As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Activision's GoldenEye: James Bond Will Return (on PS3 & 360)

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The L and R buttons on the original CC are analog, actually, with a digital click similar to the GC controller. Apparently it's now just digital on the Pro.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    NaturalNarcissistNaturalNarcissist Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Watched a friend screw around with it earlier today.

For Bond fans, this is basically the long-awaited sequel to Nightfire. And frankly, I'm ecstatic about that. Nice, solid shoot em up action with the occasional set piece or slight twist - all wrapped up in a surprisingly well told narrative.

Even though I miss the sheer balls out spectacle of Everything or Nothing ("He's rappelling down an exploding building! And shooting enemies as he falls! In the first level!"), this is an excellent take on the more realistic side of the Bond cannon. Trying to take something like TWINE and make it into a "Craig" Bond film would've required a nigh impossible level of sleight of hand, but Goldeneye's original script is already pretty damn close to what we expect of our newest James Bond.

NaturalNarcissist on
  • Options
    DraperDraper __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    Sucks that this is only for Wii, leaving me stuck renting Blood Stone to get any bond fix this year.

Draper on
    lifefinal3.jpg
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Draper wrote: »
    Sucks that this is only for Wii, leaving me stuck renting Blood Stone to get any bond fix this year.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Please do not do this shit.

Something just occurred to me. Wiimote+Nunchuk set up has the ability to lean, which is not available using any of the other controller options. Is this intentionally removed from the other controllers to help people try out the Wiimote+Nunchuk, or is there just nowhere to add it to a button on those controllers? If it's the latter, I think this is the first I've ever heard of the Wiimote+Nunchuk setup not being a limiting factor in how you can play the game. Is leaning still available if you use the Wii Zapper?

And just in case people didn't see the question before, I'm wondering something regarding this game and Gamecube controllers.
    Actually, just for my own curiosity, someone check out what the layout is for the Gamecube controller, if the D-pad is used for anything, and if any action can be put on any button (like shoot = Left, to be completely ridiculous, but to see how flexible the controls can be customized).

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    HearthjawHearthjaw Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    BTP wrote: »

Something just occurred to me. Wiimote+Nunchuk set up has the ability to lean, which is not available using any of the other controller options. Is this intentionally removed from the other controllers to help people try out the Wiimote+Nunchuk, or is there just nowhere to add it to a button on those controllers? If it's the latter, I think this is the first I've ever heard of the Wiimote+Nunchuk setup not being a limiting factor in how you can play the game. Is leaning still available if you use the Wii Zapper?

And just in case people didn't see the question before, I'm wondering something regarding this game and Gamecube controllers.
    Actually, just for my own curiosity, someone check out what the layout is for the Gamecube controller, if the D-pad is used for anything, and if any action can be put on any button (like shoot = Left, to be completely ridiculous, but to see how flexible the controls can be customized).

The d-pad is used for cycling weapons, using the phone and alternating firing modes (weapon silencer etc).
    I'm not near my wii right now so I can't check the level of cutomisation on the GC, but you can fiddle quite a bit with the wiimote controls.

Hearthjaw on
    steamid: sewersider
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Huh. Now you have me curious for what the face buttons are used for. Thanks.

One more thing: What's else is included in the Gold CCPro? I heard there's some kind of code for additional multiplayer stuff.....

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    edited November 2010

I'm allowed to express dismay that a game I really wanted to play is on the one console I don't own.

Draper on
    lifefinal3.jpg
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Gamecube controller mapping is weird. They have melee, nightvision/Leaderboard, and cycle grenades as alternate buttons. You hold z and hit another button to use them.

You can't remap the buttons, but it does have a few other preset control configurations like the original goldeneye. The Janus configuration puts grenades/reload/crouch on the c stick though. It doesn't use the x and y buttons in that configuration for some reason. None of the configurations give you single click melee.

The bundle I picked up from gamestop included a code to unlock classic conflict online, which you have to be level 40 or so to get otherwise.

FC:

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    does CC/Gamecube mode have Legacy sticks?

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

I'm allowed to express dismay that a game I really wanted to play is on the one console I don't own.

This game was announced at E3. That was June. 5 months ago. You didn't know this was a Nintendo exclusive this entire time? Let me echo Tube for a second.
    I can't believe that anyone is surprised at a Goldeneye remake being a Nintendo exclusive.

...and then you say because you can't play a James Bond game, you're stuck playing.....a James Bond game?

Can you please just take a look back at what you said regarding "being allowed to express dismay"? Now try to imagine what a forum would look like if Wii-only gamers stated their "dismay" about all the games they're interested in, but it was for PC/360/PS3, like so many titles coming out today. What would you say to them?

Perhaps we may be allowed to express dismay on this forum, but we don't. If we do, it's certainly not five months after the game is announced, and certainly not a day or two after its release when people are trying to have some wholesome discussion about the game proper. So please, do not do this shit.

===================================
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    does CC/Gamecube mode have Legacy sticks?

Heh. I remember having this discussion when Perfect Dark XBLA came out. That's another thing I'm curious about as well. I don't have the game yet, but I don't see why it wouldn't. I think I've heard that there's a ton of options regardless of the controller you're using, and not just for the Wii remote.

----

Well, if people are going to be posting their friend codes in this thread, do I go ahead and add this thread to the NWC thread? Or will another updated thread be made for this game?

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yes, it has legacy and southpaw.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Eurocam is a smart developer, indeed

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Eurocam is a smart developer, indeed

Well, they do drive on the other side of the street.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    NaturalNarcissistNaturalNarcissist Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Two things:

1) I know that we can't talk about how awful Blood Stone is, but damn - that is one awful game.

2) The further the Goldeneye Wii game gets away from the Dam levels, the more it really begins to diverge. They start to completely re-arrange major reveals into totally new directions. My jaw has dropped open at some of the stuff they've pulled off... it will definitely drive the purists insane.

NaturalNarcissist on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I've only gotten to play a little bit, but it seems like it was an extremely awesome and smart move to let the original screenplay writer come back and rework the story for the game. Basically a guy gets to go back and 'do over' a movie and fix shit he didn't like, which is a rare chance.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    HearthjawHearthjaw Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've only gotten to play a little bit, but it seems like it was an extremely awesome and smart move to let the original screenplay writer come back and rework the story for the game. Basically a guy gets to go back and 'do over' a movie and fix shit he didn't like, which is a rare chance.

The changes are definitely jaring at first but even as a fan of the 64 version they're not entirely unwelcome, it may be a remake but it holds on it own, definitely my favorite wii game in a long time.

Hearthjaw on
    steamid: sewersider
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I ended up ordering it completely on a whim while trying to make the best of Amazon's B2G1. I'm pretty shocked that it turned out as good as people are saying, but I'm due for a Bond fix and it would seem that this delivers. At the very least more than Blood Stone would have.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'm playing through Blood Stone and don't get the complaints. It's fun and a good rental, and definitely better than the Quantum of Solace game. The driving segments are good too.

And to BTP, at what point did I say I didn't know it was an exclusive? All I said was it's too bad I can't play it. Simple.

Draper on
    lifefinal3.jpg
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Title should be "Waggled, not shaken."

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Klyka wrote: »

I'll take it under consideration.

Great to see people are enjoying the game so much; compared to my thoughts when I made this thread months ago I've gone from cynical and wary to pretty darned excited to try it out, as soon as I can land a steady job so I can start up my Gamefly account again.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Wow, this was back way further than I would have expected.

I just picked this up yesterday and wow, it's pretty awesome. All Wii games should be like this, if not all games. Bold statement I'm sure.

My biggest complaints are that the controls are customizable but not in real-time so I'm never quite sure what I'll get until I exit out of all of the menus. And my second is that there's no cursor navigation for the menus. Minor, but on a system with a pointer it's nice to be able to use it.

Having played a lot of the original Goldeneye it's definitely different, but not in any bad way. I like not knowing everything that's going to happen, and I like how well it's pulled off.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    KMGorKMGor Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Just bought this, found it quite enjoyable thus far. It does take quite a lot of tweaking to get the controls feeling good - more than any of the other newer Wii FPS titles I've tried. But eventually you can get it there. If you have a Kmart near you, you may get a $10 off your next video gaming purchase if you buy it there this week.

I also wanted to add one thing, one bit of pretty dumb logic in the game. If you have a GameCube controller plugged in the first slot, it won't let you use a Wii remote AT ALL on boot up - not even to do the menus. If you have a setup like mine, where the Wii isn't even visible (I use a projector and it's in an open cabinet to the side) this was pretty confusing as I forgot I even had one plugged in.

This would be especially annoying for WaveBird users who just like to leave that near the Wiimote and not have to mess with anything (or not, I"m not sure if it would detect it as plugged in if turned off?). I don't know if after you've saved your control config if on reboot it will again assume GCN controller over the Wiimote if it is plugged in - hopefully not.

KMGor on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    For some annoying reason pretty much every third party game that uses the GCN controllers defaults to them in exactly the same manner. Some are nice enough to warn you that the controller is plugged in on boot up.

Nintendo games just don't care. They assume pretty much that whatever device the button presses are coming from is player one and just starts assigning places from there.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I've got the game waiting for me in an Amazon box at home. I'm looking forward to getting a few hours in tonight, even if I end up spending half of that swapping controllers.

I've been on a Bond trip all week thanks to this coming out, yet I've still manged to have never seen Goldeneye. I should really do that before putting too much time into the game.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My interest in this game has gone up exponentially after reading through the last couple of pages here.

For those with the game, are there still fun objectives during each mission and do a lot of the old weapons like proximity mines make an appearance? I may not be able to get this for a little while, but this has quickly shot its way into "almost guaranteed purchase" territory.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hearing this talked about on the Bombcast this week makes me want to play it bad

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Someone over at GAF posted this custom box art:

web.jpg

I wish it was high res for printing, have to see if I can find it.
    Also I couldn't resist doing this:

61261736.jpg

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I've put a handful of hours into the game now. Single player is great, especially compared to the Wii's offerings in the genre. A bit harder than I anticipated. Great presentation all around.

Multiplayer really surprised me. Frame rate is iffy, but other than that I'm having a lot of fun with it online. Maybe its because I haven't done many of the fancy new FPS games with their experience points and perks and all of that, but it feels like a nice modernization of it all. I'm looking forward to getting some splitscreen going on soon.

SightTDW on
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    About all I don't like about this game so far - it seems to have taken a step back from the original in terms of detecting where you shoot the bad guy - I was really surprised that headshots weren't instant kills anymore, and shooting a guy repeatedly in the ass was always entertaining on N64.

McFodder on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    McFodder wrote: »
    About all I don't like about this game so far - it seems to have taken a step back from the original in terms of detecting where you shoot the bad guy - I was really surprised that headshots weren't instant kills anymore, and shooting a guy repeatedly in the ass was always entertaining on N64.

I'm fairly certain that headshots are instant kills, it's just that the hit detection seems a little off. I know that I've pulled off a number of one-shot kills while stealthing about.

SightTDW on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Got this today and it is pretty good. Kinda weird how long the Dam or what was supposed to be the old precredit intro sequence is.

I love first person games that really put you in the character such as cinematic head movement cam or use of hands and feet.

Bad point is the Wii's lack of higher resolution makes me feel I am seeing a blurry mess.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    SightTDW wrote: »
    McFodder wrote: »

I'm fairly certain that headshots are instant kills, it's just that the hit detection seems a little off. I know that I've pulled off a number of one-shot kills while stealthing about.

While using stealth it's always a one shot kill as long as you don't miss and hit the collar instead (which is easy to do). I'm pretty sure it's one or two hits otherwise. But it's hard to always get a proper headshot in the middle of combat. It's much less forgiving about where you shoot someone. No big easy hitboxes on this guy.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Klyka wrote: »

This is awful

You're awful

This title is perfect

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Cheats have been discovered!
    NotIt!!!11 - Unlocks Tag in Multiplayer Split-Screen (see under Modifiers. Requires three or more players.)

Inv1s1bleEv3ryth1ng - Unlocks Invisibility Mode in Multiplayer Split-Screen (also under Modifiers. Invisibility is activated in lieu of sprint by holding B).

<477MYFR13NDS4R3SP13S> - Activates Big Head Mode in Local Multiplayer. There is no toggle in the local multiplayer modifiers, the only way to switch it off is to reset the defaults; the only way to switch it on is to re-enter the code.

bighead3.jpg

Awesome.

Of course this sort of wrecks the game due to using CoD-style headshot mechanics rather than health pools...

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I always thought that it was cool that the original GoldenEye had more objectives to complete on harder difficulties. Glad this new version kept that although I think it sorta slows the action down sometimes.

Has there been any other FPS games that do that? I think Black did but not certain.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'd love the objective setup for this if they didn't consist of crap like opening weapons crates filled with weapons you have no use for, but still fail the mission if you neglect to open one.

Screwed that one up twice now...

SightTDW on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So are you guys still playing this online or has everyone moved on to Black Ops?

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Why did you change the title

This title is awful and the other one was perfection

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Why did you change the title

This title is awful and the other one was perfection

When you said "this title is perfect" they may have interpreted it to mean the title you were talking about, not the current title at the time. That's what I thought, anyway, I thought you were advocating change!

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Are the James Bond gamecube games worth getting?

Also, this game seems pretty cool.

What are it's main drawbacks?

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490