• Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Snork wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Get the Nexus One, the myTouch is a holdover from the last generation of phones (old slow CPU) and also it has a stupid name.

yeah, the name of your phone makes a HUGE difference...

the nexus is a nice phone. i have one myself. the problem is that you can't get it subsidized in the same way that you can with the mytouch slide.

does the nexus have a faster processor? sure. what difference does that make for a first time smartphone user, other than being able to brag about processor speed?

Uh... shit runs faster. That's what "faster processor" means. Are you going to tell me that there's no difference between the Core 2 Quad in my PC and an old Pentium 4, too?

I'm going to tell you that many users (especially first time smart phone owners) aren't going to percieve any difference at all

enough to make $530 a waste of their money.
    i have a droid, and it's my first smartphone

there is an extremely noticeable difference between that phone and my friend's incredible
    enough to make me feel :< about my droid when he has that thing out

especially since open-source customization shit and multitasking is the essence of android as a platform, having the extra GHz to slap all kinds of awesome widgets and background processes in there is DEFINITELY reason enough to opt for a faster processor
    even if they don't notice it right away, it'll become very apparent the more stuff you start using it for, and it'll hold up much longer as more elaborate and resource-taxing applications become commonplace

This is why SetCPU exists. A droid running at 800-1000MHz is overkill. It really is. So fluid.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm sorry, but I'm running a gimp Tilt2 (Well, gimped compared to current phones) and all it took was flashing a new rom and it's running well. I've played with the Droid and it runs well/nice and that's stock rom. I'm sure that an XDA Rom would make that think run like a champ on roids.

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I've been looking into backup applications for Android and I was wondering anyone had any suggestions. Sprite Backup and MyBackup Pro both look like good products, but has anyone tried either? Sprite Backup apparently can backup to Dropbox, which would be a nice feature to have, but several reviewers in the Market indicate the program isn't particularly reliable when restoring backups. MyBackup Pro has one advantage over Sprite, though: application backup (but I could always do Astro to back those up as I've already got it installed, anyway).

Ideally, any backup program would allow me to essentially clone the entire system memory to a backup file and save it somewhere, and I would be able to restore the phone's exact state if, say, it needed to be replaced under warranty or something.

I'd be using this to backup an Incredible if that makes any difference.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Has anyone played with any of the newer custom ROMs for the Sprint Hero? I'm finally upgrading from the android 1.5-based ROM I was running (modaco) to something based on the sprint 2.1 ruu android code. Wondering if anyone's tried some, happy with some or not happy with others?

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
  • Options
    Mega PlayboyMega Playboy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Elin wrote: »
    yalborap wrote: »
    So, my phone(Motorola Droid, obviously on Verizon) isn't sending MMS picture messages for some reason. I'm using Handcent, but it wouldn't work with Messaging, either.

What's the deal here?

I had the same problem. The phone for some strange reason doesn't send pic messages while on a wifi network. I don't know why and I am lazy (also reading dune series) to bug report it.

interesting. i've had the same problem, but i never checked if it was wifi related

i'll need to test this

My wifi's off. :?

I have no idea if it's the same thing but my friends Droid stopped receiving/sending all text messages at one point. It was doubly odd because her mother also had a Droid on a family plan and it was fine. Verizon had to actually reset the whole account to get it working again. I worked cell phone tech support at one point and believe me, I tried everything but a factory reset before I even called them.

For me that the only thing that was common to all the times I was not able to send MMS.

Mega Playboy on
    Trying to help out my step dad check out his youtube channel
  • Options
    icebergiceberg Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Alright, sorry if this is slightly off topic, but I just put in an order for a Nexus One (this will be my first foray into smart phones, eek), and I'm a bit nervous about this whole touch-screen business. Do all of you use a screen protector thing, or is that a bit obsessive? Is there a brand out there that stands above the rest in that regard? How about the rest of the case?

I'm usually okay with getting minor scratches on things, I tend to take really great care of my things, but I'm just curious if the Nexus One gets banged up really easily, or if the screen is delicate, etc.

Any help would be fantastic.

iceberg on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The screens for capacitive touchscreen phones are glass -- a screen protector won't hurt, but they tend to be quite hard to scratch.

People seem to really like the skins available here: http://www.bestskinsever.com/

I bought one for my Zune HD, but ended up taking it off a couple weeks later (I didn't like the feel of the skin's material). YMMV.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Most screens these days are using gorilla glass, which is ridiculously hard. It's not easy to scratch, that's for sure.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've got a protector on mine. Nothing fancy, just an inexpensive stick-on one.

yalborap on
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I saw a phone that was "ghost armored".

http://www.ghost-armor.com/

it was pretty cool, definitely made the phone feel more non-slip, however since it is a "spray on" protector logic would seem to indicate that if you scratch this plastic covering... you still have a scratched looking phone? regardless of whether or not the glass is actually scratched.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've got a protector on mine. Nothing fancy, just an inexpensive stick-on one.

Same. It just gives me a little more peace of mind.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    ScroffusScroffus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Has anyone else had an issue when trying to install other keyboards on a HTC Desire? I tried to install another one earlier in the week (I can't remember the name of it), went into settings and enabled but it never showed up (the default one stayed there). Just now I installed the swype beta and it shows up when I check keyboard/input settings. I can enable it here and then change options etc, but it never shows up (I tried typing a text and typing in a google search box). I tried to reboot phone but still no luck. Anyone know anything I can try?

Scroffus on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Scroffus wrote: »
    Has anyone else had an issue when trying to install other keyboards on a HTC Desire? I tried to install another one earlier in the week (I can't remember the name of it), went into settings and enabled but it never showed up (the default one stayed there). Just now I installed the swype beta and it shows up when I check keyboard/input settings. I can enable it here and then change options etc, but it never shows up (I tried typing a text and typing in a google search box). I tried to reboot phone but still no luck. Anyone know anything I can try?

Hold down in a text box and select Input Method -> Swype

Edit: By the way, any suggestions for a good clock replacement for the HTC weather one (using WeatherBug now)? I love the animations for weather, but why the fuck doesn't it show the current day's forecast? The current weather does me no good when it rains that afternoon and I don't have an umbrella :x

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    Scroffus wrote: »

Hold down in a text box and select Input Method -> Swype

Edit: By the way, any suggestions for a good clock replacement for the HTC weather one (using WeatherBug now)? I love the animations for weather, but why the fuck doesn't it show the current day's forecast? The current weather does me no good when it rains that afternoon and I don't have an umbrella :x

Aha, thank you, this works great.

Edit: testing swype now and it is works really well. It's amazing how accurate it seems to be, I'm sure there must be some black magic at work.

Scroffus on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeah I'm using swype now. It's pretty great, although double consonants are a little iffy. I just do a little loop on the letter to do it, and it works well enough.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Also using swype beta, awesome for English - though I do a lot of typing in Dutch as well for which it's terrible (lack of dictionary of course and a lot of repeated vowels in Dutch).

Alegis on
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    Yeah I'm using swype now. It's pretty great, although double consonants are a little iffy. I just do a little loop on the letter to do it, and it works well enough.

I find double letters work if you just pause on the letter you want repeating for a bit.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Does anyone know if you can store maps in google maps (or another app). I'm going to Sweden in a couple weeks and it would be handy to have some maps stored incase I get lost (I don't pay for the service to use data abroad)?

EDIT: Scratch that, found http://www.mapdroyd.com/ from a bit of googling. Has anyone got any experience with this or any other apps which do the same thing?

Scroffus on
  • Options
    Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Guys, my charger for my Nexus one gave out. Please tell me I can pick one up at Wal-Mart/Best Buy and don't actually have to order one.

It's just a standard microUSB cable.

I picked up a three pack for cheap and just keep micro usb cables near my work and home computers, and one with my laptop. I'm rarely without juice. Charging via USB can be painfully slow, but will get the job done.

Michael H on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Michael H wrote: »
    Guys, my charger for my Nexus one gave out. Please tell me I can pick one up at Wal-Mart/Best Buy and don't actually have to order one.

I picked up a three pack for cheap and just keep micro usb cables near my work and home computers, and one with my laptop. I'm rarely without juice. Charging via USB can be painfully, maddeningly, insanely, pathetically slow, but will get the job done.

3 hours my droid was hooked up to my laptop. 70% charge.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Michael H wrote: »

I picked up a three pack for cheap and just keep micro usb cables near my work and home computers, and one with my laptop. I'm rarely without juice. Charging via USB can be painfully, maddeningly, insanely, pathetically slow, but will get the job done.

3 hours my droid was hooked up to my laptop. 70% charge.

Heh... yeah. I have the docking station hooked up to my desktop at home and throw my Droid on there overnight. The key word there is overnight, because anything less than that and I won't get a full charge.

Once USB 3.0 comes around though, we'll be able to charge faster. The voltage stays the same but I believe the maximum amperage is greater than USB 2. So that's a good thing.

Michael H on
  • Options
    vegas-stevenvegas-steven Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I am waiting until later this week when they finally announce the droid x
    it lacks the front facing camera but I'm hoping the video it records edges out the EVO which only runs 20-24fps. I can deal without the video conferencing.

I've been real close to just getting a nexus one but it seems these new handsets are that much more future proof. Even though it's only been six months since the N1 came out. Seems like a year or more lol.

But since this will be my first non apple handset I want to justify my change over from the miserable AT&T service so I need the best money can buy without having to wait all summer for the fall updates which I'm sure will have 1.5ghz CPUs and 1 gig of ram

vegas-steven on
    Las Vegas Youtube page with lots of useless videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/vegassteven
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    well i must be hard on phone screens. i already have a small scratch on my nexus one screen.

a weird thign i have been coming across. sometimes i lose service to my phone. i think it is mostly when i dowload an app update. once i turn th ephone off and back on it is working again so maybe some apps require a reset?

also thought i read somewhere that they were going ot be releases a nexus 2 with a physical keyboard

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well that is a kick in the teeth.

Sometime between going to work and.. well.. about 10 minutes ago, my phone decided to do a full restart/reformat and the like.

... shit, now that I think about it, I wonder if it thinks I entered the wrong password too many times (I have it set up with an exchange activesync for work).

Now, this isn't a huge deal, it just means I lost all my text messages, probably all my pictures, and the like. Anyone have any clue how to check that, and maybe recover?

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Pics should still be saved on the SD card.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Pics should still be saved on the SD card.

It looks like they were, and it didn't nuke the SD card. I also think I did a save of my contacts around the time of the 2.1 update.

So mostly it is just going to be a matter of recovering my programs and the like. Losing the SMS messages isn't a huge deal.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You should all download DSI: Miami from the market

Alegis on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've got No Country For Old Men on my computer. A digital copy came with my Blu Ray I would love to watch that on my phone...

...which I can't buy because T-mobile's servers are down. The internet itself is cockblocking me from buying my fucking Nexus!

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Apps, contacts, and some settings are all saved to your Google account.

You let the phone sit for about a half hour after you format and everything should be good.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    T-Mobile's servers are busy or unreachable.

Goddammit.

Cantido on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Has anyone tried/used a HTC Aria? My Blackberry Curve is in the process of dieing (charging port got ruined this weekend, and I'm slowly running out of power), and I do not have the cash to drop on a high end Android phone or switch providers. I can get an Aria for $70 though, but I'm reading from reviews I can only install marketplace apps because ATT are a bunch of silly geese. Is that something that can be remedied with a custom ROM? Or is that even a make/break deal (I know nothing of the non-marketplace apps). The lack of a flash on the camera bothers me a little, but I don't take nearly enough cell phone pics to fret over it.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    dukederekdukederek Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    guys, I'm being driven insane. My Milestone (Droid) has developed some weird behaviour and I can't find any appropriate menu options to rectify it.

Basically, if the screen is off and I plug in headphones, "Music" (the app) starts playing, this wouldn't be such an issue except:
    1: I don't use Music as my media player.
    2: If I unplug headphones while the screen is off it starts playing through the external speaker.

I've managed to find a fix of just setting Music to play a short silent mp3 but it's still frustrating because I know it's happening and it seems like a cludge of a fix, ideally I want to uninstall Music but I've no idea how to do that.

dukederek on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    dukederek wrote: »
    guys, I'm being driven insane. My Milestone (Droid) has developed some weird behaviour and I can't find any appropriate menu options to rectify it.

Basically, if the screen is off and I plug in headphones, "Music" (the app) starts playing, this wouldn't be such an issue except:
    2: If I unplug headphones while the screen is off it starts playing through the external speaker.

I've managed to find a fix of just setting Music to play a short silent mp3 but it's still frustrating because I know it's happening and it seems like a cludge of a fix, ideally I want to uninstall Music but I've no idea how to do that.

My Milestone is similarly wanky, I'm not sure there is a fix but basically that's the big prob with Android, the music player is fucking shit.

theSquid on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

When on the actual, now-playing screen (no other screen in Music will work), press your menu button and choose settings. Make sure "Unpause on connect" is unchecked.

Edit: that setting may only be available in CyanogenMod. Not sure. It's worth trying, though.

gilrain on
  • Options
    dukederekdukederek Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    yeah, it's not there. i was pretty sure i remember seeing that screen once, think it got removed in 2.1? I'll wait to see if 2.2 helps otherwise I might have to delve into the exciting world of custom ROMs.

'few questions about that actually:
    • How likely am I to brick my phone?
    • Is it easy?
    • Is it like jailbreaking? (removes some vanilla functionality)

dukederek on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    yeah, it's not there. i was pretty sure i remember seeing that screen once, think it got removed in 2.1? I'll wait to see if 2.2 helps otherwise I might have to delve into the exciting world of custom ROMs.

'few questions about that actually:
    • How likely am I to brick my phone?
    • Is it easy?
    • Is it like jailbreaking? (removes some vanilla functionality)

The method I've found and used for rooting 2.1 was not nearly as easy as rooting 2.0.1, and, yes, you can brick you phone. It requires installing some Motorola software on your PC then using usb to flash the recovery mode. That is where you can brick your phone if you screw up.

here's the guide I used, check it out and see if you feel like you are up for it. There may be a newer ways to do it, but that's what I used.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So hey, after waiting for a long time, and using my own phone as the guinea pig many times, I finally decided that DangerSPL and the latest Cyanogen was safe enough to put onto my wife's G1.

I now own a brick.

On the plus side, I gave her my G1 and bought a Nexus One with the money I had saved up for PAX. So a net upgrade, but still annoying as hell.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Anyone here up with the play with UK pay monthly plans? I'm up for renewal this month with the plan expiring next month and I'm looking at options. I'm currently with T-Mobile and pay about 27.50 inc VAT a month on an 18th month plan, usually 5 quid a month more on roaming as I travel regularly. I rarely use anywhere close to my text/call allowance and I think I'll be using more internet and less other stuff as time goes on especially with a smartphone. I also would prefer an 18th month plan as smart phones seem to have a faster upgrade cycle. While T-Mobile have been ok for me, they haven't been super helpful and I don't mind changing providers

Ideally I'd want to get the HTC Desire but I don't seem to get be able to get anything from T-Mobile that is below 30/24 months. Anything less than that gets pretty steep pretty quickly. They seem to want an upfront cash payment of 350 or so for a 25 quid plan - over 600 to 750 total cost of plan. Having looked at a couple of aggregator websites they seem to say a plan that I'd like can be had for 500-550 but via agencies for the network, rather than the network, which worries me a little.

Any suggestions as to what I do?

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Any T-mobile guys having trouble getting a Nexus? It still says T-mobile's servers are busy or unreachable.

Cantido on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    i bought mine directly through google

mts on
    camo_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.