• Options
    SpamSpam Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Kalkino wrote: »

Any suggestions as to what I do?

Check out these 2 sites for some of the best contract deals I've seen:

http://www.buymobilephones.net
    http://www.dialaphone.co.uk/phone/HTC_Desire/ *
    Both are retailers instead of agencies so your contract is usually with the networks themselves.

Also, you can phone up T-mobile, and request a PAC code - they'll usually stick you through to the retentions department who'll generally offer you a sweeter deal to try and keep you as a customer - just mention one of the deals available to you online, then don't budge on the type of phone and contract that you are after.

* A lot of the contract deals on this site are X months half price by redemption - don't bother with these unless you are determined to get your money back - they usually involve posting off copies of your invoices each month for the latter X months of your contract and waiting on a cheque coming back. They are usually a pain in the arse to chase up.

Spam on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Whilst I'm here...

I've had my HTC desire for about a month now, and I'm convinced that at somepoint I found a app data useage screen in the settings somewhere, similar to the battery useage one.

ie. it listed all the apps in order of bandwidth useage with a nice wee coloured bar to denote % used of total, but it didn't actually show a ul/dl MB value.

I don't think that it wasn't an app off marketplace since I already have Netcounter installed, but it may be one that that got tested then uninstalled. Pretty sure it was a submenu off one of the settings screens tho.

Anyone have any idea where I can find it again?

Spam on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Spam wrote: »

Any suggestions as to what I do?

Check out these 2 sites for some of the best contract deals I've seen:

http://www.buymobilephones.net
    http://www.dialaphone.co.uk/phone/HTC_Desire/ *
    Both are retailers instead of agencies so your contract is usually with the networks themselves.

Also, you can phone up T-mobile, and request a PAC code - they'll usually stick you through to the retentions department who'll generally offer you a sweeter deal to try and keep you as a customer - just mention one of the deals available to you online, then don't budge on the type of phone and contract that you are after.

* A lot of the contract deals on this site are X months half price by redemption - don't bother with these unless you are determined to get your money back - they usually involve posting off copies of your invoices each month for the latter X months of your contract and waiting on a cheque coming back. They are usually a pain in the arse to chase up.

Thanks for the heads up. I thought there must be something up with those deals.
    What is a PAC code, by the way? Is it a 'porting authorisation code'?

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Chrome2Phone is legit

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    What is a PAC code, by the way? Is it a 'porting authorisation code'?

Yep, basically for transferring your phone number from one network to another.

Spam on
  • Options
    vegas-stevenvegas-steven Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Anyone else really anticipating the announcement tomorrow regarding the new Droid? or are we already all happy with an EVO.

-- Unrelated:

How hard is it to "brick" an android device, and why are you needing root access, is this just to bypass what the carrier will allow you to install on the device?
    i have heard people say "well so and so network wont allow for android 2.xx on their phones" so that is a concern as an iphone user who is switching to an andoid phone in the next few months.

i could care less about removing an amazon music store app or vzw store app... so what is rooting.

and yeah.. are there any situations where a carrier has FUCKED the consumers with not allowing a device to be updated?
    I am with att and am moving away frm them because of network issues (im in las vegas)

vegas-steven on
    Las Vegas Youtube page with lots of useless videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/vegassteven
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Whilst I'm here...

I've had my HTC desire for about a month now, and I'm convinced that at somepoint I found a app data useage screen in the settings somewhere, similar to the battery useage one.

ie. it listed all the apps in order of bandwidth useage with a nice wee coloured bar to denote % used of total, but it didn't actually show a ul/dl MB value.

I don't think that it wasn't an app off marketplace since I already have Netcounter installed, but it may be one that that got tested then uninstalled. Pretty sure it was a submenu off one of the settings screens tho.

The app Spare Parts has quick access to it, alternatively if you dial *#*#4636#*#*, it'll boot up a battery history. I also found it in the settings once, but forgot where it was.

I'm pretty sure that's what you mean, at least.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Nexus One came in today.

I didn't want one before I had one. Now I don't know if I'll ever be able to live without it.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    No Google Voice opening to all US users news on here yet? I just got my number, tested out the voicemail and got the app for my phone. Its pretty sweet.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm still searching in vain for number-words that I can get

I guess the number attrition in Omaha is really that bad for us to be getting another area code

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I just rigged it to work as my voicemail, no Google Voice number.

Still, it's pretty sweet. Who needs to pay for Verizon's crappy visual voicemail just to get out of the dark ages? Not this guy!

yalborap on
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Anyone else really anticipating the announcement tomorrow regarding the new Droid? or are we already all happy with an EVO.

-- Unrelated:

How hard is it to "brick" an android device, and why are you needing root access, is this just to bypass what the carrier will allow you to install on the device?
    i have heard people say "well so and so network wont allow for android 2.xx on their phones" so that is a concern as an iphone user who is switching to an andoid phone in the next few months.

i could care less about removing an amazon music store app or vzw store app... so what is rooting.

and yeah.. are there any situations where a carrier has FUCKED the consumers with not allowing a device to be updated?
    I am with att and am moving away frm them because of network issues (im in las vegas)

Rooting is necessary to install a custom ROM on the phone, which basically allows for a third-party version of the OS. Rooted phones allow access to certain aspects that are off-limits to the standard user, such as overclocking the CPU or tweaking other core aspects of the OS. It can also allow you to install newer versions of Android before they're officially released, meaning you aren't at the behest of your carrier/manufacturer for the latest updates. With the guides available now, it's pretty uncommon to brick a phone in the process, although as evidenced by the poster above, it apparently does still happen.

As for the OS updates: it's not that a particular carrier says that they won't allow a particular version. The update process goes something like this: Google finishes development of a new version of Android and releases it. The individual phones' manufacturers (and carriers, to a lesser extent) are then responsible for making the necessary adjustments to the new version to get it to run on their model. Once this is done, the carrier pushes the update over the air. What some people complain about is that certain models have seen pretty dismal service for that last part and seemed to take a bit longer than necessary to update. This issue is supposed to lessen, as Google has announced that with 2.2, they're moving away from these incremental updates. This should make it easier on manufacturers, and HTC (for example) has said that all their high-end phones will be updated to 2.2 before year's end.

rndmhero on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    Has anyone been able to determine what keeps Google from deactivating your Google number? Just keep a number attached to it?

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    They need to roll out Google Voice to other countries. :(

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    Whilst I'm here...

The app Spare Parts has quick access to it, alternatively if you dial *#*#4636#*#*, it'll boot up a battery history. I also found it in the settings once, but forgot where it was.

I'm pretty sure that's what you mean, at least.

That's the one! Cheers :)

Spam on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Since water damage turned my blackberry into a paper weight, I'm holding off till I see the release date and full specs on the Droid2 to buy anything. I'm hoping the Droid2 is my next step. Does anyone know what time the announcement is supposed to happen?

Edit: 10am PT

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    dukederekdukederek Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    damn guys, Swype is awesome. I finally got round to sticking it on after seeing a lot of good words earlier in this/last thread.

I may never open the physical keyboard again. (until the beta runs out)

Oh, thinking of the beta, I got my email immediately so I think the congestion's died down a bit.

dukederek on
  • Options
    Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    No Google Voice opening to all US users news on here yet? I just got my number, tested out the voicemail and got the app for my phone. Its pretty sweet.

Heh, one of my co-workers was annoyed that he couldn't get an invite and bought one off of eBay last week for $7. Now he's even more annoyed.

Michael H on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Oh hey, Froyo is awesome.

Also RE: Bricked Phones...It's actually very hard to truly brick your phone by just rooting it, however doing things like changing the bootloader (the SPL) can definitely brick it. Installing an alternative firmware will generally, at worst, leave you unable to boot into anything but recovery mode, at which time you can reflash the device with your base firmware. That's admittedly a pain, but much less serious than the bricking that occurred to me.

jonxp on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I can't figure out from all the write-ups. Are they announcing the Droid X only today, or the Droid X and Droid2 both? I'm trying to replace my blackberry which is used for business as well and don't want a touch-screen only phone; I want to know whether I'm holding out for a Droid2, or just picking up another BB.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    they've already announced the droid x

so they could be just doing a full 'reveal' of that phone (which would be pretty underwhelming)

or they could pull out both

and the droid shadow might make an appearance too, who knows

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    yalborap wrote: »

Still, it's pretty sweet. Who needs to pay for Verizon's crappy visual voicemail just to get out of the dark ages? Not this guy!
    Wait, wait... you can use the voicemail part with your regular cell number? Without making people use your Google Voice number? That'd be great! Please describe?

I'm currently paying the visual voicemail fee for Verizon's shit app, and would love to dodge it for something better. I've held off on switching to GV because, from what I can tell, it's impossible to text through it using Handcent... you have to use the GV app. I won't make my friends remember something like: "For voice calls, call this number. For texts, use this number. Easy!" :P

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    gilrain wrote: »
    yalborap wrote: »

Wait, wait... you can use the voicemail part with your regular cell number? Without making people use your Google Voice number? That'd be great! Please describe?

I'm currently paying the visual voicemail fee for Verizon's shit app, and would love to dodge it for something better. I've held off on switching to GV because, from what I can tell, it's impossible to text through it using Handcent... you have to use the GV app. I won't make my friends remember something like: "For voice calls, call this number. For texts, use this number. Easy!" :P

This is for Android 2.1+. Check out your settings, call settings, and see if it has the option to change your voice mail service there.

jonxp on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    jonxp wrote: »
    This is for Android 2.1+. Check out your settings, call settings, and see if it has the option to change your voice mail service there.
    Ha, well that was... intuitive. Thanks! I think I've got that set up, now. Just need to wait for someone to call me and leave a voicemail. I do 99% of my communication through texts. :P

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

so they could be just doing a full 'reveal' of that phone (which would be pretty underwhelming)

I thought they were just announcing the street date

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I want a street date for the Droid 2.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I've been getting annoyed by the touchscreen on my Droid, lately. I'm not exactly sure when it started, or even if it's maybe always been this way, or if it was possibly introduced when I switched to CyanogenMod, but...

A lot of the time, I have to push a button twice, second time harder, to actually activate it. I don't think it's a hardware issue with my touchscreen, because a light/natural touch visually activates the button (highlights, outlines, whatever), but doesn't actually activate it. Then I push harder, and it works. I guess my natural touch is too light, or something... but it happens a lot, so it's pretty annoying.

Is there any way to adjust this? Does anyone know why there seems to be two levels of sensitivity -- a light one to visually activate, a harder one to really activate? It's driving me nuts.

gilrain on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I thought they were just announcing the street date

could be anything, they just said there'd be a droid related announcement...

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I've been getting annoyed by the touchscreen on my Droid, lately. I'm not exactly sure when it started, or even if it's maybe always been this way, or if it was possibly introduced when I switched to CyanogenMod, but...

A lot of the time, I have to push a button twice, second time harder, to actually activate it. I don't think it's a hardware issue with my touchscreen, because a light/natural touch visually activates the button (highlights, outlines, whatever), but doesn't actually activate it. Then I push harder, and it works. I guess my natural touch is too light, or something... but it happens a lot, so it's pretty annoying.

Is there any way to adjust this? Does anyone know why there seems to be two levels of sensitivity -- a light one to visually activate, a harder one to really activate? It's driving me nuts.

I've had similar issues on both the stock and custom roms. Though, with the most recent Jrummy I haven't noticed it quite as much. Also have problems with it accurately detecting finger location. It's why I bailed on swype. I saw an article on which phones have the best touch sensors. Droid preformed poorly.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I've had similar issues on both the stock and custom roms. Though, with the most recent Jrummy I haven't noticed it quite as much. Also have problems with it accurately detecting finger location. It's why I bailed on swype. I saw an article on which phones have the best touch sensors. Droid preformed poorly.
    Hmm... yeah, I saw that same article, but didn't pay it a lot of mind. My accuracy has always seemed acceptable, and I use Swype with no problems. However, I did a little test just now.

It suddenly occurred to me that you can make a desktop OS do something similar by holding the mouse button down over a button, then sliding the cursor off the button. The button will depress, then lift, without activating. This is familiar behavior.

I tested it on my Droid. If I press a button, then move off the button without lifting my finger, the button activated without effect, just like on the desktop OS. And it looks exactly like what happens when my problem described above strikes.

Now, combine this with something else... occasionally, when touch-scrolling, the screen will suddenly scroll way too far and fast for my gesture...

I think what must be happening is that, sometimes, the touchscreen/software will lose track of your press or misinterpret the press to have jumped. If you're pressing a button at the time, the "cursor" will effectively jump away, visually activating the button but not fully activating it, just like on a desktop OS. If you happen to be scrolling when it jumps, then it'll interpret that as a sudden, vigorous flick-scroll.

This matches my experiences and lines up with the fact that the Droid has an inaccurate touchscreen. I would suggest that the seeming accuracy in, say, Swype is probably just skillfull coding in of error tolerances and such. Like, in verbal code: if you see a jump of more than this tolerance, ignore it because it's probably a touchscreen error. If only the rest of the OS were as clever. :(

Edit: just confirmed this. There's a free app on the market called MultiTouch Visualizer that simply draws a crosshairs on any touch, adding a second crosshairs for multitouch, etc. Very nice for testing screen accuracy. Mine is actually very accurate... accept that very occasionally, I'll press, the crosshairs will appear, and then jump about an inch away very briefly. Enough to fuck up a button push or a scroll, though! I cleaned my screen thoroughly, and the rate of jumps dropped dramatically, but not altogether.

I conclude that it is a fault of the Droid touchscreen. However, it can be reduced by a thorough cleaning. (I used an alcohol-based eyeglass cleaner.)

gilrain on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Why did I think "Easy Spirit Level" meant a joke app based on Dragon Ball Z or Bleach?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

By the signage from liveblogging at the event, it looks like they're just doing Droid X today. Which means Droid 2 probably won't drop in July. BOOOOOOOO. Looks like I may just be getting a blackberry.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Does anyone have a link to a good breakdown, even if unconfirmed, of the two new Droids? I'd read so many rumors that I've lost track of what to be expecting.

rndmhero on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    This is the live feed to the Droid X announcement they're doing now. Just google Droid 2 and check news links for the rumors on it.

Edit: http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/23/live-from-verizons-motorola-droid-x-event/?sort=newest&refresh=0

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Man, absolutely nothing about the Droid 2. I generally hate touch-screen only phones, but it's time for a new phone and I want a fancypants Droid. Can I bring myself to unhate touch-screens enough to get a Droid X?

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Man, absolutely nothing about the Droid 2. I generally hate touch-screen only phones, but it's time for a new phone and I want a fancypants Droid. Can I bring myself to unhate touch-screens enough to get a Droid X?

SWYPE.

And the Droid X looks pretty hot. Not hot enough to make me feel envious, but still hot.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I haven't tried swype. My problem right now is my large man fingers always overshadow the key I'm trying to hit and hit a different key. This results in my typing at about 1/8 the rate I type on a qwerty BB.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I haven't tried swype. My problem right now is my large man fingers always overshadow the key I'm trying to hit and hit a different key. This results in my typing at about 1/8 the rate I type on a qwerty BB.

Swype is fairly forgiving insomuch as you don't have to hit right in the center of the key for it to register. It's looking at the whole word you're trying to type, and tries to predict the proper letters from that (it also gives you a popup with alternates similar to what you were attempting to type).

Takes a bit of getting used to (you really have to think about your spelling), but I've found it to be a lot faster than the hunt-and-peck approach I normally use on portrait-style touch keyboards.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, I figure it'll be faster than normal touch keyboards. How will it compare to a Blackberry QWERTY keyboard, though?

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    motorola cliq is so god damn laggy

i even have advanced task killer

but sometimes if i just want to do something like view an SMS it takes 20-30 seconds to even open.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.