As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine <Boner Unlocked>

Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Games and Technology
Do you like Warhammer 40,000? Are you not so good/fond of RTS's?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnfniAbzYX8

Here's some Wiki info too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000:_Space_Marine

3rd person action-RPG? Yes please!

I saw a very very brief mention of this game on an XBOX E3 video, and looked it up immediately. I remember Firewarrior not being so good, but this game has a chance I think. I've been hoping for a Warhammer action shooter game for a long time.

So far it seems just Marines and Orks, but I'm hoping for Chaos Marines too.

Edit: For those so inclined, Warhammer 40,000 MMO

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
Skull2185 on

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sweet.

I do wish that they used a chapter other than the Ultramarines though. And I'm with you with hopes that it will be more than Space Marines v. Orks.

As for the MMO, it's intriguing but in the end it's just another game I refuse to pat a monthly fee for.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm surprised they're not using the Blood Ravens.

I assumed they were the go to chapter for any WH40K games.

Karl on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The ultramarines were a generic demonstration choice. They won't be the chapter in the actual game.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    don't ultramarines generally deal with tyranids in their sector? i thought that was more of their thing, not so much orks

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Relic has used Ultramarines in a game before, just look at Dawn of War: Winter Assualt

Huntera on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Should allow you to play as CIAPHAS CAIN, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM!

But otherwise it looks decent.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I know nothing about Warhammer, and I'm not so good/fond of RTSs

I am, however, fond of action RPGs! But that video in the OP doesn't seem to show off any gameplay...

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Verflutche wrote: »
    Relic has used Ultramarines in a game before, just look at Dawn of War: Winter Assualt

I think the psp 40k game was ultramarines as well wasn't it?

Boogdud on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I am very much looking forward to Dynasty Warriors GRIMDARK Edition

Seems really hard to find much actual info on this game, though

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

God I hope it's not like Dynasty Warriors. I hate Dynasty Warriors and all the other games that are exactly like it.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Dudes we already have not one but two other Space Marine threads. Probably should have done a search before making this one.

Original: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=91258&highlight=space+marine

Another new one: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=121308&highlight=space+marine

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    edit: removed snarky comment as there was a second new thread.

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oops that was the wrong link. Fixed now.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Barrabas wrote: »

God I hope it's not like Dynasty Warriors. I hate Dynasty Warriors and all the other games that are exactly like it.

I'm thinking/hoping this game's going to be more like GRAW with RPG elements. *fingers crossed*

Also, I looked (admittedly not very hard) and didn't see any Space Marine thread

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Skull2185 wrote: »

I'm thinking/hoping this game's going to be more like GRAW with RPG elements. *fingers crossed*
    In the first trailer they released last year it pretty much looked like Dynasty Warriors. Jetpack Marine with a Thunder Hammer jumping into a huge mob of orks and just going to town.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

In the first trailer they released last year it pretty much looked like Dynasty Warriors. Jetpack Marine with a Thunder Hammer jumping into a huge mob of orks and just going to town.

Last I heard of this, Relic wants it to be sorta like their other 3rd person shooter, The Outfit, but in the WH40K universe

I think they've also said there would be other races, like the Eldar, and a multiplayer aspect

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    SonarSonar Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ultramarines are the prototypical marine chapter. They are as "vanilla" as space marines get. Fluff wise they have deviated from standard operating proceedure the least of all other chapters. Perfect demo fodder.

If this game Is in any way character skill based I'm not interested. If it's totally player skill based I'm in.

Sonar on
    I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    elliotw2 wrote: »

Last I heard of this, Relic wants it to be sorta like their other 3rd person shooter, The Outfit, but in the WH40K universe

I think they've also said there would be other races, like the Eldar, and a multiplayer aspect

I want command over units in the middle of the action. I want it so fierce.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    elliotw2 wrote: »

I know pretty much nothing about The Outfit. Was it any good?

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    As long as you can put a chainsword or a power fist to an orks face, I'm happy.

Relic has become really adept at making their Warhammer games actually feel like Warhammer.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Definitely excited about this game. I'm gay for 40k.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I know pretty much nothing about The Outfit. Was it any good?

The Outfit was pretty terrible... so now I'm worried...

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ferrus wrote: »
    As long as you can put a chainsword or a power fist to an orks face, I'm happy.

Relic has become really adept at making their Warhammer games actually feel like Warhammer.

If only GW could find a developer who could do the same for Warhammer proper. 40k's done pretty well as far as video games go.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'd love to see an oldschool RPG with the Warhammer Fantasy rules.

Well, maybe not the PnP rules exactly. They'd need to be tuned down if you ever wanted to finish the game in one piece (literally!).

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Well, maybe not the PnP rules exactly. They'd need to be tuned down if you ever wanted to finish the game in one piece (literally!).

A tangent, but hell yes. That is the kind of game it really needs. Or a proper port of Total War. Something with stylized John Blanche/Ian Miller artwork, heavy on story and black humor, with a good streak of brutality, some survival horror, and some psychological terror bits going on. Also Nurglish sausages and halfling pies.

More to the point; do we know which chapter(s) will actually be featured in this game?

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    Shane_TyreeShane_Tyree Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Do you like Warhammer 40,000? Are you not so good/fond of RTS's?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnfniAbzYX8

Here's some Wiki info too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000:_Space_Marine

3rd person action-RPG? Yes please!

I saw a very very brief mention of this game on an XBOX E3 video, and looked it up immediately. I remember Firewarrior not being so good, but this game has a chance I think. I've been hoping for a Warhammer action shooter game for a long time.

So far it seems just Marines and Orks, but I'm hoping for Chaos Marines too.

Edit: For those so inclined, Warhammer 40,000 MMO

Oh lord, this looks like Jesus and awesome had a baby.

Shane_Tyree on
    sign1.jpg
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Morskittar wrote: »

A tangent, but hell yes. That is the kind of game it really needs. Or a proper port of Total War. Something with stylized John Blanche/Ian Miller artwork, heavy on story and black humor, with a good streak of brutality, some survival horror, and some psychological terror bits going on. Also Nurglish sausages and halfling pies.

More to the point; do we know which chapter(s) will actually be featured in this game?

I believe the chapter is still unannounced.

And yes, a well written and designed Warhammer Fantasy RPG would be amazing or an RTS if done right. Though I would also settle for a well done RPG based off of Dark Heresy, particularly if it had a nice variety of upgrades for Tech Priests.

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    Shane_TyreeShane_Tyree Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Iblis wrote: »
    Morskittar wrote: »

I believe the chapter is still unannounced.

And yes, a well written and designed Warhammer Fantasy RPG would be amazing or an RTS if done right. Though I would also settle for a well done RPG based off of Dark Heresy, particularly if it had a nice variety of upgrades for Tech Priests.

There were a couple of RTTactics for the PSone that weren't bad for Warhammer Fantasy. Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat, and Warhammer: Dark Omen. They had some RP/Upgrade elements to them, but something more refined, even Dawn of War-like for WF would be awesome.

Shane_Tyree on
    sign1.jpg
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The first trailer, if thats new is pretty dissapointing, they haven't shown barely anything they were showing off a long while ago, and then there was more gameplay/in game scenes in the trailers. Makes me wonder if they had to take a few steps back.

After that note, I can't fucking wait for either of these games. Gears of warhammer with weapon stats, I am calling it now. In fact we should go mod the original GoW....

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I wish there was some more info here. This could be really promising, but the trailer might as well be clips from Dawn of War 2--it doesn't really give you any idea what gameplay is like. The wiki's incredibly sparse too.

It sounds like they're going for the kind of game Warcraft 3 was originally supposed to be. A persistent squad controlled with a "real-time tactics" interface, with some light RPG elements and character customization? If it turns out to be this kind of thing, and it's done even passably well, you can probaby sign me up.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

There were a couple of RTTactics for the PSone that weren't bad for Warhammer Fantasy. Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat, and Warhammer: Dark Omen. They had some RP/Upgrade elements to them, but something more refined, even Dawn of War-like for WF would be awesome.

Yeah, I played the shit out of those, especially the first. Tone was still a bit off, but they were fun games on their own. Hard as hell in spots.

I'm not sure what to expect of Space Marine. Except that, judging by the trailers, it should have me wanting to shout "For the Emperor" and seeking revenge with my tabletop ork army on a regular basis.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg