Options

moving to new places

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I enjoy what i have helped this thread become.

Melding on
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Al_wat wrote: »
    nuka wrote: »
    You can never get used to the smell of a skunk that's been turned into roadkill, if it's any consolation.

The worst is if you are a pothead, and from a distance you're like "DUDE! IT SMELLS LIKE DANK"

then you get closer and realize you just enjoyed the smell of rotting, dead skunk.
    then you roll a bit of it up and smoke it anyways
    D:

I think I'll miss the sounds of frogs croaking at night the most once I leave.
    My window is open right now and I can hear them.

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You can never get used to the smell of a skunk that's been turned into roadkill, if it's any consolation.

The worst is if you are a pothead, and from a distance you're like "DUDE! IT SMELLS LIKE DANK"

then you get closer and realize you just enjoyed the smell of rotting, dead skunk.
    then you roll a bit of it up and smoke it anyways
    D:

I think I'll miss the sounds of frogs croaking at night the most once I leave.
    My window is open right now and I can hear them.

If you're heading into a city this gets replaced with the lovely sounds of police sirens, homeless people shouting, and your neighbors having sex.

Enjoy.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    Melding wrote: »
    and hobos aren't quite as bad as a pig farm. see how this system works?

I can read. ;-;

I do have some real concerns about making a jump to the big city but god there's nothing here but bars and farms and stupid little antique shops that sell more doilies and lace than actual antiques.

you just have to jump in and give it a go
    be open minded
    because one of the best thing about the city is the diversity of people
    the old trannies that don't come even close to passing
    the hipsters
    different nationalities, and just as importantly their cuisine
    all the different types of music you can go see live (as opposed to pretty much just country and classic rock cover bands)

but if that doesn't appeal to you
    if differences freak you out
    then the city probably isn't for you

but you don't really know till you take the plunge and give it an honest go

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Brothers and I had show pigs once

It was pretty miserable

We told my little brother we sent his piggy Rupert off to a happy farm somewhere

While we were eating him for breakfast

edit: Well I could have worded that better, but ah well

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    homeless people have a lot to shout about at 2:30am

'tis the witching hour

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    every day the world is marching closer to its doom. PEOPLE HAVE TO KNOW!

Melding on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Druhim wrote: »
    Melding wrote: »
    and hobos aren't quite as bad as a pig farm. see how this system works?

I can read. ;-;

I do have some real concerns about making a jump to the big city but god there's nothing here but bars and farms and stupid little antique shops that sell more doilies and lace than actual antiques.

you just have to jump in and give it a go
    be open minded
    because one of the best thing about the city is the diversity of people
    the old trannies that don't come even close to passing
    the hipsters
    different nationalities, and just as importantly their cuisine
    all the different types of music you can go see live (as opposed to pretty much just country and classic rock cover bands)

but if that doesn't appeal to you
    if differences freak you out
    then the city probably isn't for you

but you don't really know till you take the plunge and give it an honest go
    If I hear the Eagles or the Dixie Chicks one more time.

I am going to live in the city one day, that's not up for debate. I don't really have a backbone and I hesitate a lot but I really hope living in the city is as fun as I imagine it to be. I just need to slap myself in the face and do it.
    Also, tired of power outages. It should be a law in any area with a lot of trees that the lines are put below ground. Anytime the wind is forecasted to gust to 30+ I get the candles out.
    As soon as I can get a job and earn a little more money I'm getting the hell out of dodge.

nuka on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I wish I lived in a part of a city where I could walk to cool places and do fun things without using my car

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    i have moved .. a lot
    i think this is my 16th time
    i've lived in the suburbs
    i've lived in the "ghetto" (well, ghetto van which is east van)
    i've lived in the country..
    and i've been in the city for the past .. uhhh.. how old am i .. okay, so 7 years about.

mully on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    ZeroFill wrote: »
    homeless people have a lot to shout about at 2:30am

'tis the witching hour

If people aren't killing raccoons with shotguns at midnight, something is probably going on. Maybe they aren't home?

There was a pretty scary incident a number of years ago. There's a meth lab around here, supposedly. I live across the street from a retired security guard who used to work at the lumber mills around Everett. He's kind of a huge asshole, loves to gossip, often refers to people by their nationalities than their names. Anyways he figured out where the meth lab was I guess, I don't remember if he reported it or was threatening to but around midnight near Christmas time someone in a tiny little car fires off a semi-automatic at my neighbor's side gate.
    I was under my desk so fast.

nuka on
  • Options
    thedude_frombaywatchthedude_frombaywatch Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    NotACrook wrote: »
    Just never move some place for a girl.

That's the worst plan.

I love you, Orik, move here to be with me instead

Unless its for love right?

thedude_frombaywatch on
    xbl tag: Dynamis King
    MineCraft: Menetherin
    Steam: Vloeza_SE++

• Options
    edited June 2010
    what's love but a second hand emotion?

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    "Hate" is actually not the default human emotion.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    thedude_frombaywatchthedude_frombaywatch Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I got to ask. How is it you people just up and move. I really need to know this because I am the type of person who if I don't have the money to support myself and no job props to where I plan to move I freak out. I have to have these things.

Anyone have any stories of moving far away from your parents house with no job in mind, minimal cash, and actually making out okay? How does that work.

I don't even know how you could get an apartment with deposits being so high and stuff =\

I ask because in December. This may be me.

thedude_frombaywatch on
    xbl tag: Dynamis King
    MineCraft: Menetherin
    Steam: Vloeza_SE++

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I got to ask. How is it you people just up and move. I really need to know this because I am the type of person who if I don't have the money to support myself and no job props to where I plan to move I freak out. I have to have these things.

Anyone have any stories of moving far away from your parents house with no job in mind, minimal cash, and actually making out okay? How does that work.

I don't even know how you could get an apartment with deposits being so high and stuff =\

I ask because in December. This may be me.

Step 1: get yourself a bottle of whiskey.
    Step 2: put on some old country and rock, specifically songs about ramblin' men.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    When I first moved to Edmonton I had zero jobs lined up, about 2k in cash, and a (super shitty) place lined up with some friends.

i just up and moved on a whim because I wasn't doing shit where I was, and I knew that in Edmonton there were crazy jobs available.

Having about $2,000 available to me made it a lot easier, but realistically i could have done it with a lot less.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    "Hate" is actually not the default human emotion.

?

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    its a difficult concept I know.

Don't worry I am an understanding person

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I just don't understand what that was in response to.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    By saying "what's love but a second hand emotion?"

I thought you were saying, awww fuck love.

but now that you are making me re-analyze myself I think I am misunderstanding shit.

:rotate:

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    By saying "what's love but a second hand emotion?"

I thought you were saying, awww fuck love.

but now that you are making me re-analyze myself I think I am misunderstanding shit.

:rotate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaQkaY5-OVk

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I got you dru, don't worry.

Melding on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    picard-headesk.jpg

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    By far my biggest move ever. Zip codes used to protect the innocent:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=35758&daddr=35.400245,-119.31633+to:95054&hl=en&geocode=FXeeEQId6x7U-inNYtCB82ViiDHPgbJQLqLjww%3B%3BFUyoOgIdqvi6-CkTK0sevsmPgDG3IwGPFlVbjQ&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=11&via=1&sll=35.334733,-119.038239&sspn=0.441961,0.891953&ie=UTF8&ll=34.597042,-102.744141&spn=28.377986,57.084961&z=5

We moved from Kansas to Alabama when I was 4. I didn't live anywhere else until I went to college in Atlanta. The I moved here, and switched apartments once.

I don't like moving. I don't anticipate I'll do it again excepting for a move back to the east coast at some point.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    TRUE

I HAVE BEEN EDUCATED

NOW EVERYONE! DANCE PARTY!

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    TRUE

I HAVE BEEN EDUCATED

NOW EVERYONE! DANCE PARTY!

:^:

partycat.png

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    I kinda hate moving

hate it a lot

but I spent part of the weekend driving around in fall city and carnation and snoqualmie

I could live out there in a farmhouse, no fuckin' problem

big yard, house for cheap, get a place with an old barn, have a nice garden, turn the barn into a game room slash studio and shit

god I want that so fuckin bad

less then half an hour from redmond, so I get a job at a studio over here and I'm all good

metro transit has busses that run out there all the time

real estate still crazy cheap out there compared to everywhere else around the fucking eastside

nice library and high speed internet available in fall city, in a town with less then 7,000 people, within a half hour drive of the city

that's good living

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I got so many friends here I didn't know last year

who the fuck are y'all

DANCIN A FUCKIN STORM

Al_wat on
  • Options
    IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I quit my job in Japan due to my employers being bullying assholes, moved back to my mom's place in Spokane to find work. That lasted about 3 weeks because her husband is an asshole.
    Moved up to my dad's place outside of Sandpoint, Idaho. It's beautiful, but his place is a converted barn with wood heat and the well busted, so all the water is from the creek and not safe for consumption. This sucks, but the car I was using (I sold mine before leaving for Japan) totally died and I was screwed living 30 minutes from town without a car.
    So, I moved over to Lynnwood and I'm staying with a friend, but I have to find a better job very soon because I have about a month and a half until we agreed I'd leave. In hindsight, I should have sucked it up more in Japan and saved up more money. But at the time I was so extremely stressed at the job that it was making me sick.

Iloveslimes on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    too bad they only had one job in japan, huh

I woulda figured they'd have more

what with it being a big ol' country and all

but guess not

whatta ya gunna do

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I didn't want to get stuck in a similar situation with another shitty conversation school. I figured it was time to head back to the States. My life went a bit off the rails after my divorce.

Iloveslimes on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    too bad they only had one job in japan, huh

I woulda figured they'd have more

what with it being a big ol' country and all

but guess not

whatta ya gunna do
    If you've got a non-government job teaching English, they pretty much only have one job in Japan. Any problem you have at one place, you are likely to have at all places

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Amity English School was even worse. I was supposed to be frantic and happy like kids' tv host all the time. I could do it for a while, but that wears on a sane person. Sorry we never got to hang out in Nagoya, Houk.

Iloveslimes on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Amity English School was even worse. I was supposed to be frantic and happy like kids' tv host all the time. I could do it for a while, but that wears on a sane person. Sorry we never got to hang out in Nagoya, Houk.
    'Sall good! I am basically busy every weekend all the time and have a ton of people I don't see as much as I'd like. Damn you for being so active japaaaaan~!

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Houk, what percentage of the Japanese population would you classify as "Animes"?
    Is it all of them? Are they all Animes?

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    oh, simple-minded innocent Lurker

no, they are not all animes

some of them are squids

some of them are pretend rockabillies

some of them are calculators

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Houk, what percentage of the Japanese population would you classify as "Animes"?
    Is it all of them? Are they all Animes?
    Very few are Animes themselves, but nearly everyone has friends or family who are or know at least one Anime.

Funny story, I hooked up with this girl who was a manga writer, published in some weekly serial and everything. And she refused to tell me how old she was, and she had like thousands of dollars in Canadian traveler's checks just laying around, with no plans to go to Canada any time soon. Her sister had a pet chicken, and she got phone pics of the chicken every day doing stupid stuff. Her mom would call her and start singing traditional Japanese songs without even saying hello.

That was definitely an Anime family.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I wish I could experience for, say, a day, the life of a modern Japanese person

not because I think Japan is so rad or cool or anything

more because the way Japanese-born-and-raised individuals approach life is so, so different from my own that I can't even imagine what is going on with them

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    And then Houk married that girl

Grey Ghost on