As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[INTERNET DATING] Now featuring HANDSOME ADVICE.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Its OK to not want to hang out with the person if they misrepresented themselves. Don't just disappear though, that's being a dick. Say hi, end the date early, whatever. Be the better person.

:^: Seriously, I don't think is that complicated.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    LadyM wrote: »
    On to other matters . . . I'm moving a couple hundred miles in a month, should I start an OKCupid profile now or wait until I've actually moved? You get more hits when your profile's new, right?

Just set your location to where you'll be moving to. The site doesn't verify your locale by IP or anything. If you really want to, you can even mention in your profile that you're not in the area yet, but will be there in August (or whenever) and are looking for fun people/dating/whatever.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    retrovmretrovm Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    LadyM wrote: »
    I dunno, if I were headed out on a date with a guy and he had grown a beard since he took his profile pictures (God I hate beards), I would probably sit through a quick date with him. As for the situation with this girl, surely he could've at least called or texted her and made up an excuse instead of just leaving her sitting there?

On to other matters . . . I'm moving a couple hundred miles in a month, should I start an OKCupid profile now or wait until I've actually moved? You get more hits when your profile's new, right?

Now begins the quest to think up a cool username . . .

i'd probably wait until you've moved to make an account, that way you can also use it and perhaps make new friends in the area too. welcome to the hilariously awful world of internet dating!

retrovm on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    retrovm wrote: »
    hilariously awful
    YOU LEAVE ME OUT OF THIS!
    world of internet dating!

Oh... wait... carry on.

ITT: Forar is bored at work.

Forar on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    hahahahahahaha, excellent.

retrovm on
  • Options
    SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Bored at work, eh? Well here you go. Just gonna leave that... right... there.

Spacemilk on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Spacemilk wrote: »

Like I need more reasons to ignore The Bachelor / Bachelorette?

Forar on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Forar wrote: »

seriously, the eye-syphilis was enough

Joolander on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Joolander wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »

seriously, the eye-syphilis was enough

Yeah Iwaitwhat?

Forar on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I don't care about the bachelorette, in fact, I thought the article was quite good but I felt annoyed they had to keep using examples from that stupid show.

Yeah uh eye syphilis whaaaaa?

Spacemilk on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    its like eye-cancer, but sexier

Joolander on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Nice guy persecution syndrome is a thing. It is the sad sacks that are affected and nothing will convince them they aren't perfect and it is the women & "jerks" that are the real problem. When really, they are just some creepy motherfuckers.

For latecomers, we had this argument last thread when a guy had done all these MIND NUMBINGLY NICE THINGS for a girl and she made out with a "douchebag in a bar". How horrible for her not to sex him up for his substitution of a personality with over the top gestures when they barely knew each other.

It's kind of like one sided prostitution only they hope that holding a pretty strangers hand when they are sick will replace money... when really most people find other people having wants, desires and dreams sexy.

edit: Jezebel nailed it completely w/ the part about finding out what a person really likes versus doing cliche romantic things without taking them into account.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I remember that conversation.

It was... interesting.

Forar on
  • Options
    Mercutio87Mercutio87 So build that wall and build it strong cause We'll be there before too longRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Infidel wrote: »
    If you are not comfortable with the current you, I am not either.

This.

Seconded. This is also why ended up taking previously mentioned recent date back to my place. She was extremely confident and comfortable with herself, and that's downright sexy.

Mercutio87 on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Their philosophy is kind of funny (but mostly sad) until you realize they are really treating women like whores. They tot up all these things that they do like they are balancing the scale to get the girl while the "jerks" don't.

That is now how relationships work. I don't keep track of whether or not I give my partner (or friend) a hug, take them to a fancy spontaneous dinner or rent their favorite movie when they're sick. You just both do it.

Or, alternately, you get in a relationship when there is chemistry and mutual attraction. Not because you ran down a checklist of things to do for someone until they give in. In a way, these guys are really shortchanging themselves there too to feel like they have to do all this stuff before someone will genuinely like them.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Mercutio87 wrote: »

This.

Seconded. This is also why ended up taking previously mentioned recent date back to my place. She was extremely confident and comfortable with herself, and that's downright sexy.

Agree!

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    GungHo wrote: »
    Seriously, there are people bitching about girls misrepresenting their weight, when barely 10 pages ago we had guys talking about lying about (excuse me, "artificially inflating") their height and income? Seriously?

How about penis size?
    TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE AND NOT ONLY WILL I NOT EVER BE FRIENDS WITH YOU, I WILL NEVER WANT TO TALK TO YOU OR EVEN SPEND SOME TIME HANGING OUT WITH YOU

actually if i know the alleged size of a guy's penis BEFORE i meet him, i'm probably not actually going to meet him because that's some creepy stuff right there

Guess I'll have to change my OKC profile name from 12 Inch Joe.

GungHo on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

This.

Agree!

The big girls I know that get some, it's all about confidence. Confidence is entirely what I find sexy as well.

It almost made me cringe when I answered some questions publicly on OKC recently and it asked the one "are you looking for someone to complete you or not" type question. D: I'm totally not what you're looking for there, I like independence and an independent partner. If you're not functional on your own, the relationship will be disfunctional imo, and it's a big turnoff.

I cannot recall the exact wording of that question but it was not just the romantic notion but something that I found offensive really. :?

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Seriously, there are people bitching about girls misrepresenting their weight, when barely 10 pages ago we had guys talking about lying about (excuse me, "artificially inflating") their height and income? Seriously?

How about penis size?
    TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE AND NOT ONLY WILL I NOT EVER BE FRIENDS WITH YOU, I WILL NEVER WANT TO TALK TO YOU OR EVEN SPEND SOME TIME HANGING OUT WITH YOU

actually if i know the alleged size of a guy's penis BEFORE i meet him, i'm probably not actually going to meet him because that's some creepy stuff right there

Guess I'll have to change my OKC profile name from 12 Inch Joe.

Or swap the G and H :winky:

Buddies on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

This.

Agree!

The big girls I know that get some, it's all about confidence. Confidence is entirely what I find sexy as well.

It almost made me cringe when I answered some questions publicly on OKC recently and it asked the one "are you looking for someone to complete you or not" type question. D: I'm totally not what you're looking for there, I like independence and an independent partner. If you're not functional on your own, the relationship will be disfunctional imo, and it's a big turnoff.

I cannot recall the exact wording of that question but it was not just the romantic notion but something that I found offensive really. :?

Yeah, I had the same reaction to that question.

Corvus on
  • Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    so did you guys have an experience that was really, i guess, front loaded?

i got 5 messages in the first few days of signing up, but haven't gotten any in weeks and have lost interest since.

iowa on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    iowa wrote: »

i got 5 messages in the first few days of signing up, but haven't gotten any in weeks and have lost interest since.

The key is to make a new account every week so you look like you're new to this ;)

NotYou on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    NotYou wrote: »

The key is to make a new account every week so you look like you're new to this ;)

You gotta get out there and hustle hustle hustle. Coffee is for closers only: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-AXTx4PcKI

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    edited July 2010

As was said in the last page or so, keep making minor edits to your profile so you pop up in people's feeds.

Corvus on
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Heh. Two new messages today. One from a 95% match who asked me if I play StarCraft 2 (SCORE) ...

... And another from a 75% match who got the spelling question wrong and thinks the government should ban the burning of the flag -- and who is dating for someone to raise children. No thanks. He's really cute, though.

Melkster on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well hey.

She beat my estimated time by 4 hours.

Not getting back into things (too much of a roller coaster, etc, etc). But we both got a degree of closure.

And I got to experience what being on the opposite side of a "reading too much into nothing" freak-out like I used to have is like.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Just Some DudeJust Some Dude Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've always had a problem with the "You just need to have confidence in who you are" bit because it's not something you can just go and do.

Just Some Dude on
    Cog in the machine Cog Herder
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    dating is full of little catch-22s

Joolander on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've always had a problem with the "You just need to have confidence in who you are" bit because it's not something you can just go and do.

On the other hand, it's not something which anyone else can do for you.

It's something you have to work at. But like most things which require effort, it's worth it.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Jragghen wrote: »

On the other hand, it's not something which anyone else can do for you.

It's something you have to work at. But like most things which require effort, it's worth it.

once again, this man has all the answers
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af1OxkFOK18

how very zen of you, Dr. Campbell

Joolander on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Lucky- I've not gotten a single message from anyone other than the creator of the site. Now, I also acknowledge that this is partly my fault because I haven't messaged anyone either.

I'm bad at this whole dating thing :lol:

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Guys can't really afford to wait to be messaged. I'm pretty sure girls that get a lot of messages tend to not bother looking, let alone sending first messages. You might luck out but it pays to at least find your top picks and message them before you sit back and wait.

Zek on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yep... and, while I intellectually understand that i've always been hesitant to ask- I was hoping the anonymity of the internet would help out with that but seems like its just a high wall for me to climb in general.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    hah, only one person i've messaged has responded strangely. though I was messaging a lot of older women mostly.

one person kept creeping my profile, there were at least 3 separate times that I saw a visit. When I messaged her there was no response. this whole thing is really a silly game. well at least it makes more sense if you view it as such

iowa on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    hah, only one person i've messaged has responded strangely. though I was messaging a lot of older women mostly.

one person kept creeping my profile, there were at least 3 separate times that I saw a visit. When I messaged her there was no response. this whole thing is really a silly game. well at least it makes more sense if you view it as such
    and that, right there, is why i always browse privately

i don't want to be stuck reading a lot into someone else's actions and i certainly don't want someone else to do that to me

Spacemilk on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    i guess it's hard for me to imagine worrying what people on this site think about me. [edit: 'people on this site' sounds derogatory but obviously i am a person who uses this site so it ain't like that] I think the most reasonable response would be to assume that this person is shy if she's been looking at the page several times so I might as well just give it a shot.

remember; the worst thing that happens here is that you either don't get a response or, if youre the person, you get a message from the person youve crept and promptly delete it. have a nice life, folks

iowa on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010

Nice guy persecution syndrome is a thing. It is the sad sacks that are affected and nothing will convince them they aren't perfect and it is the women & "jerks" that are the real problem. When really, they are just some creepy motherfuckers.

For latecomers, we had this argument last thread when a guy had done all these MIND NUMBINGLY NICE THINGS for a girl and she made out with a "douchebag in a bar". How horrible for her not to sex him up for his substitution of a personality with over the top gestures when they barely knew each other.

It's kind of like one sided prostitution only they hope that holding a pretty strangers hand when they are sick will replace money... when really most people find other people having wants, desires and dreams sexy.

edit: Jezebel nailed it completely w/ the part about finding out what a person really likes versus doing cliche romantic things without taking them into account.

You really don't know when to give up, do you? I'm really sick and fucking tired of your constant bullshit about me. I walked away from the last argument and yet, here you are, still pushing. Fucking drop it and fuck off already.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Sure, this is true. But, if you work at self improvement, whether it is working out, learning new skills, going to school, getting a better job, whatever, it will help you out.

This may be going to extreme, but if you aren't feeling good about yourself, it may not even be wise for you to be attempting to date or be on a dating website. Lack of confidence, or even worse, desperation, is like romance kryptonite.

Corvus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

You really don't know when to give up, do you? I'm really sick and fucking tired of your constant bullshit about me. I walked away from the last argument and yet, here you are, still pushing. Fucking drop it and fuck off already.

oh my god what the hell are you on about? he didn't say ANYTHING about you there. chill the fuck out.

retrovm on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Corvus wrote: »

Sure, this is true. But, if you work at self improvement, whether it is working out, learning new skills, going to school, getting a better job, whatever, it will help you out.

This may be going to extreme, but if you aren't feeling good about yourself, it may not even be wise for you to be attempting to date or be on a dating website. Lack of confidence, or even worse, desperation, is like romance kryptonite.

people can smell desperation from a mile away, and it is a baaaaad cologne. but generally if you're feeling shitty about yourself, trying to fix it by being in a relationship or dating someone won't help at all, it will just prolong the inevitable and unload a ton of baggage onto that other person.

retrovm on
This discussion has been closed.