Options

Adventure [Chat]

• Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Drez wrote: »
    I would just cut down on all the traveling. Maybe add a fast travel option, ala The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion.

most of the traveling after they get to rivendel goes by fairly quick and once they add in new characters, the developement takes over as opposed to 4 sameish characters that all know one another and are scared.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Orlando Bloom should play the Riddler in the next Batman movie. That'd be pretty awesome.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Does the Old Republic trailer really have a guy exploding a grenade in his hand, only to get up with only minor scratches seconds later?

Cinders on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I would probably not like the books if I read them today

Tolkien is hung up on nature and pastoralism in way that would drive me batty now

Elendil on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Cinders wrote: »
    Does the Old Republic trailer really have a guy exploding a grenade in his hand, only to get up with only minor scratches seconds later?

Well his face is kind of totally fucked up but that grenade didn't make much sense, yeah.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think it's a flashbang and not a proper grenade.

Shoulda been a thermal detonator.

Aldo on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2010

Looked like some Jedi-Colored(tm) shield popped up in front of him as it blew.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Would Megan Fox as Catwoman cause the entire nerd population to jizz themself at first sight of her in the skintight suit?

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    Best AmericaBest America __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    I would just cut down on all the traveling. Maybe add a fast travel option, ala The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion.

most of the traveling after they get to rivendel goes by fairly quick and once they add in new characters, the developement takes over as opposed to 4 sameish characters that all know one another and are scared.
    Yeah, the method of storytelling changes entirely after Rivendell. The first book is full of asides and parentheticals, tongue-in-cheek comments and omniscient quips and a lot more nuance in terms of actual character actions. We not only see the terrain the three hobbits are camping on while traversing the Shire, we get to hear their irrelevant chatter and see things like Frodo waking up before the others and literally rolling Pippin out of his blankets (to Pippin's dismay, who then teasingly wakes Sam).

Criticism about the pacing of the Lord of the Rings as a monolithic work, or even against the style in general, very rarely works because there's very few things that are consistent between all six books. I'd say the most principal of those is the focus on descriptions of surroundings, and the methods of description ... and yeah, those are legitimately boring to some people, and I consider it a fair criticism.

Best America on
    right you got it
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Also, if the fighting in the game (a MMO, for heaven's sake!) is anything like the fighting in the trailers I will be amazed.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »

Well his face is kind of totally fucked up but that grenade didn't make much sense, yeah.

space grenades are apparently shittier than our WW1 tech apparently

plus that chick blocked a lightsaber with her hand what the fuck

Elendil on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2010
    Elendil wrote: »

Tolkien is hung up on nature and pastoralism in way that would drive me batty now

That's a big part of the plot, isn't it? Saruman wants progress and industry! Can't have that!

Echo on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I would just be like "Frodo touched a red gem embedded into a tree and suddenly found himself at the Spoiler of Spoilertown."

You could cut out like 350 pages right there.

Also, while I'm insulting popular fantasy novels, I'm willing to bet the entirety of A Wheel of Time could be thrown into a single paperback novel if you cut out all the non-essential shit. Maybe it could even fit into a pamphlet.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

flash grenade, probably

or something like that

both of them just get scratches and burns

EDIT: Aldo: Hah! Y'know, there's gameplay videos.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Btw, where the hell has Orlando Bloom been since the third Pirates of the Carribbean movie? He looked like his career was going to rocket into orbit after being in both POTC and LOTR and it just kinda....where'd he go?!

probably bathing in naked ladies and cash

James on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'm pretty sure I've seen people blocking lightsabers with their hands before but I don't remember where.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Aldo wrote: »
    Also, if the fighting in the game (a MMO, for heaven's sake!) is anything like the fighting in the trailers I will be amazed.

I feel like the point of a trailer is to distract people from contemplating the probable true nature of the gameplay.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited June 2010

He's also hung up on the divine right and [divine] Dominion, which shines through if you've read all of the companion materials and surrounding materials and all that which is obviously not a point in favor of the Lord of the Rings -- nor can it be used as a defense against criticism against it -- but it's definitely something there for the interested. Dissection of Tolkien's universe from a studied viewpoint is pretty fucking interesting, and adds a lot of undertone and nuance to the Lord of the Rings even if you sometimes have to go out on a limb to insert it yourself. It's a body of work that definitely gets more rewarding the more you dig into it, imo.

Best America on
    right you got it
  • Options
    edited June 2010

He's also hung up on the divine right and [divine] Dominion, which shines through if you've read all of the companion materials and surrounding materials and all that which is obviously not a point in favor of the Lord of the Rings -- nor can it be used as a defense against criticism against it -- but it's definitely something there for the interested. Dissection of Tolkien's universe from a studied viewpoint is pretty fucking interesting, and adds a lot of undertone and nuance to the Lord of the Rings even if you sometimes have to go out on a limb to insert it yourself. It's a body of work that definitely gets more rewarding the more you dig into it, imo.
    I read pretty much everything back in the day

Elendil on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sweet, itunes just put on a Louis Armstrong song.

Daxon on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yiss. Just got hired as a night watchman, some good summer work whilst I try to gain a proper job. Time to get paid way too much to spend my evenings playng vidja games and readng books, with the occasional break to tell some kids to shut it.

Leitner on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I would just be like "Frodo touched a red gem embedded into a tree and suddenly found himself at the Spoiler of Spoilertown."

Also, while I'm insulting popular fantasy novels, I'm willing to bet the entirety of A Wheel of Time could be thrown into a single paperback novel if you cut out all the non-essential shit. Maybe it could even fit into a pamphlet.

no disagreement on wheel of time.

Lotr just needed a better intro.

there's a reason why the first half of fellowship only takes up about 45 minutes of the movie.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Honestly I'm not sure if I would want Middle Earth to industrialize very much. It's so fucking peaceful. There are trees and the environment and air isn't fucked up and you can see the stars at night.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    John Goodman as The Penguin would be terrible

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I read pretty much everything back in the day
    I've read The Lord of the Rings 23 times and counting and I'm still finding new things in it!

I've only read the Silmarillion twice because yeah honestly beyond the conceptual lynchpins there's not a lot that fucking happens there

but I mean honestly I think I read it so much just because it honestly puts me to sleep, it's just a really relaxing book to take to bed, lazily turning pages describing which species of trees are overhanging which roads

Best America on
    right you got it
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Honestly I'm not sure if I would want Middle Earth to industrialize very much. It's so fucking peaceful. There are trees and the environment and air isn't fucked up and you can see the stars at night.
    there are no toilets

Elendil on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Man guys, gonna have a nap. Daxon tired.

Daxon on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Daxon wrote: »
    Man guys, gonna have a nap. Daxon tired.

You've been so energetic about Adventure Time I'm not surprised.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    there are no toilets

there are no toilets and everyone dies of the running shits when they hit thirty

it is a hell-hole

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    there are no toilets

Well, okay, we can invent plumbing and maybe a little electricity BUT THAT'S IT.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Would Megan Fox as Catwoman cause the entire nerd population to jizz themself at first sight of her in the skintight suit?

It would cause me to not watch that film.

James on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I feel like the point of a trailer is to distract people from contemplating the probable true nature of the gameplay.

It's like this with bloody all MMOs, it's all looking awesome and quick and wham bwam zoom fwoosh.

...And then you run into a boss mob and the boss mob has 500,000hp and you do 100 damage per second. You end up beating on a boss's toes for half an hour.

First MMO to deliver boss fights only half as interesting as Sonic the motherfucking Hedgehog is getting my love. It's not interesting to have to through the same 5 motions all the time, once you manage to understand what's happening and time your attack properly you should fucking win and get to the next phase or the next boss or whatever.

First MMO to deliver God of War or Shadow o/t Colossus boss fights is going to consume my soul.

Aldo on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    HI NEXXXUS

you guys won your game

silly Danes!

Yes we won with an extremely boring match. It was way too technical and the attempts to get a free kick every time two players came close to each other just annoys me to no end.

the dutch play boring football

as they are a boring people

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

no disagreement on wheel of time.

Lotr just needed a better intro.

there's a reason why the first half of fellowship only takes up about 45 minutes of the movie.
    The Shadow of the Past and The Council of the Elrond (each the second chapter of their respective books of the Fellowship) are the best fucking parts of the entire Lord of the Rings as far as I'm concerned, and I think that the proper way to have built the movies up would have been to give those sections their proper treatment. Condense the Shire, cut out the Old Forest, fine; get rid of the Barrow-Downs, have the Hobbits teleport to Bree, fine! I don't give a shit!

But there's literally forty-five fucking seconds between Gandalf saying, "Keep it secret; keep it safe," and reappearing on screen covered in sweat and dirt and saying, "Is it secret? Is it safe?!"

It's fucking hideous. Seventeen years of anxiety in the books is condensed into less than three minutes of screen-time in the film. Gandalf's character is never really established, nor is Frodo's, because Peter Jackson cares far too fucking much about panoramic shots of New Zealand and well-costumed extras.

Best America on
    right you got it
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    What about an MMOFPS with boss battles like Half-Life. Run around a rocket lab turning shit on so you can incinerate tentacles! That would be great.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    IrishRodentIrishRodent Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Btw, where the hell has Orlando Bloom been since the third Pirates of the Carribbean movie?

The fourth Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

IrishRodent on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    HI NEXXXUS

you guys won your game

silly Danes!

Yes we won with an extremely boring match. It was way too technical and the attempts to get a free kick every time two players came close to each other just annoys me to no end.

the dutch play boring football

as they are a boring people

Indeed.

As are the Danes, though. I mean the first half the only Dane I saw crossing the midline was Rommedahl.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    stop making Pirates movies please

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

It keeps hapening

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    it's already too late, Elendil, people will be costuming themselves as Of the Caribbean pirates for Halloween long after we're dead

it's all already fucked beyond repair

Best America on
    right you got it
This discussion has been closed.