As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dead Man's Road

PonyPony Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Social Entropy++
Dead Man's Road

Introduction
What is Dead Man's Road?
Dead Man's Road is an online, forum-based strategy game based on grim survivalism in a post-zombie-apocalypse scenario. The players are part of a convoy led by a mysterious and charismatic Convoy Leader who takes them from city to city, collecting supplies and survivors. The Convoy Leader says he's got an ultimate destination in mind, but that he's holding most folk on a "need-to-know" basis as to where they are going. It's a game of trust and strategy, where small squads of brave survivalists have to take the risk of entering zombie-infested urban centers for the greater good of the convoy.

Outline of Game

Game Format
DMR is a "Progressive Strategy Game". Essentially, it's like a tabletop strategy game, but with RPG elements that carry on from scenario to scenario. The characters of Dead Man's Road continue on from game to game (assuming they survive), retaining any equipment, advancements, or abilities they may have gained in previous scenarios. To use roleplaying game terminology, each individual scenario could be thought of as an "adventure", while the convoy itself and the journey of the survivors as the "campaign".

Roleplaying Notes
While it is not necessarily a roleplaying game by some standards, DMR nonetheless contains many RPG elements. Some players may enjoy roleplaying and wish to include it as part of their gameplay. By all means, do so. Feel free to write "in-character" posts and dialogue. However, two concessions must be requested: First, a player should keep all roleplaying material formatted in italics. This allows other players to easily read your posts and know what is "flavor text" for your own enjoyment and what you are actually doing with your turn. Second, I request that people keep such "IC" writing within their normal posts-per-round. This thread will likely see a flurry of posting as it is, and while I don't want to call RP "spam", it can definitely bog things down if it's over-done. As a rule of thumb, the only thing you are doing "IC" is what you are doing in the game itself, so you often don't have time to have long, drawn out conversations or take all kinds of time genuflecting on the circumstance.

Number of Players
Theoretically, Dead Man's Road can have an unlimited number of players. For practicality reasons, however, I am currently hard-capping the game at 20 Players. If you want to play, post that you do in this thread. Players will be selected first come, first serve.

Role of the Players
You are survivalists in the convoy. You aren't just some useless schlub. You've got a skill or two that makes you damn useful in a deployment, and that's why you've chosen to go. You might not all be hardened soldiers or cocksure heroes, but you've all got something. The convoy needs you. Not everyone in the convoy is as capable as you are, and they are relying on you to get what we all need to survive. You're essential. On your shoulders rests the hopes of the whole convoy. I hope you're up to the task.

Assembling a Party
The Convoy Leader (who doesn't go on these deployments himself) believes that the safest and most efficient way to deploy into a hostile zone is to break up the outbound into a few small parties of 3-6 individuals each. As a result, you will be responsible for not just volunteering for the scenario, but finding a party to travel with. The Convoy Leader doesn't believe in sending out "lone wolves" and he doesn't think it's smart to send a large army that is difficult to co-ordinate and can't efficiently complete simultaneous goals. If you can't find a party, the Convoy Leader will find one for you, but it's always better to try to find these people yourself and make a cohesive unit. Your life will rely on these people, and their lives will rely on you, so roll with a crew you know has your back.

Character Creation
This will be handled in a subsequent post, after I know how many players we have.

Playing a Scenario

Game Time
Dead Man's Road is not a slow-paced message board RPG. It requires you actually checking the board at least once per timed round and making your turn. If you don't, then the round will move on without you and you will lose your turn. Which means you will be standing there doing nothing and might get eaten for it.

Round Length
DMR uses timed rounds, with the end of round being announced by me in Eastern Standard Time (convert it yourself, it's easy). You can take your single turn at any time during that round, and you should co-ordinate with your party members either in this thread or via PM or instant messaging (I prefer that to clogging the thread with discussion posts) so that your actions are efficient and you move as a unit. If you miss a round, then you miss a round, plain and simple. It doesn't mean you are out of the game, necessarily, but it does put you in a precarious position. Players who know they will be unable to make an announced round should post as such, either making their intent for the next round known to their party members, or trying to work with the Gamemaster to modify the time.

Game Length
The game goes on for a number of rounds determined by the Gamemaster, declared at the beginning of the scenario. After the final round has elapsed, players will have one final "run like hell" round to get to the Extraction Point. Failing to be at the Extraction Point at the end of this time means you are left behind. The convoy waits for no man.

Character Death
It may come to pass that your character dies, either during the course of the scenario or you fail to make it back to the Extraction Point in time. In any case, you aren't out of the campaign as a whole. You simply lose that character and any advancements they may have made, and you get the option to make a new one at the beginning of the next scenario.

Future Scenarios
The game will begin with one scenario initially, a simple one to introduce the players to the game and test the mechanics of the rules modifications I have made. If that scenario goes successfully, I plan to run another at a future point, and people will be able to retain their characters (if they survived), and I'll likely open up the game to more players as well.

If you want to play, simply post "I'm with the convoy!" in this very thread. Keep in mind this game takes hours and you will likely have to check in at least once every 10-20 minutes or so during that time.

Character creation is simple. You pick a class type from the class cards (found here) and then you pick a survivor type as noted below:

Smart Survivor
Brains: 4
Expertise: 1
Strength: 2
Speed: 6
Toughness: 2
Agility: 3
Bravery: 6

Expert Survivor
Brains: 1
Expertise: 4
Strength: 3
Speed: 5
Toughness: 3
Agility: 2
Bravery: 6

Strong
Brains: 2
Expertise: 3
Strength: 4
Speed: 4
Toughness: 4
Agility: 2
Bravery: 5

Fast Survivor
Brains: 3
Expertise: 2
Strength: 1
Speed: 8
Toughness: 2
Agility: 4
Bravery: 4

An explaination of the stats.
Brains: Your intelligence. Brains is used to operate items, scrounge for supplies, pick locks, repair items and create improvised weapons.
Expertise: Your raw combat ability, both in ranged and melee combat. Expertise is used to make attacks.
Strength: How many items you can carry in addition to an equipped weapon. Strength is also used to break down doors and move obstacles.
Speed: How many squares you can move in a round.
Toughness: How many Health Tokens you start a scenario with, and how many Health Tokens you can have maximum. Health Tokens are used to resist infection (if you've been bitten) or how much damage you can take from other hazards. If you have no Health Tokens, you're dead.
Agility: How many Evasion Tokens you start a scenario with, and how many Evasion Tokens you can have maximum. Evasion Tokens are used to avoid getting bitten by zombies or damaged by other hazards. If you have no Evasion Tokens, you start taking Health damage.
Bravery: How many Action Tokens you start each round with. Action Tokens are used for practically everything, from attacks to utilizing many of the class talents.

Balanced Characters
Make sure to balance your choices. For example, it might seem really tempting to make your Scout into a Fast Survivor, so that you can move your ass across the entire map in a single move, but keep in mind that 1. Your team-mates are probably not as fast as you, leaving you all alone and 2. You can't carry shit and you aren't very good in a fight. Considering you're a guy who starts with a gun, that's not good. Pick your stats in co-ordination with your team-mates, so that if the Medic takes Smart Survivor and can't really do fuck all in a fight, there are people there to protect him.

Pony on

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm with the convoy!

Straightzi on
  • Options
    RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm with the damn convoy

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    KongKong Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm with the convoy!

Kong on
    Targets eliminated: zilch
  • Options
    CG FaggotryCG Faggotry BristolRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm not in the convoy!

Edit: maybe next time.

CG Faggotry on
    bulbesssigfinal.jpg
  • Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    edited January 2007
    I'm in the next installment!

PS. This is an ON-TOPIC Game On thread. Repeated offences of dickery will lead to jailings or bannings.

Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    Threadbare SockThreadbare Sock regular
    edited January 2007
    [Bogey edit - No.]

Threadbare Sock on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    FOOT SWEATERS
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm with the convoy!

of space helicopters

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm with the convoy!

Marathon on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    convoy2.jpg

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    EtchEtch Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Fuck this sounds cool, unfortunately, I just got steel battalion, and that is what shall be played. However, I will be watching the first game a bit to see how it all works, and maybe jump in on a different scenario or something.

Etch on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Guys, if you could avoid putting random pictures and bullshit in this thread, I'd appreciate it.

It's a game on thread, guys. I'd rather not have to cut through ten pages of siamese twin pictures and shit to actually see someone's turn.

EDIT: Thanks Bogey.

Pony on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This sounds awesome but I will sit this one out and maybe jump on the next one if it works well

edit: meaning, so I know how it is actually played

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    FierceDeity666FierceDeity666 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm with the convoy!

FierceDeity666 on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Bogey wrote:
    PS. This is an ON-TOPIC Game On thread. Repeated offences of dickery will lead to jailings or bannings.
    Man, what?

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Guys I edited the first post with more information.

Pony on
  • Options
    HomelessHomeless Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Shit I'm always on the forum anyway. However, I have NO roleplaying experience. Will this keep me out?

If not,

I'm fucking with the convoy!

Homeless on
  • Options
    ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My ass is in the convoy.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    totally in this convoy

Kovak on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Homeless wrote:
    Shit I'm always on the forum anyway. However, I have NO roleplaying experience. Will this keep me out?

If not, I'm fucking in.

You don't need roleplaying experience. You need to know how to play strategy board games and co-ordinate with people. You don't have to roleplay and you can totally skip your eyes by everyone else's roleplaying, which is exactly why I ask that people italicize RP in their posts.

Pony on
  • Options
    PkErthbndPkErthbnd Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    What time will this be starting? I've gotta work tomorrow night and probably won't be home until 9:30 or 10.

PkErthbnd on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Pony, include me in his game as a zombie. Do with my zombie form as you wish.

Weaver on
  • Options
    HomelessHomeless Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Pony wrote:
    Homeless wrote:

If not, I'm fucking in.

You don't need roleplaying experience. You need to know how to play strategy board games and co-ordinate with people. You don't have to roleplay and you can totally skip your eyes by everyone else's roleplaying, which is exactly why I ask that people italicize RP in their posts.

Okay, sweet. I can do that.

Homeless on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    PkErthbnd wrote:
    What time will this be starting? I've gotta work tomorrow night and probably won't be home until 9:30 or 10.

Tenatively 7ish, so you may have to sit this one out. You can always join in the future.

Pony on
  • Options
    PkErthbndPkErthbnd Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Damn. Well, I'll join the convoy next time and just enjoy reading through this one. TO THE MOON, GENTLEMEN!

PkErthbnd on
  • Options
    rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm with the convoy!

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm with the convoy!

I'm not too late, right?

Green on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    9 players and counting.

I'm going to get a bite to eat guys, be back later.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    So this is after a full scale class four?

Serious business.

I'm with the convoy, if my previous post wasn't clear.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Honestly I am surprised this has not already shot past 30 pages

So you can imagine how giddy I am that I'm actually in on this

This giddy: :o

Green on
  • Options
    RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

Serious business.

It's post-apocalyptic, so pretty much, yeah

I hope there's a mission where we have to find keys and crests and gems to unlock doors in a huge mansion

That would be neat

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I am all up in this convoy.

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Redeemer wrote:

Serious business.

It's post-apocalyptic, so pretty much, yeah

I hope there's a mission where we have to find keys and crests and gems to unlock doors in a huge mansion

That would be neat

I hope my group won't object to pm communications.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I personally have nothing against that. Seems like a good way to keep this thread easy to read and not cluttered all too hell.

Marathon on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Marathon wrote:
    I personally have nothing against that. Seems like a good way to keep this thread easy to read and not cluttered all too hell.

Exactly.

I also think we should refrain from forming alliances until equipment is assigned. Groups should be formed based on equipment. I don't think having a group with say, 3 flashlights and no crowbars would survive very long.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Marathon wrote:

Exactly.

I also think we should refrain from forming alliances until equipment is assigned. Groups should be formed based on equipment. I don't think having a group with say, 3 flashlights and no crowbars would survive very long.

In Pony's stead, I'll field this. Equipment is assigned based on your class, which you choose. Additional equipment can be found within the game.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Quetzi wrote:
    Marathon wrote:

Exactly.

In Pony's stead, I'll field this. Equipment is assigned based on your class, which you choose. Additional equipment can be found within the game.

Oh.

Okay then.

So uh...We should wait until we pick our classes?

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    <3<3 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oh my, I want to ride the convoy. I'm with the convoy!

<3 on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Quetzi wrote:
    Marathon wrote:

Exactly.

Oh.

Okay then.

Well, you could form a group first and then pick your classes in a way so as to balance it.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Quetzi wrote:
    Quetzi wrote:
    Marathon wrote:

Exactly.

Oh.

Okay then.

Well, you could form a group first and then pick your classes in a way so as to balance it.

There's a possibility that disagreements could arise, but it's not up to me anyways.

Do whatever you want.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    <3<3 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Someone with photoshop skill should conjure up me one of those nifty sigs.

<3 on