Options

Adventure [Chat]

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I want this Star Wars MMO because I don't learn my lesson after playing every single MMO ever made.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited June 2010
    Drez wrote: »
    Will's new rule in Awesome Posts is stupid. Where is he so I can tell him this.

I agree with it fully.

The voting system is there so you can register your disapproval for certain threads.

And if it does get out of hand without the spectral fear of belittlement, Will/Tube can just yank the rule and return the subforum to its original dog-eat-dog nature.

But I don't see anything wrong with telling people to use the system ALREADY IN PLACE to express pleasure or displeasure at a thread. I mean that's what voting is for. A lot of people like to clique up in that forum and basically start little mini forum wars.

Then remove the ability to reply in that subforum. I understand not wanting posts like "Oh, this is from D&D, it's not funny" or "This is from SE++, it must be about cocks." as a reason for a negative, but the way Will wrote his rule it's like you can't even say "This sucks. It's not funny." It's a complete castration of voicing a negative opinion. If you want to rely only on the voting system, then get rid of the reply function.

I can't change the functionality ofmthe sub forum

And I want to leave the option of talking about a post in a fun manner.

But I also don't want hypercritical or cliquey assholes to shit up that sub forum and make people reluctant to share things they think are funny or cute.

I don't really give a shit about your sense of entitlement to shoot your mouth off in a negative way in every available venue.

So that's the rule. If you don't like it, there's always 4chan

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    i would just like to let everyone know

it is 9 am

and it is 86 degrees Fahrenheit and climbing with a heat index of 100 degrees

it is 68.5 inside the airconditioning here.

mmmm

why the fuck do you think i am inside right now?

sweet sweet air conditioned labs

I am not laughing at your misfortune.

NOT laughing.
    :lol:

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've only reported one post for awesome

it was the only awesome post I've ever seen

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Also dudes they said that you get your own spaceship in The Old Republic! To explore the galaxy!

LET'S EXPLORE THE GALAXY DUDES.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I should buy Crysis, right?

Tav on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Chanus wrote: »
    Well, the first one was a massive turd... so it's kinda hard to be excited.

That and Star Wars has sucked since about 1983.

The movies were never good. The world they created was pretty awesome and the consequent KOTOR games were pretty rad but the non-Bioware created stuff is pretty much just turd.

Daxon on
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    How about you can say the post is not funny or shitty, but you can't direct the negative feedback at the person who posted it or reported it. I mean I understand not wanting a bunch of people jumping all over anyone who reports something, but they should be able to discuss the actual content.

Smurph on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Tav wrote: »

only if it costs 20 bucks or less.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »

only if it costs 20 bucks or less.

10 euro bucks on Steam.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Also dudes they said that you get your own spaceship in The Old Republic! To explore the galaxy!

LET'S EXPLORE THE GALAXY DUDES.
    it's Bioware

it's going to be barren planets with the same three pre-fab bunkers

Elendil on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Daxon wrote: »

The movies were never good. The world they created was pretty awesome and the consequent KOTOR games were pretty rad but the non-Bioware created stuff is pretty much just turd.

Lord of the Rings sucked too.

People are too nostalgic about that kind of early fiction.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Richy wrote: »
    I'm going to my insurance place today to get my car insurance.

My condolences.

James on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

What?

1983?

Excuse me fine sir, but now you've insulted my honor.

duel-7.jpg

I accept!

gauntlet1.jpg

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »

I agree with it fully.

The voting system is there so you can register your disapproval for certain threads.

And if it does get out of hand without the spectral fear of belittlement, Will/Tube can just yank the rule and return the subforum to its original dog-eat-dog nature.

But I don't see anything wrong with telling people to use the system ALREADY IN PLACE to express pleasure or displeasure at a thread. I mean that's what voting is for. A lot of people like to clique up in that forum and basically start little mini forum wars.

Then remove the ability to reply in that subforum. I understand not wanting posts like "Oh, this is from D&D, it's not funny" or "This is from SE++, it must be about cocks." as a reason for a negative, but the way Will wrote his rule it's like you can't even say "This sucks. It's not funny." It's a complete castration of voicing a negative opinion. If you want to rely only on the voting system, then get rid of the reply function.

But I also don't want hypercritical or cliquey assholes to shit up that sub forum and make people reluctant to share things they think are funny or cute.

I don't really give a shit about your sense of entitlement to shoot your mouth off in a negative way in every available venue.

There's already a rule for this, that's being enforced. I've seen people get infracted for being a cliquey asshole. What your rule does is make it so if someone does report something terrible and I call them out on it being terrible (and simultaneous voting it terrible) I can be infracted for the reply. Because I voiced my opinion with words and not just a star click. So then what's the point of having a reply function? Talk with Tube and Alpha and have it removed. If we can't use our words to express our opinion, don't give us the ability to.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    and then D&D [chat] was the awesome forum mods

Arch on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

What?

1983?

Excuse me fine sir, but now you've insulted my honor.

duel-7.jpg

I accept!

gauntlet1.jpg

I'm pretty sure this was a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I agree with it fully.

There's already a rule for this, that's being enforced. I've seen people get infracted for being a cliquey asshole. What your rule does is make it so if someone does report something terrible and I call them out on it being terrible (and simultaneous voting it terrible) I can be infracted for the reply. Because I voiced my opinion with words and not just a star click. So then what's the point of having a reply function? Talk with Tube and Alpha and have it removed. If we can't use our words to express our opinion, don't give us the ability to.

Justin, you're also overstating the kind of criticism that gets expressed on the Awesome Posts forum. It's not well thought out deconstructions of why the post in question isn't awesome. By and large the negative criticism is something like "you suck" or "someone should take away <Soandso>'s report button" or "christ, really?" or "this is bad and you should feel bad." It's the same stock "kneejerk" comments (Will's word) and I'm personally sick of them. Those inane comments are no different from casting a 1- or 2-star vote.

I doubt that an actual well-thought out criticism would be infracted.

I mean, are you going to tell me that hundreds of "this is bad and you should feel bad"-type comments actually add anything to the subforum except fuckmuppetry? Because I don't. I think they are obnoxious.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    poshniallo wrote: »

The books are pretty crap, but the movies are fairly epically awesome. I'm not gonna watch them ever again though, burnt out on it.

Daxon on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Elendil wrote: »

it was by me right?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Everyone in this thread is bad and should feel bad.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited June 2010
    Smurph wrote: »
    How about you can say the post is not funny or shitty, but you can't direct the negative feedback at the person who posted it or reported it. I mean I understand not wanting a bunch of people jumping all over anyone who reports something, but they should be able to discuss the actual content.

What is even the point of that?

If you don't think it's awesome then just downvote it and move on.

We don't really need a class of regular critics in that forum. That is not the point of that forum. And the people who considered themselves as such were becoming problematic.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010

The books are pretty crap, but the movies are fairly epically awesome. I'm not gonna watch them ever again though, burnt out on it.

This entire quote tree is wrong.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    Best AmericaBest America __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    I want this Star Wars MMO because I don't learn my lesson after playing every single MMO ever made.
    ^^ this ^^

though there's something to be said, too, for the first experience you have with even the worst MMO. Getting your hands on new environments, new mechanics, and new toys is always fun for a little bit even if the game itself is terrible.

The exception to this is Vanguard, though. :x

Best America on
    right you got it
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Justin, you're also overstating the kind of criticism that gets expressed on the Awesome Posts forum. It's not well thought out deconstructions of why the post in question isn't awesome. By and large the negative criticism is something like "you suck" or "someone should take away <Soandso>'s report button" or "christ, really?" or "this is bad and you should feel bad." It's the same stock "kneejerk" comments (Will's word) and I'm personally sick of them. Those inane comments are no different from casting a 1- or 2-star vote.

I mean, are you going to tell me that hundreds of "this is bad and you should feel bad"-type comments actually add anything to the subforum except fuckmuppetry? Because I don't. I think they are obnoxious.

Those kinds of comments get made all over these boards. Why should Awesome Posts be treated with kid gloves?

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Elendil wrote: »

it was by me right?
    it was by Gim

sigh

Elendil on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

LOTR was so cliched too.

Ooh Elves don't get on with Dwarves! How original!

Ooh a big dungeon! Is there a dragon?

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

We don't really need a class of regular critics in that forum. That is not the point of that forum. And the people who considered themselves as such were becoming problematic.

I think sometimes it helps if the replies point out that the post needs context.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Then just get rid of the fucking sub-forum. Jesus christ. Enough.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I agree with you fully and I think the post was a great idea. It's so goddamned annoying to see people posting the same pointlessly negative things in every thread.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

This entire quote tree is wrong.

Star Wars and LOTR are both awesome.

James on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    All eight of the classes have been confirmed: the Bounty Hunter,[10] Sith Warrior,[11] Imperial Agent[12], and Sith Inquisitor[13] for the Sith Empire; and the Trooper,[14] Smuggler,[15] Jedi Knight,[16] and Jedi Consular[17] for the Galactic Republic.
    FUCK the republic sounds lame

Empire 4ever

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

LOTR was so cliched too.

Is this a joke.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Then just get rid of the fucking sub-forum. Jesus christ. Enough.
    I agree with justin

oh my

Elendil on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    let's go on a real adventure!

adventure_atari_260015.png

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

LOTR was so cliched too.

I can't tell if you're making a joke or not.

James on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    not about the negative comments thing I don't give a fuck about that

just burn that forum to the ground

fuck it

FUCK IT

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

LOTR was so cliched too.

Now I'm confused. You're being sarcastic right?

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Those kinds of comments get made all over these boards. Why should Awesome Posts be treated with kid gloves?

Because it's a place meant for people to read awesome posts. Jesus fucking Christ.

What the fuck is so valuable about letting people post inane horseshit? I'm as much in favor of freedom of speech as the next guy, but in this case, fuck freedom of speech. Sometimes it's okay to try and preserve some modicum of positivity in a particular location without actually banning ALL speech in that location.

Like you said, you get to be a dick everywhere else. Why is it necessary for the mods and admins to allow people to be dicks everywhere?

Drez on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited June 2010
    I approve of harsh rules on this forum. I have no real preference as to what those rules are, as long as they're harsh. Nerds need to be beaten regularly to be kept in line.

Bogart on
This discussion has been closed.