As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

EB Selling Used PC Games As New?

beta.lyraebeta.lyrae Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
So, I went into my local EB today and picked up a copy of GalCiv II and Medieval II. My wife had called ahead for pizza, so I was in kind of in a rush.

So I get home, eat some pizza then goto install my games. I notice that GalCiv has that plastic circle thing that seals the box broken. I'm ticked off but install the game anyway. Then I download the updates, but the update needs your key registered to an email address. I try to activate it and it says my key is registered to a different email address. I retype it 4 times just to make sure...

I drive back to the EB and tell them I want my money back. No problem the guy says. He assures me that he has no idea how this could have happened.

Whatever, so I get my money back, drive home then go to install Medieval II. WTF! There isn't any shrink wrap on the dvd case. Why the fark didn't I check both games. Arg, so essentially I got sold two used games as new.

I looked around and it seems I'm not the only one, so I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else here. If they're doing it systematically, they really should be stopped. I'm going back tomorrow to return MII. What would you do if you went back and that copy of GalCiv II was back on the shelf?

http://www.gametab.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496&page=3
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-997.html

beta.lyrae on

• YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    In case you didn't know, EBStop guts their games so no one steals them. They are not "used". However the use of the CDkey in GalCiv2 is weird.

YodaTuna on
  • PkErthbndPkErthbnd Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I remember this happening awhile back when I was trying to buy The Sims Online. The nearest game store was like 30 minutes away, and I didn't realize the key had been used until I got home. I tried contacting the store but they said there was nothing I could do, so I called Maxis...and their response was "Fax us the original CD key, the receipt, your name, number, and an ID, and $25 and we'll get you a new key." to which I replied with a hearty "FUCK YOU." I went back to GameSlop and complained a lot more, and just wound up getting my money back. Last time I buy a PC game at a game store.

Sorry to hear about it, man. Best advice is just to bitch about it as much as you can and hopefully they'll swap 'em out.

PkErthbnd on
  • beta.lyraebeta.lyrae Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    YodaTuna wrote:
    In case you didn't know, EBStop guts their games so no one steals them. They are not "used". However the use of the CDkey in GalCiv2 is weird.

No, I don't think they do this for PC games. At least, I've never bought a PC game and they've had to "get their last copy out of the drawer". Either way, I'm just not going to shop there anymore. I should have stopped a long time ago...

beta.lyrae on
  • PkErthbndPkErthbnd Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, I know when I worked at EB, we just threw the PC games out on the shelf. No gutting or anything. Heh, come to think of it, I could've stolen like 5 WoW timecards. Good thing I didn't play.

PkErthbnd on
    edited January 2007
    PkErthbnd wrote:
    Sorry to hear about it, man. Best advice is just to bitch about it as much as you can and hopefully they'll swap 'em out.

Well, they took the copy of GalCiv II back no problem, hopefully, they'll take back Medieval II as well. I can't help but wonder if they would have even taken the Galciv back if I was teenager...I see kids get treated like crap in those stores.

beta.lyrae on
    edited January 2007
    beta.lyrae wrote:
    YodaTuna wrote:

No, I don't think they do this for PC games. At least, I've never bought a PC game and they've had to "get their last copy out of the drawer". Either way, I'm just not going to shop there anymore. I should have stopped a long time ago...

New directive. All PC games get gutted.

Edit: Oh and little kids suck.

YodaTuna on
  • Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    beta.lyrae wrote:
    No, I don't think they do this for PC games.

YodaTuna wrote:

It's determined on a store by store basis. Gutting PC games is absolutely within Gamestop/EB policy even before their mergers.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, but if you're going to gut them, wouldn't you leave them gutted? How does it stop theft if you gut them and put them back on the shelves?

beta.lyrae on
    edited January 2007
    beta.lyrae wrote:
    Yeah, but if you're going to gut them, wouldn't you leave them gutted? How does it stop theft if you gut them and put them back on the shelves?

So the discs were in the box while it was on the shelf?

YodaTuna on
    edited January 2007
    YodaTuna wrote:
    beta.lyrae wrote:

Yup.

But even without Medieval II, I still got sold a copy of Galciv II as new, that was opened, and registered to someone else.

beta.lyrae on
    edited January 2007
    beta.lyrae wrote:
    YodaTuna wrote:
    beta.lyrae wrote:

Yup.

Sounds like a really dumb store. Go steal a bunch of PC games.

EBStop doesn't even take used PC games anymore so there is no way they would get the in stock and then sell them as new.

YodaTuna on
  • GiantRoboGiantRobo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    YodaTuna wrote:
    beta.lyrae wrote:
    YodaTuna wrote:
    beta.lyrae wrote:

Yup.

EBStop doesn't even take used PC games anymore so there is no way they would get the in stock and then sell them as new.
    They could've been returned and re-sold as new.

GiantRobo on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wasn't there a big thing about this with Half-Life 2 and WoW and a few others?

They would take the discs out as a precaution but leave all the filler/flyers in the box and people would open the box take the code-key and just DL the client?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    beta.lyrae wrote:
    No, I don't think they do this for PC games.

YodaTuna wrote:

It's determined on a store by store basis. Gutting PC games is absolutely within Gamestop/EB policy even before their mergers.

wow... that definitely shouldn't be allowed, especially with all the registration crap that most games do locking down one-time-use CD keys and all.

I could definitely imagine an EB/stop employee saying "I don't wanna pay for this game" opening it, copying the CD key down, closing it back up and putting it on the shelf again. At least I can imagine that from the asshats in my local Software Etc.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    GiantRobo wrote:
    YodaTuna wrote:
    beta.lyrae wrote:
    YodaTuna wrote:
    beta.lyrae wrote:

Yup.

They could've been returned and re-sold as new.

Company policy is to ship any PC games we get returned back back to our wharehouse.

What might have happened, is a customer could've taken the CDKey from the booklet, if the booklet was left inside of the gutted case.

Kami on
    edited January 2007
    Kami wrote:
    Company policy is to ship any PC games we get returned back back to our wharehouse.

Yeah, but then what? They could look at the games, see which ones are suitable to resell, then ship them out to different stores. Some of those links in the OP have instances of people getting games like this via ebgames.com.

Wild speculation, I know, but I'm just saying the company policy doesn't mean a whole lot.

beta.lyrae on
  • RaereRaere Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    When I bought Phantasy Star Universe a few weeks ago, it was gutted.

Raere on
    Raere.png
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Gamestop's corporate dudes aren't all on the same page. That's part of what causes a lot of the problems people complain about in dealings with Gamestop. In my store we were told to gut all PC games, then only gut PC games marked more than $20, then ungut any still-gutted PC games under $20, then ungut all PC games over the course of three months.

ViolentChemistry on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It has happened to me once... I bought Final Fantasy X there, new. I opened it and found the disc was scratched up. I promptly returned it and demanded a refund... almost forgot all about that.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited January 2007
    beta.lyrae wrote:
    Kami wrote:

Yeah, but then what? They could look at the games, see which ones are suitable to resell, then ship them out to different stores. Some of those links in the OP have instances of people getting games like this via ebgames.com.

Wild speculation, I know, but I'm just saying the company policy doesn't mean a whole lot.

Destroyed or sent back to the publisher. I've never seen an open PC game come in a box through my store.

YodaTuna on
  • ikillkennyikillkenny Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    When I bought Warcraft 3 from an EB on its launch day there was no CD-Key with the game. Don't know if it was a printing error or an employee removing it or what.

ikillkenny on
  • UnderHero5UnderHero5 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    On the subject of EB Games and their stupidity when it comes to selling used things...

Back in the day (2000 or 2001?) my friend and I were in an EB Games and they were selling a used copy of Half Life, the original. Not in a box, just in the jewel case... shrink wrapped... with the cd key on display for all to see. My friend and I had no writing utensils so we each took half the cd key and memorized it... walked all the way out of the mall to his car and wrote it down. I already had a copy of the game, but a couple years later that CD Key actually came in use. I made a second Steam account with it, the very one my girlfriend uses now.

So yeah. I took advantage of their stupidity. I doubt any one is missing that cd key though, since I didn't use it for years after I wrote it down... odds are whoever owns that copy never played it online anyway.

UnderHero5 on
    -=Evildoers Beware=-
    XBL: UnderHero5
    Steam/PSN: UnderHero5
  • IcewingIcewing Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, when I bought Half Life 2, it was from a gutted box. They'd taken the discs out, but left the sheet with the key in it. When I got it home I discovered that there was no sheet with the registration key in the box. This means I couldn't install the game. I went back to return it, explained the situation, and it turns out--as we looked through the four remaining gutted Half Life 2 boxes on the shelf--that only two out of the four boxes still had the piece of paper with the code on it. 5 - 3 = 2. Ouch.

edit: This story does *not* mean I am against gutting, I just thought it was funny that they wouldn't put the Steam key code with the discs, since the discs are basically irrelevant.

Icewing on
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I hate EBStop. Their corporate heads must be idiots. A lot of the policies and shit don't make sense. Like they have FOUR displays of stuff on the wall. Four. That's pretty unnecessary, that's three copies that get opened for no reason and stickered up.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I hate EBStop. Their corporate heads must be idiots. A lot of the policies and shit don't make sense. Like they have FOUR displays of stuff on the wall. Four. That's pretty unnecessary, that's three copies that get opened for no reason and stickered up.

The policies make a lot more sense if you realize that EBStop hates its customers. If they could take your money while punching you in the stomach and give you no product, I have no doubt that they would.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    jclast wrote:

The policies make a lot more sense if you realize that EBStop hates its customers. If they could take your money while punching you in the stomach and give you no product, I have no doubt that they would.

Don't give them ideas!

I must be lucky when it comes to EBstop because I have yet to have a problem with mine. Perhaps its just a matter of time.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    UnderHero5 wrote:
    On the subject of EB Games and their stupidity when it comes to selling used things...

Back in the day (2000 or 2001?) my friend and I were in an EB Games and they were selling a used copy of Half Life, the original. Not in a box, just in the jewel case... shrink wrapped... with the cd key on display for all to see. My friend and I had no writing utensils so we each took half the cd key and memorized it... walked all the way out of the mall to his car and wrote it down. I already had a copy of the game, but a couple years later that CD Key actually came in use. I made a second Steam account with it, the very one my girlfriend uses now.

So yeah. I took advantage of their stupidity. I doubt any one is missing that cd key though, since I didn't use it for years after I wrote it down... odds are whoever owns that copy never played it online anyway.

So this guy left his keys in his door in the opposite flat. Walked out with a laptop, some dvds, and his dog. Man I totally took advantage of his stupidity.

Rook on
  • CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've had them assume that a box was gutted because the plastic box inside the paper slip cover was not shrink wrapped. They gave me Project Snowlbind after they couldn't find the discs behind the counter. I opened it on my way to work and found the disc inside! Yes, there were still plastic seals holding the plastic box inside the paper box, but EB puts these on all the time so they are meaningless.

I went back the next day and paid for it even though they opened at exactly the time I was supposed to be at work for a 12hr shift (they open later on Sunday than Saturday).

I bought a sealed Sonic Heroes for $10 just before it dropped to $5 and was surprised to find TWO "Disc 1 of 2" discs in it. It was definitely a factory flaw, but Sega would not respond to my email and I was forced to trade for the gutted copy.

Now, hasn't it always been their policy to allow employees to play their gutted games before selling them as new? In the past, they even allowed them to take them home! I assumed that this would cause problems for "one owner only" PC games, so I was sure that there would be some kinda restriction on it. Perhaps not.

CZroe on
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    One of my friends had something similar happen when we went to buy the original everquest (it wasn't at a EBstop though).

The box had been shrinkwrapped, but it became obvious later that the store itself had done that, because one he got home and tried to install it, he got an error saying that the CD key was already in use. Obviously someone had bought installed and returned EQ (store was probably clueless on how the game worked) so they just reshrinkwrapped it and put it on the shelf.

LockeCole on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    UnderHero5 wrote:

You know, I've bought Half-life three times now. Once on it's own, again because GAME had the "generations" box set (Half-life + OpFor) cheaper than OpFor alone, and a third time as part of a four-in-one compilation. All brand new.
    None of the CD keys work with Steam. All three of them are already in use. I don't strictly need them, because I can still install it normally instead of through Steam, but man, that pisses me off.

japan on
  • cemetery mancemetery man Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I miss being able to buy used PC games at EB. I got my copy of Torment there back in the day.

cemetery man on
  • BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I just wish there were stores that kept older PC games around, used or not. It was cool when I could go into Electronics Boutique and peruse their giant wall of pc games that spanned 6-7 years.

Ballman on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

It's probably just advertising. When Blockbuster puts an entire wall section up for a single new release,it's not cause it needs an entire section but so people can see where it is easily.

Although it is a bit worse when it involves damaging the packaging.

Scooter on
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    stories like the OP's happen all the time

Deusfaux on
  • AlienCowThatMoosAlienCowThatMoos Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    jclast wrote:

I assume that they intentionally make the new product as unappealing as possible so you'll buy the much higher yield used product instead. I'll admit it has worked on me a few times. Really, what's the difference between a thrashed, stickered-up new copy and a thrashed stickered up used copy? $5 and the promise that it's "technically" new.

AlienCowThatMoos on
    SpidermanSig.jpg
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'd bet that someone just opened the case for GalCivII, took down the key, then put it back on the shelf.

Used to see that sort of thing happen with WoW all the time, since you could download the client for free online.

Javen on
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I bought a copy of advance wars DS "new" from gamestop a few months ago, when I took it home and played it it had someone's save information already on the cart.

I don't buy new games from gamestops anymore.

Why bother with getting a game that may or may not be pre-played when you can just go to best buy or target and get a game that's not gutted and still in the shrink wrap?

Jealous Deva on
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Why bother with getting a game that may or may not be pre-played when you can just go to best buy or target and get a game that's not gutted and still in the shrink wrap?

Masochism

Deusfaux on
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Deusfaux wrote:

Masochism

Best buy and target don't to pre-orders and often don't have some of the rarer games at lauch, if at all :(

LockeCole on
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Same here. I just order my games online, rather than deal with low stock shit, new games never ordered, and opening up new or selling used as new.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast