As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Supreme Commander: The Annihilation is Total

• Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The three sides are even more similar in SupCom than they were in TA.

The only differences are with the uber-units, and you will rarely see anyone building those in a game where you're actually fighting, since they take an obscenely long time to complete.

Aside from the uber-units, each side is pretty much a carbon copy of the other two. "Medium assault tank", "light fighter plane", etc. The units differ only cosmetically.

Captain K on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Do they have decent spider tanks this time? I don't just mean multipeds, I mean the type that can climb sheer cliff surfaces and have weapons that don't suck.

subedii on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    strategery wrote:
    Actually the resource gathering really isn't conventional. There's little points all acrossed the map that you go and build shit on top of them(I can't think of their name for the life of me for some reason). The only resource that is really conventional is just the power resource you collect by building, get this, power generators in your base :P.

Think WH40k/CoH Resource capping, only instead of capping a point you just build something on top of said point.

Isn't that exactly the same as DoW? Except..without the capping.

I dont know. The look of this game is enough to turn me off. These units all look like power ranger toys, and bigger does not necesarily mean better in my book. We'll see I guess. DoW and CoH do one thing right more than any other game; they keep the action constant. Good players fight the entire goddamn game. No building massive forces and then attacking, which is all I ever see in screenshots and videos of this game. It makes me nervous.

rts on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    cakemikz wrote:
    strategery wrote:
    Actually the resource gathering really isn't conventional. There's little points all acrossed the map that you go and build shit on top of them(I can't think of their name for the life of me for some reason). The only resource that is really conventional is just the power resource you collect by building, get this, power generators in your base :P.

Think WH40k/CoH Resource capping, only instead of capping a point you just build something on top of said point.

I dont know. The look of this game is enough to turn me off. These units all look like power ranger toys, and bigger does not necesarily mean better in my book. We'll see I guess. DoW and CoH do one thing right more than any other game; they keep the action constant. Good players fight the entire goddamn game. No building massive forces and then attacking, which is all I ever see in screenshots and videos of this game. It makes me nervous.

It depends what you're looking for in an RTS.

As an example, my experience of DoW was that there's little (if any) scope for defensive play. That's not a complaint, that's just the game mechanic. Here defensive play can be a really huge aspect of the game, with massive base defence turrets, walls and energy shields.

SC emphasises sheer scale of warfare happening over massive tracts of land. I haven't played the beta, but if it's like TA, then that means confrontations are fewer but they're a lot expansive. The individual battles aren't designed to be short, sharp affairs decided in a few seconds, instead they last for a while and result in pitched battles and stand-offs.

It just depends which style you prefer. Personally, I prefer games like this since there's usually less micro-management (no spell effects to trigger off, things like that), and instead you focus more on manoeuvring your units on the field and deciding on a more general, larger scale plan of action.

subedii on
  • BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    im excited that its finally coming out. unfortunately, my computer cant even dream to run it.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
  • DeaconKnowledgeDeaconKnowledge Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Captain K wrote:

The only differences are with the uber-units, and you will rarely see anyone building those in a game where you're actually fighting, since they take an obscenely long time to complete.

Aside from the uber-units, each side is pretty much a carbon copy of the other two. "Medium assault tank", "light fighter plane", etc. The units differ only cosmetically.

You're killing me K.

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
    Animal Crossing - 3566 5318 4585/2492 7891 0383 Deacon/Akisha in Crayon
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Don't blame me, blame the designers. They're killing me too. :(

Captain K on
  • BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    if DoW has taught me anything, its that alot of different units = alot of unbalance.

im actually glad theyre similar.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
  • DeaconKnowledgeDeaconKnowledge Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Well, for me TA was always about who had the better strategy, so I don't mind similar units, although I would prefer if they leaned one way or the other; like one faction having a more balanced air attack or navy.

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
    Animal Crossing - 3566 5318 4585/2492 7891 0383 Deacon/Akisha in Crayon
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Captain K wrote:

You're killing me K.
    But... isn't that how TA was? I mean, there were slight differences, but wasn't it still "light K-Bot, medium fighter, radar boat" x2 until the expansions? Or was it the same even in the expansions?

Orogogus on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Having never played TA more than once or twice I guess that for me unlike Captain K there are no awesome expectations for SC to live up to. I'm not saying that it's bad, it's just that it sucks for people like Captain K because he might not enjoy the game as much. Which sucks for me because I'd like to play with him.

:winky:

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I always said this would be the game to get me to go out and buy a new PC.

Money where art thou? Bamelin needs you pretty baby.

Bamelin on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    cakemikz wrote:

Its similar, but you have to use a builder unit and not a combat unit, which does change the tactics a bit, and SC has a lot more points to cap.

You CAN rush and you CAN fight the entire game. Both are viable strategies, if a bit more difficult thanks to the Supreme Commander.

Its both much more powerful and much more in need of protection compared to the DoW Force Commander and the like. He's a builder unit, upgradeable turret, and nasty combat unit in one. But in some game modes, if he dies the game is over. And even if it isn't, his on-board reactor goes up with an explosion that can gut your defenses if you aren't careful.

Still, early offenses can do a fair amount of damage. Just stay the hell away from the SC and go for the buildings. I had a 4 player FFA game where my first rush against my neighbor failed. He was turtled all to hell and back, so I left him alone. The other two players were skirmishing madly- building units and throwing them into the fray at mid-field without actually doing much damage.

That changed when I sent a T1 air strike in and blew the fuck out of the southern player's main factory. :) The same hit, reinforced a bit, was good to take out number 3 as well. And you can, if you want, build air units right away.

The later game took longer, but mostly because I wanted to see the pretty lights and researched up to Nukes before attacking Mr. Turtle. Nukes ARE game enders if used properly; one hit blew away most of his base.

Phoenix-D on
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've recently been playing TA alot again lately(For anyone else that's gotten back into it: Are you playing it at +10 speed? Maybe its because I'm older and I can keep track of more things at once now than I could when I was eleven or whatever, but it seems normal is unbearably slow.) and if this game keeps at least the core mechanics of TA intact (LoS, terrain affects in battle, sheer amount of units and their counters), I'll gladly pick this up. TA still stands as one of the RTS games for me, right up there with Homeworld. If only they would make a game that combined these two. Think Star Wars EaW, but the Homeworld/TA mechanics, I could die a happy man.

Barring that, this game looks more fun than a game should be and a definite first day purchase, if only for nostalgia.

Does it play like TA did? I read through the thread and it sounds like the resource system made it through just fine. TA had it to where you needed metal and energy, energy came from generators you built wherever the fuck, but mines had to be placed over patches of metal on the map. I assume that's what people mean when they're talking about 'points' you have to build on?

Docshifty on
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    if DoW has taught me anything, its that alot of different units = alot of unbalance.

*cough*

Starcraft: Brood War

*cough*

4rch3nemy on
  • LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I know the beta's been out for a bit, but is there going to be an actual demo sometime before the game's released?

LavaKnight on
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    4rch3nemy wrote:

*cough*

*cough*
    Yet it's still getting unit balance patches after all these years. I can't comment on balance at release though.

Suriko on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
  • DeadOnArrivalDeadOnArrival Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Doesn't anyone else here have the Sup Com beta? It'd be nice to play it with some PAers.

DeadOnArrival on
    2zz3vp4.jpg
    edited January 2007
    Suriko wrote:
    4rch3nemy wrote:

*cough*

*cough*
    Yet it's still getting unit balance patches after all these years. I can't comment on balance at release though.

When was the last patch for balance? Not for a hella long time and people play this game, competitively as ALL 3 RACES in Korea. I don't see this game as being unbalanced in the least, and really, neither does anyone else who's actually played it.

Anyways: Supreme Commander looks worthy of a demo-run.

4rch3nemy on
    edited January 2007
    ..I uhh.. quoted myself.

4rch3nemy on
    edited January 2007
    Did you just quote yourself?

DeadOnArrival on
    2zz3vp4.jpg
    edited January 2007
    Did you just quote yourself?
    4rch3nemy wrote:
    Shhhhhh... Our secret.

4rch3nemy on
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Worth cross posting this here...

skace wrote:
    Sorry to derail the thread a little, but where the fuck is the supreme commander CE? Don't tell me I have to order that from new zealand. It was mentioned on page 2.
    er page 5, last page...

Haha. Sorry about that, my fault for the derailment. There are three limited edition CEs for Supreme Comander in the Uk, one for each faction and all from different suppliers.

Aeon Faction Pack
    UEF Faction Pack
    Cybran Faction Pack

They are all basically the same but with different box art for each (and I think different fansite art as well?)

* Limited Edition UEF Faction Pack - Exclusive to Amazon – Includes:
    * Box design based on UEF Faction Icon
    * Poster 1 - UEF Faction poster art on one side, Faction ACU image on reverse
    * Poster 2 - Tech tree and Galactic Map double-sided poster
    * Lenticular postcard with UEF Faction Imagery
    * Bonus faction UEF DVD including: screenshots, hi-res imagery/art/renders, unit profiles/imagery/descriptions, wallpaper, fan-site kits
    * Chris Taylor interview talking about faction back-story, play tactics, experimental units
    * Making of Supreme Commander video
    * Planetary warfare on a Galactic scale - zoom from the tactical unit level all the way out to the full theatre of war in one seamless motion
    * Includes full naval, ground and air combat
    * 3 unique factions that each appeal to different player personalities with approximately 100 units/structures per faction
    * 3 story-driven single-player campaigns with a detailed and rich back ground history that weaves into gameplay
    * Intuitive and customizable gameplay interface with unsurpassed command and control features let you quickly and efficiently manoeuvre troops across the battle field
    * Robust multiplayer gaming with up to 8 players online plus co-op mode
    * Full-on community support including a map and mission editor, downloadable content and instant battle replay features.

B000MMRCWA.01._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_V48168615_.jpg

I ordered the Aeon pack from Game and they've also just emailed me a code for the Beta, which I didn't realise was also available.

Um, I'll cross post this to the Supreme Commander thread as well I guess, as it's more relevant there.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ok but what about THIS CE which only seems to be available in new zealand so far?

http://www.gpstore.co.nz/Games/1515509.html

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    skace wrote:
    Ok but what about THIS CE which only seems to be available in new zealand so far?

http://www.gpstore.co.nz/Games/1515509.html

That looks largely similar/inferior except it comes in a tin box.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I just hope the Huge zoomed out map can be used for overall strategies, and if not the feature will soon be patched in.

Drag select - Light tanks
    Light Tanks - Primary target - Anti Air capable units
    Light tanks - Advance to point A - Hold ground if enemies encountered

Drag select - Heavy Tanks
    Heavy Tanks - Primary Target - Enemy heavy armour
    Heavy Tanks - Advance to point B - Fight through if enemies encountered
    Heavy Tanks - Advance to point A - Fight through if enemies encountered
    Heavy Tanks - Assist Light tank group

Drag Select - Heavy Bombers
    Heavy Bombers - Primary Target - Enemy light armour
    Heavy Bombers - Secondary target - Enemy buildings
    Heavy Bombers - Advance to point A - Condition - Light Tank mission
    complete + Heavy Tank mission part 1 complete

Execute all orders!

So youd make plans and send in your men knowing youd given them the goals of the mission, and you wouldnt need to zoom in and tell your heavy tanks you didnt care about them blowing up light KBOTS or whatever, since the Bombers would come in as soon as the light tanks had attacked the anti-air units in the area.

Im worried that the strategy map is just a gimic, and I will be forever zooming in to tell my plasma assault walkers (or whatever) to stop attacking solar power plants and focus on the enemy missile turrets instead.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    tbloxham wrote:
    I just hope the Huge zoomed out map can be used for overall strategies, and if not the feature will soon be patched in.

Drag select - Light tanks
    Light Tanks - Primary target - Anti Air capable units
    Light tanks - Advance to point A - Hold ground if enemies encountered

Drag select - Heavy Tanks
    Heavy Tanks - Primary Target - Enemy heavy armour
    Heavy Tanks - Advance to point B - Fight through if enemies encountered
    Heavy Tanks - Advance to point A - Fight through if enemies encountered
    Heavy Tanks - Assist Light tank group

Drag Select - Heavy Bombers
    Heavy Bombers - Primary Target - Enemy light armour
    Heavy Bombers - Secondary target - Enemy buildings
    Heavy Bombers - Advance to point A - Condition - Light Tank mission
    complete + Heavy Tank mission part 1 complete

Execute all orders!

So youd make plans and send in your men knowing youd given them the goals of the mission, and you wouldnt need to zoom in and tell your heavy tanks you didnt care about them blowing up light KBOTS or whatever, since the Bombers would come in as soon as the light tanks had attacked the anti-air units in the area.

Im worried that the strategy map is just a gimic, and I will be forever zooming in to tell my plasma assault walkers (or whatever) to stop attacking solar power plants and focus on the enemy missile turrets instead.

Get a second monitor. :D

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Lewie, you are a wonderful person.

My question now though is... do I need more than 1 copy to get some hot hot LAN/Hamachi action going?

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    We don't know at the moment because the GPG mods scream at you if you try to use Hamachi with the beta. :)

Phoenix-D on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I played the beta/demo and I really WANT to enjoy this game. The superunits are awesome, and once I figured it out it had lots of cool shit. The only thing I didn't like was the units. They're so small, you can't figure out if you should be building tons of them, or just a few big ones. It's rather confusing.

SniperGuy on
  • AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Phoenix-D wrote:
    We don't know at the moment because the GPG mods scream at you if you try to use Hamachi with the beta. :)

What
    I guess I'll pre-order a copy first and see what happens. Can't lose out on that lovely £17 off deal :D

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This doesn't have a chance in hell of running on my computer, does it? What are we looking at in terms of system requirements?

(A64 3200+, Radeon 9700, 1GB RAM)

Daedalus on
    edited February 2007
    Apparently the SP demo is to be released today, so you'll have your chance to find out.

Source: Gamespot

Demo at 9:30am PST / 5:30pm GMT.

DeadOnArrival on
    2zz3vp4.jpg
    edited February 2007
    Demo is now released!

Demo @ Gamespot
    Demo @ Fileplanet

DeadOnArrival on
    2zz3vp4.jpg
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    W00t! The last update broke my beta and I was jonesing for some hot bot on bot action.

FreddyD on
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Excellent, definately be downloading this when I get home from work.

LockeCole on
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Any download links where we don't have to join something? :C

TheBog on
    edited February 2007
    TheBog wrote:
    Any download links where we don't have to join something? :C

It was released just under an hour ago, you may have to wait a little longer.

DeadOnArrival on
    2zz3vp4.jpg
  • ShujaaShujaa Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I am so looking forward to trying this out :!:

Shujaa on