As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Champions Online] Psychic zombies, robot pirates, and Killdozer. 'Nuff said.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Astale wrote:
    There is a Dragon Claws attack that adds a ton of damage on crits only. With the recent changes to crits it's an even bigger change. If you have a build that can dodge hits for a while getting in the occasional big charge crit, it can one shot a lot of builds on lucky hits.

But seriously, if you're doing the game for pvp, don't bother. I could go on and on for pages as to why, but it's easier to direct you to the practically dead pvp forums on the main site. They don't even balance for pvp anymore, last time they made ANY pvp only changes was about 14 months back, for a single power. So yeah.

The small PvP community is alive and well, actually.

It's sad that the developers pay almost no attention to PvP issues (let alone trying to balance anything in the game with an eye to PvP) yet in spite of that, Champs PvP is pretty fun.

Anyone interested in PvP should join the channel "coPvP" so you can talk to me and lots of other people who are much better at PvP than me. Don't ask for builds in channel, most PvPers aren't keen on building characters for other people the way PvE players are. But if you have specific questions about PvP related things, it is absolutely the best place to ask.

Additionally, I have been negligent in paying attention to this forum, but I am still playing and can SG invite anyone who needs one.

• Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    The "small" community, exactly. I blame dev neglect for that.

It's been the same people, with a minor few coming and going just as rapidly, for like a year. Now, they have stayed this whole time, and it's not like they're going anywhere anymore, so you'll generally get to know whoever you fight quick. They also had some issue with PvP queues not working, though I THINK that's been solved.

But they really did their best to shrink that community down to the diehards through neglect, and have pretty much succeeded. The remainder is a decent bunch, and if I had to pick three to ask for advice it'd be Xavori, Pants, and Crazyguy, though god Xavori or whatever the name is has crowned himself the king of PvP the way he posts (and the sheer volume of threads he's started) but even he isn't "bad", just way too 'vocal' for my tastes. If Pantagruel (again, been so long I forget spelling) is still around, he'll help with builds, even PvP ones, he loves min/maxing everything. Crazyguy will help arrange stuff (though he won't do build advice, he'll explain most everything), and I could think of a few others who have stuck it out, but those are the big three who tend to dish out advice.

• Options
    Astale wrote:
    The "small" community, exactly. I blame dev neglect for that.

It's been the same people, with a minor few coming and going just as rapidly, for like a year. Now, they have stayed this whole time, and it's not like they're going anywhere anymore, so you'll generally get to know whoever you fight quick. They also had some issue with PvP queues not working, though I THINK that's been solved.

But they really did their best to shrink that community down to the diehards through neglect, and have pretty much succeeded. The remainder is a decent bunch, and if I had to pick three to ask for advice it'd be Xavori, Pants, and Crazyguy, though god Xavori or whatever the name is has crowned himself the king of PvP the way he posts (and the sheer volume of threads he's started) but even he isn't "bad", just way too 'vocal' for my tastes. If Pantagruel (again, been so long I forget spelling) is still around, he'll help with builds, even PvP ones, he loves min/maxing everything. Crazyguy will help arrange stuff (though he won't do build advice, he'll explain most everything), and I could think of a few others who have stuck it out, but those are the big three who tend to dish out advice.

I attribute it to a small sub-set of the PvE community who is incredibly strident and vocal in their hatred of PvP, PvPers, and howl with rage at the mere suggestion that development resources be applied to PvP, to say nothing of the inflammatory whining that occurs at the slightest suggestion that broken or over-performing powers should be adjusted. These people have unfortunately elected themselves to speak for the "silent majority" when the truth is there are many, many players who dip their toes into PvP in T-2 and would probably continue to PvP if the game were balanced better, because T-3 is where it really starts to get silly, that and the leveling slow-down which mires people in the bottom of the T-3 barrel for too long.

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    Viking wrote:
    Electricity is great fun, they never seem to run out of energy so its pew pew pew all day.

I recall trying an Electricity-based hero back in the day, and I always liked the ability that would shock enemies nearby and send them flying. Drained the crap outta energy though. I've seen a few of them running around nowadays but they just seem to run around spamming the one ability that sends out a giant beam of lightning that melts everything.

Regarding the PvP/PvE thing, I'm one of those that hates seeing a game trying to balance characters around PvP, when they are just fine in PvE. I can see it as being a very special kind of headache in a game like CO, because people can just cherry-pick abilities from different powersets for maximum twinkage. I can see why the devs have no interest in trying to balance that. :P

• Options
    Regarding the PvP/PvE thing, I'm one of those that hates seeing a game trying to balance characters around PvP, when they are just fine in PvE.

This is a common statement, and it's generally quite false. Powers that overperform in PvP usually overperform in PvE as well, it's just that the mobs can't complain about how freaking unfair Ego Storm is. Unless the idea is that balance is meaningless in PvE, in which case why put damage numbers on attacks? Just make every attack an instant kill. Just make every hold permanent. Make defensive passives give /enable_god_mode1 instead of damage resistance or dodge.

Oh, wait... That's not fun you say?

Well I agree, balanced powers do make the content more fun, and powers that trivialize the content make it not-fun.

• Options
    Regarding the PvP/PvE thing, I'm one of those that hates seeing a game trying to balance characters around PvP, when they are just fine in PvE.

This is a common statement, and it's generally quite false. Powers that overperform in PvP usually overperform in PvE as well, it's just that the mobs can't complain about how freaking unfair Ego Storm is. Unless the idea is that balance is meaningless in PvE, in which case why put damage numbers on attacks? Just make every attack an instant kill. Just make every hold permanent. Make defensive passives give /enable_god_mode1 instead of damage resistance or dodge.

Oh, wait... That's not fun you say?

Well I agree, balanced powers do make the content more fun, and powers that trivialize the content make it not-fun.

Not quite the same thing. Speaking to Champions Online in particular, I don't think there's really any way to balance every power, particularly when it comes to the ways they can be combined into one character. However, PvE and PvP content don't work at all the same way; in a PvP match you are generally competing against a like number of enemies, whereas in PvE the game is most fun (I think) when taking on large groups of villains and triumphing. Powers that are great at one are not necessarily going to transfer over to the other. A hold that disables an individual is quite powerful in PvP, but in PvE it is less so because there are usually lots of other enemies still coming, and they don't even work on Master Villains and above (I think that's the proper name).

Also, if someone makes a stupid-powerful character in PvE, it doesn't really affect me. If that's how they have their fun, more power. If they complain that they are bored, well... either way, I can dictate how broken (or not) my own character is, and I'm not hurting anyone, and unlike PvP where they could basically ruin my day, someone with their ultra min-maxed cherry-picked circus clown is only a passing entertainment if I see them on the grid.

There are certainly balances that could be made which would benefit both PvE and PvP, and I've nothing against those happening. My opinion is simply 'PvE First', not 'PvE only'... Nothing against people who like something different.

• Options
    Most of the powers that PvPers want to see balanced are either useless in PvE to begin with (every single target hold is a waste of time in PvE for example, any mob that it would actually work on could be easily killed by even a dedicated support character in the same amount of time you were charging a hold) or stupidly overpowered; Ego Storm falls under that category, you click it and it disables and kills an entire spawn with zero risk to the character using it.

Mostly we just want mez and knock resistance mechanics reworked so that we don't get CC-spammed, which PvErs shouldn't care about, as nothing that can be affected by CC lives long enough for resistance mechanics to matter.

Perception debuffs and stealth are another major problem, and PvE mobs are binary, they either can't see through stealth or they see through all stealth so again, shouldn't really have an impact.

Deeper problems involve enrage, passive defenses vrs. offensive passives, falling damage; and these are all things the devs already plan to review.

• Options
    Ego Storm, you say... >_>

• Options
    Yup, broken as all holy hell right now, and it does the same damn thing in PvE too, yet some of the people in the general forum still bitch it's just a "PvP thing".

*sigh*

• Options
    I don't know how you can expect anything remotely resembling sanity on any game's internal forums.

• Options
    ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    Playing around on test and I see some new powers under the gadgetry tree...

• Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    From PTS notes:

Might: Mighty Kick (New!): This new Tier 1 power is a quick, strong kick attack that repels your target, or knocks back your target after a short charge.
    Might: Mighty Kick: Madness?! (New!): This 2 point advantage causes Mighty Kick to grant you a stack of Defiance when fully charged.

Well, I'm sold.

• Options
    Is that for the patch today?

Sounds like I might have to make a Might character.

Altitis noooo...

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    So many cool things in the C-Store these days.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Those costume sets are irresistable. I had to pick up a couple in order to make some boss characters.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Guys, my new computer runs this game buttery smooth, if you want to hit me up, look up Orion@Kraelthor and Funk Man@Kraelthor.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The way the chat system works, they can just look up @Kraelthor.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Ah.

• Options
    I can't stop futzing around on test...to the detriment of my alts gaining levels.
    I keep rebuilding...builds and...um...testing them.
    I can attest that I hate Demon enemies. Their knockbacks are effing crazy.
    I can also attest that I love the Invuln/IDF/Bionic Shielding combination. Love the Silver Surfer effect of the bionic shield.
    I can state with some certainty that the Force energy builder, with the advantage, is awesome.

Also, tried an AT toon and god it was horrible for me. HORRIBLE.
    After having sooo much freedom, to have my hands tied like that was...well, horrible.

Question:
    Whats a good PVP hold?

• Options
    Ego storm if you don't mind being called names for using a "broken" power. (it's bugged to just refresh the hold over and over, you can't get out or even apply a click defense because it can make you spasm all over).

If not? Ummm, I like the psi hold, since you can move while applying it. The non-storm psi hold I mean.

• Options
    Playing tonight with my friend Blizzard Eclipse was awesome. After about and hour and a half of doing missions, I said to the guy "Can we have some down time?" "OK". So we went to the club in the renassaince district and we laughed at the people roleplaying (Not that there's anything wrong with that) and started dancing on the dance floor. I love the social interaction in this game.

• Options
    SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    edited August 2011

A) Thanks!
    B) I got my code, and it says on my cryptic account page that it's been activated, but I can't seem to redeem my items. Has anyone else had this issue, or am I just missing a step?
    EDIT: Derp, just wasn't going to the right place in the store. Should learn to read.

Skullo on
  • Options
    Shawnasee wrote:
    I can't stop futzing around on test...to the detriment of my alts gaining levels.
    I keep rebuilding...builds and...um...testing them.
    I can attest that I hate Demon enemies. Their knockbacks are effing crazy.
    I can also attest that I love the Invuln/IDF/Bionic Shielding combination. Love the Silver Surfer effect of the bionic shield.
    I can state with some certainty that the Force energy builder, with the advantage, is awesome.

Also, tried an AT toon and god it was horrible for me. HORRIBLE.
    After having sooo much freedom, to have my hands tied like that was...well, horrible.

Question:
    Whats a good PVP hold?

Ego Storm is actually an iffy choice. It's powerful, but it paints a huge target on you. For a squishy trying to get in, murder a single person in melee, then get out, Bindings of Abatron or Ego Choke will get the job done for less energy and without violently offending everyone (it's possible you won't even offend your target overly much, provided you're not farming them or just spamming BoA at them without actually trying to attack).

For a ranged character looking for melee defense, you're better off with a 100' range like Force Geyser or Hurl with Nailed to the Ground advantage, then move the hell away and do not let them into lunge range in the first place. If someone stuns you with a lunge they might be able to move straight into a Damage > Hold > Damage > Knock combo which *will* kill you, without you ever getting Ego Storm off.

• Options
    I like the Ego Choke. Thanks for the info.

Also, Jet Packs and new weapon models in the C-Store.

• Options
    I was tempted by some of the guns... almost bought that one. Jetpacks look cool also, especially the big, dual-turbine one.

If the new stuff had been included in the on-going C-store sale, I probably would have bought something, but as it is I've spent too much money there anyways. :P

Also, goddamn I cannot stick with a single character! I keep making alts and getting nowhere.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Costume pieces are account wide, right?

Shawnasee on
  • Options
    Yes. So are the travel powers you can buy (I bought Phoenix Flight because it's awesome)

• Options
    I am going to have to buy the guns and the jet packs.

<grumbles about being lifetime and having to waste my FREE cbucks just like the unwashed masses>

• Options
    Are you kidding? We don't get near enough cryptic points to obtain all the awesome things they put through that store. I have had to buy more on several occasions.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    God the C-store is good at getting me to buy things

Hey, APB: Reloaded, this is how you make money with a F2P game

• Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    Are you kidding? We don't get near enough cryptic points to obtain all the awesome things they put through that store. I have had to buy more on several occasions.

Yeah the free cpoints don't go nearly as far as I would like.. Though I'm crossing my fingers for STO to go free to play and hopefully all cpoints will be standardized so I get double free cpoints from my lifetime subs..

God that sounds so confusing...

ineveraskedforthis.jpg

I never asked for this.

itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    Besides the arms, looks like a cartoony rendition pretty close to the real thing. Nice.

• Options
    Sadly there are no arms that look right. The black and red robot arms are as close as it gets.

I never asked for this!
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    You can make a normal arm with like a tech sleeve and robot hand.

• Options
    Lord, was just in ZA and this toon Professor Fate was the last hero standing, and had 4 of us heroes beating on him and he just would not die.

Lightning Reflexes and IDF...he wouldn't tell me his SS's or any of his powers.
    Anyone know this build?

• Options
    Docshifty wrote:
    You can make a normal arm with like a tech sleeve and robot hand.

Hmm this gave me a good idea.

adamjensen20.jpg

The alien muscle in black metal looks bad ass in motion.

I never asked for this!
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Looks better in general, I'd say.

• Options
    New flight poses up in the store....damnit! Can I just save up my bucks please?

• Options
    Actually, I hope they keep producing things I feel are worth my money.

However, I really want new content rather than all new ways to do the existing content.