As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Supreme Court Says "No" to State/Student-Subsidized Bigotry

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    Daedalus wrote: »
    I agree fully with this decision, but on the other hand, I'm suddenly reminded of groups on my (former) college with names like "Society of Women Engineers", "The Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers", etc., where as a non-Hispanic male, I'm fairly sure I'd be unwelcome. I'm fairly certain that they got school funding, you know?

I mean, I don't feel personally hurt about stuff like that, because the whole reason why groups like that exist is because white guys make up a disproportionate number of engineering students. I get the point; this isn't a "whiny white guy completely misses the advantages he has" rant. But could this decision end up getting used against groups like SHPE, and if not, why not?

Except that even "Society of Women Engineers" would allow male English majors into the group. In my undergrad, I was part of the Asian American Association, and I'm 100% whiteman. The names are really there just to gather like-minded individuals, although anyone may tag along for the ride.

This.

Likewise, I have no problem with religious groups getting school funding as long as I'm allowed to join them as an atheist if I want to learn more about how their religion functions and their beliefs, or I'm interested in supporting their right to worship or whatever.

I don't mind school funding for these sorts of groups, but they honestly have to allow membership to anyone.

Winky on
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Christian groups that are closed and discriminatory and somehow convinced that Jesus would have approved of their discrimination always boggles me.

This should really stop boggling me, but it doesn't. I guess maybe because I never hear stories regarding religious groups like this locally (vancouver).

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Winky wrote: »
    I agree fully with this decision, but on the other hand, I'm suddenly reminded of groups on my (former) college with names like "Society of Women Engineers", "The Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers", etc., where as a non-Hispanic male, I'm fairly sure I'd be unwelcome. I'm fairly certain that they got school funding, you know?

I mean, I don't feel personally hurt about stuff like that, because the whole reason why groups like that exist is because white guys make up a disproportionate number of engineering students. I get the point; this isn't a "whiny white guy completely misses the advantages he has" rant. But could this decision end up getting used against groups like SHPE, and if not, why not?

Except that even "Society of Women Engineers" would allow male English majors into the group. In my undergrad, I was part of the Asian American Association, and I'm 100% whiteman. The names are really there just to gather like-minded individuals, although anyone may tag along for the ride.

This.

Likewise, I have no problem with religious groups getting school funding as long as I'm allowed to join them as an atheist if I want to learn more about how their religion functions and their beliefs, or I'm interested in supporting their right to worship or whatever.

I don't mind school funding for these sorts of groups, but they honestly have to allow membership to anyone.

Man like every last group in McGill was [insert every dang country] Student Group, and they still all asked me to join at the little activity fair. It's basically a way of saying "From/oddly attached to a particular country? Come on in!" rather than a discriminatory "stay away" to non-that-country people.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Also, I think the larger issue is that the CLS sought to not just establish discriminatory practices, but judging by the wording of their charter and oath, they seem to have sought to outright define what could and could not be acceptable as "Christian."

There are literally millions of Christians that would disagree with that, in terms of both context and authority. It's kind of like McDonalds seeking legal protection for being the arbiter of what is and is not a hamburger.

Atomika on
  • Options
    shorttiminshorttimin regular Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    In the article it said that the society allows everyone to attend meetings, but only voting members and officers have to sign that statement of faith. I don't know what the difference is between a voting member and a non voting member. Is it something significant besides the ability to vote?

shorttimin on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    In the article it said that the society allows everyone to attend meetings, but only voting members and officers have to sign that statement of faith. I don't know what the difference is between a voting member and a non voting member. Is it something significant besides the ability to vote?

This is a hilarious thing to say in a thread about potential discrimination.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Is it something significant besides the ability to vote?

...That is like asking if it is something significant besides their ability to live.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hmm. I suppose I don't have any problems with religious groups on campus as long as no faith is barred, mainly because groups on campus are a very, very important way for freshman to get to know each other.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    LachrymiteLachrymite Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I have a friend that was part of the Latino Pre-law Club at her school. Even though she herself was Latino and Pre-law she told me they were recruiting anyone they could. She actually made signs that said, "Latino Pre-law is recruiting new members. Not Latino? Not Pre-law? Not a problem!"

Lachrymite on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The "teaser" (?) line about this in my local paper this morning:
    Ruled that a public law school can legally deny recognition to a Christian student group that won't let gays join.
    Oh, you liberal Indiana media. What won't you say?

Pretty sure no one was denied recognition. Just denied public funding at the public school.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    or no one could actually answer my question.

Perhaps I should have worded it differently. I'm not familiar with the structure of most college student groups, never bothering to join myself. Is every member supposed to be a voting member? Is it a smaller group out of the entire group? If every member is supposed to vote that's different from a small council of 5 that states the groups mission or whatever they do.

shorttimin on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

If you wish:

Making rules so that you can freely discriminate between members of your club isn't any better then making rules where you discriminate against people joining your group.

SanderJK on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    SanderJK wrote: »

If you wish:

Making rules so that you can freely discriminate between members of your club isn't any better then making rules where you discriminate against people joining your group.

So, clubs aren't allowed to have officers or other stratification of members?

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

At my wife's job they have an African-American Interest Group which, as you can imagine, is all black in membership...except for this one white guy. Oh, and there was a lot of grumbling from men about the fact that there is a Women's Interest Group. Someone finally told them that they were not excluded from that group, and that they should just start a Men's Interest Group rather than just sitting around and complaining.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    sanstodo wrote: »

At my school, at least, anyone could join those groups. There were a few groups that were invite only (fraternities/sororities and the like) but they had to adhere to certain standards of non-discrimination. But every other group/organization was open to everyone if they wanted school funding.

My school doesn't even allow those.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Chanus wrote: »

If you wish:

This is a better way of putting what I was thinking about.

shorttimin on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

If you wish:

Of course you can. But you can't discriminate on who can become one. What if there was a rule only men could ever get voting rights in certain groups? Can you not see how that would be... bad

I just realized the Netherlands had pretty much the same court case as this. only in parliament.

We have a political party (SGP) who are Christian Fundamentalists (capital letters warranted). They're biblical literalists, and as such, firmly believe that a womans role is to serve and support his man. Thus, they reasoned, women should not be allowed to lead, and so they only place men in electable positions.

And our High Court ruled the same: While you can be allowed to have this notion as an ideal, state statutes do not allow any funding towards discriminating parties, and thus their state funding was cut off.

SanderJK on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

If you wish:

Of course you can. But you can't discriminate on who can become one. What if there was a rule only men could ever get voting rights in certain groups? Can you not see how that would be... bad

I just realized the Netherlands had pretty much the same court case as this. only in parliament.

We have a political party (SGP) who are Christian Fundamentalists (capital letters warranted). They're biblical literalists, and as such, firmly believe that a womans role is to serve and support his man. Thus, they reasoned, women should not be allowed to lead, and so they only place men in electable positions.

And our High Court ruled the same: While you can be allowed to have this notion as an ideal, state statutes do not allow any funding towards discriminating parties, and thus their state funding was cut off.

Right, but the referenced issue was signing a pledge to become a voting member. That's not discrimination in the same way that saying "only men can become voting members".

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    It is because the pledge in question includes "you can't be gay"

SanderJK on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Livng a homosexual lifestyle and being ok with it seems counter to what the organization in question believes. Kind of like forcing a democratic organization to let a republican become a voting member.

Probably not a very good analogy, but I'm just typing out loud.

shorttimin on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Livng a homosexual lifestyle and being ok with it seems counter to what the organization in question believes. Kind of like forcing a democratic organization to let a republican become a voting member.

Well, a group that believes black people are inferior shouldn't get public funding either.

Just because you believe something doesn't mean you're not being astoundingly ignorant and discriminatory.

Chanus on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Right, but the referenced issue was signing a pledge to become a voting member. That's not discrimination in the same way that saying "only men can become voting members".
    That's completely ridiculous.

"We don't say only men can be voting members, we just require you to swear an oath that you have a penis before you can become a voting member."

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    That's completely ridiculous.

"We don't say only men can be voting members, we just require you to swear an oath that you have a penis before you can become a voting member."

I suppose you could infer that's what I meant.

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Well, a group that believes black people are inferior shouldn't get public funding either.

Just because you believe something doesn't mean you're not being astoundingly ignorant and discriminatory.

Did they say that gay people were inferior?

shorttimin on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Well, by claiming that it's a sinful lifestyle, I would say yes they did.

Chanus on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

In the sense that living in sin is inferior to living a godly life, sure. But that's beside the point, the point being that by excluding gay people from membership the club violated the school's nondiscrimination policy.

Hachface on
  • Options
    taoist drunktaoist drunk Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Right, well, being a member of the GOP doesn't make you a member of a suspect class. Since gay people are a suspect class in California, the government has to prove a compelling state interest for the discriminatory practice. A Christian club on campus is not exactly a matter of national security. There is no compelling state interest for funding this particular discriminatory practice and so the state university should not fund the student organization.

taoist drunk on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    But political party isn't a protected suspect class.

edit: whoop, lazegamer deleted.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »

Yeah, sorry about that, I wanted to rephrase.

I haven't found dialogue in the ruling that says that they aren't allowed to discriminate because orientation is a suspect class. The ruling suggests to me that a university can ban any discriminatory practice, including political. I don't think that you can receive funding for a political group if you aren't open to all members.
    Hastings imposes an open membership rule on all student groups -- all groups must accept all comers as voting members even if those individuals disagree with the mission of the group," the court ruled in an unsigned decision. "The conditions on recognition are therefore viewpoint neutral and reasonable.
    Ginsberg wrote:
    "CLS, it bears emphasis, seeks not parity with other organizations, but a preferential exemption from Hastings’ policy. The First Amendment shields CLS against state prohibition of the organization's expressive activity, however exclusionary that activity may be.But CLS enjoys no constitutional right to state subvention of its selectivity.

lazegamer on
    I would download a car.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    lazegamer wrote: »

I haven't found dialogue in the ruling that says that they aren't allowed to discriminate because orientation is a suspect class. The ruling suggests to me that a university can ban any discriminatory practice, including political. I don't think that you can receive funding for a political group if you aren't open to all members.
    Hastings imposes an open membership rule on all student groups -- all groups must accept all comers as voting members even if those individuals disagree with the mission of the group," the court ruled in an unsigned decision. "The conditions on recognition are therefore viewpoint neutral and reasonable.
    Ginsberg wrote:
    "CLS, it bears emphasis, seeks not parity with other organizations, but a preferential exemption from Hastings’ policy. The First Amendment shields CLS against state prohibition of the organization's expressive activity, however exclusionary that activity may be.But CLS enjoys no constitutional right to state subvention of its selectivity.

Well, if that is Hasting's policy then yeah, the club was wrong. I'm a Christian and that's a good ruling.

shorttimin on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    lazegamer wrote: »

Ginsberg wrote:

It's probably true that a Democratic student group would have to accept membership from anyone, even Republicans, and vice versa. That seems fine to me - it all comes down to funding and recognition. These students are paying tuition, and the school is supported by public taxes. The school gives some of that money to officially recognized groups, and any student should be able to join any of the groups without exception.

Obviously not many Republicans would want to join a Democratic group - the self-selecting nature of a student group is part of the whole reason to have one in the first place. But the option to join has to be open to everyone; otherwise you get discrimination, and who's going to decide if any one member is "Democratic" enough to remain a member? "He said he appreciated Bush's efforts in Africa! BURN HIM!" No. If a Democrat joins a Republican group just to be a dickhole and shit all over people's beliefs, kick him out for being a disruptive dickhole. But when there are discriminatory guidelines to membership, like "You must be a card-carrying member of X party!" or "You must be straight!", all you're doing is supporting discrimination and witch-hunts. And you're using public funds to do it.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    mythagomythago Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

/facepalm

Okay, no, it's not a very good analogy. But please realize that "homosexual lifestyle" is one of those buzzphrases used by people who disapprove of the gay. It's the polite-company version of "sodomites".

The law school has an anti-discrimination policy which follows state law. If a group is going to try and make itself Official, so as to get money from that law school, it has to follow the school's policies. Refusing to do so, and asking for money, is like a teenager insisting he won't do his chores because he doesn't believe in domestic labor but hey, Dad, can I have forty bucks to go hang out with the guys?

If the White Heritage Law Students' Group refused to let members vote unless they signed a pledge disavowing the "race-mixing lifestyle", I don't think anybody would be arguing the law school ought to hand them money.

mythago on
    Three lines of plaintext:
    obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

The one very obvious problem with this is that the group is trying to represent all Christians and then you have reality interfering where people "living a homosexual lifestyle" can also be Christians.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I was a member of College Republicans. And outside of one single candidate during the 2000 California Primary, I've never voted for a Republican in my life.

I was also a member of College Democrats.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »

I was a member of College Republicans. And outside of one single candidate during the 2000 California Primary, I've never voted for a Republican in my life.

I was also a member of College Democrats.

I was a member of the Federalist Society in law school and they were perfectly aware that I was not a conservative or libertarian. In fact, they thought it was awesome, because (my chapter - not the national organization) believed that civil debate was paramount and that if your opinions couldn't stand up to rational discussion with somebody from a different political philosophy, they weren't worth having. They also brought in speakers to debate issues of political interest and made damn sure that the 'liberal' speaker was equally as formidable as the guy whose viewpoints they favored.

mythago on
    obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    So when do we start putting the Christians into camps? I've got the boots polished and everything.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Kastanj wrote: »
    So when do we start putting the Christians into camps? I've got the boots polished and everything.

We don't have any Christian martyrs in this thread, we need to create some.

lazegamer on
    I would download a car.
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    mythago wrote: »
    I was a member of the Federalist Society in law school and they were perfectly aware that I was not a conservative or libertarian. In fact, they thought it was awesome, because (my chapter - not the national organization) believed that civil debate was paramount and that if your opinions couldn't stand up to rational discussion with somebody from a different political philosophy, they weren't worth having. They also brought in speakers to debate issues of political interest and made damn sure that the 'liberal' speaker was equally as formidable as the guy whose viewpoints they favored.
    Our Federalist Society chapter worked with the liberal law student groups to bring speakers from both sides for some really interesting discussions. But, I think you can do that with law student groups since law students tend to be older and more mature. College groups are hit or miss- the College Republicans and College Democrats at my undergrad wouldn't piss on each other if their hair was on fire.

We actually had protestors outside one of our events dealing with affirmative action. Which was weird, because the event involved a couple of academics talking about recent court rulings on affirmative action and their predictions on how the courts would rule in a few cases that were on their dockets. We really couldn't figure out why anyone would find the event controversial. But, I guess some undergrads saw "Affirmative Action" on the flyers and decided to get their protest on.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    edited June 2010
    Modern Man wrote: »
    But, I think you can do that with law student groups since law students tend to be older and more mature. College groups are hit or miss- the College Republicans and College Democrats at my undergrad wouldn't piss on each other if their hair was on fire.

True. I have made it a rule never to judge any philosophy, religion or political movement based on what its self-described adherents were like in college. Otherwise I wouldn't be talking to anybody.

Well, except maybe for Objectivists. In college I belonged to a small pro-First Amendment Rights group (which you would think is pretty non-controversial), and for some reason the Objectivists decided we were anti-Objectivists or communists or something - we never figured out quite what it was - and they would very deliberately and ostentatiously rip down or cover up every poster we put up announcing a meeting.

mythago on
    obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    mythago wrote: »

/facepalm

Okay, no, it's not a very good analogy. But please realize that "homosexual lifestyle" is one of those buzzphrases used by people who disapprove of the gay. It's the polite-company version of "sodomites".

The law school has an anti-discrimination policy which follows state law. If a group is going to try and make itself Official, so as to get money from that law school, it has to follow the school's policies. Refusing to do so, and asking for money, is like a teenager insisting he won't do his chores because he doesn't believe in domestic labor but hey, Dad, can I have forty bucks to go hang out with the guys?

If the White Heritage Law Students' Group refused to let members vote unless they signed a pledge disavowing the "race-mixing lifestyle", I don't think anybody would be arguing the law school ought to hand them money.

well, I think this goes to my ignorance about the structure of college groups and who is a voting member and how you become one. Is everyone who signs up to join the club automatically a voting member? Or are voting members a small group out of the whole club?

Aside from all that, lazegamer posted a quote that said Hasting's policy was that you couldn't prevent people that disagreed with your ideology from becoming voting members. So my question is moot anyway. CLS is wrong.

shorttimin on