As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Murderer Ronnie Lee Gardner was executed today in Utah. Would you like to know more?

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    An actual mental disorder is almost impossible to fake. Thee is a reason courts order psychological evaluations.

Of course, your main argumentative tactic here seems to be to call everyone who disagrees with you names, so I'm not sure what the virtue of addressing any of your few, actual points would be.

edit: but okay, let's give it a shot anyway.
    The flat out truth is that people who murder, rape, kill, and enjoy it do not deserve to live.

How would you justify this statement, and likewise justify the policy you want to make out of it?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm not talking about policy, I already said I'm just talking about basic morals. If your deep down inside moral code is that these guys should live, that's what I disagree with. That's it. I don't know why it's hard to grasp. Maybe because it's more fun to argue and bicker.

Urian on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    no, bernie madoff should not be lynched
    No. But, maybe maimed a bit.

GungHo on
  • Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    What moral code picks and chooses who gets to retain their humanity? Which code takes something uniquely human like murder and other malicious crimes and then defines anyone who commits them as no longer human?

Lucid on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Urian wrote: »
    I'm not talking about policy, I already said I'm just talking about basic morals. If your deep down inside moral code is that these guys should live, that's what I disagree with. That's it. I don't know why it's hard to grasp. Maybe because it's more fun to argue and bicker.

fine, then don't even mess around with policy. How do you justify your position morally?

protip: "I just feel it in my gut" is not a good argument

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Animals do plenty of rape and murder too, it's not really unique for us.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    It's not the same thing at all though.

Lucid on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    No I know. :P

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited June 2010

fine, then don't even mess around with policy. How do you justify your position morally?

I was never messing around with policy for this. In the page before I was, but that was really just a hypothetical idea to toss around.

As far as justifying myself morally, I think it's pretty simple. If someone murders people in cold blood, rapes and murders them (ala chelsea king), or commits mass murder (like hitler or stalin), or anything to that degree of horror: they deserve to be killed outright.

Urian on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    what

Lucid on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I was never messing around with policy for this. In the page before I was, but that was really just a hypothetical idea to toss around.

As far as justifying myself morally, I think it's pretty simple. If someone murders people in cold blood, rapes and murders them (ala chelsea king), or commits mass murder (like hitler or stalin), or anything to that degree of horror: they deserve to be killed outright.

why

explain what reasoning you are using to reach this conclusion

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    NuckerNucker Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

And that's exactly what doesn't work when it comes to discussing the death penalty.
    Urian wrote:
    The flat out truth is that people who murder, rape, kill, and enjoy it do not deserve to live.

Does not jive with:
    Incenjucar wrote:
    There are a substantial number of people who wouldn't wish the death penalty even on people who murdered their own children, because their ethics aren't bent towards primitive reactions.

Urian, if your morals tell you that certain people do not deserve to live and deserve the death penalty, then right now you (that is, everyone who feels as you do) needs to address certain issues that make the death penalty a less practical and efficient solution than life imprisonment.

Cost, value of contributions from prisoners, the fact that the justice system is perfect and innocent people might be convicted and put to death (that's the big one, ethically). Just saying "people deserve to be put to death" doesn't work any more than "people deserve the right to live."

Nucker on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Every school shooter after that wouldn't think there's any consequence to killing people.

Protip: There's already a whole slew of consequences for crimes like that. ONE OF THEM IS THE DEATH PENALTY.
    People still commit crimes like that. You know why?
    1.)Many times murder is committed in the heat of the moment. In a knock-down-drag-out fight or moment of panic, people don't stop and think "I could get the chair for this."
    2.)Large scale murders such as the school shootings are committed by people who frequently have psychological problems with possible abuse/bullying/other social factors. They're also in no state to care about if they're gonna get the death penalty (and frequently kill themselves anyway.)

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010

And after you kill them.. their victims are still dead. What did you gain, here? Besides petty revenge.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    You, me, and every sane person knows what said person deserves,

Yeah, you don't speak for anyone but yourself. There are a substantial number of people who wouldn't wish the death penalty even on people who murdered their own children, because their ethics aren't bent towards primitive reactions. Some of us are civilized.

Now you're insulting me. You're probably the kind of guy who wears a beret and types this kind of shit on a macbook in a coffee shop, go fuck yourself.

I'm simply stating what thousands of years of history has shown. As for me, I'm actually fairly conservative, was a Republican until 2001, have been assaulted with weapons since grade school, and have been in situations where violent criminals could easily kill me.

I still have a strong enough grasp on societal function to know that revenge just makes things worse.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

How did you come to the conclusion that those things are what deserve to be killed?

By the way: this rabbit hole leads to how people decide to murder someone in cold blood, by the by.

kildy on
  • Options
    NuckerNucker Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    And after you kill them.. their victims are still dead. What did you gain, here? Besides petty revenge.

Less condescension, please. Shit like that pisses people off and doesn't get your point across.
    Incenjucar wrote:
    I'm simply stating what thousands of years of history has shown.

The death penalty has been around for thousands of years too. This isn't a simple issue, and this statement doesn't add anything useful to the discussion.
    Incenjucar wrote:
    I still have a strong enough grasp on societal function to know that revenge just makes things worse.

How do you know that?

Nucker on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Revenge leads to revenge. This is one of the reasons we're really not fond of vigilante justice.

kildy on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Nucker wrote: »

Less condescension, please. Shit like that pisses people off and doesn't get your point across.

Nah, it only pisses people off that are into petty revenge.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    "people deserve to be put to death" doesn't work any more than "people deserve the right to live."

This is pretty much how I feel about this topic. These are discussion and debate boards, so we revere logic, but you can't reason away values. Reason is a useful tool when value systems are not set, or the consequences of those values are up for discussion. The value of human life and emotional appeal of retributive justice strike close to the bone; sometimes there isn't much further down that you can go to find common ground.

lazegamer on
    I would download a car.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    So, do you not believe that humans have a right to live, then?

One would think that, at least, would be a point of consensus.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So, do you not believe that humans have a right to live, then?

One would think that, at least, would be a point of consensus.

The very fact that we're having a discussion about killing people, or that nations willingly go to war demonstrate that there is not a strong consensus that humans have an absolute right to life (and by absolute, I mean that this right cannot be revoked).

lazegamer on
    I would download a car.
  • Options
    Just Like ThatJust Like That Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    "Killing people is wrong. If you kill someone, I will fucking kill you."

Just Like That on
  • Options
    hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm against the death penalty in all cases unless its child killers and pedophiles. They need to die.

We wouldnt be having this death penalty debate if rehabilitation in the prison system worked and inmates left prison as capable and sensible members of society.

hadoken on
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    hadoken wrote: »
    I'm against the death penalty in all cases unless its child killers and pedophiles. They need to die.

We wouldnt be having this death penalty debate if rehabilitation in the prison system worked and inmates left prison as capable and sensible members of society.

What makes child killers and pedophiles different from the others? Is it that that's your limit of self-control and civility, or do you have rational (meaningful) reasons behind it?

Kamar on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I also like the implication that there is nothing that can ever be done to improve the rehabilitative function of the prison system.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I still want itunesisevil or whatever his name is to answer for the "dead people don't care" line, implying who cares about the dead since they're already dead. And to the condescending prick talking about "petty" revenge; try saying that again if you ever lose a friend or loved one to another person. You're just coming off as some pretentious high school kid who thinks he knows best because he uses the fucking internet.

Urian on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I still want itunesisevil or whatever his name is to answer for the "dead people don't care" line, implying who cares about the dead since they're already dead. And to the condescending prick talking about "petty" revenge; try saying that again if you ever lose a friend or loved one to another person. You're just coming off as some pretentious high school kid who thinks he knows best because he uses the fucking internet.

I have lost a friend (killed by his own dad) AND a loved one (shot to death) to other people. Executing them is still petty revenge. If you really want to play that angle.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Let's have a drink every time Urian makes an ad hom post.

Lucid on
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Lucid wrote: »
    Let's have a drink every time Urian makes an ad hom post.

I'm not interested in taking part in a mass suicide, so no thanks.

Kamar on
  • Options
    tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just to step in and say that a revenge killing is petty revenge. I'm pretty sure some awesome people in history have endorsed that idea or something close. Among them being Jesus and Ghandi.

tehmarken on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    hadoken wrote: »

Is just being a pedophile enough or do you have to have actually harmed a child?

If so, just rape or molestation?

What about someone who takes pictures of naked kids but otherwise doesn't harm them?

How about a guy who wanks to lolicon?

I mean where do you draw that line? Overly emotionally subjects like that have given us the worst laws, with the most abuse. It's the reason in the south a black teenager can go to prison for getting oral from a white girl - what makes a sex offender deserve to die but a drunk father who beats his kids just loses custody and gets a few months?

We need a robot to dispense justice on sex offenders, because humans don't seem capable of putting their upcoming election poll numbers aside long enough to use rationality rather than emotional pandering when writing those laws.

override367 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The death penalty has been around for thousands of years too. This isn't a simple issue, and this statement doesn't add anything useful to the discussion.

Go read about scapegoating, weregild, and the history of justice over the course of civilization's refinement, for starters.

Even the fucking Vikings knew that revenge made shit worse. The VIKINGS.

--

A friend of mine was beaten to death in an alley by some random whackjob back when I was in high school. Doesn't change that the death penalty is harmful to society.

--

Also I'm pretty sure that Urian is a troll.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I have lost a friend (killed by his own dad) AND a loved one (shot to death) to other people. Executing them is still petty revenge. If you really want to play that angle.

Would they feel the same way?

programjunkie on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm sure their last thoughts were, "Gee, I hope the person who is murdering me right now will get his 3 squares for the rest of his life."

Whoo?

Quid on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    If someone killed me I would hope that they would study the fucker to figure out why people would ever want to kill someone as lovable as myself.

I could charm a scorpion.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

probably not, but then, that's kind of the entire point of having a criminal justice system

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010

It wouldn't matter because I'm not into "honor killings" like some gangbanger

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I also like the implication that there is nothing that can ever be done to improve the rehabilitative function of the prison system.

I'm torn on this.

I don't at all believe that people are beyond redemption or rehabilitation, but the lion's share of criminals become so due to socio-economic environments, poor education, and/or mental illness, none of which the prison system is capable of fixing. Now, when people are released back into civilization, not only are they returning to those environments, they have the extra hurdle of being a ex-con.

At best, I think all we can hope for is a system that assesses the rehabilitative potential of inmates and provides for them an environment that prepares them for civilized life and provides them marketable skills that enable them to get jobs that pay better than violent crime does. Which, granted, would be a far cry from what we have now, but it's still not much.

To fully optimize the system, you would have to prevent released inmates from returning to their former lives and provide adequate placement in halfway houses to put them on the path for a better life. And the improbability and infeasibility of that scenario is high enough to be restated as functionally impossible.

Atomika on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I still want itunesisevil or whatever his name is to answer for the "dead people don't care" line, implying who cares about the dead since they're already dead.
    I'm not sure what you're having trouble with, friend. Dead people don't care. Have you been speaking with the dead, and you know something that I don't? Is there a Zombie Apocalypse that I missed on the news? Maybe I need to watch better news. I'm not going to get revenge for the dead. It won't please them. It won't help them. It won't bring them back.

In fact, our criminal court system's purpose isn't vengeance. You know that, right? Like, when you steal from someone, our system isn't there to get revenge for you, the victim. It's to protect and improve society as a whole. We protect it by temporarily incarcerating the individual, and we improve it by rehabilitating the individual.

As a random aside, the "what if it happened to your family though? What if someone murdered your mom and brothers and dad and your dog" thing is kind of silly. I think most of us have had that conversation with our loved ones before. When I talked with my mom about it I told her killing her killer wouldn't bring her back, and it wouldn't make my life or the world a better place. It'd just make me a small, petty, dishonest man. She wasn't happy, but she understood. So, if I told my own mom I wouldn't kill the person who killed her, what chance does Intarwebz Dude have? :P

iTunesIsEvil on