As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chaos] CitOW game 18 - Rats, everywhere!

DarianDarian Yellow WizardThe PitRegistered User regular
edited July 2010 in Critical Failures
pic490400.jpg

Welcome to Chaos in the Old World, Fantasy Flight Games' boardgame take at Games Workshop's famous fantasy IP. In this game, players take the role of one of the four Ruinous Powers of the universe. Speaking of which, I believe this calls for some introductions.

TheLawinator as Khorne
Khorne loves long walks on the battlefield and nights alone with the recently deceased. He enjoys handywork, and has even so constructed a throne for himself from nothing but the skulls of the living. He's always on the lookout for new blood - in the most literal sense possible - earning him the title of "The Blood God." If Khorne were a flavor of ice cream, he would be Berserk Banana.

admanb as Nurgle
The other white meat! Or in this case, possibly white pus. Nurgle, now with 300% more pestilence! This is Great Unclean One with the new Nurgle Treatment, and you won't believe it! Have you ever been traveling around, and all of a sudden you wish you had brought your horrific ailments with you? But how are you going to fit it all in your bags? Well that's easy with the new Nurgle (or as we should say, the Old Nurgle)! Watch as it spreads the epidemic over the entire countryside as you pass. And if you order now, we'll throw in this free plaguebearer. Call now!

El Skid as Tzeentch
asplannedrd3.jpg

Mordenthral as Slaanesh
"Working for Khorne? It's ok, I guess, but I worry about my future prospects. You know how I'm probably going to die? Not enough blood left in my neck. You know how those Slaanesh dudes over there are probably going to die? Too many orgasms.
You can see my consternation." - Khorne Thrall

As the Prince of Pain and Pleasure, some might say that Slaanesh 'goes both ways.' His followers don't quite have a 'lust for battle,' but enjoy the 'corruption' of the aristocracy. He finds subtle usurping 'invigorating,' and sometimes even so much that he just has to release his 'keeper of secrets.'

----

This will be a Play-By-Post game of Chaos in the Old World.

Sign ups are being taken from the discussion/general sign up thread. Spots will be offered to the top four players on the list there.

[RULES]
[FAQ]

OP stolen shamelessly from Rend; board graphics courtesy of MrBlarney

Previous games, aka recommended reading before playing, are linked from the CF Boardgame Index

General discussion thread for Chaos in the Old World is available here

Darian on

• DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    From Rend: A QUICK TUTORIAL ON CHAOS IN THE OLD WORLD
    -The Turn Phases-

The Old World Phase
    This phase is much like the crisis phase in BSG, the infection phase in Pandemic, or the "Bad Stuff" phase in any cooperative board game. Except this game isn't so much "cooperative" as it is "petty". Each turn, events will take place in the old world, and this is when they happen.

Every turn one old world card will be drawn, and its effects will be resolved. If there are any choices to be made, the power with the least threat will make those choices. (Threat is determined by who has advanced their victory dial the farthest)

Note: There are only 7 cards in the Old World deck. If the cards have been exhausted, the game ends at the end of the turn. If nobody has achieved a victory condition, the Old World has won- and all players lose.

The Draw Phase
    During this phase, each power draws 2 cards, except Tzeentch. Tzeentch draws his hand up to 5. Also, this is when each player refreshes their Power Points to however many applicable.

The Summoning Phase
    This phase always starts with Khorne, and goes:
    Khorne
    Nurgle
    Tzeentch
    Slaanesh

Starting with Khorne, each player may either summon 1 figure or play 1 chaos card. In order to do so, you spend Power Points. The cost for figures is the circled value on your power's card. Then there are also attack and defend stats, which will be explained in further detail in The Battle Phase.

Chaos Cards each have a cost directly following their name in your Google Doc. Additionally, if the cost of your card is followed by M, that means there is a magic symbol on it. If you play that card onto a region, that region gains 1 magic symbol.

Chaos cards are played directly onto one of the nine regions. Each region only has room for 2 cards, but they are cleared at the end phase after all effects are resolved.

If a player chooses neither to summon nor play a card, he passes and his power points go to 0. He may not play again this phase.
    Additionally, if a player reaches 0 power points for ANY REASON, they may not play again this phase, EVEN IF THAT PLAYER HAS 0-cost cards or effects. Once you reach 0 power points, you are out of the turn phase, and are skipped until the next turn.

If you have no figures on the board, figures may be summoned to any region. If you have at least one figure on the board, you must summon to that region or an adjacent region. Figures may be summoned either from your reinforcements, OR from the board itself. There is no discount for summoning figures from the board, it simply allows you to move figures instead of summoning new ones if you wish. You may summon a figure from a region in order to place him in an adjacent region even if none of your other figures are adjacent to that region (ie, a single figure can "walk" across the entire map alone).

When making a play during the summoning phase, your entire post should be colored properly. All summoning phase plays should include the PP (power points) remaining, and you should fully quote the text of any Chaos cards played.

The Battle Phase
    In this phase, dice are rolled. All combat is considered simultaneous, however, hits are chosen in the Order of Play (Khorne, Nurgle, Tzeentch, Slaanesh). Each figure with at least 1 attack power rolls a number of dice equal to that attack power. Any dice of 4 or better are hits. The player then designates those hits among any enemy figures in the region.

You may not allocate more hits than necessary to kill an opponent.
    You must allocate all hits.

Any figures which are killed will die at the end of the phase. However, unless the hits which killed it happened before normal dice are rolled, they may still return fire.

The Corruption Phase
    The Corruption Phase takes place in 2 steps. Domination, and Ruination

In the Domination step, each player's domination value is calculated for each region. This value is equal to the PP cost of any chaos cards that player has played on the region, plus the number of figures (number, not attack power) that player has in the region. If this number exceeds the region's resistance (which is the number by the region's name), and that player has the highest domination score, that player dominates the region and gains Victory Points equal to the region's number.
    If two players are tied for first, or if the top player is tied with the region's resistance, no VPs are awarded. Additionally, no VPs are awarded for ruined regions.

In the Ruination step, each cultist a player has in a region adds one Corruption Counter to that region. If a region should reach 12 or more corruption counters, it then becomes ruined.
    When a region becomes ruined, it indicates that the Chaos has taken it over so completely that it is no longer even recognizable. It is now a hellish, daemonic wasteland. First, one of the 5 ruination cards is flipped (the cards go in order, so the values are the same from game to game). Each player who put a corruption counter on the region THE TURN IT WAS RUINED gains a small amount of VPs instantaneously, decided by the card. Then, the player with the most and the second most Corruption in the area gain a large lump sum of VPs as well. After the region is ruined, NO VPs will EVER come of the region again.
    If two players are tied for first, they add the first and second place values together and split them. If two players are tied for second, they split second place. If there is no second place, and only one player has counters, the second place VPs are wasted.

If, at the end of the turn, all 5 Ruination cards have been flipped, the game ends and the player with the most VPs wins the game.

The End Phase
    During the end phase:
    1. Remove Chaos Cards from the Board
    2. Hero Tokens are resolved - meaning that in any region with a hero token, the daemon with the highest threat in that region must sacrifice one figure, as the hero kills it.
    3. Resolve Old World cards - If a card on the Old World track asks for a resolution during the end phase, this is when it happens.
    4. Score Ruined Regions - this is the step when ruination is scored, as opposed to the corruption phase.
    5. Advance Threat Dials - If you have fulfilled your victory dial condition at least once, you turn your dial one click. If you have fulfilled your condition more times this turn than any other player, you turn your dial two clicks. This dial gives various rewards, including Upgrades, VPs, and control of the tokens on the board.
    6. Check for Game end
    The game end conditions are checked one at a time, in this order:

Dial Victory
    Victory Point Victory
    All 5 ruination cards drawn (most VPs wins)
    No cards in the Old World deck (All players lose)

In the case of a dial victory tie, the player with most VPs wins. If they are tied, the victory is shared.
    In the case of a VP victory tie, the player with the highest threat wins.

How do I gain victory points?
    Gain victory points in 4 ways:
    1. Dominating regions at the end of the battle phase
    2. Helping to ruin regions by placing corruption counters on them
    3. Ruining regions and having most or second most counters on the region
    4. Sometimes, by advancing your victory dial

The most reliable points come from Domination, while the quickest points come from ruining regions.

How do I advance my dial?
    KHORNE: Gain 1 advancement token for each region in which you kill an opposing player's model this turn
    NURGLE: Gain 1 advancement token each time you place 2 or more corruption counters in a populous region in a single phase
    TZEENTCH: Gain 1 advancement token for each region with 2 or more magic and/or warpstone tokens in which you placed 2 corruption counters with cultists this turn.
    SLAANESH: Gain 1 advancement token for each region with at least 1 hero or noble in which you placed 2 corruption counters with cultists this turn.

Every player with at least 1 token gains 1 click on the victory dial. Each turn the player who gained the most tokens this turn gains an additional click on the victory dial. In the case of a tie, neither player gets 2 clicks.

Useful information:
    STANDARD REGION ORDER
    1. Norsca
    2. Troll Country
    3. Kislev
    4. The Empire
    5. Bretonnia
    6. Estalia
    7. Tilea
    8. The Border Princes
    9. The Badlands

PLAYER MATS:
    Khorne
    pic545594_md.jpg
    Nurgle
    pic545599_md.jpg
    Tzeentch
    pic545604_md.jpg
    Slaanesh
    pic545592_md.jpg
    Errata: Dial advancement for two corruption, not one.

DIAL ADVANCEMENT BONUSES:
    pic544561_lg.jpg
    Khorne: 9 clicks
    Nurgle: 10 clicks
    Tzeentch: 8 clicks
    Slaanesh: 7 clicks

AVAILABLE UPGRADES:
    Khorne Upgrades:
    Upgrades:
    Power of Blood - +1 PP per turn
    Deluge of Ferocity - Draw 3 cards instead of 2 each turn
    Bloodsworn - Stats: (1/1/1)
    Bloodletters - Bloodletters strike first and inflict casualties before opponents return fire
    Bloodthirster - Counts as 3 figures for domination value

Nurgle Upgrades:
    Power of Pestilence - +1 PP per turn
    Provender of Ruin - Score 3 VP each time a region is ruined
    Lepers - A Leper's cost is 0 if placed in a region where you have no other figures. A given leper may only be summoned for free once per round.
    Plaguebearers - When an opponent kills one of your plaguebearers in battle, inflict one hit on any figure in the same region belonging to that opponent
    Great Unclean One - Immediately place two corruption tokens in a region when you summon a Great Unclean One there

Tzeentch Upgrades:
    Power of Magic - +1 PP per turn
    Deluge of Magic - Draw to 6 cards per turn instead of 5
    Acolytes - When summoned from the board instead of your stockpile, an Acolyte may bring a Warpstone token if present from its origin to its destination
    Horrors - When you summon a horror, you may place it on an empty card slot in that region. Only you may play cards to that slot while the horror remains.
    Lord of Change - A Lord of Change has 2 magic symbols.

Slaanesh Upgrades:
    Power of Pain - +1 PP per turn. If you have power of pain and power of pleasure, total +3
    Power of Pleasure - +1 PP per turn. If you have power of pain and power of pleasure, total +3
    Seductress - New stats (1/0/2)
    Daemonettes - In battle, Daemonettes can only be hit on a die result of 6
    Keeper of Secrets - At the beginning of the battle phase, choose any cultist or warrior in this region. Control it until the end of the round or until your keeper of secrets is killed, whichever comes first.

HOW TO MAKE A BATTLE ROLL:
    Delmain wrote: »
    Hey guys, helpful IC tidbit here.
    Roll Xd6.hitsopen(4,6). It'll reroll 6s and then count all the dice 4 and above and give you a convenient number of hits.

Alternatively, you can make battle rolls via orokos (thanks, Infidel!)
    Delmain wrote: »
    Use Xd6o6h4.

o is for Open, it rolls them over and over until you get a not-6. e6 just rerolls 6s once, even if another 6 comes up.

Battle dice probabilities:
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    I made a table for expected results up to 6 battle dice. Cells without values have probabilities below 0.1%. There is some rounding, so the values won't be exact, but they'll be close enough for most purposes.

ChaosInTheOldWorld_HitProbabilities.gif

Darian on
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'll give it a shot. I've read enough of these games to get a feel for them, I think.

Of course, I'm going to get curb stomped, but it'll be an enjoyable curb stomping, right?

Capfalcon on
    edited June 2010

Invites sent to:
    admanb
    El Skid
    TheLawinator
    Mordenthrall

If any of them decline, I'll keep moving down the list.

Darian on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Checking in. Slight preference for Nurgle.

admanb on
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just as planned. Preference for Tzeentch

El Skid on
  • MordenthralMordenthral Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'll up!

Nurgle is my preference (but I'd be OK with Slaanesh too.)

Mordenthral on
  • Gene ParmesanGene Parmesan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm totally Edit: Dumb

Slaanesh > Tzeentch > Khorne > Nurgle

Gene Parmesan on
    edited June 2010
    Darian wrote: »
    Sign ups are being taken from the discussion/general sign up thread. Spots will be offered to the top four players on the list there.

I realize it's new and different...

Darian on
    edited June 2010
    Hmm...So how long does the law have before he gets booted for the next one in line? :P

El Skid on
    edited June 2010
    I gave him until tomorrow morning. EDT.

Darian on
    edited June 2010
    Guess that makes it party time tonight.

Mordenthral on
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well well well! Seems we have another game here, sorry for the slightly delayed response. I'm down. Seems everyone else has a preference for another god so I don't mind sticking with Khorne.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    edited June 2010
    Time for selections; RNG says you select in this order:

Admanb as Nurgle
    El Skid as Tzeentch
    Mordenthrall as Slaanesh
    TheLawinator as Khorne

I'll get the board set up and draw some Old World cards soonish, along with sending out your player-doc invites. Game should be going by early evening (entertaining my nephew this afternoon).

Darian on
    edited June 2010
    Maybe he would find watching you set up a game of Pbf CitOW to be entertaining..
    Sending you my email info

Mordenthral on
    edited June 2010
    Look! It's a board! Initial draw of three cards should also be in your docs; let me know if there are any problems.

citowg18r0.gif

Darian on
    edited June 2010
    Maybe he would find watching you set up a game of Pbf CitOW to be entertaining..

The fact that you wrote that in the Slaanesh color is disturbing as shit.

admanb on
    edited June 2010
    admanb wrote: »

lol I have no clue what you could be visualizing at this point.

Mordenthral on
    edited June 2010
    I'm very deliberately avoiding visualizing anything.

admanb on
    edited June 2010

D:

Darian on
    edited June 2010
    I'm very deliberately avoiding visualizing anything.

Ah, so just a general disturbance.
    Like hearing juicy scenes from Hellraiser coming from the next room without any idea what they're watching.

Mordenthral on
    edited June 2010
    Round 1, Old World phase

Fairy tales, that's all they are, right?

Skavengers
    Place one Skaven token in each of the Badlands and the Border Princes.
    In the end phase when Old World cards are resolved, the player with the smallest Threat score places one Skaven token in any region where there is at least one Warpstone token, unless there are no Warpstone tokens in play.

Reminder: Skaven lower the resistance of a region by one, to a minimum of 0.

citowg18r10.gif

Tzeentch may choose one card to discard before drawing to five; I'll update the rest of the hands, and then Khorne is active for the first summoning phase.

Darian on
    edited June 2010
    There are enough Skaven around now, apparently- I'll Discard Meddling of the Skaven
    Meddling of the Skaven- 1 - When you play this card, choose an opponent with figures in this region. That player must discard two Chaos cards from their hand.

El Skid on
    edited June 2010
    Bloodletter to The Border Princes

5/7 PP

Let's get this started right.

TheLawinator on
    edited June 2010
    The lands of Estalia look like a delightful place for a nice plague. Let's start there.

Leper to Estalia.

5/6 PP

admanb on
    edited June 2010
    Estalia does indeed look like an intriguing place...Let's just let it sit for a bit so we can admire its beauty...

Cast Temporal Stasis in Estalia

(M) Temporal Stasis - 1 - The cost for your opponents to summon figures to this region, and play Chaos cards in this region, is increased by two.

5/6 PP

El Skid on
    edited June 2010
    It's the kind of party you always wanted to be invited to..

Field of Ecstasy - 2 - None of the figures in this region roll battle dice this round.

In The Empire. 4/6

Mordenthral on
    edited June 2010
    Round 1, Summoning phase

Skavengers (place a new Skaven with a Warpstone) is in effect

citowg18r11.gif

Khorne (5/7) begins by deploying a bloodletter in the Border Princes
    Nurgle (5/6) keeps away with a leper in Estalia
    Tzeentch (5/6) drops a Temporal Stasis around Estalia (+2 PP for others to act)
    Slaanesh (4/6) prepares of Field of Ecstasy in the Empire (no battle dice from figures)

Darian on
    edited June 2010
    Cultist to Bretonnia

4/7 PP

TheLawinator on
    edited June 2010
    Leper to Bretonnia.

4/6 PP

admanb on
    edited June 2010
    I'm afraid I can't let you have ALL the fun, Brother/Sister.

Cast Changer of Ways in the Empire

(M) Changer of Ways - 0 - The text effects of other Chaos cards in this region are canceled

5/6 PP

El Skid on
    edited June 2010
    Better to see it used now before I've truly committed myself, but it's interesting to see that you are already striving to burn bridges, my dear.

Seductress to Norsca. 3/6

Mordenthral on
    edited June 2010
    I'm certainly not looking to burn your bridges...Just giving Khorne a shot at stopping anything you might do in the Empire...just as a fair sportsmanship thing.

Also, this has nothing to do with my own nefarious plans.

El Skid on
    edited June 2010
    Khorne is up!

El Skid on
    edited June 2010
    El Skid wrote: »
    Khorne is up!

If that were true, he'd post his orders. Most likely he's down and out. You know what a big party night Wednesday is.

Mordenthral on
    edited June 2010
    Round 1, Summoning phase

Skavengers (place a new Skaven with a Warpstone) is in effect

citowg18r12.gif

Khorne (5/7) begins by deploying a bloodletter in the Border Princes
    Nurgle (5/6) keeps away with a leper in Estalia
    Tzeentch (5/6) drops a Temporal Stasis around Estalia (+2 PP for others to act)
    Slaanesh (4/6) prepares of Field of Ecstasy in the Empire (no battle dice from figures)

Khorne (4/7) sends a bloodsworn to Bretonnia
    Nurgle (4/6) has time for a leper in Bretonnia
    Tzeentch (5/6) waves away the spell in the Empire with the Changer of Ways (other slot canceled)
    Slaanesh (3/6) brings a seductress to Norsca

Darian on
    edited June 2010
    Khorne is up!

If that were true, he'd post his orders. Most likely he's down and out. You know what a big party night Wednesday is.

You laugh, but Wednesday IS a big party night. If you're cool.

But you wouldn't know.

Bloodletter to Bretonnia

2/7 PP

Dude gotta get a dial tick somehow.

TheLawinator on
    edited June 2010
    Khorne is up!

But you wouldn't know.
    You know what a big party night Wednesday is.

The proof.

Mordenthral on
    edited June 2010
    Khorne is up!

But you wouldn't know.
    You know what a big party night Wednesday is.

The proof.

You win this round, but only because it is before noon and I should be asleep!

TheLawinator on
    edited June 2010
    You win this round, but only because it is before noon and I should be asleep!

Please, don't remind me...

Leper to Bretonnia.

3/6 PP

admanb on
    edited June 2010
    All is going according to plan...

Cast Drain power in Bretonnia

Drain Power - 0 - When you play this card, you gain one power point. Each other player with at least one Cultist in this region loses one power point.

6/6 PP

1/7 PP
    2/6 PP

El Skid on