As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let me tell you another [TOY STORY]

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Okay, so not that anyone needs another post saying "Wow that was good!" but ...

Speaking as someone who was not any of the correct ages when the first ones came out and who has no emotional connection or nostalgia for any of the characters: Wow that was good.

Barbie as unexpectedly nuanced feminist protagonist was clever and pleasing. Her blurting out an indignant observation about the nature of power and authority had me laughing.

Having only seen a few Pixar movies, I really thought they earned all the emotional moments of the movie. I can only imagine the tears/relief it would be coaxing out of me if I'd been a kid when the first or second movie came out. As a person walking in with no particular expectations, I thought it was a much kinder and more knowing movie than something like Shrek or whatever the CGI family movie competition of the moment is.

Also :^: to the return of the jedi moment. Heh.

desc on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    maaan

Lotso was an excellent name, I loved the whole situation there. Loved hearing Jeff Garland and another pixar movie, knew I heard whoopie goldberg but I need to look up who everyone else was.

when
    baby threw lotso into the garbage I thought hard of Darth Vader, don't know if that's just a coincidence, I would think so but it made me happy
    I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be a reference to that. Looked like the same Camera angle and everything.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    maaan

Lotso was an excellent name, I loved the whole situation there. Loved hearing Jeff Garland and another pixar movie, knew I heard whoopie goldberg but I need to look up who everyone else was.

when
    baby threw lotso into the garbage I thought hard of Darth Vader, don't know if that's just a coincidence, I would think so but it made me happy
    I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be a reference to that. Looked like the same Camera angle and everything.

Just like TS2 had a scene from Empire in it.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I have to say that while Day and Night was cute it just was not my favorite. It seems like all the preachyness of Wall-E (which i loved but it had a very light touch on the message), was crammed into this short. It didnt really tell a story like Cloudy Days or Presto did. It resembled to me something like the 'And now we know' portions of G. I. Joe.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    LynxLynx Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    azith28 wrote: »
    I have to say that while Day and Night was cute it just was not my favorite. It seems like all the preachyness of Wall-E (which i loved but it had a very light touch on the message), was crammed into this short. It didnt really tell a story like Cloudy Days or Presto did. It resembled to me something like the 'And now we know' portions of G. I. Joe.

I thought it was more creative than anything. The message was kind of preachy, but it was good for kids.

Lynx on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    azith28 wrote: »

the hand animated portion of it was also very low frame rate compared to the 3d. It just looked off.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    There was preachyness in Wall-E?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    There was preachyness in Wall-E?

People don't want that thur lib'ral Hollywood tellin' 'em what planets they can and can't fuck-up.

Taximes on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    WALL*E had a pretty strong message about unchecked consumerism, but it didn't beat the audience over the head with it.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    TigressTigress Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Tigress wrote: »
    The movie's gorgeous, but there's something about her face that bothers me. The eyes are too big for her head or...something, I dunno.
    screenshot20100625at125.png

I think I know why. Her eyes and kinda clueless expression reminds me of this:

http://amzel0.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/nemo-dory.jpg

Edited that into a link since Tripod is still Tripod.

And that is an eerie similarity. Although huge eyes are an animation tradition anyway.

Fixed. I moved the image to my Photobucket.
    nemo-dory.jpg

Tigress on
    Kat's Play
    On the subject of death and daemons disappearing: arrows sure are effective in Lyra's universe. Seems like if you get shot once, you're dead - no lingering deaths with your daemon huddling pitifully in your arms, just *thunk* *argh* *whoosh*. A battlefield full of the dying would just be so much more depressing when you add in wailing gerbils and dogs.
  • Options
    hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My favourite Pixar movie ever. I havent seen UP yet though.

-edit-
    Am i the only person that did not enjoy finding nemo?

hadoken on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    hadoken wrote: »

-edit-

Yes.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

-edit-

No.

fix'd

I won't go so far as to call my less-enjoyed Pixar movies (they are Finding Nemo, A Bug's Life, and Ratatouille) bad movies, but I don't dig them.

Tamin on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2010
    I think I would rate the trilogy 1 > 3 > 2. I think I like 1 the best just because everything was fresh and new at the time. 2 was enjoyable, but it seemed more like a collection of sight gags and pop-culture references with a story thrown on top of it. It seemed to be channeling Shrek at many points. I still really liked it, but it didn't have the same sense of soul as 1.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    2 fleshed out Woody's history a lot. I think to me the fact that he had to be like 70 years old means he had come to terms with being left behind by numerous " Andys" before. In a way his attitude was the most healthy of any of the villian toys: He didn't become evil he didn't resent the children, he knew what his lot in life was. Then he starts falling apart and he realizes this may be his last go around and maybe being admired forever doesn't sound to bad afterall.

It's also telling that we never got a Roundup gang Cartoon but Buzz Lightyear 's crew got an entire universe based on Zerg popping up in 2. Spacemen beat cowboys again.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Tamin wrote: »

-edit-

No.

fix'd

I won't go so far as to call my less-enjoyed Pixar movies (they are Finding Nemo, A Bug's Life, and Ratatouille) bad movies, but I don't dig them.

If you don't like Ratatouille you don't have a soul

Rent on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2010
    2 fleshed out Woody's history a lot. I think to me the fact that he had to be like 70 years old means he had come to terms with being left behind by numerous " Andys" before. In a way his attitude was the most healthy of any of the villian toys: He didn't become evil he didn't resent the children, he knew what his lot in life was. Then he starts falling apart and he realizes this may be his last go around and maybe being admired forever doesn't sound to bad afterall.

It's also telling that we never got a Roundup gang Cartoon but Buzz Lightyear 's crew got an entire universe based on Zerg popping up in 2. Spacemen beat cowboys again.

To me, it felt more like 2 fleshed out Woody's... I dunno, ancestry, or something. That Woody had no clue he was actually famous undermined the fact that he was allegedly old.

Also: 70? The show was probably from the 50s, the movie came out in 200X, so he'd be 50, tops.

Anyway, I don't want to shit on TS2, or anything, and the story wasn't really bad, especially compared to most animated films. It just seemed like the movie was mostly concerned about awesome one-liners and sight gags, while genuinely poignant moments that pushed the story forth were comparatively uncommon. It was still better than most anything put out by Pixar's competitors, and I bought the hell out of it when it came out.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »

-edit-

No.

fix'd

If you don't like Ratatouille you don't have a soul

When I saw Ratatouille for the first time, I sat in the theatre until they turned the lights back on and I still hesitated leaving. My friends had all gone. I was simply in awe. Its a strong contender for favorite Pixar movie (against Up).

Also, I don't understand people's qualms about Toy Story 2. Because to me, Toy Story 2 is basically "Toy Story But Better, Also With Jessie". Man, Jessie is an awesome character.

TDawg on
    NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Goddamn it Pixar.

Stop making me fucking cry during your fucking movies.

Seeing Pixar movies lately is like emotional catharsis.

Shit, first Up!, now this. They sure know how to pluck my emotional chords.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    They kinda overplayed the end if you ask as me. The best 'emotional' scene was the one just before, although it was pretty clear to me that
    they wouldn't just let them burn in the fire and end it there. Them being rescued by the crane was an awesome touch though.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    Mathew BurrackMathew Burrack CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    They kinda overplayed the end if you ask as me. The best 'emotional' scene was the one just before, although it was pretty clear to me that
    they wouldn't just let them burn in the fire and end it there. Them being rescued by THE CLAWWWWWW was an awesome touch though.

Fix'd that spoiler for you :)

Mathew Burrack on
    "Let's take a look at the scores! The girls are at the square root of Pi, while the boys are still at a crudely drawn picture of a duck. Clearly, it's anybody's game!"
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    they wouldn't just let them burn in the fire and end it there. Them being rescued by THE CLAWWWWWW was an awesome touch though.

Right before that part I was thinking
    "They are gonna need a Deus Ex Machina to get out of this one! There's no way they can be saved!"

Suffice to say, I was more than amused.

TDawg on
    NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    TDawg wrote: »

Right before that part I was thinking
    "They are gonna need a Deus Ex Machina to get out of this one! There's no way they can be saved!"

Suffice to say, I was more than amused.
    that dick head film reviewer at the Escapist ruined the whole surprise for me.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Since seeing the movie, I keep seeing Lotso toys in the stores and wondering why anyone would ever want to buy one.

Of course, I never thought that about my Emperor Palpatine or Darth Vader action figures, but maybe that's because Lotso makes the Galactic Empire look like the Peace Corps.

Taximes on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Taximes wrote: »
    Since seeing the movie, I keep seeing Lotso toys in the stores and wondering why anyone would ever want to buy one.

Of course, I never thought that about my Emperor Palpatine or Darth Vader action figures, but maybe that's because Lotso makes the Galactic Empire look like the Peace Corps.

Yeah it's a sort of self fulfilling prophecy.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Then maybe you weren't paying attention.

They obviously want you to buy one.
    They just don't want you to buy a second if you lose the first one. ;)

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Watched it yesterday in 3D.

Everyone should watch it in 3D.
    It's easier to hide the tears, :(:(

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    And I just saw it a second time, along with the family this time. My fearless four year old niece loved it.
    She wasn't even being bothered by the incinerator scene. I on the other hand was even more affected since I knew what to expect.

And this time i saw all the previews you guys were complaining about. My god, the Smurfs...

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Yeah it's a sort of self fulfilling prophecy.

I knew it! It's all part of Disney's plan to create an army of vicious, spurned, strawberry-scented bears.

Taximes on
  • Options
    LieberkuhnLieberkuhn __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    I resisted crying! It was hard, but I did it!
    Even when Woody threw over Daisy's name tag, and Big Baby went "ma..ma...?"

The incinerator scene was tough too. I honestly thought they were going to end the movie there, and that any second the toys were going to start reminiscing their time with Andy before they started melting. I was completely ready to start bawling when the flashbacks started.

Lieberkuhn on
    While you eat, let's have a conversation about the nature of consent.
  • Options
    Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    maaan

when

What scene was this? Now I'm all curious, haven't seen Toy Story 2 in ages

Also, whoever said they were thinking they'd need a
    deus ex machina to get out of that jam
    I was thinking the same thing. I actually chuckled when it happened

Sangheili91 on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I resisted crying! It was hard, but I did it!
    Even when Woody threw over Daisy's name tag, and Big Baby went "ma..ma...?"

The incinerator scene was tough too. I honestly thought they were going to end the movie there, and that any second the toys were going to start reminiscing their time with Andy before they started melting. I was completely ready to start bawling when the flashbacks started.
    the handholding was what almost got me. I mean really it got me as much as it could have, it just ended before there were tears.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Almost teared up twice in this, at the same places everyone is mentioning.

Great damned movie.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I think I would rate the trilogy 1 > 3 > 2. I think I like 1 the best just because everything was fresh and new at the time. 2 was enjoyable, but it seemed more like a collection of sight gags and pop-culture references with a story thrown on top of it. It seemed to be channeling Shrek at many points. I still really liked it, but it didn't have the same sense of soul as 1.

Woody was a selfish asshole through almost the entire movie. He was really a total fucking dick and that's what made the first movie so much better. The second movie's Chicken Man villain was stale and you wanted him to lose. You wanted things to work out for Woody, not for him to lose.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    maaan

when

You're going to hate yourself when I tell you.
    There's a scene near the end where they're on the top of an elevator, and the Zerg toy tells the new Buzz Lightyear toy (the one who doesn't know he's a toy yet) that he's Buzz Lightyear's father. Then the elevator goes down so we see an agonized Buzz falling down the shaft.

They might as well have a little message saying "This is an Empire Strikes Back parody" at the bottom during that scene.

EmperorSeth on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Woody was a selfish asshole through almost the entire movie. He was really a total fucking dick and that's what made the first movie so much better. The second movie's Chicken Man villain was stale and you wanted him to lose. You wanted things to work out for Woody, not for him to lose.

Actually, during the making of the first Toy Story the heads of Disney encouraged Pixar to make Woody more "edgy"... translation: more of a dick. Pixar tried doing storyboards that way before saying "fuck it, let's make the movie we want." There's a section of the Woody as dick storyboards on the latest Toy Story release, so I can say with confidence that the Woody we saw wasn't a total fucking dick. He wasn't even a slightly humping penis.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    maaan

when

Buzz Lightyear is Zerg's son.

Dammit, beaten!

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    maaan

when

You're going to hate yourself when I tell you.
    There's a scene near the end where they're on the top of an elevator, and the Zerg toy tells the new Buzz Lightyear toy (the one who doesn't know he's a toy yet) that he's Buzz Lightyear's father. Then the elevator goes down so we see an agonized Buzz falling down the shaft.

They might as well have a little message saying "This is an Empire Strikes Back parody" at the bottom during that scene.
    wasn't there also a scene later when Zerg and Buz are playing catch?

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Actually, during the making of the first Toy Story the heads of Disney encouraged Pixar to make Woody more "edgy"... translation: more of a dick. Pixar tried doing storyboards that way before saying "fuck it, let's make the movie we want." There's a section of the Woody as dick storyboards on the latest Toy Story release, so I can say with confidence that the Woody we saw wasn't a total fucking dick. He wasn't even a slightly humping penis.
    Yeah, it was pretty bad.

SpeedySwaf on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    ...yee. It's a miracle that Piaxar pulled everything off, isn't it?

EmperorSeth on