As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Apparently PayPal likes to screw people at random.

MechalusMechalus Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
:x

I'm pissed.

Apparently I've been "randomly selected" to get screwed over by PayPal. The payment for the an eBay auction I just ended is being held by Paypal until the buyer receives the package. Meaning my $160 is being held hostage until the post office can complete a delivery... to Brazil.

I called them and apparently they just do this to people at random for "security purposes", which is just stupid.

It'll probably be a month before I get my money.

This ever happen to anyone else?

Principle Designer on...
Nova Praxis - a post-singularity sci-fi setting that explores transhumanism and post-scarcity societies against a backdrop of action, adventure, conspiracy and intrigue- for Fate and Savage Worlds.
Strands of Fate, a FATE RPG core rulebook for all genres.
VoidStarSig-small.jpg
Mechalus on

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've bought stuff from people and they've been on my ass to send feedback on the item because paypal has done this to them. I thought it was fairly standard practice for them now to just escrow the funds if it's an ebay thing...?

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    PayPal has always been a pile of ass. Their customer service is terrible. I stopped using Ebay to sell things once they made PayPal mandatory on all auctions.

JustinSane07 on
  • MechalusMechalus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've completed about 15 auctions in the last two months and this is the first time they've done this.

Total of 50 auctions over the last few years, 100% positive feedback.

I need the cash quick, and had I known they were going to do this, I'd have refused to sell outside of the USA. Now I've got to wait.

Next time I doubt I'll use Paypal. A check in the mail would probably be faster than this.

Mechalus on
    Principle Designer on...
    Nova Praxis - a post-singularity sci-fi setting that explores transhumanism and post-scarcity societies against a backdrop of action, adventure, conspiracy and intrigue- for Fate and Savage Worlds.
    VoidStarSig-small.jpg
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I had something happen in my 'favour'.

Paypal disputed a transaction on my behalf and got me my money back when the payment I had made was completely legitimate and I was very happy with my purchase! It actually really annoyed me as I hate to screw people over and Paypal provided me with no way to dispute the disputation.

The money's currently sitting in my account while I figure out how to send it back to the website I bought the goods off.

They also locked down my account while they disputed the transaction. Er, thanks for being concerned, Paypal, but why don't you take your time to respond to people whose accounts have been genuinely hacked?

Janson on
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Weird. I don't do a huge number of purchases with paypal (not a big ebayer), maybe three to six a year. But this year when someone screwed me and sent me an obviously faulty product, paypal disputed in my favour and got me a refund. Every once in a while I also use it to transfer money to or from people online.

Ego on
    Erik
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I just sold something within the US and they are holding the money like this. I just figured it was standard.

So It Goes on
    edited June 2010
    So It Goes wrote: »
    I just sold something within the US and they are holding the money like this. I just figured it was standard.

Apparently if you've never sold anything before, if you have a disputed claim, or if you have some bad feedback; it's pretty common.

But the woman I talked to today told me that they also randomly select from everyone, and I guess I hit the lottery of suck.

Mechalus on
    Principle Designer on...
    VoidStarSig-small.jpg
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Mechalus wrote: »

Apparently if you've never sold anything before, if you have a disputed claim, or if you have some bad feedback; it's pretty common.

But the woman I talked to today told me that they also randomly select from everyone, and I guess I hit the lottery of suck.

Yeah I don't have any of those things. I haven't sold anything on ebay for a while so maybe that's why.

So It Goes on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It happened to me once, it's a dumb practice but I can see why they would think that they need added security for transactions like this. They should just hold the payment until proof that the package has been shipped is received.

I mean, you print out the shipping label from online right? Just have the bar code scanned when you drop it off to prove I sent the package and give me my money paypal!

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

While I don't wish to insinuate you're lying or embellishing things here, I have a very hard time imagining that some paypal customer service rep would actually admit to you that they just fucked with people now and then at random. Like, I work with some higher level CS oriented types, and they'd shit bricks if one of their people just said "yeah, we fucked with you for no reason at all". I could buy some legallese double-speak about random distribution patterns and algorithms associated with phases of the moon causing an unintentional service disruption, but not "lawl, just joshin' ya" (in more words).

Personally I've used Paypal somewhere around 500-600+ times in the past decade (Ebay rating around 425 plus lots of repeat service with some select sellers) and don't recall ever having any trouble with them, though it's worth noting that I stopped selling things on Ebay a good half decade ago, so seller's issues aren't something I'm terribly familiar with.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've sold...well, a lot of stuff (and a wide variety of it) over eBay for the last four years or so. I've had some problems--but the vast majority of them stem from the fact that buyers, surprise surprise, can be assholes on occasion. Like normal humans.

I've had PayPal problems occasionally, but nothing as inconvenient as OP has. Never had a payment held--I've had buyers forget to pay, and subsequently saw them removed from eBay (surprisingly easy), but never had a payment withheld. Very unusual.

That being said, I completely believe it would suck if it happened--PayPal's customer service leaves something to be desired, speaking from experience (it used to be worse, about 8 years ago, but that's another story altogether). And those inconveniences I've had have alwayscome from me being a seller, never a buyer.

What happened sucks, make no mistake, but I guess nothing's perfect? I know people who've lost hundreds of dollars on Steam due to what they've blamed as carelessness on the part of Valve, and I now know people who get valuable purchases withheld on eBay.

Honestly, I avoid selling things outside the United States on eBay. I will sell stuff overseas, particularly in Taiwan and Japan, but usually use some other service or arrangement.

Synthesis on
    edited June 2010
    Forar wrote: »

While I don't wish to insinuate you're lying or embellishing things here, I have a very hard time imagining that some paypal customer service rep would actually admit to you that they just fucked with people now and then at random. Like, I work with some higher level CS oriented types, and they'd shit bricks if one of their people just said "yeah, we fucked with you for no reason at all". I could buy some legallese double-speak about random distribution patterns and algorithms associated with phases of the moon causing an unintentional service disruption, but not "lawl, just joshin' ya" (in more words).

Personally I've used Paypal somewhere around 500-600+ times in the past decade (Ebay rating around 425 plus lots of repeat service with some select sellers) and don't recall ever having any trouble with them, though it's worth noting that I stopped selling things on Ebay a good half decade ago, so seller's issues aren't something I'm terribly familiar with.

She didn't say they randomly picked people to screw with them for kicks, but to "provide a safer service".

It just so happens that their method of "providing a safer service" really screws over the seller while providing a service to the buyer that he probably isn't going to need.

I'm not really even saying it's a bad idea, just that I wasn't expecting this and they sprung it on me at a really bad time.

As Witch_Hunter said, if they could just release the funds when I shipped it, that'd be cool. But I've got to wait for it to get to Brazil, which is going to take a while.

Mechalus on
    Principle Designer on...
    VoidStarSig-small.jpg
    edited June 2010
    Forar wrote: »

She didn't say they randomly picked people to screw with them for kicks, but to "provide a safer service".

It just so happens that their method of "providing a safer service" really screws over the seller while providing a service to the buyer that he probably isn't going to need.

I'm not really even saying it's a bad idea, just that I wasn't expecting this and they sprung it on me at a really bad time.

As Witch_Hunter said, if they could just release the funds when I shipped it, that'd be cool. But I've got to wait for it to get to Brazil, which is going to take a while.

Unfortunately, this pretty much defeats the entire point of this admittedly bad method of buyer protection.

Short of some sort of documented confirmation from a shipper--and even that is suspect--what is someone going to do? Mark a product as shipped, and that'll be that. The majority of honest, decent sellers--myself included--rarely purchase tracking information.

Releasing the funds upon shipment is basically taking the seller at his or her word. Of course, that doesn't mean the whole "precaution" isn't kind of stupid anyway.

Synthesis on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    They do it to you if you sell things over a certain amount too.

And it's a LOW amount. Like, 50 dollar video games are over the amount. It's bullshit. "Oh, sorry, we're keeping this money till you send the thing. But even if we get the tracking number you don't get the money till you get feedback left. Enjoy!"

Fuckers. Paypal is simply awful. Although when it works, it works.

SniperGuy on
    edited June 2010
    Weird. Practically everything I sell is over $50, and I haven't had payment held. I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't lower limit to it though.

I sold a Intel E8400 for (a disappointing) $120. No payment withheld. Again, purely anecdotal.

Synthesis on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Weird. Practically everything I sell is over $50, and I haven't had payment held. I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't lower limit to it though.

I sold a Intel E8400 for (a disappointing) $120. No payment withheld. Again, purely anecdotal.

Well shit, what the fuck paypal?

SniperGuy on
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I had a friend who was legitimately screwed out of some money via paypal, and as a result I've been involved in a one man boycott ever since.

Kinda sucks, since I wanted to buy a video card off of another forumer a little while back, but since we were in different countries paypal was the only real viable option.

SmokeStacks on
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The thing I hate about paypal is the how easy it is to do a chargeback if your account gets compromised. What the fuck? it's not my responsibility to keep your account safe, now I'm out some money because of you.

Jars on
    edited June 2010
    Jars wrote: »
    The thing I hate about paypal is the how easy it is to do a chargeback if your account gets compromised. What the fuck? it's not my responsibility to keep your account safe, now I'm out some money because of you.

Can you elaborate? I mean, it sounds like something that's worth being wary of.

Synthesis on
    edited June 2010
    So I called Paypal last night thinking that maybe I could get this hold lifted. No luck. They explained that the specific reason my money was held was because:

1. I have had less than 100 transactions. (I've completed 50.)

2. The category the item was placed in is considered a "risk" category. It was a Dungeons and Dragons miniature.

So since the buyer was in Brazil and I knew it would take about a month to get this straightened out, I refunded the buyer his money and cancelled the transaction.

Mechalus on
    Principle Designer on...
    VoidStarSig-small.jpg
  • Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just a quick question, If the money is held in an escrow account, does paypal make interest off it?
    Cause if it was a revenue stream this whole thing would make a lot more sense, though I doubt it would be much so its probably not a real concern.

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!