As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game-on] Roguelikes are really addictive

• SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm almost always shocked by the number of people I speak to who like Rogue-likes but haven't played ADOM. It's quite simply the best Roguelike out there, in my view. Others I've played just completely pale in comparison. I can't reccomend this game enough without sounding like a shill.

I wanted to like DF's adventure mode so badly but I just couldn't get into it, unfortunately. Meanwhile, I continue my quest for a zombie roguelike that eases my hunger.

Edit: Arcibi: Yo!

SUPERSUGA on
  • itylusitylus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I like ADOM a lot, but you can't win it without being spoilered to the eyeballs.

My favourite roguelike is Dungeon Crawl, because, even though it is cruel to the player, it's just a better, cleaner design than anything else around, lots of fun, and winnable in a sane space of time without any spoilering at all.

Also, the Unreal World deserves more love, but doesn't get it because it costs money, isn't finished, and has a totally different setting/philosophy/interface/everything to other roguelikes. Still, I definitely felt I got my money's worth from it and more, and would probably go back to it again if I had the time available...

itylus on
  • PbPb Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Arcibi wrote:
    So am I the only ADOM player here or what

That game totally frustrates me because I'll be real close to getting on a roll and then in the middle of chewing through a horde of enemies a fucking Karma Lizard spawns and all of the sudden I'm Cursed on like the 20th level of some dungeon and there's no way I'll make it out of there.

Fuckin Karma Lizards!

Pb on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I like ADOM a lot more than any other RL because it isn't so incurably silly/stupid. No Nethack nonsense like pie-throwing Kops and kicking sinks. However there's always that mental roadblock of the corruption time limit...I wish I hadn't been spoilered by that, actually, so I could just play without worrying about it.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited January 2007
    I've never completed ADOM and don't think I ever will. I think I'd actually be a little sad if I did. Even though the plotline is there I like to play ADOM as a constant stream of challenges rather than "save the world". First of all I'll deal with this giant slug and then I have to drag some stuff back to that altar on floor 14 to please my god. Permanent Death is such a powerful mechanic, and combined with the depth of the world it really makes it feel like you're living out a life for this character. The fear of death is without a doubt one of the things that I feel makes this sort of game and I'll scoff at anyone who uses the pretty obvious exploits to get around it.

I still remember the day I introduced ADOM to a friend at college one lunchtime in the computer labs. After he got through the ASCII barrier he told a few more of his friends, who told others. Within a week we'd be packing out the lab every lunch break playing ADOM, sometimes I'd just drop in and watch others play, what legends that were born and died in one lunch break.

SUPERSUGA on
  • ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Pb wrote:
    Arcibi wrote:

That game totally frustrates me because I'll be real close to getting on a roll and then in the middle of chewing through a horde of enemies a fucking Karma Lizard spawns and all of the sudden I'm Cursed on like the 20th level of some dungeon and there's no way I'll make it out of there.

Fuckin Karma Lizards!

You know you can hit karmic enemies with missile weapons or spells and not get cursed, right

And don't give me this sob story about how your character is melee-oriented and you can't hit anything with a missile weapon because you never train with it

If you want to survive the later levels of the caverns of chaos you'll need a reliable missile weapon (and some experience with it so you can actually hit something and get some neat damage bonuses)

It wouldn't hurt to pick up a few bolt or ball spells, either

I recommend either rocks (for throwing if you're a halfling, for slinging if you're anything else) or arrows (you'll need a bow obviously) because ammo for these are plentiful and easily found (or made, in the case of arrows). Sling bullets and throwing knives/clubs/axes/hammers are hard to find and crossbow quarrels can be made but they don't drop quite as often as arrows do

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
    edited January 2007
    Arcibi wrote:
    Pb wrote:
    Arcibi wrote:

Fuckin Karma Lizards!

You know you can hit karmic enemies with missile weapons or spells and not get cursed, right

And don't give me this sob story about how your character is melee-oriented and you can't hit anything with a missile weapon because you never train with it

If you want to survive the later levels of the caverns of chaos you'll need a reliable missile weapon (and some experience with it so you can actually hit something and get some neat damage bonuses)

I recommend either rocks (for throwing if you're a halfling, for slinging if you're anything else) or arrows (you'll need a bow obviously) because ammo for these are plentiful and easily found (or made, in the case of arrows). Sling bullets and throwing knives/clubs/axes/hammers are hard to find and crossbow quarrels can be made but they don't drop quite as often as arrows do
    Hurthling Rock Throwers are super-fun to play.

SUPERSUGA on
    edited January 2007
    Arcibi wrote:
    Pb wrote:
    Arcibi wrote:

Fuckin Karma Lizards!

No, usually when I get them is when I open a door to some huge ass room full of monsters that I can take easily, so I just sorta sit there and hold the arrow key down. It's not until it's too late that I see the color-changing l

Pb on
  • InkoateInkoate Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Pb wrote:
    Arcibi wrote:
    Pb wrote:
    Arcibi wrote:

Fuckin Karma Lizards!

No, usually when I get them is when I open a door to some huge ass room full of monsters that I can take easily, so I just sorta sit there and hold the arrow key down. It's not until it's too late that I see the color-changing l

Well, this is your problem, holding down any key in a roguelike is basically equivalent to committing suicide. If you want to avoid death, do not hold down any key, either think about every key press or use built in repeating commands.

Inkoate on
    The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, hey, thanks, I hadn't figured that out. I like how I'm getting bitched out when I've actually beaten the game.

Pb on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    you're getting bitched out for being stupid, which is unrelated to if you've finished the game.

holding down a button is probably the WORST THING YOU CAN DO

IT'S LIKE IF YOU ARE HITLER AND IT IS THE BUTTON TO GAS CHAMBERS

Orikaeshigitae on
  • core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Pokemon, with the Mystery and the Dungeon and the wakka wakka wakka.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • JWFokkerJWFokker Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Pokemon, with the Mystery and the Dungeon and the wakka wakka wakka.

Pokeyman? Pokeyman with the pokey with the man and the thing where the guy comes out the thing and he makesafawa-ah-ah-ah!

JWFokker on
    edited January 2007
    you're getting bitched out for being stupid, which is unrelated to if you've finished the game.

SORRY THAT I GET IMPATIENT IN A ROOM FULL OF RATS WHEN I'M LEVEL ELEVENTY-BILLION.

Pb on
  • core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Pb wrote:

SORRY THAT I GET IMPATIENT IN A ROOM FULL OF RATS WHEN I'M LEVEL ELEVENTY-BILLION.
    The newer final fantasies should really put in the auto-win feature from Earthbound when you get strong enough. That would really help with all the god damn backtracking.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
    edited January 2007
    I totally agree, although if they make more like 12 it's pretty much the same thing because they're dead in half a second and you move on.

Pb on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Deadly Rooms of Death

Not a rogue-like, per say, but it's very similar. You play Beethro, a "dungeon exterminator," delving deep into dungeons and eliminating monstrous, flesh-eating cockroaches, infinitely expanding slimes and a variety of puzzles. The game has over 350 rooms, each one containing a mixture of hack 'n' slash gameplay similar to Rogue (but more strategic), and some really difficult puzzles that could leave you stumped for hours or even days.

It's an excellent game, but I'll remove this post if it doesn't belong (which it really doesn't).

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

Heh, normally I avoid holding buttons down. But one time in Angband, I was getting frustrated by the fact that monsters showing up because of telepathy kept interupting my running. So I just mashed down a button to get to the end of the corridor I was in. This let to: Ancient Green Dragon Breaths on you. Ancient Green Dragon Breaths on you. You die.

Still I think you might be putting it slightly too strongly. Slightly.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
    edited January 2007
    Sounds cool. IT STAYS

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited January 2007

Heh, normally I avoid holding buttons down. But one time in Angband, I was getting frustrated by the fact that monsters showing up because of telepathy kept interupting my running. So I just mashed down a button to get to the end of the corridor I was in. This let to: Ancient Green Dragon Breaths on you. Ancient Green Dragon Breaths on you. You die.

intentionally over-dramatic

Orikaeshigitae on
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007

Thank god Angband has an option so that only visible monsters interrupt repeated actions. So running with telepathy is possible.

Did you not notice this option?

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    thor got wrote:

Thank god Angband has an option so that only visible monsters interrupt repeated actions. So running with telepathy is possible.

There's so many subtle options in Angband that it's easy to not know the game did something a certain way. That was one option I did not know about either.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    In my everlasting quest to find a scroll of *remove curse*, I have finally found an unnamed scroll.

Now I just have to kill Saruman to take it. :?

This game can be really mean. Plus, it could be scroll of Elemental Brand or Mass Genocide. That would make me really happy.

It was Mass Genocide. :x

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    [E]at the scroll and be transmutated into Hitler!

I've only played ADOM and DF so far, but Angband looks pretty interesting. Is the learning curve steep compared to other roguelikes, or are there just lots of optional tweaks?

BlueDestiny on
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    "You have found a Plain Gold Ring."

:shock:

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    VeritasVR wrote:
    thor got wrote:

There's so many subtle options in Angband that it's easy to not know the game did something a certain way. That was one option I did not know about either.

Yea I forgot to mention that I found this option a while after that death. For a long time I just refused to keep wear telepathy items. :lol:

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
    edited January 2007

I've only played ADOM and DF so far, but Angband looks pretty interesting. Is the learning curve steep compared to other roguelikes, or are there just lots of optional tweaks?
    I "got" the gameplay after just a few minutes of playing. You keep discovering stuff, but that's normal in a roguelike.

It took me months to find all the cool convenience options you can set though, like the window settings I posted earler. Definitely read through the help on the birth options before you start, though. And setting "buy stats" to on is really helpful for starting out.
    VeritasVR wrote:

Is that exciting? In Angband that would just be a new ring to identify, and maybe a unique. (The One Ring?)

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • XieflowXieflow Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    thor got wrote:
    Xieflow wrote:
    are there any roguelikes that run in flash and are designed to be played on the Wii yet? Because if not, there really should be. I would love to play some Nethack from my couch.
    I searched, and the only one I could find was The Tombs. Unfortunately, it's graphical, but it seems interesting and deep.

Can't be played on the Wii, needs a keyboard.

Xieflow on
  • AvaritiaAvaritia Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    McGlitch wrote:
    Oh my :lol:

RIP
    Ted the Cave Troll
    the
    Rookie

Warrior
    Level: 3
    Exp: 39
    AU: 51
    Killed on Level 2
    by a Cave Spider

Well, that was hugely entertaining. I'm gonna make a new character.

(also, 10 points to whoever gets the name reference)

"Ted the Caver" is a story that's quite well known on the tubes.

And how can you be a Level 3-Warrior and killed on Level 2?

Avaritia on
    May contain sarcasm, irony, hyperboles, lies, slander, personal opinions, madness and crimes against grammar.
    ... and nuts.
  • skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Nethack player trying EyAngband. Got a quest for level 1 and I can't find the last of 12 crows. Son of a bitch. My life isn't in danger here I'm just wandering around in circles searching for hidden secrets. This sucks. The levels are big so I can't tell where the secret even would be. Any tips? I'm freaking level 8 on level 1...

Har har, found the secret, what a pain.

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
  • itylusitylus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

Angband isn't that hard to get started on, but it is the king of grinding and really gets very, very dull.

Play dungeon crawl. It's the greatest. :)

itylus on
  • RavenlockRavenlock Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    thor got wrote:
    My current character in the Angband variant EyAngband is level 27 mystic (combines priest and mage powers), but just put on the "Iron Crown of Gorlim", a cursed artifact, by accident. A mystic needs both wisdom and intelligence to provide mana, so suffice it to say, this character is screwed:
    [spoiler:2067eb0bf3]The Iron Helm of Gorlim [3,+10]
    -5 to intelligence, wisdom and perception. It provides protection from the
    effects of paralyzation and fear. It gives its wielder see invisible. it
    burdens its wielder with aggravation. It is heavily cursed. It is
    vulnerable to damage by disenchantment.[/spoiler:2067eb0bf3]
    It seems like a few people in this thread (who appear to have quite the love of Angband) are using the EyAngband variant. What's special about it? The homepage for it doesn't really explain what it's added to vanilla, and I'm a RL fan (Nethack and ADOM mostly) but don't know much about Angband. Educate me! :D

Ravenlock on
    Steam ID: Ravenlock
    XBL / GFWL Gamertag: Ravenlock80
    Wii System Code: 3019 1654 2730 1955
    <Whore> Listen to me rant on the Immortal Machines PC Gaming Podcast! </Whore>
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    VeritasVR wrote:

Oooooohhh! Put it on! It can't possibly go wrong.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ravenlock wrote:
    It seems like a few people in this thread (who appear to have quite the love of Angband) are using the EyAngband variant. What's special about it? The homepage for it doesn't really explain what it's added to vanilla, and I'm a RL fan (Nethack and ADOM mostly) but don't know much about Angband. Educate me! :D

Check out http://eyangband.sourceforge.net/, there's a Change Log there. Basically the classes are cleaned up, quests are added (the biggest change), stuff like that. It's nice and clean, though, which is a positive.

Personally, I like it alot, but I think I prefer OAngband. And Heng when I'm looking for a healthy dose of Japanese weirdness. I used to be really into TOME, but it's too munchkiny for me now.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
    edited January 2007
    Hmm...I can't get the 32x32 tiles to work with vanilla Angband. Something about not being able to read '32mask.bmp.'

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    What is EyAngband all about? Site has no info.

I always liked Angband myself. Never got below level 20 or so, but once you start to get down there, it's really an edge of your seat experience. Gotta watch every step, and carefully monitor every combat situation. Only thing I hate is trolling 5-10 for the phial of galadriel every time. That and smeagol. I had to get so goddamn inventive to take him out with my last character.

I hear that other variants are perhaps more fun, but I really like Angband's tolkien-y feel, and damned if I'm gonna be bothered learning another one of these.

LoneIgadzra on
    edited January 2007
    What is EyAngband all about? Site has no info.

I always liked Angband myself. Never got below level 20 or so, but once you start to get down there, it's really an edge of your seat experience. Gotta watch every step, and carefully monitor every combat situation. Only thing I hate is trolling 5-10 for the phial of galadriel every time. That and smeagol. I had to get so goddamn inventive to take him out with my last character.

I hear that other variants are perhaps more fun, but I really like Angband's tolkien-y feel, and damned if I'm gonna be bothered learning another one of these.

GoodOmens explained that on the last page. And Smeagol is so annoying i just ignore him until I'm such a high level that he's easy. And the beauty of EyAngband is that you usually get the Phial as a quest reward before long.
    GoodOmens wrote:
    Ravenlock wrote:

Check out http://eyangband.sourceforge.net/, there's a Change Log there. Basically the classes are cleaned up, quests are added (the biggest change), stuff like that. It's nice and clean, though, which is a positive.

Personally, I like it alot, but I think I prefer OAngband. And Heng when I'm looking for a healthy dose of Japanese weirdness. I used to be really into TOME, but it's too munchkiny for me now.
    Though the coder never really did thieves as he wanted. Also, he added some magic books, some classes, and some monsters.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
    edited January 2007
    Twice on the first level I have died. The first time in two turns after a mushroom released deadly spores into the air (how am I supposed to avoid that?), the second when a gazing eye stared at me to death.

Stupid game.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited January 2007
    Twice on the first level I have died. The first time in two turns after a mushroom released deadly spores into the air (how am I supposed to avoid that?), the second when a gazing eye stared at me to death.

Stupid game.

Avoid mushrooms, eyes, and jellies until you get a long range attack. They're not worth the trouble.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So in angband the dungeon resets itself if i go back to the surface? Not sure I like that, although I can see how it would be handy. I like Nethacks middle of the dungeon city.

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png