Options

The [Android] Thread: We like portable shower buttons

• Options
    TheFid2TheFid2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I don't think Android phones have the same rabid fanboys lining up outside the store as the iPhone does.

TheFid2 on
    HillisSig2.jpg
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    at worst case if you don't pre-order you'll probably have to wait a couple weeks for one

that depends on if the phone ends up as hard to produce as the evo 4g and droid incredible were, though

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My coworker claims that Google selling their phones alone isn't working out, and that I'll be able to get my Nexus directly from T-mobile someday soon, and so will the other respective phone services.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Droid was kinda hard to find in few weeks after launch. But not impossible. I do think it sold out the first shipment launch weekend but not too early in the day. my buddy was able to walk into a vzw store on launch day and get one. That to say, you should be good.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I mostly just don't want to preorder one till the initial engadget tests for battery life, etc. hit.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Cantido wrote: »
    My coworker claims that Google selling their phones alone isn't working out, and that I'll be able to get my Nexus directly from T-mobile someday soon, and so will the other respective phone services.

Yup, that's true. Google talked about that recently saying that folks just weren't buying the phone on its own without a contract. They're going to switch to a retail based model because americans seem to really enjoy two year commitments. Well not their words, but that's the gist of it.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I mostly just don't want to preorder one till the initial engadget tests for battery life, etc. hit.

why preorder at all?

I mean, if you're concerned abotu that sort of stuff, why not wait until the second batch, anyway?

Evander on
  • Options
    TheFid2TheFid2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, it's not a situation where if you don't pre-order, you won't see one for months.

Wait until it's been out a week for any major problems to surface,like losing reception when held in your hand ;)

If everything checks out, then just walk in and buy one

TheFid2 on
    HillisSig2.jpg
  • Options
    keggheadkegghead Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Guys, just wanted to state further, that on one night with moderate use, an overnight with nothing but sync and general power,.and then a weekend with a lot of app searching and web use, my evo just went 26.5 hours on one charger before hitting 10% and asking to be charged. That's pretty damn awesome.

That's comparable to what I'm seeing on mine. I'm currently 6.5 hours into my battery, and for 3 of them the phone was awake, with moderate internet usage and sync enabled. Still at 80%. Yesterday I was 70% with about 22 hours, but that was almost all on standby save for a bit of GPS and maybe a dozen photos taken. Absolutely no management of apps or anything, other than turning off GPS/WiFi/BT when not in use, there's a handy widget for that.

My biggest problem though is at work, I spend 60% of the day searching for a signal. Absolutely kills the battery. Might have to ditch Sprint before my 30 days are up, not sure if their network will work for me. Which is a shame, I *love* the phone, call quality is way better than AT&T, I love the extra features where I don't get nickled and dimed, and the network just...works.

Re: Aria

I know AT&T has locked out sideloading of apps on the Aria, how does this impact developers? I'm thinking of taking it up as a hobby...

kegghead on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Always a good idea to give it month for any serious hardware defects to show up if you're sure wary. Or you could just say fuck it and burn through replacements if you end up with issues, Verizon is pretty prompt with replacements for hardware issues.. as long as they have stock..

JAEF on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    jonxp wrote: »

Yup, that's true. Google talked about that recently saying that folks just weren't buying the phone on its own without a contract. They're going to switch to a retail based model because americans seem to really enjoy two year commitments. Well not their words, but that's the gist of it.

In less than two years, I'll be in Active Duty, and can break out of contracts on a whim.

My captain did this...until Thanksgiving break. She went on a roller coaster in Florida, and her iPhone fell out of her pocket while upside down. The ride took a photo at the end with her crying hysterically.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

In less than two years, I'll be in Active Duty, and can break out of contracts on a whim.

My captain did this...until Thanksgiving break. She went on a roller coaster in Florida, and her iPhone fell out of her pocket while upside down. The ride took a photo at the end with her crying hysterically.

Crying over a lost/broken cellphone? o_O

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Darmak wrote: »

Crying over a lost/broken cellphone? o_O

in all honesty i'd probably cry. not hysterically or immediately, but after seeing the destroyed thing on the ground, i would be extremely sad and probably shed a tear or two in private.

Snork on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    But it's just a phone, you can get another one.

edit: I mean, I'd cry if my wife fell out of the roller coaster and died or maybe a beloved pet, but a cold piece of plastic and silicon doesn't mean shit to me. I'm just not getting how people could possibly get that attached to a phone.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

edit: I mean, I'd cry if my wife fell out of the roller coaster and died or maybe a beloved pet, but a cold piece of plastic and silicon doesn't mean shit to me. I'm just not getting how people could possibly get that attached to a phone.

It's pretty easy to be sad about the amount of money you're out now, though.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    SilasSilas Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Am I the only person here using AppBrain? Because I was honestly kind of shocked not to see it in the OP.

Check out the website and the app, but for the time being,
    1. What is AppBrain?
    AppBrain is a website for discovering Android apps. In addition to providing search and browse functionality, users of Android phones can download the apps they chose by simply clicking an install button on the site. Appbrain then stores the application in an application wishlist. A companion native android app then lets the user efficiently make all the desired changes on the phone.

My Installed Apps

Seriously. It's cool.

Silas on
    Ancient+J.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I think I'd be more aggravated than sad though.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Silas wrote: »
    Am I the only person here using AppBrain? Because I was honestly kind of shocked not to see it in the OP.

1. What is AppBrain?
    AppBrain is a website for discovering Android apps. In addition to providing search and browse functionality, users of Android phones can download the apps they chose by simply clicking an install button on the site. Appbrain then stores the application in an application wishlist. A companion native android app then lets the user efficiently make all the desired changes on the phone.

My Installed Apps

Seriously. It's cool.

I've been playing around with it. It is pretty cool.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That appbrain thing is pretty cool indeed. Never heard of it.

my appbrain

Alegis on
  • Options
    HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

1. What is AppBrain?

My Installed Apps

Seriously. It's cool.

HooverFan's Installed Apps

Huh... so I have an unremovable application called Talkback that I've never seen or heard of before. Lovely.

HooverFan on
    BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    HooverFan wrote: »
    Huh... so I have an unremovable application called Talkback that I've never seen or heard of before. Lovely.
    About TalkBack:
    -Does not run if accessibility is disabled
    -Is part of the Android system and cannot be uninstalled

JAEF on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Plus, for some it's much like losing your computer hard drive, especially since phones often don't have built-in backup solutions, and it's far less known that one could theoretically recover the info off of one. If all the photos you took with it, all the texts you'd sent or received, all your contacts, etc. etc. etc. were just gone, I wouldn't blame you for crying.

yalborap on
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

1. What is AppBrain?

My Installed Apps

Seriously. It's cool.

HooverFan's Installed Apps

Yeah, this is mine. I'm still trying to get a good layout going...

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    JAEF wrote: »
    About TalkBack:

Yeah, I saw that... but I'm wondering why the other 2 people who posted theirs don't have it if it's just a part of Android

HooverFan on
    BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    JAEF wrote: »
    About TalkBack:

Yeah, I saw that... but I'm wondering why the other 2 people who posted theirs don't have it if it's just a part of Android
    Different model device/version OS?

JAEF on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Man, Fring is fucking awesome.

I just had a face to face skype talk with my brother in LA, with a little lag, over 3G. He was on his MacBook, I was using the kickstand to prop up the Evo in landscape mode and hanging on the couch.

Then I called my parents Skype number over WiFi, and had a videochat with them.

FaceTime WHAT?!

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    kegghead wrote: »
    Guys, just wanted to state further, that on one night with moderate use, an overnight with nothing but sync and general power,.and then a weekend with a lot of app searching and web use, my evo just went 26.5 hours on one charger before hitting 10% and asking to be charged. That's pretty damn awesome.

That's comparable to what I'm seeing on mine. I'm currently 6.5 hours into my battery, and for 3 of them the phone was awake, with moderate internet usage and sync enabled. Still at 80%. Yesterday I was 70% with about 22 hours, but that was almost all on standby save for a bit of GPS and maybe a dozen photos taken. Absolutely no management of apps or anything, other than turning off GPS/WiFi/BT when not in use, there's a handy widget for that.

My biggest problem though is at work, I spend 60% of the day searching for a signal. Absolutely kills the battery. Might have to ditch Sprint before my 30 days are up, not sure if their network will work for me. Which is a shame, I *love* the phone, call quality is way better than AT&T, I love the extra features where I don't get nickled and dimed, and the network just...works.

Re: Aria

I know AT&T has locked out sideloading of apps on the Aria, how does this impact developers? I'm thinking of taking it up as a hobby...

Yeah, just an update to this:

At my house where I get 3-4 bars all the time, and am hooked up to WiFi - 27 hours on one charge Saturday, 22 on Sunday. Insanity.

Today at work, where I get 0-1 bar all the time, and the WiFi at work is awful and I get it in like 3 rooms - It's been off the charger for 5 hours, and is at around 60% battery.

So to say that not getting a signal DESTROYS the Evo's battery is a huge understatement.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So, Droid 2 rumored for August 23. I can wait till the Droid X launch, but I don't know if I can make it till late August, especially considering it might get another bump.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    So, Droid 2 rumored for August 23. I can wait till the Droid X launch, but I don't know if I can make it till late August, especially considering it might get another bump.

August 23 is sooner than October for me. I'm thinking of saying screw it and just going for the Evo. Playing with my dad's unit has made me hate AT&T for screwing me over with lack of Android support. And I'm really not willing to wait for the Samsung unit.

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    LeCaustic wrote: »
    Playing with my dad's unit

Heh.

Are you still under AT&T contract?

Because the Samsung Galaxy S is coming to ALL FOUR carriers, so there's no real reason to stay on AT&T for it if you hate them, and have no ETF.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    So to say that not getting a signal DESTROYS the Evo's battery is a huge understatement.
    This is true for every phone on the market.

JAEF on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Is there an app or, if not, is it even possible for there to be an app that looks at all the notifications that get triggered on your phone, and then allow you to assign LED colors to those notifications?

I love the LED notifications on my phone. I dislike that certain notifications don't have an LED option, or, if they do, that I can't choose the color to not conflict with my other colors, etc. This seems like something an app could address.

Also, my phone has the option to blend the colors of notifications happening concurrently. For instance, my email flashes green, my texts flash red. If I have both, the LED flashes orange. However, I'd much prefer something that flashes the colors sequentially. So, instead of orange, a red flash followed by a green flash and so on.

Just some thoughts. Figured I'd throw them out there and see if there are any solutions. ;P

gilrain on
  • Options
    LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Evander wrote: »
    LeCaustic wrote: »
    Playing with my dad's unit

Heh.

Are you still under AT&T contract?

Because the Samsung Galaxy S is coming to ALL FOUR carriers, so there's no real reason to stay on AT&T for it if you hate them, and have no ETF.

I have 3 months till my 2 yr contract expires. And I really don't have any reason to wait for the Galaxy S after I've heard about how Samsung loves to NOT give updates for Android. And the engadget review of the unit was definitely not promising. And, honestly, the fact that I know ATT will probably install every fucking bloatware it can on that thing only further turns me off.

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Messaging apps like Handcent and Chompsms allow you to change the notification LED color. There's also Missed Call, which adds various services to a list that lets you customize the led color. Doesn't do Email, though, which makes it kind of useless.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Messaging apps like Handcent and Chompsms allow you to change the notification LED color. There's also Missed Call, which adds various services to a list that lets you customize the led color. Doesn't do Email, though, which makes it kind of useless.
    Yeah, I have Handcent. I'll check out Missed Call; sounds interesting.

I was thinking more like an LED manager. In my mind, this app watches for and catches notifications, changing (or adding) only their LED color and flash rate, etc, based on your settings, and then sending them on their way.

Of course, I don't know if this sort of interception would even be possible in Android. If so, I imagine such an app would sell nicely at a $1.99. Not sure I want to invest the time to find out, though. :P

gilrain on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    my guess is once froyo is more widespread you will see that since i believe LED stuff is unlocked with it

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    gilrain wrote: »
    Yeah, I have Handcent. I'll check out Missed Call; sounds interesting.

I was thinking more like an LED manager. In my mind, this app watches for and catches notifications, changing (or adding) only their LED color and flash rate, etc, based on your settings, and then sending them on their way.

Of course, I don't know if this sort of interception would even be possible in Android. If so, I imagine such an app would sell nicely at a $1.99. Not sure I want to invest the time to find out, though. :P

I've been looking for something like this for 6 months, it's just not around.

I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    SO my htc desire should arrive tomorrow morning
    Freaking excited! Already ordered an awesome protective film for the display, a friend had this one and it's freaking amazing. You really don't even notice there's a film on the screen, only after you really search for it for a while

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    if you're one of the few people who doesn't like or use handcent, you can also get SMS popup, which allows you to configure your own vibrate pattern and LED light, as handcent does

Snork on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Hm - I think I somehow managed to really mess up the OTA Evo Update.

I woke up from a nap and saw the prompt that an update for the Evo had been discovered. I had read about it messing up home screens and stuff, and I had a lot of notifications come in while I was asleep, so I ignored the window asking me what I wanted to do about the update while I cleaned up and got ready for it. I saved the home screen scene, I checked texts, missed calls and mails, and then when I returned to the home screen the message was gone.

Going to settings -> Phone info -> System Updates or whatever tells me my phone is up to date. So I shut the phone off, and power it back on.

It STILL is saying everything is up to date, but I know that's not the case, because there's no way it went through the install process without me knowing (and I still have the "Android Wallpapers" menu, which Ive read it removes).

Any idea if I screwed myself out of this update, or if I just wait awhile and it will try again?

mxmarks on
This discussion has been closed.