WoW character portrait FTW!

AruAru Registered User
edited January 2007 in Artist's Corner
Hey,

I offered to do a portrait of a mate's human mage wow character and used it as opporunity to learn photoshop, this is my first crack. If all goes well I hope to perhaps offer to do portraits of peoples characters for a bit of petty cash.

I added in a background from the game, but the rest is all me. Please hit me up with crits and if ya want if you would pay for something of this standard, and if so how much?
Cheers.

ZALBO-aP.jpg

And the original character:
Zalbo1.jpg

Edit: Added original character.

"You've had all the word Nourishment you need" - Vince Noir
Aru on

• DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    very anime, but i like it, his arms do seem a little stiff

Deusfaux on
  • NatriNatri Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Imo, your portrait doesn't really look like that mage.. He's way too skinny in comparison to that picture, and the faces also don't resemble. But the style you're drawing in is pretty cool, so if you can get a resemblance into your portraits, you're on a good start :)

Natri on
    www.instagram.com/ceneven
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Add some breasts and that could very well be Carmen Sandiego.

Also, I hate that CG background... why not draw it?

MagicToaster on
  • Darken RahlDarken Rahl Registered User
    edited January 2007
    Worst case, run the illustrator live trace on it, it'd be better regardless...

Darken Rahl on
    imtoobigfrenbook.jpg
  • The One Dark KnightThe One Dark Knight Registered User
    edited January 2007
    Why does WoW art ALWAYS use cgi backgrounds?

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Natri wrote:
    Imo, your portrait doesn't really look like that mage.. He's way too skinny in comparison to that picture, and the faces also don't resemble. But the style you're drawing in is pretty cool, so if you can get a resemblance into your portraits, you're on a good start :)
    The problem with WoW is that you have very little power over what your character's physical appearance is.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • ElEl Registered User
    edited January 2007
    Why does WoW art ALWAYS use cgi backgrounds?

I wonder. I think the character, despite not bearing a strong resemblance to the original, is well drawn and coloured...but it looks pretty incongruous against that background.

El on
    link4.jpg bannertwo.jpg
  • punbeard81punbeard81 Registered User
    edited January 2007
    Overall, it's a solid picture, but there are a couple of small things that could push it over the border of good into great. The build is a little scrawny compared to the original. Your drawing doesn't look as weathered and well traveled as the base pic either. He actually seems like he could almost be his son.

Your shade style is beautiful, but I think the pic would benifit from one more layer of small highlights to bring out all the grays you have. Also, the reds from the magic on his clothes would probably be a little lighter.

The pose isn't bad, but it almost looks like he's waiting for a high five, or his putting magic into the scepter rather than drawing it out. Pull the arm back more, maybe bend it to show he's drawing it to him. (Think Shang Sung in MK3 when he sucks a soul off someone).

I agree with the others, you need a better solution for the background. Draw it, or drop it. Surround him in magic, or use flatter, simple bg's. The 3D doesn't look bad, but swallows your character a bit.

As is, I think you could easily get 30 to 50 bucks, I don't know how long it takes you to crank one of these out so figure if that's worth your time, and obviously if you enjoy it. You got some mad skills and people who can't draw love to see their characters in and outside the game so it's a market that's there for sure. If you get more demand, up the price.

punbeard81 on
  • StealthNachosStealthNachos Registered User
    edited January 2007
    I reveal my "Filter " trap card!

I chain with my "Stiff Pose" instant magic card!

I reveal another trap card-

Wha-?

"Anerexia"! Wich allows me to use my monster's special ability: "Fly Swatted"!

ZOMFGWTFFTL!

Edit: That wasn't constructive. You obviously started learning an anime style before learning the fundamentals. Yadda, yadda, yadda, pick up an anatomy book or 2, start drawing from life. It isn't difficult, lurk and you'll find out. Just takes time and knowledge.

Also, I'm not saying it's bad because I hate anime or something, I'm saying that even people that do anime learn the basics and then come back and turn it into thier own style. That's just how it goes.

StealthNachos on
    I tend to ramble.
  • AruAru Registered User
    edited January 2007
    Cheers for the suggestions everyone. I realise the background is not the greatest, I will work on a proper one and post it ASAP.

As for the style, I am of the mind that because the wow characters are so generic (all one build, only a few faces to choose), it would be more appropriate to have a mage be a bit thinner as opposed to in the game where a mage is of the same build as a warrior.

Punbeard: I wanted to give the impression that he was pouring magic from his hand to the staff rather than the other way round. ANd you are right about the red light thrown onto the figure, i will lighten it further. Also, will chuck in some further highlights.

StealthNachos: I cant see what you mean about it being anatomically incorrect outside of the stylized thinness of it.
    Ill post up the updated pic as soon as possible.

Aru on
    "You've had all the word Nourishment you need" - Vince Noir
  • FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    bloody necromancer

• GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    Please, do not post in threads that haven't been updated in years or even months for that matter. This person's images aren't even online anymore.

This discussion has been closed.