Options

Adventure [Chat]

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    Despite the fact that the books have large swaths of nothing more than walking through forests and eating mud, which I personally find a bit dry, I would never say the books weren't well written. They just have parts I don't care for so much.

Whew, we arrived at Rivendell! We really need to hurry and get this ring destroyed! Let's spend the next 87 pages debating how to go get it destroyed!

Yeah I mean I'm a minimalist when it comes to writing. Get to the fucking point already. But I would never say that The Lord of the Rings isn't well written. I prefer a more condensed style, and I'll admit my mind started to drift multiple times throughout the book, but it's still a competent novel and written much better than a lot of the tripe we have.

But personally I prefer something like Neuromancer, which is amazing in how concise it is while still building its world for the reader with panache.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Tav wrote: »
    LotR, much like evolution, is a lot more interesting if you look at it backwards.

i like this post a lot for many reasons

it is a good post

Arch on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I like how my disdain for post-Empire Star Wars started a discussion about how much Tolkein sucks.

I choose to believe it's because I have defiled the sacred temple of Star Wars and the only response was to divert the attack upon another unsuspecting bastion of nerddom.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I can't think of many books I find genuinely boring

I'm either very lucky or have terrible taste

Elendil on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Justin, you're also overstating the kind of criticism that gets expressed on the Awesome Posts forum. It's not well thought out deconstructions of why the post in question isn't awesome. By and large the negative criticism is something like "you suck" or "someone should take away <Soandso>'s report button" or "christ, really?" or "this is bad and you should feel bad." It's the same stock "kneejerk" comments (Will's word) and I'm personally sick of them. Those inane comments are no different from casting a 1- or 2-star vote.

I doubt that an actual well-thought out criticism would be infracted.

I mean, are you going to tell me that hundreds of "this is bad and you should feel bad"-type comments actually add anything to the subforum except fuckmuppetry? Because I don't. I think they are obnoxious.

Those kinds of comments get made all over these boards. Why should Awesome Posts be treated with kid gloves?

Because it's a place meant for people to read awesome posts. Jesus fucking Christ.

What the fuck is so valuable about letting people post inane horseshit? I'm as much in favor of freedom of speech as the next guy, but in this case, fuck freedom of speech. Sometimes it's okay to try and preserve some modicum of positivity in a particular location without actually banning ALL speech in that location.

Like you said, you get to be a dick everywhere else. Why is it necessary for the mods and admins to allow people to be dicks everywhere?

No you're not. Not nearly as much as I am.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited June 2010
    I did not enjoy reading the lord of the rings. It read like something by james fennemore Cooper and also had too many lame parts (Tom bombadil especially o god)

That said, they are enduring and more or less created an entire genre of literature.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Elendil wrote: »

Or you're inhumanely patient.

Daxon on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Daxon wrote: »
    A good writer writes well and has an interesting story with appropriate pacing and tension.

Tolkien succeeds at "writing well" and possibly "interesting story" but fails the latter, probably more vital components of writing.

I hear twilight and harry potter are really well paced....

since they succeeded in the most vital component, they must be superior stories.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Can we stop time for about a week, please? I got some work to do and not enough time. :(

Aldo on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Justin wants free speech everywhere! When he berates people in a restaurant he is mad when he is thrown out!

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Elendil wrote: »

Or you're inhumanely patient.

maybe that too

I read a fair amount of experimental literature

Elendil on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think I may like Children of Hurin more than I like Lord of the Rings.

Though I would say it is not written as well as Lord of the Rings.

James on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Despite the fact that the books have large swaths of nothing more than walking through forests and eating mud, which I personally find a bit dry, I would never say the books weren't well written. They just have parts I don't care for so much.

Whew, we arrived at Rivendell! We really need to hurry and get this ring destroyed! Let's spend the next 87 pages debating how to go get it destroyed!

Yeah I mean I'm a minimalist when it comes to writing. Get to the fucking point already. But I would never say that The Lord of the Rings isn't well written. I prefer a more condensed style, and I'll admit my mind started to drift multiple times throughout the book, but it's still a competent novel and written much better than a lot of the tripe we have.

But personally I prefer something like Neuromancer, which is amazing in how concise it is while still building its world for the reader with panache.
    In that case you'll like the description of LotR in the Silmarillion. It's like 1 line long.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Justin wants free speech everywhere! When he berates people in a restaurant he is mad when he is thrown out!

I've never actually been thrown out of anywhere.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Shaw, Nabokov and Burgess were all linguists and they made pretty great authors.

I think that Russell was as well.

Nabokov is who I thought of. Invitation to a Beheading, specifically, which spends more time detailing the situation Cinncinatus is in than there is actual plot.

Sheep on
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I did not enjoy reading the lord of the rings. It read like something by james fennemore Cooper and also had too many lame parts (Tom bombadil especially o god)

That said, they are enduring and more or less created an entire genre of literature.

I like LotR, but yes, the entire section with Tom bombadil is just awful.

I skip it every goddamn time.

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    A good writer writes well and has an interesting story with appropriate pacing and tension.

Tolkien succeeds at "writing well" and possibly "interesting story" but fails the latter, probably more vital components of writing.

I hear twilight and harry potter are really well paced....

since they succeeded in the most vital component, they must be superior stories.

One must perhaps also consider that reading comprehension is vital to your understanding of posts. Also Harry Potter is definitely more enjoyable reading than LotR. I have not read twilight.

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    HerrCron wrote: »

TAKE THAT THE FUCK BACK RIGHT NOW

Arch on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited June 2010
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Smurph wrote: »
    How about you can say the post is not funny or shitty, but you can't direct the negative feedback at the person who posted it or reported it. I mean I understand not wanting a bunch of people jumping all over anyone who reports something, but they should be able to discuss the actual content.

What is even the point of that?

If you don't think it's awesome then just downvote it and move on.

We don't really need a class of regular critics in that forum. That is not the point of that forum. And the people who considered themselves as such were becoming problematic.

I think sometimes it helps if the replies point out that the post needs context.

I am fine with something like this.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I really like the Tom Bombadil section!

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Arch wrote: »

NEVER!

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    HI ALDO

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

You have to realise that if you're forced to skip an entire section of a book then that book obviously did not go through enough editing and revisions and good authorship to be a good book.

He is somewhat excused cause he was the first to write fantasy and so mistakes are allowed, I'm just happy authors have refined the art since.

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I recently read Robbe-Grillet's Jealousy

like a hundred pages of _J_-like description of the setting interspersed occasionally with a handful of domestic scenes that got repeated over and over

I liked it enough to buy another book by the dude

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    Shaw, Nabokov and Burgess were all linguists and they made pretty great authors.

Nabokov is who I thought of. Invitation to a Beheading, specifically, which spends more time detailing the situation Cinncinatus is in than there is actual plot.

Is that the one where he goes over the guy's name 'Krug' and deconstructs it, being a circle in russian and a backwards pickle in German etc.?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010

NEVER!

Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo! Ring a dong! hop along! fal lal the willow! Tom Bom, jolly Tom, Tom Bombadillo!!!

Arch on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    He wrote the books mostly for himself and his family

thats why editing was not a priority

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I think I'm going to report something totally terrible for awesome and see what happens.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So apparently the "Bloody Sunday" report is coming out soon. 12 years in the making and cost $400 million to investigate an incident that happened almost 40 years ago...

Craziness.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Looking forward to the North Korea game.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

NEVER!

Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo! Ring a dong! hop along! fal lal the willow! Tom Bom, jolly Tom, Tom Bombadillo!!!

GAY

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

You have to realise that if you're forced to skip an entire section of a book then that book obviously did not go through enough editing and revisions and good authorship to be a good book.

He is somewhat excused cause he was the first to write fantasy and so mistakes are allowed, I'm just happy authors have refined the art since.

you are, perhaps, the worst literature critic.

I can't even retort to something like this. I feel like simultaneously laughing and crying.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Sheep wrote: »

Is that the one where he goes over the guy's name 'Krug' and deconstructs it, being a circle in russian and a backwards pickle in German etc.?
    that sounds like Bend Sinister

that's the next on my list

actually I have Sebastian Knight here

hm

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

NEVER!

Arch, you're going on the list.

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I think I'm going to report something totally terrible for awesome and see what happens.

Reported for awesome.

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

aside from getting infracted?

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Chanus wrote: »

NEVER!

GAY

sort of?

Arch on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Reported for awesome.

LIAR!

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

NEVER!

GAY

sort of?

Yeah.

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    HI NEXXXUS

Aldo on
This discussion has been closed.