As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Rape-Axe

• Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    nuka wrote: »
    Not every place in the world has major repercussions for rape but almost every place has major repercussions for murder.
    I would argue that people that think raping others is cool is probably missing a couple of crayons.

That's not what was said.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    They wouldn't be walking at all, it seems, since the device causes enough pain to keep the man from even really moving about.

I kinda glossed over that, oops.

Yeah, this doesn't sound too bad. Still, I can't help but feel a little wary.

There could be a situation with multiple assailants, as well.
    nuka wrote:
    Oh I don't mean to imply that Bill isn't going to be in a world of hurt, but what's going to stop him at later time pointing a gun at her head or something for revenge?

One would imagine Mary's going to be calling the cops on Bill, and hopefully avoiding any future encounters with him.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    LieberkuhnLieberkuhn __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Not every place in the world has major repercussions for rape but almost every place has major repercussions for murder.

What about assault? What about trying to rape her again, after forceably removing the Rape-Axe from her now that he knows it's there?

I mean christ, the more I think about it the less inclined I am to ever want to use one of these.

Lieberkuhn on
    While you eat, let's have a conversation about the nature of consent.
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Like any other means of self defense the user has to be careful with it. And Ender if someone is crazy enough to trick some dude into having sex with her with one of these on, it's a pretty sure fucking bet that if the thing didn't exist she'd just find another way to mutilate his junk or attack him during sex. There are plenty of ways to implicate a rape.

Yeah, but my problem is that it's being marketed as 'proof' that you're a rapist. DNA evidence is abused in the same way right now - a product called 'RapeAxe' that sticks onto an accused rapist is only going to make the matter worse.

It isn't proof that you raped someone, it's proof that you attempted to have sex with them.

As has been said, this is the wrong approach to a good idea.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    AthaedosAthaedos Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, upon rethinking I'd say that women should only wear this if they are fully confident in their ability to handle themselves in a self-defense for their life situation. If they are, this could be the surprise they need to kick ass and get away, or just get away. It's everyone's right to determine what they want to defend themselves with when that comes down to putting something in yourself a man would have to actually penetrate you to be affected by. Effectiveness is questionable but it all depends on the situation. And on the person doing the raping. Also, I know this might sound fucked up but there is always the option for the woman to inform the rapist and remove the device if it's obvious there will be no getting away. It's a card to play and you can always choose to play it either way if you're quick and smart enough.

Athaedos on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    rapist sticks dick in chick.

Dick gets stuck in chick with spines in it.

Rapist is in agony.

Chick gets brutally murdered.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    Just Like ThatJust Like That Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Jokerman wrote: »
    I don't see why this wouldn't end up getting the woman killed or severely injured in someway.

Also she's still getting raped. This doesn't prevent shit.

Maybe in the third world, but I doubt most guys are going to go from rape to murder, especialy after getting there dick caught in a vag-bear trap.

But I'm not a rapist, so I can't really speak for that mindset.
    Rape isn't always just out of uncontrollable lust, it's a power thing too. So we got Bill here, wants to rape Mary cause Mary needs to know her place or some shit but oh look the tables have turned because she was wearing a Rape-Axe. What does Bill do next?

Rolls around on the floor in agony for a while while Mary legs it?
    Oh I don't mean to imply that Bill isn't going to be in a world of hurt, but what's going to stop him at later time pointing a gun at her head or something for revenge?

I would argue that people that think raping others is cool is probably missing a couple of crayons.

Why would there be more people missing crayons in certain places? Maybe it's not because they are crazy but rather they know they can get away with it.

Just Like That on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Mumblyfish wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the device has to be difficult to remove. If the product caught on, then rapists would quickly learn to check victims for this - oh gods I can't believe this is its real name - Rape-Axe. If a woman can remove her own Rape-Axe, a rapist can too.

It's a good idea, but it's one with very limited use. For one, it's only viable for women who want to be sexually inactive for a very long time; I'd imagine this rules out sex for gay and bisexual women, too. Also, as Lieberkühn pointed out women using the Rape-Axe can't use tampons. Pads aren't an attractive alternative, and I'll take her word on it being disabling for the physically active - and women already get enough shit about being discouraged from sports and exercise. Sorry, but I don't think reducing women to being at the mercy of their periods is a huge step forward.

And, at risk of being crude, how many women would want a contraption designed to maim inside their lady-parts? Seems bad for a woman's self-image if nothing else.

But, all that said, I'm not a woman, nor a rape victim, nor do I live in South Africa. I think a lot of us are looking at this from a western perspective. If the incidence of rape there is as bad as reported, then I can certainly see women wanting a product like this, regardless of its issues.

Unfortunately...
    The Ender wrote: »
    Rapist goes to penetrate his victim. Penis is impaled. In a continent where misogyny is legally enforced in most of it's countries, I see one of two things happening:

1) Victim is killed on the spot by the would be rapist.
    2) Victim is later killed by village bigots for daring to protect herself from rape.
    Yeah.

As is often the case in rape threads, I leave this one feeling defeated. There's no easy fix; a two-dollar piece of plastic certainly isn't going to help.

This is a good post, but too lengthy to lime.

Lieberkuhn on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah rapists aren't necessarily crazy but they are obviously being raised in a sick environment

That 28% figure is horrifying in the strongest sense of the word

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    They wouldn't be walking at all, it seems, since the device apparently causes enough pain to keep the man from even really moving about.
    Probably true.

Hoz on
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I don't believe the would be rapist would care if he was arrested for murder or not, because I think they are crazy people.

So I don't think the consequences would be on his mind, why would he be if he was going to be raping someone?
    One would imagine Mary's going to be calling the cops on Bill, and hopefully avoiding any future encounters with him.

She would! But where does she live, America, South Africa or some other hell hole where they treat women like crap?

Here in the US or the rest of the western world, Bill would be the one getting raped in prison. The rest of the world doesn't work like this though.

Besides she's still getting raped, this device is shit at preventing anything. It's a revenge tool.

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Al_wat wrote: »
    rapist sticks dick in chick.

Dick gets stuck in chick with spines in it.

Rapist is in agony.

Chick gets brutally murdered.

Now rapist is both a rapist and murderer, and he has a spiny cage on his dick.

Alternatively, rapist is in paralyzing pain, woman uses opportunity to get away, rapist has spiny cage on dick.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I don't believe the would be rapist would care if he was arrested for murder or not, because I think they are crazy people.

Oh.

In that case, your assessment is way off.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Why would there be more people missing crayons in certain places? Maybe it's not because they are crazy but rather they know they can get away with it.
    Because rape is fucking horrible and most people are born with a sense of compassion and empathy and would realize that rape is terrible?

nuka on
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    They wouldn't be walking at all, it seems, since the device causes enough pain to keep the man from even really moving about.

I kinda glossed over that, oops.

Unless the article in the OP is inaccurate, which wouldn't be a surprise since it already had some pretty ambiguous wording that needed to be clarified by looking through a completely separate piece of coverage on the Flesh Render.

I don't even know why I really questioned the possibility of its removal now that I think about it. It's obvious that those barbed spines aren't going to let go of your flesh hammer very easily once they sink their wicked points into you. Imagine the woman also being unable to extract the thing outside of a doctor's office.

Dr. Ehler's Vaginal Iron Maiden would need some more product testing.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

And I call 'bullshit' on the good doctor. She doesn't know how often it'll immobilize anyone, and if she does want to claim to know that, I'd like to see the results of her double blind trial. KKTHX.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I dunno i just don't see this helping the woman's cause at all.

The only thing I see happening is her getting more hurt as a result of this.

I mean yeah, rapist gets his dick all fucked up. That will stir righteous emotions in any of us. But i don't think it will ever end at "rapist has dick fucked up, limps home"

Al_wat on
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

Because rape is fucking horrible and most people are born with a sense of compassion and empathy and would realize that rape is terrible?

The thing is that rape isn't punished with as much severity as some other crimes, and so the deterrent isn't as strong as for something like murder.

Hopefully after however much time is needed to fix up Bill has passed he's cooled off and isn't thinking about getting a murder charge in addition to the rape one.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    most people are born with a sense of compassion and empathy

there are like a billion ways to override this

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    At first I thought that some folks were playing devil's advocate with me.

Maybe it's because I'm a lady but in what world would a rapist not be mentally off somehow? Are you suggesting to me that there are a ton of men out there (aside from the ones that are sexist) would be totally ok raping a chick if he knew he would get away with it and he would still be mentally sound?

Cause if that is the case maybe I shouldn't ever leave the house.

nuka on
  • Options
    Just Like ThatJust Like That Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

You'd be amazed at the power of social norms. How is it that women are treated they way they are in places like Saudi Arabia? It's not because everyone there lacks compassion and empathy.

Just Like That on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

What about assault? What about trying to rape her again, after forceably removing the Rape-Axe from her now that he knows it's there?

I mean christ, the more I think about it the less inclined I am to ever want to use one of these.

I'd also suggest that as a middle-class white woman in a first-world country, you aren't even close to being the demographic towards whom these devices are aimed.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'm having a field day with the name of this thing. I'll stop now.

EDIT: Spiked Penis Pit. Okay, I'm seriously through.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Maybe it's because I'm a lady but in what world would a rapist not be mentally off somehow? Are you suggesting to me that there are a ton of men out there (aside from the ones that are sexist) would be totally ok raping a chick if he knew he would get away with it and he would still be mentally sound?

...why are you excluding the population of sexist men? Are you classifying sexism as a mental illness?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm having a field day with the name of this thing. I'll stop now.

EDIT: Spiked Penis Pit. Okay, I'm seriously through.

I still prefer "Horrifying Dick Saw"

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Mumblyfish wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the device has to be difficult to remove. If the product caught on, then rapists would quickly learn to check victims for this - oh gods I can't believe this is its real name - Rape-Axe. If a woman can remove her own Rape-Axe, a rapist can too.

This.

I wouldn't be surprised if it led to some "well, if the Rape-Axe was out, then it was obviously consensual" goosery as well, similar to the Italy-tight jeans nonsense.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, upon rethinking I'd say that women should only wear this if they are fully confident in their ability to handle themselves in a self-defense for their life situation. If they are, this could be the surprise they need to kick ass and get away, or just get away. It's everyone's right to determine what they want to defend themselves with when that comes down to putting something in yourself a man would have to actually penetrate you to be affected by. Effectiveness is questionable but it all depends on the situation. And on the person doing the raping.

I try to protect consumers from buying products that are either unsafe or a waste of money. RapeAxe is pretty likely to be both.

It's like saying that everyone should carry around an empty beer bottle if they're in Johannesburg because the rate of mugging there is so high. Just bust that sucker over the bad guy's head in case of emergency!

It's ineffective at preventing crime and is going to escalate most of the situations you get into.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    how do you make sure this is only used as intended

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010

So I don't think the consequences would be on his mind, why would he be if he was going to be raping someone?

She would! But where does she live, America, South Africa or some other hell hole where they treat women like crap?

Here in the US or the rest of the western world, Bill would be the one getting raped in prison. The rest of the world doesn't work like this though.

Besides she's still getting raped, this device is shit at preventing anything. It's a revenge tool.

I think the purpose of it is to give you an opportunity to get away once it's embedded in the assailant's penis.

I'm trying to imagine the sensation of one of these things. I imagine the device kind of contracting a little when the erection subsides, since the barbs would be rooted in there. I can't imagine that's an easy feeling to shake off, and so a victim may be able to get up and get away, hopefully.

Ugh. This is a really unpleasant thing to think about.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The nightmarish inner workings of that thing really do look sort of like a fish specifically designed by God to ravage the very meat of your penis.

I imagine that you really kind of can't, which is another problem. However, I think that the cases of misuse would be relatively small. That is if it ever really gets off of the ground. That's another thing I've been wondering. No one wants to be viciously raped, really, but in a culture that's this different from ours where the woman knows fairly well what might happen to her if she even attempts to fight back against something that's taken so casually, what are the odds of this thing getting any widespread use?

I echo the other posts in this thread and I feel like it really should be only part of a larger movement towards solving a cultural issue.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

The problem is that not all rapes are "seedy mental patient lurking in a dark alley so he can grab the first woman who walks past"; most are "drunk guy flirts with drunk girl for half the night; finds himself alone with her and she still seems really into him, but then they're undressed and suddenly she acts like she doesn't want to have sex anymore. Eh, she's probably just teasing."

It would be nice if there was a rapist "type" that could be easily identified and locked up, but sadly even guys who seem quite nice can turn out to be rapists.

Lieberkuhn on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

...why are you excluding the population of sexist men? Are you classifying sexism as a mental illness?
    No. I'm just excluding them because a sexist man is probably more likely to rape some woman than one that isn't. I don't think that makes them crazy, just sexist. I see them as an entirely different group of people than the ones I was talking about in that post.

I don't believe that the average male is sexist, unless he lives in some Saudi Arabian shithole where that's the social norm.

nuka on
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

You don't. If you're for weapons control, you should be against this. I'm not for broad and what I consider overbearing weapons control, so I don't oppose this on the basis it may be abused at times.

Honestly, I'm not sure what to think. It might help, it might not. I figure the best initial plan is to allow it in the wild for a bit and then reevaluate.

programjunkie on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I would personally be horrified to find anything on my dick after putting it in a woman, 100x this if it's painful and spiny.

I honestly do not think that my attention would be on much of anything except what the hell is going on down there.

The horrified responses in this thread aren't wholly hyperbole, I don't think, I do believe my likely response is fairly common among men, rapists included.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Honestly, I can't imagine preventing abuse of this to be super important.

If a girl wants to do something as psychotic as root you with one of these for whatever reason when you've got her in bed consensually, even without one I'm sure a girl with such intentions could find some other way to harm you.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

The problem is that not all rapes are "seedy mental patient lurking in a dark alley so he can grab the first woman who walks past"; most are "drunk guy flirts with drunk girl for half the night; finds himself alone with her and she still seems really into him, but then they're undressed and suddenly she acts like she doesn't want to have sex anymore. Eh, she's probably just teasing."

It would be nice if there was a rapist "type" that could be easily identified and locked up, but sadly even guys who seem quite nice can turn out to be rapists.

This is true.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Yeah but he would be fine if it wasn't for the alcohol. I don't mean to suggest what you said in that first sentence that the dude was literally hearing voices that told him to rape or something.

I can't shake off the belief that rapist are probably just a little bit off, but it looks like I missed a few things in my previous argument.

nuka on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

The product is targeted at African countries with really high rates of rape (and I mean really high. 1 in 3 guys in South Africa have raped somebody).

A lot of these guys have AIDs, are desperate to end the agony, have been kept ignorant by local religious leaders and are indoctrinated into a misogynistic superstition that sees sex with a virgin as a panacea. You can see where this goes, of course: pretty soon there aren't enough virgins around (even if there's plenty of actual women), so guys are out forcing themselves on anyone they think might be a virgin to get rid of their disease (and in doing so, they spread it around).

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited June 2010

This is honestly the biggest thing against the device.

What's needed is some kind of convincing education that unless a sexual partner is into it with clear indications of "yes" you should not be doing anything with them.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    not all rapists realize what they're doing is rape, and some of them justify their actions, or 'choose to interpret' the situation in a way that strays from reality.

so i wouldn't say you have to be crazy or inhuman to commit rape. delusional, cruel, or any number of things, sure, but saying 'all rapists are crazy' is incorrect.

you also wouldn't need to be crazy to use this thing as a way to spite someone. when it comes right down to it, this device is a weapon. it is designed not to defend but to maim. it is concealed, providing no threat implicit or explicit threat, meaning it won't ward off predators by presence alone. it does nothing to actually prevent the assault it was designed to prevent, and may serve to increase the danger to the person it's meant to aid because now she has a pissed off rapist with his dick inside her unable to pull out because something's stabbing his penis.

this is a very bad weapon.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg