your attacks are doing 10 times as much damage.

And Paws should really be made into an "Attack" character. With the +hits from his weapons, tentacles! and level ups, and with unstable form, he can be your best damage dealer with his regular attacks.

Ember is a total waste of time. I guess you can boost flame strike, but that's a waste of a character slot. Just put points into dark strike for Cthulu and sword dance for Sharpe, which are better attacks to begin with, and get a better character in your party than Ember (Paws is really good).

396796-1.png