As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Best free anti-virus program?

Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
What's the best free anti-virus program out there on the internets?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dublo7 on
«1

Posts

  • Options
    MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    AVG Free or Avast!, really.

    Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Thanks a lot.
    I'll give AVG a try.

    Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't mean to be negative, but I used AVG and it was awful. It couldn't detect a lot of trojans that ended up getting through and causing me all sorts of harm. I bought a Kaspersky license and it detected and eliminated every issue I had, so far as getting rid of new, undocumented, and extremely hard to remove trojans. Christ, I don't even know how I got all these trojans, but Kaspersky did the job where AVG Free didn't.

    Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dashui wrote:
    I don't mean to be negative, but I used AVG and it was awful. It couldn't detect a lot of trojans that ended up getting through and causing me all sorts of harm. I bought a Kaspersky license and it detected and eliminated every issue I had, so far as getting rid of new, undocumented, and extremely hard to remove trojans. Christ, I don't even know how I got all these trojans, but Kaspersky did the job where AVG Free didn't.

    I used it once to remove a virus and it just killed my PC. Wouldn't boot after AVG did whatever it did.

    If you have a virus... you'll probably spend less time reformatting instead of trying to remove it. Just my opinion

    Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    OzmodaiOzmodai Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've been using AVG for years now and have never had a problem.

    Ozmodai on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Dashui wrote:
    I don't mean to be negative, but I used AVG and it was awful. It couldn't detect a lot of trojans that ended up getting through and causing me all sorts of harm. I bought a Kaspersky license and it detected and eliminated every issue I had, so far as getting rid of new, undocumented, and extremely hard to remove trojans. Christ, I don't even know how I got all these trojans, but Kaspersky did the job where AVG Free didn't.

    This is why it's recommended as one of the best, free anti-virus programs.

    Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I like Anti-Vir. Good ol' German engineering at its finest.

    http://www.free-av.com/

    Delzhand on
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Delzhand wrote:
    I like Anti-Vir. Good ol' German engineering at its finest.

    http://www.free-av.com/

    Yeah, me too.

    elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I used to think AVG did a really good job, andit did. But then there was one update that it would download which then proceeded to bluescreen my computer until I went into safe moe and restored it to a time before the update was downloaded.

    SirUltimos on
  • Options
    djklaydjklay Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If I want to run a scan I head to Trend Micro's Housecall. As long as your internet connection is still running, it works good.

    djklay on
  • Options
    DírhaelDírhael NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Delzhand wrote:
    I like Anti-Vir. Good ol' German engineering at its finest.

    http://www.free-av.com/

    It sure is a lovely application. I bought the premium version, which is even better :)

    If it's a completely free AV you need though, I'd actually recommend you to download AOL's Active Virus Shield. Despite the name, it's actually just a slightly slimmed down version of Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6, which is one of the very best AV's you can get. Some of the best detection rates, lightweight & as secure as you'll ever get for free. Just remember to untick the option to install AOL's toolbar at the end of the installation.

    Dírhael on
  • Options
    MitsuhideMitsuhide Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I like Avast!, but is that Ad-Aware SE any good?

    Mitsuhide on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    elkatas wrote:
    Delzhand wrote:
    I like Anti-Vir. Good ol' German engineering at its finest.

    http://www.free-av.com/

    Yeah, me too.
    It's served me well for quite a while.

    Xagarath on
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Mitsuhide wrote:
    I like Avast!, but is that Ad-Aware SE any good?

    Ad-aware is great. It's just not for viruses. It's for spyware and malware, which are just as annoying.

    Endomatic on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Endomatic wrote:
    Mitsuhide wrote:
    I like Avast!, but is that Ad-Aware SE any good?

    Ad-aware is great. It's just not for viruses. It's for spyware and malware, which are just as annoying.
    I prefer Spybot, myself.

    Xagarath on
  • Options
    Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I prefer Avast!

    ...cus it is Czech.

    :lol:

    Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dìrhael wrote:

    If it's a completely free AV you need though, I'd actually recommend you to download AOL's Active Virus Shield. Despite the name, it's actually just a slightly slimmed down version of Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6, which is one of the very best AV's you can get. Some of the best detection rates, lightweight & as secure as you'll ever get for free. Just remember to untick the option to install AOL's toolbar at the end of the installation.
    It requires you to uninstall other anti-virus software in order to install it.
    This smells dubious.

    Xagarath on
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Spybot is pretty good too. I have both.

    Endomatic on
  • Options
    DírhaelDírhael NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Xagarath wrote:
    Dìrhael wrote:

    If it's a completely free AV you need though, I'd actually recommend you to download AOL's Active Virus Shield. Despite the name, it's actually just a slightly slimmed down version of Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6, which is one of the very best AV's you can get. Some of the best detection rates, lightweight & as secure as you'll ever get for free. Just remember to untick the option to install AOL's toolbar at the end of the installation.
    It requires you to uninstall other anti-virus software in order to install it.
    This smells dubious.

    There's a entirely reasonable explanation for that. First, the regular Kaspersky will do exactly the same as AOL's version is developed by Kaspersky Labs, and it pretty much the same application, just with a different skin. Secondly, you should never ever under any circumstances whatsoever have more than 1 real-time AV shield running at the same time. Never. Doing so will at best not help you at all, but more often the two applications can cancel each other out and at worst even break your Windows installation, forcing you to reinstall the OS.

    Dírhael on
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I like Avast! as well. It's certainly a breath of fresh air after Norton's resource hogging, focus stealing bullshit.

    TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dìrhael wrote:
    Xagarath wrote:
    Dìrhael wrote:

    If it's a completely free AV you need though, I'd actually recommend you to download AOL's Active Virus Shield. Despite the name, it's actually just a slightly slimmed down version of Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6, which is one of the very best AV's you can get. Some of the best detection rates, lightweight & as secure as you'll ever get for free. Just remember to untick the option to install AOL's toolbar at the end of the installation.
    It requires you to uninstall other anti-virus software in order to install it.
    This smells dubious.

    There's a entirely reasonable explanation for that. First, the regular Kaspersky will do exactly the same as AOL's version is developed by Kaspersky Labs, and it pretty much the same application, just with a different skin. Secondly, you should never ever under any circumstances whatsoever have more than 1 real-time AV shield running at the same time. Never. Doing so will at best not help you at all, but more often the two applications can cancel each other out and at worst even break your Windows installation, forcing you to reinstall the OS.
    This is truth. Our campus gives out McAfee for free on CDs we give to freshmen, and there're always some idiots who install it on their Norton-protected machines. The result is that the machine boots but becomes slow as all hell, takes 10 minutes for a program to open etc. We usually get rid of Norton in that case, generally because it's time-limited trial that comes on their shiny new college computers, but also because Norton sucks.

    UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    MitsuhideMitsuhide Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Xagarath wrote:
    Endomatic wrote:
    Mitsuhide wrote:
    I like Avast!, but is that Ad-Aware SE any good?

    Ad-aware is great. It's just not for viruses. It's for spyware and malware, which are just as annoying.
    I prefer Spybot, myself.

    Tha's cool because I use both Ad Aware and Spybot. :wink:

    Mitsuhide on
  • Options
    fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Mitsuhide wrote:
    Xagarath wrote:
    Endomatic wrote:
    Mitsuhide wrote:
    I like Avast!, but is that Ad-Aware SE any good?

    Ad-aware is great. It's just not for viruses. It's for spyware and malware, which are just as annoying.
    I prefer Spybot, myself.

    Tha's cool because I use both Ad Aware and Spybot. :wink:
    For anti-spyware, the more programs the better. Of course you don't want any of them running simultaneously, but scanning with all of them, one after the other, helps significantly in deep cleaning computers.

    fogeyman on
  • Options
    BiggNifeBiggNife Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Xagarath wrote:
    elkatas wrote:
    Delzhand wrote:
    I like Anti-Vir. Good ol' German engineering at its finest.

    http://www.free-av.com/

    Yeah, me too.
    It's served me well for quite a while.
    Having used both Anti-Vir and AVG, I prefer Anti-Vir. In my experience, it has detected viruses that AVG did not.

    BiggNife on
  • Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've never had a virus program on my PC, but every now and then when I think I might have something I use

    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

    That site will pick up EVERYTHING.

    musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Antivir is definitely better than both AVAST and AVG, I've tried all three, and Antivir is definitely the least bloated, and most effective. The only thing is that it pops up a banner to get you to buy the premium version every time you update, but it's a small price to pay for much improved AV over the other two.


    And it's not just me, IIRC, it was either PCmag or PCworld that did a showdown a few months back, and found that Antivir outperformed the other two, by far.

    Recoil42 on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Antivir also has this weird thing where it detects srvany.exe as a virus. Not on a manual scan, just on the on-access scan..and it does it even to a fresh install of Windows.

    Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    DírhaelDírhael NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Recoil42 wrote:
    Antivir is definitely better than both AVAST and AVG, I've tried all three, and Antivir is definitely the least bloated, and most effective. The only thing is that it pops up a banner to get you to buy the premium version every time you update, but it's a small price to pay for much improved AV over the other two.


    And it's not just me, IIRC, it was either PCmag or PCworld that did a showdown a few months back, and found that Antivir outperformed the other two, by far.

    It's actually quite easy to get rid of that nag screen permanently :)
    The following method applies to win2k/xp.

    control panel-> administrative tools-> local security policy->software restriction policies->additional rules->new path rule-> choose the path of avnotify.exe (default is C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avnotify.exe) and the security level (disallowed).

    More...

    Dírhael on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I use Avast!, Spybot, and Ad-Aware...am I overdoing things?

    PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    DírhaelDírhael NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    PunkBoy wrote:
    I use Avast!, Spybot, and Ad-Aware...am I overdoing things?

    No, but you're just wasting resources with Ad-Aware. It no longer serves any real purpose as it detects far to little to be of any use. What you should install instead is the free and excellent Spyware Terminator :^:

    Dírhael on
  • Options
    robaalrobaal Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    musanman wrote:
    I've never had a virus program on my PC, but every now and then when I think I might have something I use

    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

    That site will pick up EVERYTHING.

    Actually, in most of the AV software rankings I've seen trend-micro is usually lower than the free ones mentioned here; I assume the online version isn't somehow superior to their commercial product.
    OTOH the desktop program also comes with a pretty good firewall, which might make it more effective in practice.

    robaal on
    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra when suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath.
    At night, the ice weasels come."

  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've always used AVG, but lately I've had trouble removing a trojan on my dad's computer with it. It detects it just fine, but it doesn't really work for keeping it from reviving itself.

    I'll check out Antivir and see if it fixes his problem. He just can't seem to lay off those email attachments.

    LavaKnight on
  • Options
    BiggNifeBiggNife Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Recoil42 wrote:
    Antivir is definitely better than both AVAST and AVG, I've tried all three, and Antivir is definitely the least bloated, and most effective. The only thing is that it pops up a banner to get you to buy the premium version every time you update, but it's a small price to pay for much improved AV over the other two.


    And it's not just me, IIRC, it was either PCmag or PCworld that did a showdown a few months back, and found that Antivir outperformed the other two, by far.
    I just looked at my AntiVir menu, and apparently my license expires May 31. Should I just upgrade, download that AOL Anti Virus Shield that was mentioned, or buy something else? I dont want to go back to AVG.

    BiggNife on
  • Options
    fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    musanman wrote:
    I've never had a virus program on my PC, but every now and then when I think I might have something I use

    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

    That site will pick up EVERYTHING.
    It should be noted that you can't actually remove what it detects without purchasing PC-cillin (or Google).

    fogeyman on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    BiggNife wrote:
    Recoil42 wrote:
    Antivir is definitely better than both AVAST and AVG, I've tried all three, and Antivir is definitely the least bloated, and most effective. The only thing is that it pops up a banner to get you to buy the premium version every time you update, but it's a small price to pay for much improved AV over the other two.


    And it's not just me, IIRC, it was either PCmag or PCworld that did a showdown a few months back, and found that Antivir outperformed the other two, by far.
    I just looked at my AntiVir menu, and apparently my license expires May 31. Should I just upgrade, download that AOL Anti Virus Shield that was mentioned, or buy something else? I dont want to go back to AVG.

    It auto-renews when the license expires, iirc. They just have it that way in case they ever decide to revoke the free version, and as well, it probable works better that way with the systems they already have in place for people who bought the premium version. IE, like, when it asks for an update, the servers might demand a valid key. But yeah, you're fine right now.

    Avast has the same system going.

    Recoil42 on
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    PunkBoy wrote:
    I use Avast!, Spybot, and Ad-Aware...am I overdoing things?

    I've got AVG, ZoneAlarm, Spybot, Ad-Aware, Spywareblaster, and A-Squared, and I'm running Firefox with NoScript, Cookiesafe, and Adblock Plus. Behind a firewalled router. I also run frequent HijackThis checks.

    You're definitely not overdoing it. I might be.

    Avast! seemed to take up too many resources for too little return. If I do replace AVG soon, it'll be with Kaspersky, or maybe the Etrust suite.

    Tiemler on
  • Options
    fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Tiemler wrote:
    PunkBoy wrote:
    I use Avast!, Spybot, and Ad-Aware...am I overdoing things?

    I've got AVG, ZoneAlarm, Spybot, Ad-Aware, Spywareblaster, and A-Squared, and I'm running Firefox with NoScript, Cookiesafe, and Adblock Plus. Behind a firewalled router. I also run frequent HijackThis checks.

    You're definitely not overdoing it. I might be.

    Avast! seemed to take up too many resources for too little return. If I do replace AVG soon, it'll be with Kaspersky, or maybe the Etrust suite.
    Just make sure they aren't all running at once. If any of them is running constantly, make it the anti-virus program. Multiple anti-malware programs running constantly bogs down your system and may interfere with each other.

    fogeyman on
  • Options
    Death_ClawDeath_Claw Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Tiemler wrote:
    PunkBoy wrote:
    I use Avast!, Spybot, and Ad-Aware...am I overdoing things?

    I've got AVG, ZoneAlarm, Spybot, Ad-Aware, Spywareblaster, and A-Squared, and I'm running Firefox with NoScript, Cookiesafe, and Adblock Plus. Behind a firewalled router. I also run frequent HijackThis checks.

    You're definitely not overdoing it. I might be.

    Avast! seemed to take up too many resources for too little return. If I do replace AVG soon, it'll be with Kaspersky, or maybe the Etrust suite.

    Do you really need all that?! I use only AVG and I haven´t had any problems with virus and spywares, except the occasional email infected with some crap that gets easily detected, in quite some time.

    Death_Claw on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    TVs_Frank wrote:
    I like AVG as well. It's certainly a breath of fresh air after Norton's resource hogging, focus stealing bullshit.
    Fixed for my Norton problem.

    Rizzi on
  • Options
    BiggNifeBiggNife Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Doku-san wrote:
    TVs_Frank wrote:
    I like AVG as well. It's certainly a breath of fresh air after Norton's resource hogging, focus stealing bullshit.
    Fixed for my Norton problem.
    Are Norton and McAffee really that bad? PC Magazine almost always gives them good reviews.

    BiggNife on
Sign In or Register to comment.