Options

moving to new places

• Options
    pillowpillow Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've recently realized that all that stuff I reluctantly gave away when moving from my first apartment would really be handy now.

I won't be thinking about it at all and then all the sudden a thought pops in my head going all "TOWELS, YOU DON'T HAVE TOWELS ANYMORE" and then I'll obsess over it for way too long.

pillow on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I was about a month away from graduating college when my friend asked if I wanted to move to southern California with him after graduation. Since we were in Michigan at the time, it was no small proposition. I didn't have anything else planned for after school, so I just sorta shrugged my shoulders and said sure. So over the next 3 weeks I went into a mad dash looking for apartments, faxing documents, preparing general crap. Our first place bailed on us at the last minute, the other place was being bitchy, and I didn't actually have any money to move with.

Eventually we ironed out the apartment (in a neighborhood we knew nothing about in a state we'd never been to, 2,200 miles away), scrounged up some moving money, and headed out. Some friends came with us, so we spent 3 days driving across the US in a giant moving truck with attached car trailer, and a second car stuffed with...stuff. It was equally the most awesome and frustrating thing I've ever done.

Once we got there, we decided jobs might be a good idea since we didn't have money for more than a month or two (BAAAD IDEA). We got lucky and found work, but a couple months later my friend had a freak-out and moved back to Michigan.

I lived in SoCal for 4 years, and in that time lived in 4-5 different places. Moving suuucks. Then about a year ago, I moved to Japan! And in less than two months, I'm moving BACK to SoCal! Gonna be a big pain in my ass I'm sure, but I'm excited to get back.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    i want to move

how dumb would it be to move without any real savings or plan besides "let's see how this new place treats me"

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    really dumb.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    that's what i thought

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    pillowpillow Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That's basically what I've been doing for the last two years, snowbeat.

So yes, really dumb.

Someday I'll have money, though.

pillow on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've moved a bunch, definitely looking forward to being in one place for a while after I get this west coast thing figured out

Also, I have a terrible habit of waiting to pack until the absolute last minute, so I'm normally shoving things in random boxes and bags as the moving van is waiting for my lazy ass. Gonna try not to do that next time, it sucks

Usagi on
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    i guess the term "cottage" has changed quite a bit up there in canada

there is a difference between a nice cottage in the woods and a summer cottage in the hamptons

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    sno-bat update the scp thread plox

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    sno-bat update the scp thread plox
    i'ma gonna go see the a-team pretty soon, but i can do some stuff right now if you're game

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I am. I'm not sure who else is online, though.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm supposed to be moving into my own apartment the first of july!

i don't know if it's going to happen then because things at my new job keep getting fucked up and my bosses are being dumb and I think if it gets delayed anymore I will cry

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I am. I'm not sure who else is online, though.

let's make this happen

BugBoy on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    i want to move

how dumb would it be to move without any real savings or plan besides "let's see how this new place treats me"

I'm going to be the bad influence here and say... I mean, it's kind of dumb...

But it's equally if not more easy (for me, at least) to never move, to never undertake new experiences or radical changes, because of the intimidation of "I don't have enough savings, what will I do once I get there, how can I do this if every step isn't planned out?"

So if you constantly wait for the time to be juuust right, I feel like the danger is you end up stuck in a place that does you no good, as broke as you would be somewhere else and potentially more unhappy.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    i want to move

I'm going to be the bad influence here and say... I mean, it's kind of dumb...

But it's equally if not more easy (for me, at least) to never move, to never undertake new experiences or radical changes, because of the intimidation of "I don't have enough savings, what will I do once I get there, how can I do this if every step isn't planned out?"

So if you constantly wait for the time to be juuust right, I feel like the danger is you end up stuck in a place that does you no good, as broke as you would be somewhere else and potentially more unhappy.

well, that's my fear. currently i'm living at home, etc., not going to college this semester (unless i decide to head back to community college), and i really don't want to just hang around with my family for three or four months until my dad gets tired of making insinuations about the military and kicks me out

the problem would be gathering the funds to actually make the move, but that's just a matter of getting more work

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    QuirkQuirk Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Urrrrgh, I might have to move again soon, and I hate moving.

I do always love living in a new place though

I have too much stuff, and IT'S NOT EVEN THAT MUCH STUFF! I just own far too many books and dvds and guitars and things. It's possible to pack everything I would really want to take somewhere into a decent sized car, and the stuff I actually feel I really really need I could pretty much carry in a couple of bags. Not comfortably, but it could be done

Quirk on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    like really the tears are welling up

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    Usagi wrote: »
    I've moved a bunch, definitely looking forward to being in one place for a while after I get this west coast thing figured out

Also, I have a terrible habit of waiting to pack until the absolute last minute, so I'm normally shoving things in random boxes and bags as the moving van is waiting for my lazy ass. Gonna try not to do that next time, it sucks

yeah, that's me also

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    kosh, you're already in van?

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Moving sucks. Just finished moving/unpacking etc etc, I am a hoarder, I nest in my space. I need to cover my walls and I just keep accumulating stuff. It's awesome stuff though so it's ok. I plan to buy in a year or two then maybe jump the border.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Everybody move. Move right now.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    everybody

dance

now

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    no.

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Druhim wrote: »
    Usagi wrote: »

yeah, that's me also

This time I'm at least trying to be better! I've already gone through and gotten rid of a bunch of old clothes, shoes and duplicate books, now if I could just get all of my paperwork and junk organized!

Usagi on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If I don't get a job soon I'm gonna have to move back in with my parents in Rutherfordton when the apartment lease runs out at the end of July

If that happens I'll have drunk myself to death within a month

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    yeah you'd think that

it's not that bad, see. but it's fucking horrible

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    If I don't get a job soon I'm gonna have to move back in with my parents in Rutherfordton when the apartment lease runs out at the end of July

If that happens I'll have drunk myself to death within a month

Yeah, I'd probably swallow the barrel of one of my guns before moving back in with my parents. That's why sometimes I just say to my wife "yes dear, I'm sorry for whatever it is that I did and will go think about it".

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    just want to move out of my parents' house more than anything

if i don't move out july 1st i might as well just die

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My parents are so rad

One time my mom had a talk with me about how it was cool for me to bring women of questionable morals home because that's probably what I was doing at school anyways

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Straightzi wrote: »
    My parents are so rad

One time my mom had a talk with me about how it was cool for me to bring women of questionable morals home because that's probably what I was doing at school anyways

Well, see, I think my parents are awesome too

It's just that Rutherfordton is really a black hole of a redneck town, and if you don't get out in the world fast then you're gonna die there, alone and probably drunk

That town is the most miserable place I've ever lived and I truly fear having to call it home again

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    just want to move out of my parents' house more than anything

if i don't move out july 1st i might as well just die

Where do you live?

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Straightzi wrote: »
    My parents are so rad

Well, see, I think my parents are awesome too

It's just that Rutherfordton is really a black hole of a redneck town, and if you don't get out in the world fast then you're gonna die there, alone and probably drunk

That town is the most miserable place I've ever lived and I truly fear having to call it home again

Yeah, but maybe you could get a job at the local Wal-Mart and one day make assistant manager.

Hunter on
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I still got a year or so before i consider moving. I am thinking of taking a globe and throwing a dart at it. When i eventually hit it, that is where i am moving.

I will likely end up in Rand McNally.

Melding on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    oh, it ain't bad. you ain't in michigan. so there's one thing going for you.

you doin the college thing? do the college thing

Calamity Jane on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Aaaagh Wal-Mart

I won't go in the Rutherfordton Wal-Mart after dark

It's like a cross between Deliverance and the Mos Eisley Cantina

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Melding wrote: »
    I still got a year or so before i consider moving. I am thinking of taking a globe and throwing a dart at it. When i eventually hit it, that is where i am moving.

Still better then New Jersey

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Aaaagh Wal-Mart

I won't go in the Rutherfordton Wal-Mart after dark

It's like a cross between Deliverance and the Mos Eisley Cantina

One time I stopped at my local Wal-Mart in Pennsylvania after midnight when I was working a third shift. The creatures that I saw shocked and awed me.

People buying a full cart full of groceries at 1am on like a Thursday. WTF.

Hunter on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah I'd hate to be too far from civilization

I mean, I'm in the rural part of Connecticut, but seriously, it's the rural part of Connecticut

I could be to New York City or Boston in a couple of hours if I needed to be

Straightzi on
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hunter wrote: »
    Melding wrote: »

Still better then New Jersey

Why would you even say that? Do you often post about the sky is blue? Of course it is better then new Jersey. Detroit is better then new jersey. That is how bad New Jersey is.

Melding on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Move in date is officially july 10. gonna be moving into the first place i'll be paying a mortgage on, even if it is a condo. feels like a grown up now. also, didn't realize how much crap i've accumulated. Right now, i have about 15 boxes full of books and dvds and junk, and still growing. i haven't moved in yet, and i'm already worried about showing up in hoarders on a&e. gonna be so clutch walking across the street to the metro, then going to stops to work holy poop

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!