Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Flay's Flailings (NSFW/NSF56K)

167891012»

• SublimusSublimus Registered User regular
    Second attempt is a much more interesting design, lighting setup, and POV. Nice!!

Only thing I would say to improve it some is to consider hue and saturation more. Looks like you're starting to play with it some in the second one, but metal generally has a much great variance than you've got.

• FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited March 26
    Yeah, I got frustrated with that painting and gave up too early. Here's a WIP of a second attempt

oSm23T8.jpg

Flay on
    edited March 28
    Almost done

0HWySYP.jpg

Flay on
    bowen
    Okay, I think that's enough

neVF3dt.jpg

IrukaSublimusToasticusProspicienceDarkMecha
    Came out real nice!

A logo design from a project that I'm working. I feel like it's missing some punch, so crits would be appreciated

Rd9oJtV.png

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I really love both the concept and shape, just wondering if you could go just one step further into simplification so you get a better read on the text, particularly if it had no color to help you out. You have a lot of experience in both design and illustration at the moment, but I feel like leaning back into the design chops and trying to get some bolder/more refined lines and shapes might make this feel more solid.

If this is purely for a shirt or something that going to similarly stay on the larger side, this might work as is, but I would still consider ways to give the text a little more breathing room. Maybe the mohawk is just the shape of the text, but solid so its all attached to his head, for instance.

Yoshisummons
    Completely agreed, here's my first attempt at reworking, focusing on the type

UBykFSh.png

• Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    I think the cheetah face could use a little bit of design revision to really emphasize the action there.
    I did a little drawover below: Trying to map out the rhythms of the head- connecting up all those little design details into a pattern that tells the story of the gesture- the original seems a little soft and mushy, not getting a strong sense of directionality to the overall action. In the drawover, I've tried to go back and reemphasize the gesture of the action, structuring the head to be like flowing lines converging from the back to the front- then redesigning the shapes of all the individual parts to help get that idea across (using the fur dots to make a gestural pattern, choosing where to go with smooth lines versus sharp/jagged ones in the outline, etc.

2s7btm72i20y.jpg

A thing I've noticed when drawing or referencing vicious real world animals, is that often you do have to do a lot of digging for good ref that really shows that, and do a good bit of work of exaggerating to make the character of the animal come across- because in repose, real lions/tigers/bears/wolves/etc. often look pretty adorable, rather than intimidating. So don't be afraid to push or edit the design beyond what you'd get from your ref, in order to sell the idea of "a roaring cheetah", more than an actual photo of a roaring cheetah would.
    If you look at a lot of Frazetta's animals, anatomically they rarely are particularly accurate to the animal in question, because he's exaggerating shamelessly- but they sell the idea of 'an attacking, vicious lion' or 'a powerful warcharger steed' far more effectively than an accurate rendition would.

IrukaFlay
  • SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    the design seems kinda of top heavy, radio is just dominating most of the design, i think the cheetah should be the focus word, with radio more of a tag-line maybe at the bottom? and yah the more cartoony/simplified you can make the cheetah the better, seems like some crazy jokey station? so reflect that tone with the cheetah, just think geometrical shapes for the face, triangle teeth oval face etcc, besides way ezier to vector later right

@Bacon That looks so much better! I'll try to revisit it over the weekend

@SeveredHead I was trying to get the type to read as a mohawk, so I can't really move it down to the bottom. I do agree with simplifying things though, it's way too cartoony for my tastes at the moment

Here's another thing I'm working on at the moment. The layout/treatment of the type is very much notional, so ignore it for now

NaYUgWs.jpg

SublimusProspicienceSeveredHead
    This looks very nice!

Only feedback I can give on the other thing is I kept reading it as RADID. So maybe shave off the corners of the O?

I think I was also reading it that way because originally it was a cheetah with a mohawk, and I thought you were playing on the RAD, and there are no (that I noticed) radio elements that would prime my mind in that direction.

edited December 10
    Yeah I agree, the type is kind of awful. I've kind of put that one aside for now, instead I've been learning some 3D techniques from Learn Squared

EStFI07.jpg

With this second one I wanted to see what I could get done in a 3 hour time limit, so it's still pretty janky, but I think the core is there

GD72fJO.jpg

Flay on
    IrukaacadiaProspicience
167891012»