As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Magic Online - V.4 Client Public Beta looms before us

• Options
    Dropping LoadsDropping Loads Registered User regular
    I hate 4 booster draft. You're much less likely to get a bomb, or a card that can deal with a bomb, and the people who do get bombs get to draw and play them more frequently. To be fair, I'm not much a fan of sealed even at 6 boosters.

Sceptre: Penny Arcade, where you get starcraft AND marriage advice.
    3clipse: The key to any successful marriage is a good mid-game transition.
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I don't think I've ever experienced anyone who knows how to properly execute a Mindslaver to competitive ends. Everyone just fiddles around and ends up achieving nothing other than maybe killing your mans with your own removal.

• Options
    HuxleyHuxley Registered User regular
    Hey! Tom LaPille's column today answers one of my tweet/questions! That's pretty cool.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Lost an 8-4 m12 last night, but I did ok. Got taken down by my favorite deck U/R.

I'm loving how bots are suddenly buying up my huge plethora of old rares and uncommons for the Modern crap.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    BreadcrumbBreadcrumb Registered User regular
    Won my first tourney ever on the weekend. M12 sealed swiss - 4x boosters. I must say, I'm much happier when I don't lose horribly.

Also, 4x booster sealed is a really wierd format. And it does seems to be pretty random/luck based - I had a bizarrely strong white weenie build (grand abolisher, alabaster mage, griffin rider, oblivion ring, bunch of griffins) with a bit of a black splash to round out my curve a bit better. I came this close to running a blue mill deck when I saw I had 2 Jace Erasure's. But I chickened out.

I'll play at least once more now! :)

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Finally won some EDH games, both online and offline.

Offline, played Rhys against Mimeoplasm, Kaalia, and Riku. All of the latter were stock precon. Things were looking grim when Mimeoplasm became a 23/23 via Mortivore and Kaalia decided to Mortify his Brawn to give it Trample just because she was topdecking by that time and probably wanted the game to end. Riku Ray of Commanded it, then hit him with all his creatures, killing Mimeoplasm player. I never got a good set of tokens out thanks to my own Austere Command to get rid of Kaalia's creatures and her Akroma's Vengeance later, and just having to chump block several times. But I eventually got out Martyr's Bond, and threw out saprolings every turn via Sprout Swarm to chump block and force them to sacrifice creatures too while my Eternal Dragon dealt with the flyers (we had an early Join Forces card to each get +6 basic lands, so I had around 14 mana by game end). Eventually got Skullcamp and I could at sorcery speed draw cards and kill creatures. When Riku and Kaalia were topdecking (both generals were at like 3 or 4 deaths) I put out Luminarch's Ascension and my Rhys to double angels for the win.

Online game I was playing Thrun against Glissa the Traitor, Mimeoplasm, and some other general, probably Sharuum. Glissa put out that creature that forced opponents to sac creatures on upkeep so my Thrun was sad. Mimeoplasm cloned it, then put it back out from graveyard. Sharuum killed it, I threw out Thrun, then Mimeoplasm mimeoplasmed it, which was shuffled into library by Sharuum. Sharuum put out Gilded Drake so I put out Squallmonger, killed it, and he took it over, which was fine since I could still use its ability. I had Mana reflection so did 10 damage on my turn, killing him (Mimeoplasm conceded since he was at 5 life). Glissa was a problem with her general out + Sylvan Tutored for Kozilek, Butcher of Truth. I topdecked a Sword of Body and Mind, milling his Kozilek and he conceded.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    Congrats to both of you guys.

I've temporarily retired my Animar deck just because it either lead to abusive wins or getting abused by everyone else due to the fear of Animar.

So instead I built a janky Darigaaz, the Igniter deck (BRG). D. Loads and Fooms got to which the abominable test run against a table full of the 'tarded, including some schmuck that cast Warp World even though he had the least amount of permanents on the board. This resulted in him ending up with two lands, just two lands. Meanwhile I had warped into a decent board, except another guy warped into a Confiscate for my Sheoldred. Then, when I went to cast Life Finale to clear the board, one of the other geese with no board position decided to Flusterstorm it. Even the guy who had stolen my Sheoldred was confused and irritated by such incompetence.

Obviously, Sheoldred-thief won.

I've had a couple more games since. The deck isn't good by any stretch of the imagination, but as long as table isn't stupid, it's still very fun.

• Options
    The_InfidelThe_Infidel Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Can any of you recommend a good online, deck building / collection logging site?

Edit: Deckbox looks relatively easy...

The_Infidel on
  • Options
    eeSanGeeSanG I slice like a goddamn hammer. Registered User regular
    Decided to crack my last M12 booster because I don't see myself playing too much until Innistrad is out.
    Opened a Cemetary Reaper with no good uncommons. lol

Then I found the Expected Tix Values of boosters on MTGS:
    SOM: 0.7485852987
    MBS: 1.1223125
    NPH: 1.567875
    M12: 0.7907409592

Hahaha. Jeez.

LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
  • Options
    This would be awesome if it didn't use Planeswalker format: Phantom Events

• Options
    2 tix total for entry is pretty nice. I would play if Planeswalker cards didn't end up in your deck editor or if there was a filter.

Really glad I never opened that Planeswalker deck they gave me.

LFMGb.jpg
  • Options
    eeSanG wrote:
    2 tix total for entry is pretty nice. I would play if Planeswalker cards didn't end up in your deck editor or if there was a filter.

Really glad I never opened that Planeswalker deck they gave me.

Huh? You do realize the link is all about events where the cards you "draft" don't enter your collection, right?

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    phantom draft will let them do some silly formats like all rares or totaly random packs made from all available cards. It will probably also lead to more drafts of older sets. seems like a great thing to me.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Oh, I guess I read that wrong. Seems odd that they don't allow you to keep the extra Planeswalkers format cards as a way to promote the format.

Or maybe it's a great thing. I'll probably participate now.

LFMGb.jpg
  • Options
    Sorry for double posting, but I wanted critique on this draft:

LFMGb.jpg
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    eeSanG wrote:
    Sorry for double posting, but I wanted critique on this draft:

Looks okay. I like GU in principle, although I haven't played enough M12 to know how it fares in this set. With no removal (other than plummet) and only one counter, some cards are going to give you fits like the new white tapper or Royal Assassin.

Hard to critique without seeing what you passed. Put your draft up on raredraft.com if you want pick by pick feedback.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I forgot to turn the draft recorder on for that one. Ended up going 2-1, with my losses being not drawing a third land and losing by 2 life in the final game (made a few misplays). I don't think I ran enough white mana for that Pacifism.

I can't determine on how I should be treating MTGO compared to Paper. I currently run the same deck on both, RDW, so I want to split decks so it doesn't feel like I'm investing in the same cards twice when Innistrad comes around.

For MTGO, should I pick the deck I feel has the best chances of winning or the deck that I enjoy playing more? I don't play in the Standard Dailies, but I've wanted to. I top 4'd twice in the last 3 FNM's I attended and I enjoyed playing competitively there.

What are your perspectives?

eeSanG on
    LFMGb.jpg
  • Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    This whole double-sided card thing looks extremely unwield and bound for a great deal of strife and chaos. It'll probably work ok on MTGO though. I just stocked up on Wolf cards just incase :p Bewarer my Wolf EDH deck!

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    the big problem i see with the whole werewolf thing is that in the transformed mode they have a cmc of 0, and are therefor super vulnerable to ratchet bomb, can't see them becoming more than a silly kitchen table tribal deck.

• Options
    This ratchet bomb blah blah is isn't actually a big deal. I mean, things die.
    How many Werewolves have to be transformed to give your Ratchet Bomb value?
    Assuming there are any Werewolves good enough for constructed, they don't have to be in a tribal deck, so chances are it'd just be a 1 for 1.

That said, I suspect they didn't make any of them with constructed in mind, other than the new Garruk. Otherwise there'd be way too much sleeving and unsleeving.

• Options
    I forget what they said about the Innistrad distribution - I seemed to get the impression that there would be 1 double-faced card per pack, but less than 1 checklist card every pack. Meaning the checklist cards will probably end up being worth more than some of the double-faced cards themselves. I think the Obsessive Cumpulsive demo is going to spike demand.

In other news, my last 4x M12 sealed was the worst pool imaginable. I blame the cards totally, of course. 2 dual lands, rites of flourishing, doubling chant, and scrambleverse were my rares. And the pool went downhill from there. Fun though - I managed one game win in epic fashion (which made up for the repeated epic losses) - it involved an all in attack of about 12 on 13 guys, including saprolings, solider tokens, and pentavites, and - I kid you not - a "Taste of Blood" as a finisher .

• Options
    Dropping LoadsDropping Loads Registered User regular
    You're slightly off there, Breadcrumb. There will be 1 double-faced card per pack AT MOST, and 90% of the packs with a double-faced card will have a checklist card. It is possible for checklist cards to appear in packs without a double-faced card.

Sceptre: Penny Arcade, where you get starcraft AND marriage advice.
    3clipse: The key to any successful marriage is a good mid-game transition.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    WOTC has also said that they would be giving huge piles of checklist cards to stores, so I suspect that they won't cost anything more than a basic land. not that it will matter for mtgo, woo go go digital cards :)

Foomy on
  • Options
    You're slightly off there, Breadcrumb. There will be 1 double-faced card per pack AT MOST, and 90% of the packs with a double-faced card will have a checklist card. It is possible for checklist cards to appear in packs without a double-faced card.

Brew, I'm pretty sure he's correct about there being 1 DFC per pack of Innistrad, though I can't off-hand remember if that was clarified on MaRo's tumblr, twitter, or an article on the site. But it was mentioned that the DFCs are on separately collated sheets and replace a common slot regardless of rarity, whereas the Checklist replaces the basic land.

Regardless, the Checklist isn't going to be of any greater value than say... Zendikar Full Art lands.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    What's a checklist card?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Darmak wrote:
    What's a checklist card?

Flip Cards!

• Options
    edited September 2011
    ...have a problem with multiposting.

metaghost on
  • Options
    I guess we'll see how the distribution is once it's released. Still very much interested in the new set - I'm more about the "flavor", overall, anyways. Artwork on most of the cards looks gorgeous - if a bit traditional. I much prefer the Innistrad style to the Scars' style.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    metaghost wrote:
    Darmak wrote:
    What's a checklist card?

Flip Cards!

So the checklist card is what you use to play the flip card?

And will they still be used in the online version of the game?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    I doubt checklist will be in MTGO. there's absolutely no need for it.

I'd just expect to have basic land.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Elbasunu wrote:
    I doubt checklist will be in MTGO. there's absolutely no need for it.

I'd just expect to have basic land.

That's a good point. Without the whole "non-hidden information" thing that exists in the paper game, there isn't much point to include the Checklist card into MTGO.

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Hello all, I've recently gotten that... "itch" and rather than travel out to play I've decided to get some college buddies to play mtgo again. However, can anyone clarify for me whether commander can be played 1v1 online? I realize it is intended to be multiplayer, but is it physically possible to do otherwise? We are across several timezones so it'd help if we could at least do that until others log in or whatever.

Google has failed me on this one.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    :L double post

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    Hello all, I've recently gotten that... "itch" and rather than travel out to play I've decided to get some college buddies to play mtgo again. However, can anyone clarify for me whether commander can be played 1v1 online? I realize it is intended to be multiplayer, but is it physically possible to do otherwise? We are across several timezones so it'd help if we could at least do that until others log in or whatever.

Google has failed me on this one.

There is no true 1v1, but you can put a message in the "about" box when you create the game that says something to the effect of "looking for a third player that will drop so we can do 1v1".

It's dumb, but, well, the interface sucks.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    That's really unfortunate :L oh well. Thanks!

EDIT: It's sort of a headscratcher that commander is an option for starting a non-multiplayer game, unless people really enjoy playing commander without...well you know the commander.

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    Last week I went a little crazy and bought a M12 Fat Pack (80 land, 9 boosters) and 5 M12 boosters. I haven't played Magic since 8th grade which was 15 years ago. Soooo I'm looking at these discussions online about paper and MTGO and I feel way out of my league. I mean I can sort of play the game, but I can't follow the lingo at all. What's a good resource for newbies to learn about this stuff?

And I say that I can 'sort of' play the game because I know how to construct a legal deck and play 1v1 with a friend, but I've never been to anything like Friday Night Magic or played any online tournaments. I'm interested in these things though, so if you fine people can help me figure this stuff out I'd be grateful.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    best way to learn is just to play with others who know more than you and ask questions about everything. so go find a local store running a FNM event and play, most are very friendly to new players.

or if you feel like signing up for mtgo, costs $10, you get a few tickets and a booster out of it, and a planeswalker pack that I beg you to never ever open as the cards from it are useless and just clog up your card collection. than we can throw you a bunch of spare cards, plus theres 3 or 4 bots that give away free commons. just using the commons you can play a format called pauper, it's a great and cheap way to learn magic. mtgo is great for learning magic as you can't skip steps or triggers, or take common shortcuts. so you really learn the way everything progresses.

or the third option could be duels of the planeswalkers, $2-10 depending on if steam has a sale or not, or if you pick it up used for a console, it will give you a bit of practice on how to play but not as good as chating with someone else about magic will.

• Options
    If Iolo shows up, he will undoubtably link to the new player's guide, which I believe is in the OP as well.

• Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I paid my 9.99 for MTGO and I'm watching some tutorial videos. Is there any way to change the size of the client, or the font size or anything about it? I already figured out that turning on software rendering makes the text legible, but are there any other options or settings I need to know about?

Or better yet a whole website dedicated to this shit?

EDIT My account name is Haarvest.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    I didn't even know there were tutorial videos to watch...

But, well, you're coming to the well-known conclusion that the current MTGO client is shit-stained shit.

Fiddle around with it, ask questions, and avoid spending more money until your comfortable with how things work.