As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

San Francisco - Stuff to Do

ShrieveShrieve Game DesignerCaliforniaRegistered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey H/A.

So I'm staying in San Francisco for the summer for an internship. So far things have been pretty cool; the place I'm staying at currently is very nice (I originally was in a bad apartment, but moved out after a few nights of trying to come home after the sun went down), my job is turning out to be pretty interesting, and overall it's a nice change of pace from Orange County.

Only downside is the lame WiFi I have at my flat, which has a hard time keeping up with anything beyond low resolution hulu. I was hoping I could keep in touch with my friends back home by playing some TF2, LoL, etc and chatting on vent. After a night of aggravating disconnects, I thought I just might try out an internet cafe to spend some evenings after work... But after a google maps search it seems they don't even exist around here (at least in any area near my job or house).

So now it seems I'm up here for 3 months without the ability to spend some nights gaming with my friends back home. How archaic. I'm hoping that I'll connect up with some of my current co-workers, however I've only been here a few days and most seem to be a bit older and in their own 'cliques.' Anyways maybe I'm just not used to the city or no access to a car, but what the hell can I do in the evenings while I'm here? It's not like I can bar hop or eat out at all these cool cafes every night, cause a) I don't make enough cash for that, b) I do have to get to bed at a decent hour, and c) wandering around the city at night doesn't seem like something a girl should do by herself.

So what do college age San Franciscans do in the city limits? I mean I'm sure I could walk down the street and find some pot and then lurk on the PA forums but I actually wanted to have something to remember for this summer up here.

FkbtS.png
Shrieve on

• Options
    HerkimerHerkimer Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    there was a "oh hey what do I do in San Francisco" thread in here like a week ago.

Herkimer on
  • Options
    ShrieveShrieve Game Designer CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ah I originally searched 'San Fran' and got something 2 years old; just tried it again with cisco in there and found it: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=121088

Cool I'll take a look.

Edit: mostly it looks like a lot of the touristy stuff that I covered with my parents when they stayed up here for a few days after moving me in. The arcade near the wharf and the free museum nights sound interesting though.

Shrieve on
    FkbtS.png
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    How old are you? I would try A) bars + dancing. Popscene should still be 18+ if you're not of drinking age. 2) The bay area's outdoor offerings are amazing. There are dozens of miles of trails for biking, hiking and running, especially in the east bay and many are readily accessible by BART. There's an amazing wealth of art and cultural opportunies. The Guardian is a good place to get started.

I am a bay area native who is not particularly crazy about SF. It's small and lots of interesting people have been forced out by the waves of gentrification during the 2000s.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1