Options

moving to new places

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    Druhim wrote: »
    I think I am going to move to the city after college!

my whole life I've been like "ugh the city gross" but now I'm like "hey what a neat place to be living with friends as a young person"

also I always kinda figured the whole city was like Manhattan being a naive west-coast child, but woops, turns out parts of Brooklyn are amazing (park slope ghrglrhgl)

I grew up in the burbs and until I was a young adult I thought I wanted to stay in the burbs
    but I ended up moving closer to the city because I needed to move and it was near where I worked and affordable, and I realized how great it can be (for me, not everyone of course) to live in a more urban setting where you don't have to drive everywhere and there's actually nightlife and culture

I've never even lived anywhere with burbs

I just don't know if I can stay all-there in a place where I don't have the woods out my backdoor -- I've grown up in a series of places surrounded by wilderness

I'm still pretty certain I'm going to settle down in a town that's a little removed from everything, but I'll give metropolis a shot for a couple of years

Well, when we moved from California up to Washington, I spent my teen years in a "suburb" of Seattle that was about an hour from the city and was heavily wooded. I could walk out the front door and be in pretty heavy woods in 100 ft. Had a stream nearby that had salmon spawning in it. I spent a lot of time in those woods as a teen because I was fascinated by nature. It's definitely more built up now though.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

my whole life I've been like "ugh the city gross" but now I'm like "hey what a neat place to be living with friends as a young person"

also I always kinda figured the whole city was like Manhattan being a naive west-coast child, but woops, turns out parts of Brooklyn are amazing (park slope ghrglrhgl)

I grew up in the burbs and until I was a young adult I thought I wanted to stay in the burbs
    but I ended up moving closer to the city because I needed to move and it was near where I worked and affordable, and I realized how great it can be (for me, not everyone of course) to live in a more urban setting where you don't have to drive everywhere and there's actually nightlife and culture

I just don't know if I can stay all-there in a place where I don't have the woods out my backdoor -- I've grown up in a series of places surrounded by wilderness

I'm still pretty certain I'm going to settle down in a town that's a little removed from everything, but I'll give metropolis a shot for a couple of years
    Everyone should live in a place they think they'll hate for at least a little while. That way when you're old and bitter you can trash on it all you want since you actually lived there. Not like most of the old people in my family who just about had a heart attack when I told them I was moving to CA.

"But all they got is queers and spics and earthquakes! That place is AWFUL!"
    "Oh so you've been there?"
    "I don't gotta go to know I don't like it!"

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Well, when we moved from California up to Washington, I spent my teen years in a "suburb" of Seattle that was about an hour from the city and was heavily wooded. I could walk out the front door and be in pretty heavy woods in 100 ft. Had a stream nearby that had salmon spawning in it. I spent a lot of time in those woods as a teen because I was fascinated by nature. It's definitely more built up now though.

yes but back then you had to pack all of your belongings into a covered wagon and ford some rivers

caulking was an option but only pussies considered it

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

see my ideal ending-up point would be pretty close to that

maybe more like two or three hours from the city instead of one, but nonetheless

but I'm sure that when it comes time to settle down I'll be older and wiser, so I'm not putting too much stock in those sorts of decisions

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Houk wrote: »

Everyone should live in a place they think they'll hate for at least a little while. That way when you're old and bitter you can trash on it all you want since you actually lived there. Not like most of the old people in my family who just about had a heart attack when I told them I was moving to CA.

"But all they got is queers and spics and earthquakes! That place is AWFUL!"
    "Oh so you've been there?"
    "I don't gotta go to know I don't like it!"

Reminds me of when my friend Mike went to Maryland to spend some time with his ex-wife's family (before they were divorced of course) and it turned out they were a bunch of in-bred hicks (they were actually her extended adoptive family). They lived about an hour outside DC but none of them had ever been because they all saw the city as this terrifying hellhole. There was also a predominantly black neighborhood nearby that they were warned to avoid, and when they drove through all they could think was, "this is a much nicer, cleaner neighborhood than theirs is."

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    When my family moved to their first house, it was off schedule and still needed a few days to finish up.

Then a few days more. And another few days more. So we were living in a hotel for 9 days. Also my sister and I got food poisoning.

Then years later we realize oh god this house is a piece of shit maybe we should sue the builder.

I'd love to live in Seattle or something one day but I've never lived in the city, just small towns all my life. I am more familiar with the sweet smell of corn and hay than drunken hobo.

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    nuka wrote: »
    When my family moved to their first house, it was off schedule and still needed a few days to finish up.

Then a few days more. And another few days more. So we were living in a hotel for 9 days. Also my sister and I got food poisoning.

Then years later we realize oh god this house is a piece of shit maybe we should sue the builder.

I'd love to live in Seattle or something one day but I've never lived in the city, just small towns all my life. I am more familiar with the sweet smell of corn and hay than drunken hobo.

Shit girl, when my family moved up here from California my dad's job had already started (transfer within Xerox to a Bellevue office) but the house wasn't done. We lived in a hotel for at least 2 months before it was ready.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hobos don't often smell as bad as you'd think.

Not to say they don't smell terrible, but not AS terrible as you'd think!.

Melding on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Shit girl, when my family moved up here from California my dad's job had already started (transfer within Xerox to a Bellevue office) but the house wasn't done. We lived in a hotel for at least 2 months before it was ready.
    Was it actually put together right? My parents fought for years to sue the guy, and it was just supposed to be a cookie-cutter suburban style house. When the earthquake hit we were like an hour and a half or so north of Seattle and my mother was certain the house was going to collapse on top of her. Still I can't believe they'd be off schedule so badly, was it something special your family hired them to build or something? Two months is a bit much!

When my family first moved to this side of the Cascades, my dad started work at Boeing but my mother and I and my little sister were still in Spokane for a while until we could afford an apartment in Woodenville. I have moved at least 7 times? My family rented a bunch of places in the Spokane/Coure d' Alene area when I was a baby.

nuka on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Reminds me of when my friend Mike went to Maryland to spend some time with his ex-wife's family (before they were divorced of course) and it turned out they were a bunch of in-bred hicks (they were actually her extended adoptive family). They lived about an hour outside DC but none of them had ever been because they all saw the city as this terrifying hellhole. There was also a predominantly black neighborhood nearby that they were warned to avoid, and when they drove through all they could think was, "this is a much nicer, cleaner neighborhood than theirs is."
    Yeeaah, that seems to be a thing, unfortunately. Happens with native city-dwellers, too. I grew up in a small, conservative Michigan town, have lots of family in the south, spent time in some of the most rural areas and really enjoyed it.

But when I talk fondly of woody vacations and stuff to my LA friends, they stare at me in horror and can't imagine spending days in the WILDERNESS (small towns count as wilderness) surrounded by people NOT from the CITY. Come on, live a little, people!

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I disagree. Shit and old piss smell pretty bad.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I lived in Toronto before (as opposed to the suburb of Toronto that I live in now).

It smelled like piss.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Melding wrote: »

Well if I have to compare I think I'd prefer the country.

nuka on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Was it actually put together right? My parents fought for years to sue the guy, and it was just supposed to be a cookie-cutter suburban style house. When the earthquake hit we were like an hour and a half or so north of Seattle and my mother was certain the house was going to collapse on top of her. Still I can't believe they'd be off schedule so badly, was it something special your family hired them to build or something? Two months is a bit much!

When my family first moved to this side of the Cascades, my dad started work at Boeing but my mother and I and my little sister were still in Spokane for a while until we could afford an apartment in Woodenville. I have moved at least 7 times? My family rented a bunch of places in the Spokane/Coure d' Alene area when I was a baby.

Oh yeah, we never had any significant problems with the house. Was built just fine as far as I remember. Of course we moved out long before the Nisqually quake hit, so I have no idea how it held up. But the house is out in Woodinville so I imagine the quake wasn't that bad there.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Right, they smell terrible, but not as bad as they are hyped up to be.

Melding on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I lived in a section of Edmonton that had these signs plastered all over the streets:

"NO PROSTITUTION ALLOWED! If you see prostitution in action, call our REPORT-A-JOHN Hotline at 1-800-IFUCKINGHATEEDMONTON"

I really wish I stole one before I left the city.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

It's roughly as bad as pig shit to be honest. Fresh pig shit. In the sun. with a strong breeze.

Melding on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Houk wrote: »
    Yeeaah, that seems to be a thing, unfortunately. Happens with native city-dwellers, too. I grew up in a small, conservative Michigan town, have lots of family in the south, spent time in some of the most rural areas and really enjoyed it.

But when I talk fondly of woody vacations and stuff to my LA friends, they stare at me in horror and can't imagine spending days in the WILDERNESS (small towns count as wilderness) surrounded by people NOT from the CITY. Come on, live a little, people!
    I live 15 minutes south of a town with a population of 3,000. I see wild animals walking around in my yard all the time. I don't live in the boonies but I still don't cell phone reception and my neighbors like to shoot guns at all hours of the night.

nuka on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Right, they smell terrible, but not as bad as they are hyped up to be.

It all depends man each city has different kinds of bums.

Toronto ones? Sure they're gross and smelly but they aren't too had.

Edmonton ones? Jesus fuck they are hellspawn.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

It's roughly as bad as pig shit to be honest. Fresh pig shit. In the sun. with a strong breeze.

Dairy Farms.

nuka on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Al_wat wrote: »
    I lived in a section of Edmonton that had these signs plastered all over the streets:

"NO PROSTITUTION ALLOWED! If you see prostitution in action, call our REPORT-A-JOHN Hotline at 1-800-IFUCKINGHATEEDMONTON"

ahahahaha nice

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Dairy Farms.

Wouldn't know, we mostly have beef ranches, plus pig and chicken farms. Pig shit is worse then cow, i can say this as fact.

Melding on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    pig and chicken farms are a hell of a lot worse than dairy farms

L|ama on
  • Options
    Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The best part about moving is throwing out all the shit you really don't need.

I moved to California with clothing and a computer.

It was terrifying and liberating.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    There was a duck farm off one of the freeways east of LA. You could literally smell it 5 miles away, and if it got in your car before you turned off the A/C you got to live with it for the next 10 minutes or so

which is a fucking eternity

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    There's a lot of dairy farms around here, not so many chicken or pig farms.

Pretty glad I don't go to school right next to one anymore though, but I still have to drive past one on my way to town.

nuka on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    and hobos aren't quite as bad as a pig farm. see how this system works?

Melding on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

ahahahaha nice

366609499_532c865f93.jpg

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    fortunately I've never had to experience the atrocity that is a pig farm firsthand

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    and hobos aren't quite as bad as a pig farm. see how this system works?

I can read. ;-;

I do have some real concerns about making a jump to the big city but god there's nothing here but bars and farms and stupid little antique shops that sell more doilies and lace than actual antiques.

nuka on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I've never had to endure a pig farm, however my brother's company used to be located near a pig rendering plant. (is that the correct term? In went pigs, out came meat)

It smelt HORRID on certain days. Absolute death.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    you get used to it.

It sometimes remind me of home

"ah sewage and pig shit, it's like essex county came to me"

Melding on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    you get used to it.

this is the most terrifying prospect of all

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    You can never get used to the smell of a skunk that's been turned into roadkill, if it's any consolation.

nuka on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    there's a chicken farm around here and the recruitment agencies (you know, come to us and we'll give you a job and take 10% of your pay or whatever) use it as a test to see how much bullshit and stench you're willing to put up with.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I've never had to endure a pig farm, however my brother's company used to be located near a pig rendering plant. (is that the correct term? In went pigs, out came meat)

It smelt HORRID on certain days. Absolute death.

yeah there's also a tannery in the suburb between town and me

thankfully they seem to have gone under or something, I dunno

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    If it happened everyday, i think you could.

Melding on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I just might

Might

Prefer to go back to Utah instead of Rutherfordton

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    You can never get used to the smell of a skunk that's been turned into roadkill, if it's any consolation.

The worst is if you are a pothead, and from a distance you're like "DUDE! IT SMELLS LIKE DANK"

then you get closer and realize you just enjoyed the smell of rotting, dead skunk.
    then you roll a bit of it up and smoke it anyways

Al_wat on
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    pig shit is the worst shit by far

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]