As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] Jack and the Ghost of Alenko's Past

• EtherealEthereal Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »
    > Scaring off Rana Thanoptis again (pretty sure we'll see this)

I better not see her again. Third time she's getting a bullet in the face.

Rana needs to be recruitable as an assistant to Mordin in the science lab. Actually, being able to recruit crew members (who aren't standard combat squadmates) would be a cool addition in ME3. You could get minor bonuses depending on who you recruit.

Ethereal on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ethereal wrote: »

Rana needs to be recruitable as an assistant to Mordin in the science lab. Actually, being able to recruit crew members (who aren't standard combat squadmates) would be a cool addition in ME3. You could get minor bonuses depending on who you recruit.

Okay, I think this is pretty awesome. Shepard just gets bigger and bigger ships, might as well actually put people in them.

Wanna shoot Rana? Fine, that still needs you to meet her again. Want to recruit her as an assistant and get a bonus in healing? That's awesome. Having Shiala as an assistant to your resident commando would be excellent. Bonus in certain abilities. Or, if you like, you can kill her. Renegade points.

Also, "Are you naturally this bitchy?" is one of my favorite things to ask Miranda.

Synthesis on
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Okay, I think this is pretty awesome. Shepard just gets bigger and bigger ships, might as well actually put people in them.

Wanna shoot Rana? Fine, that still needs you to meet her again. Want to recruit her as an assistant and get a bonus in healing? That's awesome. Having Shiala as an assistant to your resident commando would be excellent. Bonus in certain abilities. Or, if you like, you can kill her. Renegade points.

Also, "Are you naturally this bitchy?" is one of my favorite things to ask Miranda.

Reminds me of Skies of Arcadia. I really should play that game again...

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    edited June 2010
    EDIT: Whoops, nevermind, some confusion over saves.

Also, this has already been said, TIM needs to return and the option needs to exist to put Shepard's boot up his ass, my love of Martin Sheen aside.

Synthesis on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Juc wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    smof wrote: »

Already read that thread, and I have the steam version.

and didnt help. :(

When is the exact instant it fails and in what exact way does it fail? what's it display, etc?

also, have you tried running the launcher for mass effect prior to trying to install bring down the sky? running it often fixes some weird registry shenanigans?

Fails after entering the BDtS CD key, just says install cancelled.

edit

yes I tried the launcher launching too.

Never had this problem before, nothings changed since the last time I installed ME.

Buttcleft on
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Because I had nothing better to do today while watching the movers, I imagined someone started a Jacob Taylor page on facebook called the Real Team Jacob in response to the Team Harby/Team Sov business at the start of the thread.

Had I the interwebs proper right now I'd do it myself.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • JucJuc EdmontonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

edit

Never had this problem before, nothings changed since the last time I installed ME.

I'm phenomenally medicated at the moment since I've been pretty sick lately, so I'm hoping this makes sense to you. I can only really think of two things.

make triple sure you have write permissions to the mass effect directory / run the launcher as an admin as well (so it had permissions to write to the registry) probably not a problem if you have XP but hey, it might pop up for the other OSes.

The other thing I can think of is to get you to the secondary CD-Key entry menu, which I bet almost no one ever sees.

Anywho to do that what you do is open the task manager and kill the Bring Down The Sky_code.exe process.
    That'll trigger the thingy to validate your license and maybe ask for your cd key again, you might have better luck putting the CD key in that window.

I'll try to remember to check this out when I'm better, but like I said I'm phenomenally medicated, so I can't make any promises.

I just thought of something else, you can try the other bring down the sky installer, the old one we had, I think it had problems with steam but giving it a shot won't leave you any worse off than you currently are.
    google up MassEffect_BDtS_ES.exe
    MassEffect_BDtS_ES_a.exe is what's on our website, I think MassEffect_BDtS_ES.exe is the previous version ... if my memory serves, but it might not, it's been a while and I'm fairly addled of late.

Juc on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    TIM subscribes to the "Bothans Dead" metric of success. The worth of your projects is directly proportionate to how many of your people died accomplishing it!

The problem is they fuck it up and die.

Oh TIM *laugh track*

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wasn't gonna get ME2, after playing the demo and not feeling it. But I just watched a clip on youtube from the Overlord DLC.

Sold. Game and the DLC. Will wrap up some stuff in ME1 and then pick it up.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
    edited June 2010
    Doodmann wrote: »

Reminds me of Skies of Arcadia. I really should play that game again...

The one problem with this idea is that somehow Conrad Verner would get pulled in.

And since Shepard would immediately want to kill him, and certainly not tolerate sharing a ship with him under any circumstances, including the preservation of life in the galaxy, we wouldn't get whatever bonus he provided.

Synthesis on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm still hoping that big cargo bay on the Normandy can be filled with crack commando squads from different races in ME3. I want to go down that elevator and be carrying like a small army.

Also: at some point you need to be able to actually call the Normandy to come in and bombard something from orbit. And it must be awesome.

EDIT: While I'm on this topic:

There should also be at least one moment where you ask "are we in any danger" and it turns out you've all been infected with an airborne plague/nerve gas has been deployed and you should've listened to that guy who told you to wear a helmet.

Taking
    Legion
    near something with incredibly aggressive hacking should at at least one point result in a critical mission failure when you get shot in the back because he gets hacked.

electricitylikesme on
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I wonder who would win in a feat of biotic prowess

Jacob or Kaiden

chuck some oil over them both

the winner is the viewer

edit: as long as jacob doesn't speak or open his mouth and kaiden wears a bag over his stupid hair

Nuzak on
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    i actually did wonder why shep got hacked and not legion when i took him along on overlord

regarding teammates overlord was profoundly unsatisfying

i took tali the quarian and legion the geth and they had shit-all to say about the whole thing

BIOWARE

I AM DISAPPOINT

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    i actually did wonder why shep got hacked and not legion when i took him along on overlord

regarding teammates overlord was profoundly unsatisfying

i took tali the quarian and legion the geth and they had shit-all to say about the whole thing

BIOWARE

I AM DISAPPOINT

They cant hear you over the money you gave them :P

Dox the PI on
    edited June 2010
    That's a question I have for Juc - how is the DLC selling compared to the development costs?

electricitylikesme on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Seriously, after having played through ME2 again, I can safely say that even beating Sovereign and blowing Saren's brains out wasn't as satisfying as
    Telling the Illusive Man to stick it up his ass. Why didn't I do that the first time?

Goddamn, that felt good. It's MY ship now, bitch, don't call me again.

I love these games so much.

That's exactly the thing I hated the most, and probably what soured me on the whole game. I mean, I probably would have overlooked the reduction and removal of abilities and the inventory, not to mention midrange textures and lack of AA, if I was just able to do something to the TIM, other than just letting him off with a few unkind words.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Reinstalling the game to do another Mass Effect 2 vanguard run for Overlord.
    Guess I missed you guys <3.

Dox the PI on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    One thing about the end mission I didn't like:
    Who you pick for the second team leader at the start can kill your tech person when you're all back together again and closing the door. I picked Thane thinking "Hey, he killed dozens of guys in a big building by himself- he should kick all kinds of ass with a team to distract them for him." Turns out, of course, he just wasn't on the list of possibly correct choices. That's bad enough. But then my tech guy is Legion, a freaking robot, and he gets knocked over and dies. They could have at least blown him up or something. The upside to this is I consider the Geth a bunch of machines at best and a bunch of murdering machines most likely, so no loss there really. But then there's that damn achievement...

So I suppose I may have to replay the end mission again on that guy after my Renegade Shep kills some people on purpose.

Xeddicus on
  • MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Leitner wrote: »
    Legions loyalty mission left, then Collectr ship and I'm done with Insane. Looking forward to getting my canon infiltrator off the bench to try all the DLC.

So I stumbled across this quote. I notice that was dated to feburary, we had any new information since then?

I know this is all the way from page 1, but this is what I found:
    _12750925682860.jpg

Morvidus on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Anyone know what entry the M-22 Eviscerator Shotgun is under in Coalesced.ini? Assuming it is in there. I don't see one that could be it I don't think, but may be missing something. If not, know where its settings are?

Xeddicus on
  • LeinnaLeinna Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    We're playing through KOTOR 2 while waiting for a new X-Box ...

Is it just me or:
    Are all the droids in Star Wars the same as the Geth, except they get routine memory wipes to prevent them developing sentience?

Makes me think the Republic are pretty evil...

Leinna on
  • DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I wouldn't mind a happy ending. But I'm pretty flexible. Things I'd like...

> A grateful Shiala expressing her gratitude to Shepard.
    > More Wrex, and indeed, the rest of the surviving original cast
    > Actually looking at parts of the Migrant Fleet, and not just their courts and lab ships.

Of course, like everyone else, I have a long list of stuff I'd really like to see.

I want to see EARTH.

Just a small area with a gorgeous skybox city in the background, but I want to visit the capital of humanity, goddamnit!

In fact, ME3 should have Shepard visiting the capital planets of all the races, including the Migrant Fleet.

DarkCrawler on
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I imagine that is what the storyline will be- recruit armies to prepare for Reaper invasion, culminating in massive space battle/commando raid on the MegaReaper's brain.

As for the crew/normandy, I liked the couple of "get something for X crew people" missions and I kind of assumed they'd factor into the finale- like all that added morale you got by getting good food for the crew actually did something, etc. I also thought that there should have been a Joker loyalty mission (go get him a cure, maybe), maybe even an EDI loyalty mission where you do something for her. Perhaps awaken a 'brother' or 'sister' AI she was developed alongside on another Cerberus ship doing something shady that Shepherd gets all face-shooty over anyway.

Professor Phobos on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You know, I might actually welcome having to 15%of the game being just mindlessly fighting through he deep space roads

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2010
    Juc wrote: »

edit

I'm phenomenally medicated at the moment since I've been pretty sick lately, so I'm hoping this makes sense to you. I can only really think of two things.

make triple sure you have write permissions to the mass effect directory / run the launcher as an admin as well (so it had permissions to write to the registry) probably not a problem if you have XP but hey, it might pop up for the other OSes.

The other thing I can think of is to get you to the secondary CD-Key entry menu, which I bet almost no one ever sees.

Anywho to do that what you do is open the task manager and kill the Bring Down The Sky_code.exe process.
    That'll trigger the thingy to validate your license and maybe ask for your cd key again, you might have better luck putting the CD key in that window.

I'll try to remember to check this out when I'm better, but like I said I'm phenomenally medicated, so I can't make any promises.

I just thought of something else, you can try the other bring down the sky installer, the old one we had, I think it had problems with steam but giving it a shot won't leave you any worse off than you currently are.
    google up MassEffect_BDtS_ES.exe
    MassEffect_BDtS_ES_a.exe is what's on our website, I think MassEffect_BDtS_ES.exe is the previous version ... if my memory serves, but it might not, it's been a while and I'm fairly addled of late.

Windows 7 64bit

Ran as admin, didnt even have to do that a few months back, fails

I also did the end process trick, which did nothing as well.

I think theres just a single file, Camped out, in a cave. Its beady eyes wearily watching for signs of moment within the glare of sunlight in the far distance of the opening. Fingers nervously stroking its beard as it murmers with a psychosis " Cant sleep, be deleted. Cant sleep, be deleted, Cant sleep, be deleted "

that is determined to make my life Les Misérables

Buttcleft on
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Quick question, as the manual is completely useless. I've just started, and am flying around in Batalla. There is a noise as if I'm entering the orbit path of a planet, but there is no planet. Clicking madly fails to show any hidden ships/metallic asteroids/etc.

The system display claims I'm at 100%, but I have doubts. I only imagine there are hidden objects because in the first system, they use the same 'hidden object' locater.

If there is something here, how do I access it?

Tamin on
    edited June 2010
    Actually Rana Thanoptis in ME3 should be doing something utterly ok. Like, totally beneficial, good work, and then as Shepard you just come crashing through her lab chasing some other guy.

electricitylikesme on
    edited June 2010
    Actually Rana Thanoptis in ME3 should be doing something utterly ok. Like, totally beneficial, good work, and then as Shepard you just come crashing through her lab chasing some other guy.

Rana Thanoptis working on upgrades for Shepards cybernetic wang confirmed?

Seriously though, what about ending up helping treat the Zhu's Hopes Colonists, if for no other reason than her thinking " Shepards already been here, I wont have a gun shoved in my face here "

Then, Cue Conrad..

Buttcleft on
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Rana Thanoptis + Conrad Verner...
    Shadow Broker

Bobble on
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

she can work for Helena Blake!

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    We really need to meet Conrads wife in three, or perhaps stumble upon him doing some good (sensible) work like with the Sheperds only for him to get the chance to be a hero.

Leitner on
  • finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

Helena Blake's appearance in ME2 continues to bother me. It was way too unrealistic (if you took the Paragon choice in ME1).

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
    edited June 2010
    finnith wrote: »

Helena Blake's appearance in ME2 continues to bother me. It was way too unrealistic (if you took the Paragon choice in ME1).

oh, i know she's lying to me about turning straight. and she knows it. i'm waiting for the worm to turn in ME3 to find out what she's really up to.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • kalkal Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ah if only Conrad turned out to be the SB it would make putting a bullet right between his eyes that much more enjoyable.

kal on
    camo_sig.png
    edited June 2010
    We really need to meet Conrads wife in three, or perhaps stumble upon him doing some good (sensible) work like with the Sheperds only for him to get the chance to be a hero.

Renegade option where you sleep with her? Highly likely.

electricitylikesme on
    edited June 2010

Renegade option where you sleep with her? Highly likely.

Given that Mrs. Verner already tried to get rid of him, I don't know if that would actually be considered all that renegade.

Don't get me wrong, it would be fun.

Synthesis on
  • Dr. WormDr. Worm Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Where does she show up in ME2? She didn't survive my ME1 run, heh.

Dr. Worm on
    edited June 2010
    Dr. Worm wrote: »

Where does she show up in ME2? She didn't survive my ME1 run, heh.

afterlife, of all places. which is exactly why i didn't buy her story about being a social worker.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That depends on your choices on Feros.
    If you took all of the Paragon options and spared the green asari, you run into the green asari in Illium who, of course, needs your help out of a jam. If you help her she, of course, makes a pass at you. If you didn't spare the asari you get Helena Blake instead. If she died I don't know what happens.

EDIT- Oops, that's not Helena Blake I'm thinking of, it's the ExoGeni worker who asks for your help against the geth. What's her name again ?

Fairchild on
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I want to see EARTH.

Just a small area with a gorgeous skybox city in the background, but I want to visit the capital of humanity, goddamnit!

In fact, ME3 should have Shepard visiting the capital planets of all the races, including the Migrant Fleet.

Good news: they already said Earth is going to be pretty important in ME3.
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Anyone know what entry the M-22 Eviscerator Shotgun is under in Coalesced.ini? Assuming it is in there. I don't see one that could be it I don't think, but may be missing something. If not, know where its settings are?

\Mass Effect 2\BioGame\DLC\DLC_PRE_Cerberus\CookedPC\BIOWeapon.ini

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png