As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Discuss Cars

stahstah Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I've been bitten by the new car bug. Well, more of the "new to me" car bug, but still. :P

I'm still a few months off (about 3 - 6 really) but I like to get a jump start of finding exactly what I want. With my last car (2002 Ford Focus), I did a lot of research before I found the car and knew exactly what I was looking for and what to expect as it gained in years. Now I've grown out of the Focus (I'll most likely still keep it as a beater), so I'm wanting something a little more fun to drive. So I turn to PA to help makes suggestions on cars.

Basically, what I'm asking is for suggestions to go along with the cars I'm looking at below. I'm planning on spending between $16K - $20K. Only other real rule is it needs to be "sporty" (I consider muscles cars sporty). Keep in mind, I'm in South Carolina so I don't have to worry much about snow/ice.

Right now, I'm really leaning towards an '05 - '08 Ford Mustang V8 w/ 5-Speed transmission. The biggest issue I have with this is gas mileage will be terrible and there is no auxiliary input in the radio stock (that I've seen). But, it's got the power and has a nice after market (I've never modified my cars but a strong after market means parts are generally cheaper, too).

Next up is the '07 - '08 Mazdaspeed3. It's fast, it has a ton of nice features (it is considered a top of the line model), and it has received extremely great reviews. But it looks extremely "Fast and Furious"-ish. Also, I'm not sure how fun it would be to work on a complex turbo engine.

Finally, I've considered an '06 - '08 Nissan 350Z. It looks the part and has a nice engine, but it is a 2-seater. I know the Infiniti is pretty much the same car with 2+2 seating, but my room mate has that and I'm not sure how I feel about having the same car as him. Plus, it's rare to find a manual transmission in an Infiniti.

Anyway, I'd really like some opinions on these cars or maybe even some horror stories about them. I'd also like some suggestions about other cars that are similar that I may have overlooked.

Thanks!

stah on

• Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think the Nissan is fun to drive, but along with the Mustang, not too comfortable to sleep in...or drive.

I've only been in a Stang once and the experience was lacking sensible components. A lot of the vehicle simply didn't...make...sense, but it looked cool from the outside.

I've heard good things about the Mazda. Then again, it looks like a hybrid caravan, hatchback.

You obviously want a fast car. My recommendation is the BMW M3.

Slider on
  • Options
    SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Mustang: Yeah gas mileage is going to decrease (significantly from your focus (2.0 Zetec I presume)) but hey it's a 4.6 Modular Ford. Parts are plentiful and CHEAP. Not to mention they are quite fun to hoon the shit out of. They are a bit on the uncomfortable side and forget it if you're used to having any sort of decent visibility

MS3: God dang these are cars. A lot of power (almost too much for the lightweight FWD design), decent fuel economy if you stay off the displacement modifier and, like you said, a lot of features. Mazda tends to have problems with their radio/dash systems though, from being erratic light flashing to complete cutting out. The engine is fairly complicated, but for routine maintenance it's no worse than most others

350Z: Cramped. Enthusiast car, almost to the core. They're not comfortable, they feel like they're riding on bricks, but holy hell are they FUN to drive. Excellent driving experience; you feel (and are in control of) near everything. Not too easy to work on though

My thoughts on the Infiniti - Now that's a car worth ponying up for. The G35 coupe is, like you said, a 2+2 350Z with nicer appointments. Suspension is easier to deal with, it's a good bit more comfortable and a lot of the coupés were built with 6MTs. However what takes the cake for me is the G35 Sport sedan. More room than a single gent needs. Still got that 300+ hp VQ35DE, can be found in 6MT trim and just looks, sounds and feels like a badass

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm a long time Mustang driver here. My vote is for the stang. They're fun to drive and relatively inexpensive. I can't speak for the 05+ cars, I haven't made my way into one, but I've owned 3 fox bodies and a '99 Cobra and at 6'2"-3" I have WAY more space for my body and legroom to get my legs straightened out a bit when driving than in just about every other car I've been in, including my old Taurus SHO. I personally find the stangs very comfortable. They are a bit cheap feeling/looking inside, though, although the 05+ are a step up from the ones I've owned.

They're also not significantly worse gas mileage than other cars with similar performance. Another thing to keep in mind is that I get way higher highway mileage than the car is actually rated at.

To me, the biggest thing to watch out for is the shifter. The shifters tend to be way too far forward and some people just can't get used to it.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    you should decide what car you want - and then shop in that category

the cars you described are really different, and fulfill different roles... a FWD turbo hatchback is quite different than a large displacement RWD luxury coupe...

drive all the cars on your list and then decide

i'd also highly suggest a mazda miata as they're fun as hell and a convertible top is a great bonus on your 2nd sporty car... then try a Subaru WRX and a Mitsubishi Evo - Turbo AWD is a VERY different experience and worth trying IMHO - you might love it

illig on
  • Options
    krushkrush Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Jimmy King wrote: »
    I'm a long time Mustang driver here. My vote is for the stang. They're fun to drive and relatively inexpensive. I can't speak for the 05+ cars, I haven't made my way into one, but I've owned 3 fox bodies and a '99 Cobra and at 6'2"-3" I have WAY more space for my body and legroom to get my legs straightened out a bit when driving than in just about every other car I've been in, including my old Taurus SHO. I personally find the stangs very comfortable. They are a bit cheap feeling/looking inside, though, although the 05+ are a step up from the ones I've owned.

They're also not significantly worse gas mileage than other cars with similar performance. Another thing to keep in mind is that I get way higher highway mileage than the car is actually rated at.

To me, the biggest thing to watch out for is the shifter. The shifters tend to be way too far forward and some people just can't get used to it.

I had a SHO... First Gen, 5 Speed manual. God that thing was fun to drive.

krush on
  • Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    krush wrote: »
    Jimmy King wrote: »

I had a SHO... First Gen, 5 Speed manual. God that thing was fun to drive.
    Hi 5! I had a 2nd gen. It was one of the big factors in me getting the Cobra over a GT. I couldn't take the comparatively low red line in the SOHC 4.6.

And back to the OP, yes, while my personal preference is the Mustang, you should follow illig's advice and go drive several of them. Those are all different cars that are fun to drive in different ways.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The Mazda speed 3 is hella fun but torque-steers like a mother. But really really fun. I'm personally looking in to getting an 04-06 WRX Impreza and possibly doing an STI swap on it.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I have a '06 GT. It's plenty comfortable if you're the driver or front passenger. Back... not unless you're Vern Troyer. Visibility sucks. Gas milage sucks (it's a V8... what do you expect?).

I looked at the 350z, but I "sit wide" when I drive, so my thigh was often rubbing against the seat adjustment lever, which is on top of the goddamn seat. No idea why they did this. It irritated the shit out of me... so I bought the GT.

GungHo on
  • Options
    wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You could also consider the Volvo S60R. Pretty much any year between 04-07 should be in your price range and it's hard to beat 300 hp / 295 ft lbs peak, available with a 6 speed manual or auto, all wheel drive and some of the best seats I've ever sat in.

Though I'd recommend getting an 05 or newer as they have slightly different throttle programing.

I'm not at all biased ;) (my daily driver is a 2004 S60R.)

wmelon on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, I'm pretty open about as far as suggestions go. I'm just not big on the whole "Fast and Furious" (that is about as nice as I can be with it) look. I'd prefer more of a clean looking car. The older STis and Evos pretty much embody that look. The hatchback Impreza looks nice and the Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart (the turbo-charged, middle-of-the-road car) isn't too shabby, either. Do they sell the Impreza in a WRX hatchback model?

The Miata, though....eh... no thanks... :(

How is the M3, price wise? Looks like an '05 M3 with 70K miles is still bringing $25K. That's a good bit out of my price range. Not to mention that it would be pretty expensive to fix when/if it broke down. And I'm pretty sure I remember them having some issues from the factory, too.

As far as room goes, I'm not too concerned with that. I'm 5'3" and around 150 lbs. so I'm rather compact.

I intend to test drive a few cars when I get closer to a buy date, but I'd don't want to exclude something I might end up liking later.

stah on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    The Mazda speed 3 is hella fun but torque-steers like a mother. But really really fun. I'm personally looking in to getting an 04-06 WRX Impreza and possibly doing an STI swap on it.

Surely you could just get an STI to begin with for the same money or less?

To O.P., Mustangs are pretty cool.As for the difference between working on the 'Stang motor and a Mazdaspeed3, well they both use most of the same engine technologies. It's easier to screw big numbers out of the 'Stang donk though, what with bolt-on blower kits you can fit in your backyard in a couple of hours.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    A couple of suggestions:

Pontiac GTO - not particularly pretty, but it's a beast cause it's got a corvette engine in it.

Maxda RX-8 - sporty and kinda posh. Wankel engine means it's very free-revving.

Djeet on
  • Options
    Eggplant WizardEggplant Wizard Little Rock, ARRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    WRX
    Volvo S40 T5
    Mazdaspeed 6
    2008 VW R32

Not sure if those can be had for under 20K. The R32 probably isn't that cheap yet.

Eggplant Wizard on
    Hello
  • Options
    HuchelHuchel Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I own a 2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3 and I can't recommend it enough. Really fun to drive, great gas mileage if you can stay off the throttle, a lot of pull even in 6th gear. I don't know why people mention the torque-steer cause it's really not an issue unless you like to drive with one finger or something.

Someone mentioned the audio/center console issues. Mine came with a known problem regarding the audio (I have the Bose system). But it was a free fix at the dealership. If you get one and notice the volume takes a huge jump from 34 to 35, get it checked out.

Also, it comes from the factory with summer only tires, so if you plan on driving in snow or in temps below 40 degrees, expect to invest in a set of snow tires.

Sure a WRX STI or an EVO or Cobalt SS might beat you off the line, but you'll catch them in the long run and beat them from any rolling start, plus you'll have a waaay nicer interior than any of them for the same price or cheaper.

Huchel on
  • Options
    TejsTejs Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Inevitably, in any of these new car threads, I feel like standard advice should be to figure out what you want, and then start shopping in that category. Finding a 'sporty' car is fairly nebulous - do you want to have torque, a great sound, gas mileage, cornering, driving experience, utility, uniqueness, horsepower, style?

These are all qualities that good sports cars have, but in your price range, they wont have all of them. What's your expected usage? Will you just be commuting, do you travel a lot in the car, how much do you want to spend in maintenance? Have you considered insurance? How concerned are you with what other people will think of your ride?

Tejs on
  • Options
    krushkrush Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Gihgehls wrote: »

think you'll find that most, if not all, high powered FWD cars have torque steer issues.

I test drove a Beretta GT back in 90 or 91. All it had was the 3.1L V6, but jeez that thing had horrible torque steer problems when you put it down.

krush on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    stah wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm pretty open about as far as suggestions go. I'm just not big on the whole "Fast and Furious" (that is about as nice as I can be with it) look. I'd prefer more of a clean looking car. The older STis and Evos pretty much embody that look. The hatchback Impreza looks nice and the Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart (the turbo-charged, middle-of-the-road car) isn't too shabby, either. Do they sell the Impreza in a WRX hatchback model?

How is the M3, price wise? Looks like an '05 M3 with 70K miles is still bringing $25K. That's a good bit out of my price range. Not to mention that it would be pretty expensive to fix when/if it broke down. And I'm pretty sure I remember them having some issues from the factory, too.

As far as room goes, I'm not too concerned with that. I'm 5'3" and around 150 lbs. so I'm rather compact.

I intend to test drive a few cars when I get closer to a buy date, but I'd don't want to exclude something I might end up liking later.

Correct. Expensive to buy, expensive to fix, but if you have money that shouldn't be an issue. ;)

Shop around. I've seen a few for under $20k.

I bet you could get a pretty cheap 3000GT VR4 these days. Hmm, what else is fast...

What about a Ford Lightning or Dodge SRT-10?

Slider on
  • Options
    SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    FWD with little torque steer? Saab 9-3 (06+) Equidistant driveshafts FTW. Aero models can be found cheap with a 6-speed and are quite nicely appointed. At 250hp, they're a bit lower than some of the other luxury (or quasi-luxury) sport sedans, but don't let that keep you from looking at 'em. They're stupid comfortable (or so I think, I'm 5'9" 130#), pretty good on fuel and fun to drive, especially on mountain twisties

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    2011 Mustang V6

Those things are beasts and pretty cheap

Karrmer on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've got the second the Mazda RX-8. I had one for about a year and absolutely LOVED the hell out of that car. As soon as is feasible for me I'll get another!

PM me if you want some more details, but basically it was a dream to own/drive and I never had a problem.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I have a 6-speed 2005 G35 coupe. Took a bit of a search to find the manual option, but good lord it was worth it. I love the car so much. It does drink a fair bit of gas though. Still, the joy of driving it outweighs the cost for me. Also the insurance was way cheaper then it would have been on the 350Z for whatever reason, though that'll obviously vary by person.

And since I'm a horrible narcissist, here's a pic:
    30rs5le.jpg

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Those are nice cars. I'm trying to get rid of an Infiniti stealthbox, too.

Slider on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Dude, if you want a Mustang GT then I highly recommend waiting for the new model to come out.

5.0, 412HP, 390 lb-ft. Yes, it's about $10k out of your price range. But, it's much better to wait a little bit to get a much superior drivetrain.

The 4.6 is junk by today's standard. I have a 4.6, and I look at it in shame. The 4.6 is Ford testament of use to being unable to design a engine. The 5.0 is Ford testament that they finally gotten their heads out of their asses.

And hell, the 2011 V6 model is one hell of a monster also, and it's much closer to your budget new.

I honestly do not recommend owning anything from BMW, unless you're willing to sell it once warranty is out.

The MS3 is a pretty awesome car. The MS3 uses the updated Focus Chassis, so if you like the driving dynamics of your Focus, then the MS3 will have a much improved feel to it. I don't like the steering response on the MS3, though.

The Z cars are alright, but I would rather have the 370Z.

Some other cars to look at are the:

Hyundai Genesis Coupe
    Mini Cooper S
    Pontiac G8
    Mazda Miata
    WRX
    I'm not sure if the STi and the LanEvo used market have dropped enough in price to be in your budget, but these are some wicked ass cars.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    Wicked Uncle ErnieWicked Uncle Ernie Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Slider wrote: »

Correct. Expensive to buy, expensive to fix, but if you have money that shouldn't be an issue. ;)

Shop around. I've seen a few for under $20k.

I bet you could get a pretty cheap 3000GT VR4 these days. Hmm, what else is fast...

What about a Ford Lightning or Dodge SRT-10?

Unless you are just looking to have a new sporty car, I'm partial to the e36 M3, but the e46 has about 50 more HP. For that budget, i'd throw my vote for the g35, they are an absolute blast to drive.....and have a bolt on supercharger that makes em retarded fun. and probably dangerous. Stay far, far away from the 3000GT VR4, look at an EVO instead...I dont think i could bring myself to buy a mitsubishi though, The STI is also very fun, and pretty good for cost of ownership.

I also would advise against most anything from Dodge/chrysler, beyond the Challenger they havent done anything worthwhile in years. I'm not a Ford fan either, but the new Mustang is pretty sweet. The new camaro is 300hp base model, i think 22-25, you'd have to look to be sure.

Also check out a 6.0 GTO, same chassis as the Camaro, 400HP (i think, maybe 350) and is incredible fun.

Or just get a C63 AMG :O

Oh, the reason I replied in the first place. All car repair sucks, but it's key to find a good independent mechanic to take your car to, whatever you get. First he'll probably be more honest, and charge less per hour for labor. BMW/Mercedes do have more expensive parts, but then again, so do basically all performance cars.

Wicked Uncle Ernie on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    How about a Chrysler 300 SRT-8?

Slider on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Slider wrote: »
    How about a Chrysler 300 SRT-8?

No. No way. Nice motor, sure, but that's about it. Shit Chassis, crap suspension, too heavy (unless you fancy yourself a ship captain and enjoy yelling "She's Listing" as you round corners).

If you're set on american style muscle, You're basically stuck with a newer Mustang, which is a nice car, or a Brand new Camaro, which is also a nice car. Chrysler hasn't had the capital to invest in new chassis, suspension or anything for a long time, and it shows.

Not that the Camaro is a new chassis, but it's a good one.

I really have to push the GTO, they are getting cheaper used, find a nice 6.0 and give it a spin. Fast, comfortable, easy to work on, and a blast to drive.

Wicked Uncle Ernie on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just don't be one of the guys that you hint at being in your OP, who thinks muscle cars are the only real sports cars and derides all small-size turbocharged engines as being "rice burner fast and furious crap", because it just makes you look like a douche.

A good car is a good car.

That said, I'd recommend going for a Monaro (I think the Pontiac GTO in your crazy country?) Powerful, sleek, doesn't have a crappy feature list the way I hear Mustang's do.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Eggplant WizardEggplant Wizard Little Rock, ARRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Just don't be one of the guys that you hint at being in your OP, who thinks muscle cars are the only real sports cars and derides all small-size turbocharged engines as being "rice burner fast and furious crap", because it just makes you look like a douche.

That said, I'd recommend going for a Monaro (I think the Pontiac GTO in your crazy country?) Powerful, sleek, doesn't have a crappy feature list the way I hear Mustang's do.

Small turbo engine + AWD rules. :) Just need to steer clear of the EVO. It's way too fast & furious. That was the guiding principle of my suggestions.

Eggplant Wizard on
    Hello
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Small turbo engine + AWD rules. :) Just need to steer clear of the EVO. It's way too fast & furious. That was the guiding principle of my suggestions.

I agree with the EVO's looks argument. I think it's the wing that I don't like. However, the power is def. there.

Oh, the reason I replied in the first place. All car repair sucks, but it's key to find a good independent mechanic to take your car to, whatever you get. First he'll probably be more honest, and charge less per hour for labor. BMW/Mercedes do have more expensive parts, but then again, so do basically all performance cars.

My family has always done their own auto repair. The only time we'll take a car to a shop is if we can't fix an issue in a weekend and it's a daily driver or something. It makes for a much harder sell if I have to take it to the shop, tbh.

Everyone, thanks for the replies. And keep them coming. The recommendations are very helpful.

stah on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    and, if you ARE going to get a Monaro/whatever its called in the US, make sure you get one before they added that ridiculous vented bonnet on the front of it.
    this
    HOLD0489.jpg

NOT this
    HOLD0652.jpg

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    and, if you ARE going to get a Monaro/whatever its called in the US, make sure you get one before they added that ridiculous vented bonnet on the front of it.
    this
    HOLD0489.jpg

NOT this
    HOLD0652.jpg

Ours look a bit different... You guys got boned in the looks department!

pontiacgto-1.jpg

Wicked Uncle Ernie on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I agree with the EVO's looks argument. I think it's the wing that I don't like. However, the power is def. there.

My family has always done their own auto repair. The only time we'll take a car to a shop is if we can't fix an issue in a weekend and it's a daily driver or something. It makes for a much harder sell if I have to take it to the shop, tbh.

Everyone, thanks for the replies. And keep them coming. The recommendations are very helpful.

Well, a lot of people have this idea that it's somehow harder to work on German cars. It really isn't, but getting a proper toolset for them will be a bit costly. If you are getting a newer one, then you might have some things you can't do, due to advanced computer systems.

I'm more of an old car guy myself....Gimmie an E30 M3

e30m3racingcc0.jpg

e30m3sportevoxu5.jpg

Wicked Uncle Ernie on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    this
    HOLD0489.jpg

NOT this
    HOLD0652.jpg

snip

What?!? Are you blind?

Also, your comment about the Pontiac GTO having the same chassis as the Camaro, well, both of those cars are variants of the Holden Commodore platform from Australia. The GTO is the shortened coupe version of the 1999-2005 model sedan which was also sold here as a Monaro and, in Australia at least, handles beautifully. In Australia there is a performance house much like RUF or AMG for Holden, called HSV (Holden Special Vehicles). They actually produced a special model of the Monaro called the Coupe4, which was rear-biased AWD with the LS1 motor.

I haven't driven a U.S. spec model of the Monaro, but common 'localisation' practice is to change the suspension out for something more comfort focused when Holden ships platforms to the U.S.

The Camaro is a coupe version of the 2006 onwards Commodore platform developed specifically for America. According to the motoring press it is definitely softer and less responsive than the Sedan it is based on, tuned for American preferences.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    this
    HOLD0489.jpg

NOT this
    HOLD0652.jpg

snip

What?!? Are you blind?

Also, your comment about the Pontiac GTO having the same chassis as the Camaro, well, both of those cars are variants of the Holden Commodore platform from Australia. The GTO is the shortened coupe version of the 1999-2005 model sedan which was also sold here as a Monaro and, in Australia at least, handles beautifully. In Australia there is a performance house much like RUF or AMG for Holden, called HSV (Holden Special Vehicles). They actually produced a special model of the Monaro called the Coupe4, which was rear-biased AWD with the LS1 motor.

I haven't driven a U.S. spec model of the Monaro, but common 'localisation' practice is to change the suspension out for something more comfort focused when Holden ships platforms to the U.S.

The Camaro is a coupe version of the 2006 onwards Commodore platform developed specifically for America. According to the motoring press it is definitely softer and less responsive than the Sedan it is based on, tuned for American preferences.

I'm well aware of Holden's car making habits. And i hate them for being in Australia. :p But since we can't get a Holden, we CAN get a G8, Camaro or GTO. Of the three I believe the Camaro got the best of it, but they ALL look better than the Holden Monaro ;) The Monero looks like it belongs next to the Monte Carlo or something. Even if the Monaro has a stiffer suspension.....even so, suspension is about the easiest thing in the world to stiffen up.

The GTO is a very well-behaved car, even under tire twisting full throttle launches. I can't compare the 2, though I'm sure someone has, but it handles very well, if the Holden handles better, thats pretty incredible.

Wicked Uncle Ernie on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Well, a lot of people have this idea that it's somehow harder to work on German cars. It really isn't, but getting a proper toolset for them will be a bit costly. If you are getting a newer one, then you might have some things you can't do, due to advanced computer systems.

I'm more of an old car guy myself....Gimmie an E30 M3

e30m3racingcc0.jpg

e30m3sportevoxu5.jpg

My dream car is an E30 M3. That is until they make an "M" version of the 1 series.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    KryptykSolKryptykSol Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sporty, in the 16-20k bracket, fair to middling gas mileage, very classy looking, japanese style reliability? There is only one, the Subaru Legacy GT. Its like a WRX, but without all of the annoying honda ricers wanting to race you at every light, and without all the cops following you everywhere. You have 250 HP, one of the best AWD systems on the market, and noone will suspect a thing :D

They basically have the same suspension and drivetrain as a WRX, but with a much classier body and interior (woo leather) Its a car you can have fun in, and then drive a non car person around in and not feel like a greasemonkey :)

I recommend the 2005, you can get them fairly easily with a 5 speed (surprisingly) and they dont have any silly electronic nannies (except ABS).

The only thing I was hesitant to do on mine was spark plugs, but otherwise they are very easy to work on.

KryptykSol on
  • Options
    Cptn PantsCptn Pants Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I saw a few volvo's mentioned, what about the c30 R-design? It's pretty sporty what with it's 5-cylinder turbo charged engine and it's super comfortable to drive. It puts out just over 225 horse power but it's front wheel drive only so I'm not sure how you feel about that. I like it because you hardly ever see them, at least where I am, which is always a big plus to me.

Cptn Pants on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    My dream car is an E30 M3. That is until they make an "M" version of the 1 series.

You guys get the 135 M Sport over there? Real nice set of wheels.

Wicked Uncle Ernie? I genuinely cannot understand how you find this:
    2005_Pontiac_GTO_ext_1.jpg

better looking than this:
    HOLD0489.jpg

DOES NOT COMPUTE!

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Nostrils makes it more aggressive, and the front bumper cover gives the car a much cleaner look.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

You guys get the 135 M Sport over there? Real nice set of wheels.

Over where? I'm in the US, so far as I know they don't make an M1 yet.

Iceman.USAF on