Options

The [Android] Thread: We like portable shower buttons

• Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Has anyone else had issues with certain apps not showing up in the store?

I've got a Nexus, and I've had this problem since I manually updated to the 2.2 build that was out there (non-rooted). I've done multiple hard resets and updated to the second 2.2 build, but nothing has fixed this. An example is that Drop 7 and the Mabilo Ringtone app both no longer show up for me in the marketplace.

I realize rooting might fix this, but it also might void the warranty (oh, HTC) and if the problem ISN'T soled, I'd need to invoke that warranty.

Evander on
  • Options
    PuddlesworthPuddlesworth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Kalkino wrote: »
    So the Samsung Galaxy S - any thoughts? It isn't on the market here yet but it will be soon

I'll be looking to get a new phone in August and right now I've either thinking evo or t-mobile galaxy s (apparently renamed the vibrant ). So hopefully on monday more will be revealed and hopefully it will be out before I need a new phone.

On paper it and in pictures it looks awesome but I wanna wait until I see more before deciding. Although I'm a little bummed that it might not have the front facing camera that non-US versions have.

Puddlesworth on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The thing about the Galaxy S is it has undeniably sexy hardware, but I have absolutely no faith whatsoever that Samsung will do a good job (hell, I don't even have faith that they'll do a half-assed job) of supporting it. They have a proven track record of failing to support anything they put out there.

It's powerful enough under the hood to take a wait-and-see approach. See if either they show strong support for it within the next few months, or see if the community picks up Samsung's slack.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Has anyone seen this?
    VoIP company Rebtel is launching a new version of its Android app that allows users to make free Android-to-Android international calls between more than 50 countries.

While the international part of the call is free, the caller and recipient still may have to pay for local calling minutes determined by their mobile phone plans. The app runs in the background and will intercept users making a more expensive long distance calls by automatically converting the number to a cheap local number. So when the user dials an international number from the native Android dial pad, or selects a contact with an international number from the address book, the call is automatically intercepted and routed via Rebtel instead of their carrier. Also since Rebtel works on the standard cellular network using local phone numbers, no WiFi is needed to make calls.

Pretty nifty.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The thing about the Galaxy S is it has undeniably sexy hardware, but I have absolutely no faith whatsoever that Samsung will do a good job (hell, I don't even have faith that they'll do a half-assed job) of supporting it. They have a proven track record of failing to support anything they put out there.

It's powerful enough under the hood to take a wait-and-see approach. See if either they show strong support for it within the next few months, or see if the community picks up Samsung's slack.

The company does worry me a little, whereas I may trust HTC or even Apple (!) not to mess up a smartphone I don't feel that for Samsung as yet.

Also - video call on a phone? This is not something that I have any interest in getting or using. In fact, it was something that I've had access to in the past as I've had phones/plans in both NZ and the UK where that service was pushed heavily - this was back in the day when the networks were trying to create the market after blowing all that cash on 3G. It seems now that outside of smartphones the networks/makers have stopped emphasising the video call option. Will the new smartphones actually create that market where the networks previously failed? I don't think they will

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Video calls just isn't something that I'd see myself using more than a few times. Those uses would be pretty great, but for the most part just voice calling and maybe MMS if I wanted to show something to someone does the same job without feeling quite as forced.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just because I feel like its appropriate to vent here, after getting the Evo a week or so back, as nifty as the iPhone 4 is - if I have to have one more goddamn person or website go on and on and on about how "revolutionary" FaceTime is, I am going to fucking punch someone.

Ive been using Qik to do EXACTLY THIS, plus live web streaming to a personal website.
    Ive been using FRING to do MORE THAN FACETIME CAN - video calls over WiFi AND 3G, Video calls to PC's, other phones - SKYPE.

And Im not even an Apple hater. I had an iPhone. I have a iMac. I love it. But seriously, what? Is this what I sounded like 3 years ago before I actually started looking into what other devices can do?

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Apple's always had nice hardware (random glitches aside, sorry lefties) but their software announcements this year outside of little snippets like iMovie were all playing catchup with Android. It was nice to see.

JAEF on
  • Options
    Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Evander wrote: »

I've got a Nexus, and I've had this problem since I manually updated to the 2.2 build that was out there (non-rooted). I've done multiple hard resets and updated to the second 2.2 build, but nothing has fixed this. An example is that Drop 7 and the Mabilo Ringtone app both no longer show up for me in the marketplace.

I realize rooting might fix this, but it also might void the warranty (oh, HTC) and if the problem ISN'T soled, I'd need to invoke that warranty.

Could it be that those apps just aren't available for 2.2 yet? I know there was a little bit of a kerfluffle when some paid apps weren't available for 2.2 users yet because the creators of the apps hadn't updated their products to be compatible. You may just have to wait until the apps have a 2.2 friendly version.

Michael H on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Are there any alternatives to playing flash media?

Yesterday at home I was attempting to watch a YouTube video, which on the Evo opened up Flash Player, and it was real blocky and grainy.

I then loaded the same video on my iPhone and it worked fine, and looked really crisp.

What gives? They both were using Wi-Fi and had the same signal strength, so it would have to be the player. I know my Evo is capable of displaying nicer video than my iPhone 2G, so I don't get it.

Even making the video native resolution, it was still significantly more washed out and pixelated on the Evo.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    Has anyone seen this?
    VoIP company Rebtel is launching a new version of its Android app that allows users to make free Android-to-Android international calls between more than 50 countries.

While the international part of the call is free, the caller and recipient still may have to pay for local calling minutes determined by their mobile phone plans. The app runs in the background and will intercept users making a more expensive long distance calls by automatically converting the number to a cheap local number. So when the user dials an international number from the native Android dial pad, or selects a contact with an international number from the address book, the call is automatically intercepted and routed via Rebtel instead of their carrier. Also since Rebtel works on the standard cellular network using local phone numbers, no WiFi is needed to make calls.

Pretty nifty.

How exactly does that work? What do the local numbers that they're routing the international calls do that makes them free?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I assume the local numbers are from Rebtel and they route the call over the internet.

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Michael H wrote: »

Could it be that those apps just aren't available for 2.2 yet? I know there was a little bit of a kerfluffle when some paid apps weren't available for 2.2 users yet because the creators of the apps hadn't updated their products to be compatible. You may just have to wait until the apps have a 2.2 friendly version.

yeah, at first i only noticed paid apps, but there are some free ones that don't show up either.

hmmmm....

is it possible to downgrade my phone back to 2.1 without rooting it? It has other issues, so I need to try to get HTC to do a warranty swap anyway, so I don't want to mess with rooting, and have them claim that rooting caused my issues.

Evander on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Are there any alternatives to playing flash media?

Yesterday at home I was attempting to watch a YouTube video, which on the Evo opened up Flash Player, and it was real blocky and grainy.

I then loaded the same video on my iPhone and it worked fine, and looked really crisp.

What gives? They both were using Wi-Fi and had the same signal strength, so it would have to be the player. I know my Evo is capable of displaying nicer video than my iPhone 2G, so I don't get it.

Even making the video native resolution, it was still significantly more washed out and pixelated on the Evo.

If you were watching the video in browser, I've noticed that it's less than stellar still. But it is beta still. With you tube videos you can click the square in the top left (i think) of the video and it will open in the Youtube app

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    gilrain wrote: »
    Yeah, pretty much any Android user's life, thanks largely to people (paid bloggers) who have to churn out "tips and tricks" constantly before they really know what they're doing themselves, is:

Get phone > excitedly read some blog posts > begin vicious cycle of obsessing over memory, task killers, etc. > forget more and more to bother with tasks > realize the phone is running as well, if not better (fewer broken widgets, force closes) > realize that the grouchy oldbies who said Android handles memory automatically were right > become a grumpy oldbie.

Incidentally, Astro is good, but Estrongs has a less annoying UI (looks/works more like a traditional, desktop file explorer), does everything Astro does, and has built in, well-integrated Windows (SMB) networking, so you can browse your local network shares as easily as your SD card. But yeah, they both work fine for file chores and closing programs. ;P

Thanks for the suggestion on estrongs, I am liking it so far, especially the SMB stuff.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    gilrain wrote: »
    Yeah, pretty much any Android user's life, thanks largely to people (paid bloggers) who have to churn out "tips and tricks" constantly before they really know what they're doing themselves, is:

Get phone > excitedly read some blog posts > begin vicious cycle of obsessing over memory, task killers, etc. > forget more and more to bother with tasks > realize the phone is running as well, if not better (fewer broken widgets, force closes) > realize that the grouchy oldbies who said Android handles memory automatically were right > become a grumpy oldbie.

Incidentally, Astro is good, but Estrongs has a less annoying UI (looks/works more like a traditional, desktop file explorer), does everything Astro does, and has built in, well-integrated Windows (SMB) networking, so you can browse your local network shares as easily as your SD card. But yeah, they both work fine for file chores and closing programs. ;P

Thanks for the suggestion on estrongs, I am liking it so far, especially the SMB stuff.
    Yeah, Astro's SMB pluggin is crap. I have both installed because I had Astro first. I use ES mostly these days.
    I just wished they could handle root access. :?

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    If you're using the YouTube app to watch videos, hit menu->HQ or more the more options button and high quality should be an option. All videos look absolutely gorgeous on my Hero. Hell you can even get YouTube Ripper and download the HQ files straight to your phone.

JAEF on
  • Options
    keggheadkegghead Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Forgive me if this is obvious, but I just got my first Android phone (Sprint/Evo). I browsed the market for a bit and didn't see any voip based applications, I'm looking for one to handle international long distance. It seems skype is verizon only for now? Are there any apps for non-verizon people?

kegghead on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    kegghead wrote: »
    Forgive me if this is obvious, but I just got my first Android phone (Sprint/Evo). I browsed the market for a bit and didn't see any voip based applications, I'm looking for one to handle international long distance. It seems skype is verizon only for now? Are there any apps for non-verizon people?

Sipdroid might be what you're looking for (I've never used it myself, though).

Daedalus on
  • Options
    keggheadkegghead Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Thanks, I'll check it out. Just looking for something a little more "smart" than the Skype To Go option.

kegghead on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm somewhat curious, as I've been thinking of getting a phone that uses the same OS as the Android. Has to be AT&T, so I'm wondering if anyone knows what phones they have to offer that uses it? I've found two so far from their website, and apparently you -can- use the new phone Google put out with that service, you'd just need to fork over $500 bucks to buy it...

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    PuddlesworthPuddlesworth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Arthil wrote: »
    I'm somewhat curious, as I've been thinking of getting a phone that uses the same OS as the Android. Has to be AT&T, so I'm wondering if anyone knows what phones they have to offer that uses it? I've found two so far from their website, and apparently you -can- use the new phone Google put out with that service, you'd just need to fork over $500 bucks to buy it...

So there's the backflip and the aria. I've only heard bad things about the backflip. The aria looks like a decent last gen android phone (only its actually quite new) that might be okay but it's nowhere near other current android phones. The samsung captive should be coming out soonish and looks pretty nice but as people have mentioned in this thread, samsung doesn't have such a good track record of keeping their phones supported.

Puddlesworth on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    are there good media players for androd? something that enables me to watch avis without converting them?

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    TheFid2TheFid2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    are there good media players for androd? something that enables me to watch avis without converting them?

you're in luck!

Rockplayer just entered a limited public beta. It runs avis and it runs them gorgeously. I loaded my Droid up with season 1 of The Drew Carey Show and a few movies and it works amazingly well.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/53930-rockplayer-beta-now-public-avi-playback-galore.html

TheFid2 on
    HillisSig2.jpg
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    These awesome phones that are suppose to be coming out in a couple months that are comparable to the Iphone 4g...what are they?

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    TheFid2 wrote: »

you're in luck!

Rockplayer just entered a limited public beta. It runs avis and it runs them gorgeously. I loaded my Droid up with season 1 of The Drew Carey Show and a few movies and it works amazingly well.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/53930-rockplayer-beta-now-public-avi-playback-galore.html

That's just great. Bye bye handbrake

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    As far as current/upcoming handsets to compete with the iphone4:

With a roughly similar form factor the iphone, there's the samsung galaxy S.

With a physical keyboard, there's the droid 2.

With a larger form factor, there's either the evo 4g (currently available) or the droid x.

All of these are rocking 1ghz processors, and somewhere around 512MB of RAM. However, the processor on the galaxy S is probably more power efficient than the others, while the droid 2/droid X will have stronger better GPU capabilities.

The Galaxy S's screen is awesome... not quite as high DPI as the iphone 4's display, but really really awesome. The droid 2/droid x probably have similar screens to the droid 1, which was also awesome. This is an area where you need to make your own decision as to what is important. The ultrahigh resolution of the iPhone 4 makes reading small text quite easy, but it's really not a huge leap over what Samsung's super AMOLED screen or the screens they use on the droid can offer. Here's some articles with comparison screenshots:
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/26/iphone-4-vs-galaxy-s-part-deux-hd-video-playback-video/
    http://gizmodo.com/5571937/test-notes-iphone-screen (this article furiously masturbates over the iphone 4 screen; ignore the prose and take a look at the comparison screenshot that includes a droid x, ipad, and iphone4)

Battery life is an area where the iphone4 is probably unbeaten, and I don't think they will be for a while. The big equalizer here is that you can always get a larger battery or carry around two batteries for an android phone. Notably, the Galaxy S should have pretty good battery life (due to a combination of an AMOLED screen, the A4 hummingbird processor used, and because it doesn't have a ridiculous form factor like the Droid X or the Evo 4G). The Evo 4G has abysmal battery life, while Verizon says the Droid X will have comparable battery life to the Droid 1 (which isn't bad at all, really).

Finally, on the software front -- all these handsets are currently on android 2.1, and their respective manufacturers have said they want all these phones to be patched to 2.2. This means a bunch of improvements, including the ability to handle Adobe Flash -- on an on-demand basis if you're concerned about it eating up your battery, as well as a JIT compiler that should make the phones do just about everything faster -- making for better battery life as a consequence. However, neither Motorola, HTC, or Samsung have good records at getting these patches out officially in a speedy manner. Samsung probably has the worst record, though -- they are just simply terrible about supporting phones they've already put to market. Each phone has a different manufacturer skinning process applied. HTC's sense is quite good, Motorola's Motoblur was terrible but they're promising a new version that's less intrusive. Samsung's TouchWiz 3.0 is pretty bad.

All of them are offering additional keyboard options that improve on the base Android keyboard, but none of the options are quite as good as the iOS keyboard. That said, options like Swype do very interesting things which the iPhone will never see.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    TheFid2TheFid2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Battery technology needs to catch up to smartphones already. We should be able to last a whole day of heavy use on one charge by now

TheFid2 on
    HillisSig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I just keep reading HTC Vision rumors and salivating.

Looking forward to laughing at everyone who locked themselves into a Sprint contract. Mostly out of intense hatred for Sprint.

Evander on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    TheFid2 wrote: »

you're in luck!

god damn HOT

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh my god, rockplayer is amazing. It runs on magic and awesome, I swear.

yalborap on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So a friend is mailing me his G1 since he changed services, and I'm currently battling with Verizon to change my service to T-Mobile. This is my first smartphone and I already have my T-Mobile plan all thought out, but is there anything specific about the G1 itself that I should know?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    These awesome phones that are suppose to be coming out in a couple months that are comparable to the Iphone 4g...what are they?

Hardware wise, minus the screen and gyroscope, the Nexus One is already comparable to the iPhone 4. The newer android phones are just getting more powerful.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    So a friend is mailing me his G1 since he changed services, and I'm currently battling with Verizon to change my service to T-Mobile. This is my first smartphone and I already have my T-Mobile plan all thought out, but is there anything specific about the G1 itself that I should know?
    It's got the weirdest hinge ever. So weird.

Other than that not really. Fuck around with it and you'll get used to it.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I believe I've traced my issue to the fingerprint readout in the build.prop file

anyone have any idea how to edit build.prop on an unrooted phone? I know the strng that I want to plug in there (google/passion/passion/mahimahi:2.1-update1/ERE27/24178:user/release-keys), but Astro won't change permissions on the file (currently restricted), and I can't figure out how to get my PC to browse the phone memory, instead of just the sdcard memory.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I believe I've traced my issue to the fingerprint readout in the build.prop file

anyone have any idea how to edit build.prop on an unrooted phone? I know the strng that I want to plug in there (google/passion/passion/mahimahi:2.1-update1/ERE27/24178:user/release-keys), but Astro won't change permissions on the file (currently restricted), and I can't figure out how to get my PC to browse the phone memory, instead of just the sdcard memory.
    Don't think you can fuck around with that without rooting..

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Guys, just wanted to state further, that on one night with moderate use, an overnight with nothing but sync and general power,.and then a weekend with a lot of app searching and web use, my evo just went 26.5 hours on one charger before hitting 10% and asking to be charged. That's pretty damn awesome.

mxmarks on
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Guys, just wanted to state further, that on one night with moderate use, an overnight with nothing but sync and general power,.and then a weekend with a lot of app searching and web use, my evo just went 26.5 hours on one charger before hitting 10% and asking to be charged. That's pretty damn awesome.

:o

Is that with any power management tool (e.g. Juice Defender), or just stock? That's insane.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ayulin wrote: »

:o

Is that with any power management tool (e.g. Juice Defender), or just stock? That's insane.

Nope, that's with nothing but the stock stuff. I've been around the house all weekend and signal is good here, so I'm sure that's a huge part of it. This makes me really happy.

According to the battery info page in settings, its currently at 80% and has been off the charger for 13 hours!

mxmarks on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Possibly an odd question: I've never bought a highly anticipated phone at launch. My only familiarity with the idea is news on the various iphone launches. Is there likely to be a cut off for when I can reasonably expect to preorder a droid x from Verizon and actually expect to receive it?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
This discussion has been closed.