As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SW:TOR] SPACE COMBAT CONFIRMED

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    Tech seems to be Cyclical in Star Wars.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Tech seems to be Cyclical in Star Wars.

Except Clone Trooper armor is stylistically Mando-based.

Which makes no sense for a game set in the Old Republic.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That is almost worse. It means they crammed every square meter with junk. You will be able to see one PoI from another.

What a fucking negative nancy you are. :lol:

I want to like it, I want to like it so bad. But every week that goes by makes me worry that much more!

The more you learn about the game, the more the galaxy and experience they actually create won't perfectly match the one in your mind.

That's not so much a problem with the game. Someone with high expectations for anything would experience the same disappointment, regardless of the subject: a movie, book, person, relationship, career, or even videogame.

Melkster on
    edited June 2010
    So in other news...

I might be the worst SW:TOR fanboy ever... For I never played through the original Knights of the Old Republic.

I've been playing it this weekend. I'm like 17 hours in. And holy shit, this game is actually really amazing. I think I may have figured out the big twist at the end, because I watched the most recent TOR Timeline video.

The game is plagued by a few bugs, sadly, thanks to me finally getting around to the game 7 years after it came out: No widescreen display support, and a debilitating bug after combat that requires me to reload the game. Plus the DND rules are really archaic and kind of hard to understand (I'm not a tabletop gamer myself). but even in spite of those things the game is phenomenal. I started playing early this morning and suddenly realized it was 4 in the afternoon, wondering where the time went.

Melkster on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Melkster wrote: »
    So in other news...

I might be the worst SW:TOR fanboy ever... For I never played through the original Knights of the Old Republic.

I've been playing it this weekend. I'm like 17 hours in. And holy shit, this game is actually really amazing. I think I may have figured out the big twist at the end, because I watched the most recent TOR Timeline video.

The game is plagued by a few bugs, sadly, thanks to me finally getting around to the game 7 years after it came out: No widescreen display support, and a debilitating bug after combat that requires me to reload the game. Plus the DND rules are really archaic and kind of hard to understand (I'm not a tabletop gamer myself). but even in spite of those things the game is phenomenal. I started playing early this morning and suddenly realized it was 4 in the afternoon, wondering where the time went.

Make sure to try out the sequel as well, it's almost as good and less buggy in my experience.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Agent CooperAgent Cooper Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So in other news...

Or you could figure it out by the fact that it's bloody obvious and if that weren't enough, they pretty much do everything but literally spell it out in the install screens.

The first KotOR sucks. The second one is much better, if unfinished.

Agent Cooper on
    edited June 2010
    So in other news...

Or you could figure it out by the fact that it's bloody obvious and if that weren't enough, they pretty much do everything but literally spell it out in the install screens.

Installed it on steam, so I have no install screens.

I didn't think it was obvious, I certainly wouldn't have guessed it if I hadn't seen that Timeline video.

Unless what I think is the twist, isn't in fact the twist and we're talking about different things... Hmm.

Melkster on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The twist in the first KOTOR came as a surprise to me, but was somewhat obvious in retrospect.

I've never understood the derision heaped on people who were actually engrossed in the story and didn't see it coming.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The twist in KotOR becomes obvious in hindsight. Anyone boasting that it could be figured out before it happens is probably mad they didn't see it coming! <_<

Henroid on
  • Mandalorian RoosterMandalorian Rooster Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hey Melkster, last time I played Kotor I had the same problems.

Widescreen Fix

And if the bug is that you can't move after combat, turn off (or on, I forget. just the opposite of what it is now) V-sync.

Mandalorian Rooster on
  • Agent CooperAgent Cooper Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh fine. Spoilered.
    Yeah because "Hey guys this guy is dead we swear he is but he's super important but he's dead but nobody saw the body" isn't obvious enough.

And then one of the first things anybody says to you is "The Force can erase memories lol."

The writing in the first KotOR is absolutely godawful. The only good thing is Jolee Bindo.

Agent Cooper on
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Maybe you should spoiler that Cooper? I mean, 5 posts above you is a guy who isn't sure he's figured it out yet.

And it surprised me, but I'm easy to surprise. Usually.

Terrendos on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh fine. Spoilered.
    Yeah because "Hey guys this guy who isn't the player is dead and even though we haven't seen a body, he can't be directly connected to the player because that's not how most people put ideas together duh." isn't obvious enough.

And then one of the first things anybody says to you is "The Force can erase memories lol, and you probably didn't forget anything important so don't think about it too much and think more about this other stuff we direct your immediate attention to."

The writing in the first KotOR is absolutely godawesome. And one of the good things is Jolee Bindo.

Fixed.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • spamfilterspamfilter Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    KOTOR 2 is only better than KOTOR if you enjoy deconstructing Star Wars more than you enjoy Star Wars.

Otherwise KOTOR > KOTOR 2.

spamfilter on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    KotOR 2 appeals to my hatred of Lucas' portrayal of the Force and how it's only allowed to have two extremes. Fuck that shit. And the Jedi Order is as silly as the Sith. I'd still choose light over dark, mind you, but come on.

Henroid on
    edited June 2010
    You just made my point. KOTOR 2 is made for people who hate Star Wars.

spamfilter on
  • NerfThatManNerfThatMan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Man, first thing I'm doing off Ord Mantell is running a fucking holocaust on every sarlacc pit I can find to avenge Boba Fett's dignity.

NerfThatMan on
    PSN: corporateshill
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    This is... thousands of years before Fett was born.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Time travel. Problem solved... for now.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I was almost tearing up reading the OP right now

this sounds too good for words.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Until you beomce your own Great-Great-Grandfather. (Add more "Greats" as necessary.

Bloodshed on
    edited June 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    I was almost tearing up reading the OP right now

this sounds too good for words.

:D

I too am excited about it.

Melkster on
    edited June 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    KotOR 2 appeals to my hatred of Lucas' portrayal of the Force and how it's only allowed to have two extremes. Fuck that shit. And the Jedi Order is as silly as the Sith. I'd still choose light over dark, mind you, but come on.

This. /Agree

The Force strikes me as more of a universal concept, without good or evil biases, rather then being a purely black and white thing, but which can be bent to reflect and suit the views and desires of the individual wielder depending on his/her's connection to the Force, and the way they use it. Jedi and Sith both have their own goals, but they are too widely focused on. They are hardly the only Force users in the galaxy, and are probably among the most active because of their aspirations of political power, both through consequence, in the case of the Jedi and the Republic, and through straight effort, as with the Sith and the Empire.

A lot of the more local planetary Force practitioners, human and otherwise, live secluded or quiet lives of peace and neutrality, they act as guides and shamans for their cultures and peoples and don't much influence the balance of the world around them and the Force.
    If the Jedi were more like that, they'd probably be a lot harder to convert to the dark side, but as it is, they get too set in their ancient traditions and their commitment to the Republic and it's political machinations to truly be removed from the subtle corruption of pride and the power plays of the galaxy, and by extension, the plots of the Sith to rule it.

I'll still pick a Jedi every time because at the heart they have good intentions and good ideas, but they are too intertwined in the Republic to be unbiased and true to the real nature of the Force, which is ultimately without any leanings.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited June 2010
    I feel like the Sith do have some good ideas. I mean, they are right in that competition leads to improvement. That's, like, the basis of everything from evolution to economics here on earth.

They just fall off the other side of the horse by suddenly jumping to cruelty and extermination and prejudice and all manner of horrible things.

Melkster on
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I just finished replaying KotOR (again) and it made me look into ToR. Color me hyped.

KotOR is awesome and I want more of it. KotOR II was vaguely disappointing, but ToR sounds promising from a plot perspective, if not gameplay. Although KotOR was already pretty similar to an MMO, in retrospect.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Team Gizka died off, but there is a cut content mod for KOTOR II out now. I can't remember the exact name but googling KOTOR II cut content should get you there.

captaink on
    edited June 2010
    I feel like the Sith do have some good ideas. I mean, they are right in that competition leads to improvement. That's, like, the basis of everything from evolution to economics here on earth.

They just fall off the other side of the horse by suddenly jumping to cruelty and extermination and prejudice and all manner of horrible things.

The Sith and Jedi are two sides of the same coin, both based on the Force and half truth. Being in the middle between them is preferable to being in one of them.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    spamfilter wrote: »
    You just made my point. KOTOR 2 is made for people who hate Star Wars.

That sounds about right. I do hate Star Wars, or at least I hate how George Lucas deliberately stunts it.

Still I hope this game turns out well. I have to say most reports on hands on reports of gameplay haven't been all that positive, pretty much saying "more of the same".

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »

The Sith and Jedi are two sides of the same coin, both based on the Force and half truth. Being in the middle between them is preferable to being in one of them.

I look at it more like the ring in lord of the rings

of course this has changed since the OT... I'd say it's like the ring but you can use it to some extent without being tainted.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So in other news...

Installed it on steam, so I have no install screens.

I didn't think it was obvious, I certainly wouldn't have guessed it if I hadn't seen that Timeline video.

Unless what I think is the twist, isn't in fact the twist and we're talking about different things... Hmm.

Melkster, do some google searches for widescreen kotor etc. One of the sites is called widescreen gaming or somethign like that. It will give you isntructions on where you can download a patcher for the resolutions and the UI files you just copy to the override folder. It will have instructions on how to do it for steam too. It's basically copying and renaming the execute file so Steam doesn't auto update it.

I've got only basic skills when it comes to screwing around with things like that but I got it working and I've been playing KotOR recently in widescreen with native resolution on my screen.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Mandalorian RoosterMandalorian Rooster Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I thought someone posted that on the last page?
    Hey Melkster, last time I played Kotor I had the same problems.

Widescreen Fix

And if the bug is that you can't move after combat, turn off (or on, I forget. just the opposite of what it is now) V-sync.

Oh yeah, it was me.

Mandalorian Rooster on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    I liked playing KOTOR in Windowed mode the last time I played through it about a year ago.

It let me play WoW and then when there was down time, alt-tab to KOTOR.

JustinSane07 on
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

of course this has changed since the OT... I'd say it's like the ring but you can use it to some extent without being tainted.

The moment you touch The Darkside of the Force you are tainted.

It seems like every time discussions come up about the nature of the Force the people begin touting that they think people should be able to use "both sides" of the Force. That somehow, against all the characters that have tried (and failed) they have the knowledge and know how to "embrace all emotions" and be some type of uber "grey" Jedi.

The Darkside is cancer and poison. It corrupts you -- wholly and fully, whether your realize it or not.

The best ally the Darkside has is the concept of the Unifying Force.

But when the time comes and you realize that your outlook on the nature of the Force has led you down the dark path. I will be there with arm extended to help you up from the darkness.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    MagicPrime wrote: »

It seems like every time discussions come up about the nature of the Force the people begin touting that they think people should be able to use "both sides" of the Force. That somehow, against all the characters that have tried, and failed" they have the knowledge and know how to "embrace all emotions" and be some type of uber "grey" Jedi.

The Darkside is cancer and poison. It corrupts you -- wholly and fully, whether your realize it or not.

That's just Jedi propaganda. After the prequels, how can anyone trust those people?

reVerse on
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Kotor2 was mostly fan wankery to the "Grey" Jedi crowd. I still went solid Lightside. Kreia can go fuck herself.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
    edited June 2010

False. The lightsaber form that Mace Windu invented or perfected (whichever) relies on drawing on the dark side just a teensy bit, which is why it's not a wide-spread form used among the Jedi nor is it instructed to many. You aren't forever tainted, it's just really hard to resist the Dark Side.

SHEESH YOU'RE MAKING ME ARGUE THIS. D:

Henroid on
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

False. The lightsaber form that Mace Windu invented or perfected (whichever) relies on drawing on the dark side just a teensy bit, which is why it's not a wide-spread form used among the Jedi nor is it instructed to many. You aren't forever tainted, it's just really hard to resist the Dark Side.

Didn't Windu have to kill the people he taught that thing to because it made them fall to the dark side?

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

Didn't Windu have to kill the people he taught that thing to because it made them fall to the dark side?

Didn't Windu die like a punk?

Doctor Detroit on
    edited June 2010
    Kotor2 was mostly fan wankery to the "Grey" Jedi crowd. I still went solid Lightside. Kreia can go fuck herself.

Yup.

The Darkside is not some other side of the coin. It's just the lightside corrupted.

spamfilter on
  • DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Lightside and Darkside are sides of the same coin. Darkside embraces emotion to the point where users become raving lunatics. Lightside denies emotion to the point where users become withdrawn lunatics. Equal and opposite, they're all mad monks trying to rule the galaxy as they deem best. 'Grey' are just bipolar lunatics doing the same thing. They're all nuts!

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
This discussion has been closed.