Adventure [Chat]

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Elendil wrote: »
    how did she block a lightsaber with her hand

you can't do that

that's cheating

Well. She pretty much was a deus ex machina.

There's a few tropes in that cinematic that I hate:

1) The bad guy keeps the defeated good guy alive long enough to show off.
    2) The good guy, of course, survives and beats the bad guy at the end which means the bad guy could have prevented it.
    3) Robot Jedi Bitch shows up JUST IN THE NICK OF TIME to save the day. Where the fuck was she for the first 2-3 minutes of that battle, huh? Powdering her nose? Tying up those braids?
    4) Blocking a fucking lightsaber WITH HER HAND. You don't get more deus ex machina than that.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Chanus wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    I don't have a phone at all.

what the hell?

He's not old enough.

The normal age for kids to get phones here is 8/9.

Tav on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    James wrote: »
    Daxon wrote: »
    I wish they weren't making a jedi MMO. It'd be great if it was another KOTOR like game, like super-great.

It would be pretty awesome to get a second KOTOR game after all this time.

You're implying that the incompleteness of Kotor 2 made it not a proper game? Read the SA forum let's play, it definitely fills in all the blanks and is totally sweet.

I mean, it's better than playing the actual game which was already pretty awesome.

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    how did she block a lightsaber with her hand

you can't do that

that's cheating

Magic force shield?

cheating

if you can block a lightsaber with the force what is even the point of lightsabers

luke and vader all fightin' in cloud city and vader all goes for the hand and it bounces off and luke's all lol nice try dad

lol

Drez on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

what the hell?

He's not old enough.

Phones are not as popular in the states as they are in Europe from what I gather.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I don't get the Old Republic video. I thought the game was set even before the prequels? What are clones doing there?

They're soldiers, not clones.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

what the hell?
    nerd can only be reached via carrier pigeon

Or by smoke signals. Made by burning carrier pigeons.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2010

what the hell?

He's not old enough.

8/9? Of a year? That's a little nutty. I would wait until they are at least 4 or 5. But not even a year old? Hells no.

Drez on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Will's new rule in Awesome Posts is stupid. Where is he so I can tell him this.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Drez wrote: »

what the hell?

He's not old enough.

8/9? Of a year? That's a little nutty. I would wait until they are at least 4 or 5. But not even a year old? Hells no.

How do they even hold it with those tiny little nub hands?

Baby blue tooth?

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Also, I like how Anarchy Online started off with a "four year goal" which was going to have a very tightly-guided story by Funcom and it's now entering its ninth year of existence with very little story, but free to play.

Drez on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

It's totally because people didn't think the post of his that jeepguy reported was awesome.

Chanus on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited June 2010
    Man, Will, nothing is made for you. The only thing made for you is your condo, your alcohol and your Apple products. Everything else eludes you. Android devices need to be rooted just like iPhone devices need to be jailbroken. Those phone nerds root their phone because they're phone nerds! If Cat doesn't want an iPhone then she needs to get an Android device. I don't know what carriers are in Australia though or what they have. The Incredible is a good device.

Well that is why I asked her what she was looking for in a phone! I don't know if she wants video and Internet and whatnot or just an updated successor to her old sony eriksson.

And I am just relating my experiences with the people I know who have android phones: they are the same people who have Linux installs on their PCs, and seem to treat their phones in roughly the same way. And the phones work great for them, but they are definitely more of a hobby that i am looking to undertake.

I think the incredible is a nice looking device. Definitely the best form factor of any of the android phones i've seen.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Cellphones are now being implanted into pregnant mothers so the fetuses can tweet about the developement process and the shock of birth.

it's a new era.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Oh hey there's Will.

Will, your new rule in Awesome Posts is stupid and I don't very much care for it!

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The Phenom II x6's aren't nearly as powerful as as the i7 920 :(

I was really hoping for a decent budget gaming system built around them :(

Tav on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

let him know in awesome posts

preferably by pointing out that his reported post is terrible and that [chat] should stop reporting

Elendil on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I don't get the Old Republic video. I thought the game was set even before the prequels? What are clones doing there?

The guy without the helmet looks exactly like Jango Fett.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

what the hell?

He's not old enough.

Phones are not as popular in the states as they are in Europe from what I gather.

In Japan, some people give them to babies. There's a 100-day-old celebration that's a bit like a christening, and it's quite common nowadays to give a mobile to your spawn.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Have you guys heard about:

Kabul Dreams

Afghanistan's premiere post-Taliban rock band!

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I agree with it fully.

The voting system is there so you can register your disapproval for certain threads.

And if it does get out of hand without the spectral fear of belittlement hanging over everyone's head, Will/Tube can just yank the rule and return the subforum to its original dog-eat-dog nature.

But I don't see anything wrong with telling people to use the system ALREADY IN PLACE to express pleasure or displeasure at a thread. I mean that's what voting is for. A lot of people like to clique up in that forum and basically start little mini forum wars.

Drez on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

or does Jango Fett look exactly like the guy without the helmet?

Elendil on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Man, I guess none of the girls I messages on okcupid want to see exploitation films this week. You are disappointing me, Internet!

Course, I Knew all along that I'd probably need to take a better profile picture, so I can't say I'm surprised by the results.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

or does Jango Fett look exactly like the guy without the helmet?

It's Jango Fett's great-great-great-great grandfather!

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I agree with it fully.

The voting system is there so you can register your disapproval for certain threads.

And if it does get out of hand without the spectral fear of belittlement hanging over everyone's heads, Will/Tube can just yank the rule and return the subforum to its original dog-eat-dog nature.

But I don't see anything wrong with telling people to use the system ALREADY IN PLACE to express pleasure or displeasure at a thread. I mean that's what voting is for. A lot of people like to clique up in that forum and basically start little mini forum wars.

Yes, comrade. No non-favorable comments at all!

Chanus on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited June 2010

I am right here.

Why don't you go post something critical in the awesome posts forum? You know kick the wheels and give the new rules a spin.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I agree with it fully.

And if it does get out of hand without the spectral fear of belittlement, Will/Tube can just yank the rule and return the subforum to its original dog-eat-dog nature.

Then remove the ability to reply in that subforum. I understand not wanting posts like "Oh, this is from D&D, it's not funny" or "This is from SE++, it must be about cocks." as a reason for a negative, but the way Will wrote his rule it's like you can't even say "This sucks. It's not funny." It's a complete castration of voicing a negative opinion. If you want to rely only on the voting system, then get rid of the reply function.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

This video makes it pretty clear that the game takes place in the early days of the Empire. So, after the prequels.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    i would just like to let everyone know

it is 9 am

and it is 86 degrees Fahrenheit and climbing with a heat index of 100 degrees

Arch on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Arch wrote: »

it is 9 am

Welcome to America's armpit!

Chanus on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    James wrote: »
    I wish they weren't making a jedi MMO. It'd be great if it was another KOTOR like game, like super-great.

It would be pretty awesome to get a second KOTOR game after all this time.

You're implying that the incompleteness of Kotor 2 made it not a proper game? Read the SA forum let's play, it definitely fills in all the blanks and is totally sweet.

I mean, it's better than playing the actual game which was already pretty awesome.

I enjoyed KOTOR 2. I'm just making a joke :P

James on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'm going to my insurance place today to get my car insurance.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It was a cool video, but so was the last one. Neither is cool enough to make me want another Star Wars MMO

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited June 2010

it is 9 am

it is 68.5 inside the airconditioning here.

mmmm

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Well, the first one was a massive turd... so it's kinda hard to be excited.

That and Star Wars has sucked since about 1983.

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Richy wrote: »

This video makes it pretty clear that the game takes place in the early days of the Empire. So, after the prequels.

That doesn't make any sense because The Old Republic takes place 3,500 years before the films. The Empire refers to the recently emerged Sith Empire during a time when the Sith were more numerous and active.

I guess the uniforms and the likeness to Fett are coincidence or maybe clones have been done before. The GT trailer description is similarly confused, calling them clones as well.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    It was a cool video, but so was the last one. Neither is cool enough to make me want another Star Wars MMO

what do you mean another?

galaxies wasn't even a game so its hard to count it as an MMO.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

it is 9 am

it is 68.5 inside the airconditioning here.

mmmm

why the fuck do you think i am inside right now?

sweet sweet air conditioned labs

Arch on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Well, the first one was a massive turd... so it's kinda hard to be excited.

That and Star Wars has sucked since about 1983.

What?

1983?

Excuse me fine sir, but now you've insulted my honor.

duel-7.jpg

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I agree with it fully.

And if it does get out of hand without the spectral fear of belittlement hanging over everyone's heads, Will/Tube can just yank the rule and return the subforum to its original dog-eat-dog nature.

Yes, comrade. No non-favorable comments at all!

He didn't put a ban on non-favorable comments. He specifically singled out "dogpiling," which happens too often and just brings down the overall utility of the entire subforum.

I agree with it fully.

And if it does get out of hand without the spectral fear of belittlement, Will/Tube can just yank the rule and return the subforum to its original dog-eat-dog nature.

Then remove the ability to reply in that subforum. I understand not wanting posts like "Oh, this is from D&D, it's not funny" or "This is from SE++, it must be about cocks." as a reason for a negative, but the way Will wrote his rule it's like you can't even say "This sucks. It's not funny." It's a complete castration of voicing a negative opinion. If you want to rely only on the voting system, then get rid of the reply function.

First off, this isn't a democracy, so if they want to only allow positive comments, that's really well within the rights of Penny Arcade. If I have a rule that in my house people are only allowed to smile but never frown and you feel like frowning, well feel free to go to someone else's house. Maybe that sounds retarded, but it's the nature of privately-owned property and whitespace (which this is).

Anyway, I don't agree with your interpretation of Will's post. He didn't say "you can never say anything negative ever." You're warping the post out of proportion. The fact is, reading that thread is often as galling as H&A and not because dumb threads get reported for awesome but mainly because silly geese don't have anything better to do than sit on the subforum sniping at people to make themselves feel better.

Frankly, if it's a choice between providing people an additional opportunity to troll each other, or restricting some freedom of expression, I'm in favor of the latter.

Drez on
This discussion has been closed.