As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Champions Online] Psychic zombies, robot pirates, and Killdozer. 'Nuff said.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    jeepguy- the reason I think chain works is this

are you REALLY gonna make an electricity build WITHOUT reverb?

i mean yeah it 'requires' reverb...but what elec power DOESN'T, when you get down to it

and as for the needing advantage bit

eh, that is what advantages are FOR

I am gonna mess around with it tonight for a bit and give a better rundown though

also this month would be a good time for that rainbow slide power

or october

Of course you'll take reverb, but you can skip Chain Lightning completely. Advantage points will be in short supply at level 40, you will not be able to R3 everything you'd like to.

Regina Fong on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    edited June 2010
    RainbowSlide_by_lastscionz_1024x.jpg

Even piles of poop want a rainbow slide power.

Regina Fong on
  • Lilac CitizenLilac Citizen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Could you guys toss up some links to help get started in the OP or in a post here? I'm kind of baffled about the game engine in general, and even simple concepts like what the different stats do or how to change my guy's powers' colors and whatnot

Lilac Citizen on
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I could use some build advice, if you fine folks are inclined to listen to my woes.

I’ve been playing since asking for a good trial and having some fun. Made a Power Armor guy and liked it, but I got to 18-19 and just can’t do too well against more than two villains. Is that normal to Power Armor or a problem with my build?

Right now, I’ve gone Int/End to lower energy costs of powers and increase my total energy, trying to take advantage of Power Armor’s ability to have multiple powers active for an increased energy cost. To support this I’ve put Accelerated Metabolism on most of the powers and taken Targeting Computer as a passive. And it works, when I can get a good string of energy returns. The problem is, I take too many hits and even with rank 2 Unbreakable, I can’t kill groups of three or more strong enemies before I go down.

Would I get better results by using the retcon token I got in the patch and changing to Str/Int and taking Invulnerability? Or maybe trying Int/Rec and using Regeneration as a slotted defense instead of Targeting Computer. When I saw the power, I really liked Targeting Computer but after using it for a long time, I’m not so sure anymore.

I think I’ve tried to do something that really limits my defense without increasing my offensive capability very much. The more I think about this, the more I’m tempted to just retcon and play around in the ‘danger room’ for a good while, try out different builds and see what works best. I do want to like Power Armor but it's getting more obvious to me that changes need to be made.

What would anyone with more experience with CO suggest? I'd like to keep the concept I initially went with, that of a ranged blaster pumping out the firepower, but I don't want to get taken out by a stiff breeze.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2010
    Hang on guys, I will have some helpful links for you here in a moment!

Regina Fong on
    edited June 2010
    This is the definitive stat guide. The first post explains really well what the stats do. The second post down lists which powers from each set scale with a particular stat.

Right out of the tutorial you will get a "Superstat" (aka: Characteristic Focus). And you get a second one at level 13.

Your two focus stats will go up as you level, and while you can use gear and talents to boost any stat, your superstats should be the two that synergize best with the powers you plan to take.

You get a damage bonus from both superstats that soft caps at +30% damage each, for a total of +60% to all your damage powers. This is a soft cap, and generally speaking you'll want to trick yourself to be at that 30% for both and then put any extra gear into a third and fourth stat for maximum "oomph".

Each power set comes with two "recommended" stats. These stats are often but not always the two that you should superstat.

For most sets you will not be harmed by taking the two recommended stats and going with those, and in a few sets the recommended stats are actually poor choices. You should never feel that a particular power set or framework locks you into a certain stat choice or build though, it's very possible to make a viable-yet-suboptimal character if that's what your concept calls for.

Power Armor is one of the sets where the recommended stats can steer you wrong. PA has a couple of different things going on and you can go one way or the other but not really both.

Str and Int are the recommended stats.

OK. Invulnerability scales off strength, you can superstat strength and take Invulnerability and laser sword, and energy shield with the laser knight advantage and be a sort of melee tank guy and that is very viable.

But if you want to be Ironman and run all those toggles at once, Str is not for you.

Take Endurance and Intelligence as your superstats and ignore Invulnerability (in favour of quarry with the advantage that gives you health on kill).

An End/Int Power Armor guy with Quarry can really get some damage rolling.

Regina Fong on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Okay, so Cryptic seems to have improved the game, from the trial I got, so I'm considering re-subbing my account. Question is: Does it run kind of sluggish for anyone else? And are there any settings that are sort of known performance hogs that people turn off?

I have a pretty stout system (Q9550, 8GB DDR2-1066, GTX 260 216 Core), but it can get pretty sluggish at times for me.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Try turning off comic book outlines, IIRC that's a decent framerate hit. You SHOULD be running fine, though.

Phoenix-D on
    edited June 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Okay, so Cryptic seems to have improved the game, from the trial I got, so I'm considering re-subbing my account. Question is: Does it run kind of sluggish for anyone else? And are there any settings that are sort of known performance hogs that people turn off?

I have a pretty stout system (Q9550, 8GB DDR2-1066, GTX 260 216 Core), but it can get pretty sluggish at times for me.

Turning off comic outlines can help, you could also try leaving the comic outlines on and disabling anti-aliasing (Pony and I both do this).

YMMV.

Regina Fong on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    For me it was environmental shadows.

Glal on
  • RigellRigell Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This does not run when I have both my monitors plugged in. Annoying but an easy fix.

Did resub again, Infernal seems to be pretty OP. Running with Con/Rec SS with Regen in ..Avenger? I think it's called. Even then a good size group can't touch me and I just lay waste to em.

Ahhh how I missed regen.

Rigell on
    Skobes.png
    edited June 2010
    Rigell wrote: »
    This does not run when I have both my monitors plugged in. Annoying but an easy fix.

Did resub again, Infernal seems to be pretty OP. Running with Con/Rec SS with Regen in ..Avenger? I think it's called. Even then a good size group can't touch me and I just lay waste to em.

Ahhh how I missed regen.

You must be in Guardian. Regeneration is a defensive passive and can't be used in the Offensive Stances (Avenger/Brawler) or Support (Sentinel).

Regina Fong on
    edited June 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »

Turning off comic outlines can help, you could also try leaving the comic outlines on and disabling anti-aliasing (Pony and I both do this).

YMMV.

I also do this

Arch on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Jeepg... I mean Regina for President.

I've set my TK blades character by the wayside and leveled my Dual Blades to 22 or so, about the same as my Munitions guy.

Have tinkered with the DB power set repeatedly. I picked up that Burning Chi self-heal but even with my wimpy HP pool it seems like a pretty piddly little heal. I finally grabbed that DB offensive passive and bought the basic damage upgrade and damage reflection for Eye of the Storm -- that actually works really well to churn through henchmen and usually it only takes one charged Dragon's Wrath stab to finish whatever villain was with them.

I feel like I must be missing something about Sword Cyclone, but it never really seemed that great to me. Maybe my mana pool is too small, but I'm getting more mileage out of EotS.

desc on
  • Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    desc wrote:
    I picked up that Burning Chi self-heal but even with my wimpy HP pool it seems like a pretty piddly little heal.

If you're using lightning reflexes or any other passive that enhance dodge, the special advantage for burning chi resurgence helps alot. Every time you successfully dodge, you get an extra heal and if you dodge alot, you get healed alot. It's especially effective on unarmed characters since they have a ton of advantages that boost their dodge abilities considerably.

Operative21 on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    desc wrote:
    I picked up that Burning Chi self-heal but even with my wimpy HP pool it seems like a pretty piddly little heal.

If you're using lightning reflexes or any other passive that enhance dodge, the special advantage for burning chi resurgence helps alot. Every time you successfully dodge, you get an extra heal and if you dodge alot, you get healed alot. It's especially effective on unarmed characters since they have a ton of advantages that boost their dodge abilities considerably.

Oh, derp. I was mostly trying to use it in Brawler stance with the offensive passive for damage and I didn't pick up any advantages for it yet. That sounds like it would make a difference. Thanks!

desc on
  • Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    To support this I’ve put Accelerated Metabolism on most of the powers and taken Targeting Computer as a passive.

AM is a waste of points on more than one power, because it only triggers once every so many seconds and has a global cooldown. If you're going to get it at all, I suggest putting it on chest missiles, minigun, or your energy builder.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
    edited June 2010
    why put it on your energy builder?

you need to use it less?

Arch on
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    To support this I’ve put Accelerated Metabolism on most of the powers and taken Targeting Computer as a passive.

AM is a waste of points on more than one power, because it only triggers once every so many seconds and has a global cooldown. If you're going to get it at all, I suggest putting it on chest missiles, minigun, or your energy builder.

Good to know. I had read that, but didn't make the connection that each power would share the cooldown. Makes perfect sense in hindsight and I kinda feel like I should have figured that out on my own.

It's no longer an issue as I did use the retcon token and dropped the whole mess. Took Quarry as my passive (advantaged for small heal on kills) and just used my power points to upgrade ranks. I don't really need AM on any power at the moment, though I'll definitely keep your advice in mind in the future.

The changes were completely necessary, as now I actually feel somewhat powerful when playing the character.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • EllieEllie Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Dear sweet merciful Christ it has been too long since I have played this game. I'm going to roll up a new character. What should I play that's totally awesome and would be desired in a team of you fine folk who play?

Ellie on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2010
    Ellie wrote: »
    Dear sweet merciful Christ it has been too long since I have played this game. I'm going to roll up a new character. What should I play that's totally awesome and would be desired in a team of you fine folk who play?

Totally awesome- electricity and might

desired? eh who the fuck cares play what you want, we will still team up with you and destroy the badguys

add @Zinnar to play with meeee

also join the penny arcade channel

Arch on
    edited June 2010
    Cool. Sent you a friend request. I'm also on Vent, if that's of any interest to you.

Ellie on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2010
    whats vent?

jk lol i just don't talk much on the interbutts

but i never shut up in the chat channel

Arch on
    edited June 2010
    It can be worthwhile to invest one advantage point in Accelerate Metabolism, I certainly wouldn't overlook it if you are in an energy hungry build.

It's best used on a power like Gigabolt which you plan to constantly spam a lot, or a lengthy maintain which you intend to use a lot like Ego Blade Frenzy or Two-Gun Mojo.

It can be useful in your Energy Builder, but only if you have a large Endurance pool and a relatively low Recovery.

If you are flying with minimal Endurance/Recovery (like a lot of melee builds do) then your bar is going to fill up from just a few swings of your EB and the advantage isn't going to do squat.

If you have a huge Endurance pool and it takes you a decent length of time to go from empty to fully charged (which you see in some Power Armor, Darkness, and Gadgetry builds), then putting Accelerate on your Energy Builder is very wise.

Regina Fong on
    edited June 2010
    edited June 2010
    So, as usual, I spent hours in character creation. I can't come up with a name for my character. Gah!

Ellie on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2010
    Ellie wrote: »
    So, as usual, I spent hours in character creation. I can't come up with a name for my character. Gah!

I hate that

I was all OH MAN IMMA MAKE A CYBERMAN

and then spent like an hour making him

and then i was like...i can't name him Cyberman....hmmm

settled on Chromium

Arch on
    edited June 2010
    Now I want to make a Cyberman and name it-- Oh right, you aren't that far yet.
    Hartigan, or Mercy. Okay, so she's not technically a Cyberman. But she's the Cyberking, bitches.

Ellie on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2010
    you could name him XxX_HEADSHOTZ_XxX or ||||SNIPA69||||

Lilac Citizen on
    edited June 2010
    I am stuck with Chromium on what powers to give him

he is just based off cybermen aesthetically so i dont need to keep the theme and give him electricity powers

i want to use power armor but the initial powers are kind of weird, and I don't really want LAZORS on him

I wish there were more power armor stuff that was actually munitions...like how the wrist bolters are kinda like wrist machine guns but then you get power guantlet (which is ATROCIOUS) and repulsor beam or whatever. which is an AWESOME attack but it doesn't really fit this dude...and also I already have a force/power armor dude who uses it

So electricty/power armor could work but I already have an electricity/gadgeteer (who dipped into power armor for laser sword/shield) and I also already have an electricity/might dude

basically power armor is lame to me until i can get micro munitions, shoulder launcher, and the shoulder machine gun. I don't know what to take to fill up space till then

Arch on
    edited June 2010
    Also I kind of want to make an archery/gadgeteer

Arch on
    edited June 2010
    Oh my god this guide is the best thing ever

Seriously Read this Guys

Arch on
    edited June 2010
    It can be worthwhile to invest one advantage point in Accelerate Metabolism, I certainly wouldn't overlook it if you are in an energy hungry build.

It's best used on a power like Gigabolt which you plan to constantly spam a lot, or a lengthy maintain which you intend to use a lot like Ego Blade Frenzy or Two-Gun Mojo.

It can be useful in your Energy Builder, but only if you have a large Endurance pool and a relatively low Recovery.

If you are flying with minimal Endurance/Recovery (like a lot of melee builds do) then your bar is going to fill up from just a few swings of your EB and the advantage isn't going to do squat.

If you have a huge Endurance pool and it takes you a decent length of time to go from empty to fully charged (which you see in some Power Armor, Darkness, and Gadgetry builds), then putting Accelerate on your Energy Builder is very wise.

You know I didn't come right out and say it, but in the interest of being accurate and thorough, I should point out that you do not want to take Accelerate Metabolism on powers which you want to charge up.

So while Gigabolt is good because you tap spam it a lot, Force Cascade would not be, as you want to charge that.

Fewer casts of the power results in fewer chances for the advantage to proc.

So use only on maintains that you use a lot, or taps that you spam.

Regina Fong on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Man after doing that mission in the desert place at level 10, I can say without a doubt that might is far superior than electric.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited June 2010
    Man, why are all the WoW players from the WoW thread ending up in this thread playing this game? I got dragged over by Aunsoph personally

I suspect a conspiracy

Lilac Citizen on
    edited June 2010
    Because WoW is boring now and will remain boring until Cataclysm.

Regina Fong on
  • Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    so i decided to switch my darkness toon into TK blades because it seems to be a pretty underutilized set and woah holy crap the damage is bonkers

Super Namicchi on
    edited June 2010
    ah, that's a good point, I'm pretty sick of WoW myself

I beat the end boss on non-hard mode, but the hard modes are ridiculously difficult. And then it's pretty much impossible to play a new guy, since finding groups is a huge hassle outside of an organized guild

So far I'm getting a kick out of Champions Online, it's less like an MMO and more like a good version of Freedom Force/Marvel Ultimate Alliance

Lilac Citizen on
    edited June 2010
    ah, that's a good point, I'm pretty sick of WoW myself

I beat the end boss on non-hard mode, but the hard modes are ridiculously difficult. And then it's pretty much impossible to play a new guy, since finding groups is a huge hassle outside of an organized guild

So far I'm getting a kick out of Champions Online, it's less like an MMO and more like a good version of Freedom Force/Marvel Ultimate Alliance

with characters you make yourself!

and people wonder why i love this game....

Arch on