Options

The [Android] Thread: We like portable shower buttons

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    On the app front, Amazon has gone live with their Kindle client for Android.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

But Audio/Video support is only for iPhones/iPads.

If you're into that sort of thing, that is.

Edit: Hm... and no text search or in-app purchasing, yet. :(

Although, emphasis on the "yet"

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Is the UI better or worse than Aldiko?

Daedalus on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So my G1 got here and I did a factory reset cause it still had my friends data on it. Now I'm trying to set it up and it is saying I need a sim card to do so. Is there any way around it so I can set up the damn phone and at least use wifi shit until I get a T-Mobile account for it?

Edit: NM I figured it out.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Someone recommend a good, free book to try out the Kindle app.

And the browsing suck balls for the Kindle app

Kyougu on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    i'm debating if I want to create my own kindle account, or just put in my fatehrs, so I can read the books he buys

hmmm

Evander on
  • Options
    keggheadkegghead Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Re: Poor reception and battery use.

Yes, no reception kills any phone battery. This isn't a problem exclusive to the Evo by any means.

If I can manage to get a key for our WiFi network at work, does the phone still need the CDMA network for voice calls, or can it switch to some form of voip-magic? I haven't bothered with wifi at work because dealing with our IT department is as productive as squeezing blood from a rock.

kegghead on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I broke down and bought the Aria. Holy shit this is a nice phone. There is basically zero lag in anything. The sound output to my car stereo is superb for a non dedicated MP3 player (streaming Rhapsody). The battery life is abysmal with Wi-Fi turned on though. It's so/so with it off and streaming music over 3G. Playing music off the SD card is barely a nudge on it. Very solid phone so far, it doesn't feel flimsy at all (in fact very, very sturdy, even the screen seems like it could take a hit or two).

My biggest gripe is the built in task manager sucks (is non-existant almost) and I'm just not thrilled with the couple others I've tried. That and being unable to uninstall the 30 HTC/ATT apps that came preloaded. I assume with Froyo if/when this gets rooted I can ditch those?

Mvrck on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Mvrck wrote: »
    So I broke down and bought the Aria. Holy shit this is a nice phone. There is basically zero lag in anything. The sound output to my car stereo is superb for a non dedicated MP3 player (streaming Rhapsody). The battery life is abysmal with Wi-Fi turned on though. It's so/so with it off and streaming music over 3G. Playing music off the SD card is barely a nudge on it. Very solid phone so far, it doesn't feel flimsy at all (in fact very, very sturdy, even the screen seems like it could take a hit or two).

My biggest gripe is the built in task manager sucks (is non-existant almost) and I'm just not thrilled with the couple others I've tried. That and being unable to uninstall the 30 HTC/ATT apps that came preloaded. I assume with Froyo if/when this gets rooted I can ditch those?

when it gets rooted you can ditch those period. with or without froyo

Evander on
  • Options
    LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yes you can. Also why do you need a task manager?

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    JAEF wrote: »
    Yes you can. Also why do you need a task manager?

to manage tasks, silly

personally, I've got a task killer widget running at any given time, to deal with slow-downs

Evander on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    What is causing you slowdowns? I use a Hero and even with its shit processor I don't have any apps that give me trouble.

JAEF on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So in the mail section said that some yahoo crap didn't work right and when I tried putting in my yahoo mail info it, the thing kept saying my name or password were incorrect which they most certainly are. So what am I supposed to do?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So, finally got my Incredible. Looking at apps and whatnot.

Is there any reason that so many apps "need" access to personal info when they really have no reason to?

Jragghen on
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Jragghen wrote: »

Is there any reason that so many apps "need" access to personal info when they really have no reason to?

I have to say, I've run into a fair number of apps that seem to want more permissions than would seem necessary. These aren't even crappy third-party apps, either, so I don't know how concerned I should be.

rndmhero on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    rndmhero wrote: »

I have to say, I've run into a fair number of apps that seem to want more permissions than would seem necessary. These aren't even crappy third-party apps, either, so I don't know how concerned I should be.

Yeah, I mean, consider Google Sky Maps.

Does it really need "read phone state and identity"? Does Barcode Scanner need "read Browser's history and bookmarks, read contact data, write contact data"? Does Pandora need "read contact data"?

Stuff like this bugs me :?

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    So in the mail section said that some yahoo crap didn't work right and when I tried putting in my yahoo mail info it, the thing kept saying my name or password were incorrect which they most certainly are. So what am I supposed to do?

Along with an answer for that, I heard that PDAnet is only free for 30 days, is that true? If so then what?

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Along with an answer for that, I heard that PDAnet is only free for 30 days, is that true? If so then what?

PDAnet is completely free for 14 days. After that, it continues to be free but will not allow secure connections, which will require the paid version.

rndmhero on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

PDAnet is completely free for 14 days. After that, it continues to be free but will not allow secure connections, which will require the paid version.

And to the average user that means?

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Can't log into anything. If it says "https://" before the web address, you won't be able to access it.

I think it's just limited to web access, I can only assume things like outlook would still work.. but it's not something I've messed around with.

JAEF on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Does it really need "read phone state and identity"? Does Barcode Scanner need "read Browser's history and bookmarks, read contact data, write contact data"? Does Pandora need "read contact data"?

I think Barcode Scanner can write bookmarks from scanned QR codes that contain URLs, so it needs that permission.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    so.. what are good free media players? for audio, video?
    and maybe a good program to stream my shared files from my PC?
    edit: the built in audio player actually looks pretty good...
    so, any way to stream the files from my desktop pc over wlan?

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Why hello free Kindle app.

It's about time Amazon released the app for the droid. I just did not expect it to be free.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So... which of you is replacing your Droid 1 with a Droid X, and who wants to sell me their old phone cheaps?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Tried that Mario livewallpaper. way too busy a background

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    SoullessSoupSoullessSoup Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

QR codes can contain both urls and contact cards so barcode scanner does need all of the permissions above.

SoullessSoup on
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    am i the only one totally unable to download the mario wallpaper?

Snork on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Seriously though, screw the iPhone4 :)
    http://techcrunch.com/2010/06/28/iphone-4-vs-evo-4g/

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Daedalus wrote: »

I think Barcode Scanner can write bookmarks from scanned QR codes that contain URLs, so it needs that permission.

I was also concerned about this. According to my research, for free apps at least, the permissions are actually for the Google add generator used in those apps. And from all I could find, that add generator is legit.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    TheFid2TheFid2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    woo, Froyo Official Release leaked for Droid!

http://bit.ly/bpbbag

Installs right over top of the earlier leak

TheFid2 on
    HillisSig2.jpg
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    any idea when froyo for the htc desire will be released?

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    HTC hasn't provided any more specific information besides "sometime in 2010" for Froyo updates of their current smartphones.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    They've narrowed it down to Q3 for Desire, Wildfire and Legend

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    So Ringdroid is great, I recorded one ringtone on it and I love it. But the second one I recorded is all corrupt, I mean it's silent except for one blip half way through, and every time I try to record this ringtone I get the same problem. I've tried deleting it and re-recording it, and restarting the phone but that second ringtone just won't work. Anybody familiar with this issue?

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20JEDgmY804&feature=player_embedded

WOW. I've heard bad things about Samsung support for anything so I'm worried... Ugh... I mean, now I have absolutely no reason to stay with ATT. There's a sexy qwerty android coming now?!

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    They have announced that all Galaxy S phones will be getting 2.2 later this year, so you can probably assume they'll get FroYo when Google is on 2.5 or so. Even if you've got serious gadget lust for one of these things, wait until it's abundantly clear that the enthusiast community comes up with their own support.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    TheFid2TheFid2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The combo of this Official Froyo leak and the ADW launcher is SICK.

virutally no lag at all, not even widgets popping back in after I go back to the home screen, plus this is my first non-stock launcher and I love it!

TheFid2 on
    HillisSig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    They have announced that all Galaxy S phones will be getting 2.2 later this year, so you can probably assume they'll get FroYo when Google is on 2.5 or so. Even if you've got serious gadget lust for one of these things, wait until it's abundantly clear that the enthusiast community comes up with their own support.

Google may be skipping 2.5

I keep hearing Gingerbread reffered to as Android 3

Evander on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Insert whatever other version numbers you feel like, the point stands

Dehumanized on
This discussion has been closed.