As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What do I need for a Studio PC? (for recording or electronic music)

ChrisAlgooChrisAlgoo Registered User regular
I imagine RAM is a plus. Are Intels better than AMDs? Can I just grab a computer from ibuypower?

ChrisAlgoo on

• krushkrush Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    honestly, nearly anything you buy in this day and age should be sufficient as long as you have a decent audio interface with it.

I'd prolly steer clear of the $300 Walmart machines though, but outside of that you should be pretty good.

I dabble in it myself. I loaded up some old MIDI files from about 15 years ago that I did on a hardware rig. My 3.4GHz P4 could handle 12 VSTi's before it got ugly (Korg M1 and Wavestation, FM8, multiple Image Line Sytrus instances, Novation V-synth, and a few simple romplers). Had to bump up my latency after 12.

krush on
  • ChrisAlgooChrisAlgoo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    All that on one core, huh? I guess there isn't anything to worry about.

What kind of music do you make, incidentally?

ChrisAlgoo on
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well wait a second; are you looking at a machine to RECORD the music, or PROCESS music?

I think the better question might be what the best software to use to have this happen. The hardware you use should probably be determined off of that?

Example: If you were to use Logic, that's an Apple product... so, you know, you'd have to get a Mac.

DietarySupplement on
    edited June 2010
    Well, I'm currently running Reaper, which is pretty boss especially considering its price point. I'll stick to that for recording, most likely. If I do get heavily into making the oonse oonse music, I'll probably pick up Ableton (I hear it's top-tier for that kind of thing.)

ChrisAlgoo on
    edited June 2010
    ChrisAlgoo wrote: »
    All that on one core, huh? I guess there isn't anything to worry about.

What kind of music do you make, incidentally?

I've dabbled in some of everything over the years. Hip Hop, Electro, DnB/Jungle, Dubstep, Ghettotech, Trip Hop, RnB, House, a lil "Pop" sounding stuff...

Nothing I'd ever try to get released, but it's a neat lil hobby to have.

I tried using Reaper. I didn't like the way it handled multi-timbral/output plugins like Kontakt, which is my bread-and-butter VST.

krush on
    edited June 2010
    What do you like about Kontakt?

ChrisAlgoo on
  • useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Make sure the machine has usb and fire wire and make sure it's got decent chips for each.

Do research and you will find that some mother boards and firewire audio devices don't play nice. At some point you will probably want to move up to a firewire sound device and it can come bite you in the ass if you didn't get a decent chip from the tart.

Next, get memory. What ever and how ever much it takes, that's what you want.

useless4 on
    edited June 2010
    ChrisAlgoo wrote: »
    What do you like about Kontakt?

It's just a sampler, but it's multi-out and multi-timbral, so one instance of Kontakt can handle quite a bit of a composition.

... and getting that to act right in Reaper was a royal pain in the ass. I never got it working properly... or at least in a way I'd like. In Cubase, it's too simple. Add the VST to the rack and Cubase will add the appropriate number of mixer channels for audio. Add a MIDI track and assign it to a Kontakt channel and record. Repeat ad nauseum.

krush on