As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Let's Play] Demon's Souls: The End (kinda)

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That's okay - we'll forgive you.

This once.
    Can't wait for the next set - but enjoy your vacation, mang!

Elvenshae on
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Awesome LP. I don't own a PS3 but these are of the utmost quality. Keep up the great work.

Ceno on
  • atat23atat23 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    gah, why is everyone voting wrong!

Do 4-1, the whole of level 4 is by far my favourite, plus you may as well get all the x-1 areas out of the way.

atat23 on
  • DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm just wondering what happened to the rest of the set... he got 3 parts up and must've gotten interrupted. I was hoping the rest of the parts would be showing up throughout the day yesterday, but no luck.

Also, I *think* there's an error in at least one of the intros, where it introduces the set as Set 3. Though the titles of the videos are S4.

Dranyth on
  • TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dranyth wrote: »
    I'm just wondering what happened to the rest of the set... he got 3 parts up and must've gotten interrupted. I was hoping the rest of the parts would be showing up throughout the day yesterday, but no luck.

Also, I *think* there's an error in at least one of the intros, where it introduces the set as Set 3. Though the titles of the videos are S4.

Dammit.

Yeah, I kinda got distracted/had to go away from editing. And then I made the mistake of trying League of Legends for the first time. Bad idea.

They're coming, I promise!

EDIT: Okay, I need to sleep but tomorrow I'm going to sit down and get these things done or I'll do...something outrageous and unwanted!

EDIT: I finished rendering the sets yesterday, but they're still rendering right now. It's going to take a few hours for all of them to get done.

Trynant on
    edited July 2010
    Trynant wrote: »
    EDIT: Okay, I need to sleep

Sleep is for the weak and there is no place for the weak in Demons Soul!

can't wait for the next set though!

atat23 on
  • a puddlea puddle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Barcardi wrote: »
    Ugh, the meat cleaver black soul was the only one i could never beat, especially in the sludge. I couldn't even run away from it to an island.

It is for this reason that I vote that the meat cleaver should be banned until this black phantom is defeated.

I think it took me ten tries. The meat cleaver is so devastatingly powerful and so surprisingly fast.

Okay he is rolling forwards towards me that means I can dod-- FUCK.

a puddle on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I never had much of a problem with that particular BP. You just gotta run right past him to the nearby island. The might is much more fair once you are on solid ground.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I killed that BP by luring it out to one of the islands with my trusty bow, the fight was pretty easy from there. Helps going in at high level. Thief's Ring makes a world of difference.

1 and a half videos need to be edited, then uploaded. Making this set on my laptop was the worst idea ever.

EDIT: Despite laptop suckage, the sets are edited. They still need to be rendered, however, and I give that another few hours before you see the things online. When they're online, I will update this thread in glorious rainbow text.

Trynant on
    edited July 2010
    SET FOUR IS HERE

A Genuine Dungeon Crawl
    Enjoy, and if you haven't voted for the next set yet, VOTE.

Trynant on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Huzzah!

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just being pedantic here, but those are not sarcophagi, but rather iron maidens.

Akilae on
    edited July 2010
    Akilae wrote: »
    Just being pedantic here, but those are not sarcophagi, but rather iron maidens.

What can I say, I screw up my commentary a lot :(

Ugh, this was a terrible set to edit. 4th of July weekend hit and I was away from my desktop, and I made the mistake of editing my videos on my laptop. I could not find a quiet place where I could do my post commentary, and my microphone is bugging out (I'm hoping it's just an issue with the laptop). Basically a bad experience all around.

Anyways, if I counted correctly the vote so far is:

1-2: 2 votes
    2-2: 3 votes
    3-2: no votes (thank God)
    4-1: 3 votes
    5-2: 1 vote

Tied for 2-2 and 4-1, somebody break it!

Trynant on
    edited July 2010
    Tied for 2-2 and 4-1, somebody break it!

look for all those that haven't played it and have no idea what to vote for, do you want to see more brown dank underground crap (2-2) or an awesome old castle grounds level with shit hard fighting skeletons and the added bonus of a very interesting large enemy (4-1). I think we all know the answer

P.S the answer isn't 2-2 :P

atat23 on
    edited July 2010
    I've already voted, but I will say I think if you do 2-2 you should do 2-3 immediately afterward because it is both fast and easy and you can do the PWWT event

similarly, if you do 4-1 you should drop into the beginning of 4-2, with Patches and the reaper, for the same reason.

edit: the 4-1 boss isn't interesting at all!

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited July 2010
    I'll toss in my vote for 2-2, since Flamelurker should be an interesting fight. No pit shortcut though (not that I'd expect you to take it, but you never know).

Edit: Oh, and I remember what I was thinking when I watched the rest of the set last night... you need a sign-off or something. the 7th part ends so awkwardly I wasn't sure if there was a part 8 where you did some soul leveling and such or not.

Dranyth on
    edited July 2010
    Just watched the latest, maybe I'm remembering wrong but isn't there a cut scene missing in part 6 there, the part after you defeat the two octo guards, go through the gate and down the stairs. The statues at the base of the stairs move and you are introduced to the flying demons for the first time? or am I thinking of a dream I had or something? :D

atat23 on
  • TeyarTeyar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I dont own a Ps3. So this is awesome. continue to be awesome!

Teyar on
    Kick At The Darkness Until It Bleeds Daylight
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The voice acting in this game seems really well done. It's too bad there isn't much of it.

Aistan on
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I am voting 2-2

and i have a question as to the 2-1 crystal lizard. How do you get that thing to appear? I played through it last night almost as per how you did it, and no lizard.

Barcardi on
    edited July 2010
    I vote 2-2, going into 2-3.

Elvenshae on
    edited July 2010
    I am voting 2-2

and i have a question as to the 2-1 crystal lizard. How do you get that thing to appear? I played through it last night almost as per how you did it, and no lizard.

Did you have the Thief's Ring equipped? Lizards run away a much farther distance otherwise. Also, crystal lizards only appear n+1 times, where n is how many bosses you've killed in that world. It may be that you already scared off the lizard or killed it too many times.

Trynant on
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I did not know that, good to know the equation, and i did not have the ring equipped at the time :( If it is n+1, does that mean you would recommend not going into the crystal lizard cave in 2-2 until you had a kill all type spell? How are you going to approach that?

If you have not noticed i am mirroring the levels you are playing. Ive beaten it before, but never really followed the strategy to the point that you are doing.

Damn, this set, i am not looking forward to playing 3-1 again, especially the creepy singing lady.

Barcardi on
    edited July 2010
    I did not know that, good to know the equation, and i did not have the ring equipped at the time :( If it is n+1, does that mean you would recommend not going into the crystal lizard cave in 2-2 until you had a kill all type spell? How are you going to approach that?

If you have not noticed i am mirroring the levels you are playing. Ive beaten it before, but never really followed the strategy to the point that you are doing.

Damn, this set, i am not looking forward to playing 3-1 again, especially the creepy singing lady.

I would recommend skipping the lizard cave until acquiring something that can kill all the lizards. This is what the Demon's Souls Wiki says:
    Crystal Lizard spawning rules:

* Each Crystal Lizard keep their own counter.
    * At the start of game, set all Crystal Lizard counter to 1.
    * If the Crystal Lizard is killed or escapes, decrease count by 1.
    * If a Boss in that world is killed, increase each Crystal Lizard count in that world by 1. For example, in World 2. If you kill all 3 Bosses. Each Crystal Lizard count = 4.
    * If a particular Crystal Lizard counter is 0, it doesn't re-spawn.

I'm just going to leave the lizard cave alone until I get God's Wrath.

Trynant on
    edited July 2010
    Good to know, my previous game i just bumrushed it with the biggest sword i could find and got 2-3 before they all went away.

I feel sorry for the guy that is posting on your youtube #6 of this set
    ellet1215 wrote:
    does anybody mind helping me defeat the tower boss? psn Antonio243

why yes, i will help you beat the tower boss ... hehehehehe

Barcardi on
    edited July 2010

I would recommend skipping the lizard cave until acquiring something that can kill all the lizards. This is what the Demon's Souls Wiki says:
    Crystal Lizard spawning rules:

* Each Crystal Lizard keep their own counter.
    * At the start of game, set all Crystal Lizard counter to 1.
    * If the Crystal Lizard is killed or escapes, decrease count by 1.
    * If a Boss in that world is killed, increase each Crystal Lizard count in that world by 1. For example, in World 2. If you kill all 3 Bosses. Each Crystal Lizard count = 4.
    * If a particular Crystal Lizard counter is 0, it doesn't re-spawn.

I'm just going to leave the lizard cave alone until I get God's Wrath.

Which you can conveniently get from the boss of 2-3

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited July 2010
    Argh. AAARGH I SAY.

I've been having some issues getting certain games to run on my desktop which I suspected were because of an out-of-date driver. Well, I make the mistake of downloading ATI's "legacy" driver for my video card and now it's like I don't even have a graphics processor and am running on an internal display. This means that I won't be able to record the next set until I get my computer fixed.

This is not a cancellation of the Let's Play or an announcement of an hiatus or something. I will get my computer fixed one way or another and will trounce flaming lurkers soon enough.

While I'm at it, if anyone has advice on how I can get my graphics card to actually work again, let me know. I'm running XP with an ATI Radeon X1950 Pro, and apparently the latest driver AMD provides screws me over.

Trynant on
  • Adam BombAdam Bomb Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Argh. AAARGH I SAY.

I've been having some issues getting certain games to run on my desktop which I suspected were because of an out-of-date driver. Well, I make the mistake of downloading ATI's "legacy" driver for my video card and now it's like I don't even have a graphics processor and am running on an internal display. This means that I won't be able to record the next set until I get my computer fixed.

This is not a cancellation of the Let's Play or an announcement of an hiatus or something. I will get my computer fixed one way or another and will trounce flaming lurkers soon enough.

While I'm at it, if anyone has advice on how I can get my graphics card to actually work again, let me know. I'm running XP with an ATI Radeon X1950 Pro, and apparently the latest driver AMD provides screws me over.

Try downloading an older version of the drivers, like from here: Old ATI Catalyst Drivers

When downgrading, you should remove the installed drivers, reboot into safe mode, and install the desired drivers from safe mode. Failing to reboot may cause some of the newer version driver components to stick around, and failing to install from safe mode may cause your computer to try to automatically helpfully install drivers for you.

Adam Bomb on
    edited July 2010
    Wow, I've certainly been procrastinating in regards to this LP! How about a status update?

I fixed my driver issue and went and recorded 2-2 tonight. I would wager that Set 5 will be up on Wednesday or Thursday.

Not to jinx myself, but I am on a winning streak (PWWT probably helped a lot)! Again, no deaths while doing this level, meaning my death count is a grand total of 2 (1 if we're counting the ones I could have avoided), with my last death being in Set 1 with Miralda. This is with a melee fight against Flamelurker. This is absurd. I'm not that good :?

Last thing is that I'm not sure what to name set 5, so voting on what to call that as well as what place to send me next would be appreciated.

Trynant on
  • peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    5-2, not being able to roll might make things more challenging and I'd like to see some shiny armor used!

peterdevore on
    edited July 2010
    Random vote for 4-1. Hopefully set 5 is up tonight or tomorrow so I can get to watching.

Dranyth on
  • richtmrichtm Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think I will vote 4-1, both to see some pvp (I know I'll never bother seeing much of this in my own games) and to spare you from 5-2 just a little while longer.

Also, congrats on your winning streak. I just started a NG+ not long ago and it slapped me down HARD. I lost ~525k souls in the span of 1-2 hours just trying to finish 4-1. My girlfriend was here so I didn't really react or scream other than a sudden spike in blood pressure. This game will teach you stoicism.

richtm on
    edited July 2010
    I vote 2-3

Why?

Why not?

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited July 2010
    I'd like to see 2-3 as well - show the people a megaboss fight!

If not that, though, then 4-1 (one of my favorite levels ever!) is acceptable.

Elvenshae on
    edited July 2010
    Thanks for all the votes guys! For those of you who haven't already, vote on the next level I do!

The next set is going to take another day due to me underestimating schoolwork, but it's coming.

I'm still thinking of title for the set. So far the best one I can think of is "Don't Troll the Flamelurker." :?

Trynant on
    edited August 2010
    can we take the delay as a sign that there will be a massive update, with more than one set? :p

atat23 on
    edited August 2010
    I wish :(

EDIT: The videos are almost done rendering, they should be online in the next one to two hours.

I don't know where to start with why this is being delayed so long.

As an apology for being so slow...

Slap.

Trynant on
    edited August 2010
    Set 5 here! I called it "Hot Streak," which due to the procrastination of this update probably does not apply anymore.

Flamelurker + WWT + Flame Resistance = :D

Without further ado.

Set 5
    Please vote for the next level for me to finish, and I promise I won't take 5 decades to upload the next set!

Trynant on
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yay for more Demones's's Souls! I'm completely unfamiliar with the game so I can't really vote for anything specific. Just keep it coming.

Ceno on
    edited August 2010
    I think I might as well 2-3 next. Admittedly, that will be a really small set if I do just that.

I'm going to be away from my recording stuff for the next few days, so no Demon's Souls until next week at the earliest.

I will certainly try to get the next set (and maybe bonus content) up in far less time than between set 4 and 5.

Trynant on