As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Health and Fitness [reincarnation]

SliderSlider Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
It's almost been 2 months since my surgery and I need to get back into shape, which means "cutting." I haven't gained much weight, but 5lbs of fat on my body is a noticable change.

I ran 6 miles, overall, last week until my ankles started hurting; so I think I'll stick to about 6-8 miles this week until as well.

I also need to get back into a weight lifting routine. Like I said, I've been out of it for about 2 months. The motivation I once had is gone. I'm thinking about starting back into a 3 day lifting program, while incorporating 2 days of cardio.

What do you guys think?

Slider on

• Options
    PerpetualPerpetual Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    What are your plans in terms of lifting? Do you want strength, or looks, or a bit of both?

Perpetual on
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    what kind of surgery? as long as your doc is ok with you working out again, that sounds fine.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Oh, right, sorry. Last week, I got back into squats and deadlifts, but didn't go above 225lbs on either exercise.

In terms of chest exercises, I dare not go back into the bench press yet, due to a nagging shoulder injury that plague me for the last 5-6 months. I decided to rest it and have noticed a marked improvement in flexibility and decrease in pain. I might give it another month before I try to use it again.

With that being said, my goal is strength with a six pack. Prior to the surgery, I was hitting over 300s in squat and deadlifts, and I think my bench was around 275lbs.

I realize that it will take some time to return to this form, so in the meantime I just want to get rid of some stomach fat. Hopefully this will bring my abdominals back.

Maybe you have a good abdominals routine you could share?

Slider on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    what kind of surgery? as long as your doc is ok with you working out again, that sounds fine.

Kidney...sort of. I have 3 small incisions on the right side of my abdomen. I had the stent removed last Monday. With the stent, if I ran or did anything I would experience pain and piss blood. Now, I have no pain and am tired of sitting around waiting.

The doctor knows I exercise and didn't say anything, so I took that as a green light.

Slider on
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Definitely take it easy on the running. Overuse injuries are such a pain in the ass. I've got a soleus that I overworked in the winter that has been giving me trouble off and on. I plan to give it a good rest after July. I've been training for a triathlon this weekend and a half marathon in two weeks after that so I figure I'll have most of August to just take it easy once I'm through with those events.

So I've dropped about ten pounds in the last three months. I now weigh 215 but feel like this is going way too slowly for the amount of running I do and the diet I'm eating (heavy on protein but carbs before and after my run). Maybe I'm destined to remain a clydesdale.

Uncle Long on
This discussion has been closed.