As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Starting a website and finding a registrar/web host that is not evil [SOLVED]

AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm starting up a website- I've planned everything except for what host I'll use and who I want to register a domain name with. (The domain name I plan on using isn't taken at the moment, and I don't expect it to be snatched up any time soon.) I want to avoid GoDaddy due to bad past experiences, and I'm trying here because I prefer word of mouth to online reviews.

For the domain name, I'm just trying to find a registrar that won't charge ridiculous amounts to hide my personal information from a WHOIS. Preferably one that also has a history of not just giving customer information away.

As for the hosting, I'm willing to spend in the range of $150-$200 a year if the customer service is good. Possibly more if anyone can recommend someone highly. I'd prefer "unlimited" bandwidth (meaning a fair bit before you get contacted), and possibly up to 20 gigabytes of space. (The closest equivalent to what I plan on making is a large-sized blog, how much space could that take up over a few months? Over a few years?)

Before anything else, however- if I'm starting this website as a business (advertisements, registered, etc...) based in the United States, would I have any problems if I used a hosting provider in, say, the United Kingdom? Canada? Or would that be undesirable for another reason that I haven't thought of?

tl; dr, if you can recommend me a good web host you have experience with that isn't evil, I will <3 you.

**I ended up going with Dreamhost. Thanks!

Antithesis on

• Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My current favorite registrar is register4less It's closely affiliated with the userfriendly comic strip.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I use ipower.

They're a little slow from time to time, but they're very cheap. You get all the storage and bandwidth you need (everything you mentioned) plus more. They have a live chat that is very fast and has always solved any issue I have either immediately or within 24 hours. I've never had a site down, even if it was due to my poor wordpress installs, for more than a day, and that was rare.

They cost about $100 a year for hosting, maybe less if they're running a sale. Domain is included with that, and privacy is another $8 a year, but you can also manually change your whois info through them so that it can be "john doe at 555 road drive, citysville iowa, 12345" if you want.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I went with Webfaction for a Django project. I have absolutely no complaints. They are fantastic. Support for almost every popular platform, and SSH access to install any kind of server you want (within memory limits) if that's not enough. The site control panel is great, as is the community.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Nothing is better than Dreamhost.

You might may a couple dollars more a month (between $8-$10/month) but you get unlimited everything and amazing customer service.

I have yet to had any issues with them. Every other host I've used has sucked.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    http://www.montecarlohosting.net/

I've been using them with great results for awhile now. No lag, no slow downs, very responsive support and their customer interface is good.

I would definitely recommend against Aplus.net.

ransim on
  • Options
    KryptykSolKryptykSol Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    seconding dreamhost, their web panel is top notch, excellent service and pricing as well.

KryptykSol on