As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Door to Door [Chat]iac

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Elendil wrote: »
    Leitner wrote: »
    You already don't get all the content though. Look at Noveria, there's what, three four ways to solve that situation? Of which you can only take one, locking out the rest. It'd simply be like that except more broadly applied, with some options only open if you took the renegade choice in that situation, and some if you took paragon.

(I actually kinda dissagree with the existance of a paragon/renegade bar)
    I liked Noveria too. But every route accomplished the same thing, which is the initial complaint.

Yeah, this is what I was arguing for.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    i am even more pissed that the team belmont shirt actually looks like something i would wear

goddamit ctrl alt del guy
    it doesn't have one of his slack-jawed expressionless characters on it

no one would know but you

this is on the back
    0c2dfd137a32.jpg

the front looks like this and is actually cool
    f29e7bc061ce.jpg
    oh yeah

the back sends a message indeed

and the message is "I like awful webcomics"

Elendil on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'd like for good/evil to not be so binary

both sides are not the same

because if you have nothing against shooting people to get what you want, you're not going to have anything against not being a complete asshole to get what you want

but if you are not the kind of guy who doesn't shoot people unless he really has to you only have the non-asshole options

so therefore I'd like playing as a good cop to be harder in some cases than being a bad cop

because if not you're just being evil for evil's sake

not saying that being principled wouldn't have its advantages (other honest good people would trust you easier, maybe)

but being a good cop has advantages in some cases and a bad cop has in others

but in total I'd like sticking to noble principles to be harder than "the end justifies the means"

throw in some moral dilemmas where sticking to your principles means bad things are going to happen to innocent people

EDIT: And no sidequests that are all "oh please help me out of the kindness in your heart!" "Hey I don't give a fuck about you and your problems and if there was less witnesses around I'd feed you to my krogan for sport but I'm going to help you because I have this disorder where I want to do "quests""

EDIT2: Noveria should have had two routes to take: Either subtly snake your way through the twisting intricacies of corporate politics, like you end up doing, or come in all "I'm a spectre! Suck my dick and do my bidding!", like I did in the dialogue, and have that actually work. In the end. Sort of.

Giving me a choice beetween subtle and brute force would be fun. Having shepard as the least subtle meathead in the universe who'd rather headbutt his way through a door than find the key would be fun.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Alpha Protocol does conversations better than ME2. It's far less hard lined and there is no such thing as a good or evil answer.

It just does combat so much worse.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »

because if you have nothing against shooting people to get what you want, you're not going to have anything against not being a complete asshole to get what you want

but if you are not the kind of guy who doesn't shoot people unless he really has to you only have the non-asshole options

so therefore I'd like playing as a good cop to be harder in some cases than being a bad cop

not saying that being principled wouldn't have its advantages (other honest good people would trust you easier, maybe)

but in total I'd like sticking to noble principles to be harder than "the end justifies the means"

throw in some moral dilemmas where sticking to your principles means bad things are going to happen to innocent people

see also: like half of star trek TNG

Pony on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    Mass Effect is a game, and having to actually do two playthroughs as both the most righteous cop in the universe and a loose cannon renegade in order to fully experience the game instead of just for fun would be annoying.

conversely, dungeons and dragons is a game, and having to play multiple scenarios to experience what would happen based on personality decisions is part of the charm

so basically i disagree with you

I like knowing that I don't have to obsessively track my progress on some bar in order to make sure I'm getting everything I want out of a game.

On the front page of every internet forum should be a little click-through.

"I acknowledge that having OCD is not an argument for anything ever."

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    i am even more pissed that the team belmont shirt actually looks like something i would wear

goddamit ctrl alt del guy
    it doesn't have one of his slack-jawed expressionless characters on it

no one would know but you

this is on the back
    0c2dfd137a32.jpg

the front looks like this and is actually cool
    f29e7bc061ce.jpg
    oh yeah

the back sends a message indeed

and the message is "I like awful webcomics"

"You know you're wearing shit because there's a CAD icon on the back of this t-shirt with some shite sentence"

WMain00 on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Pony wrote: »

Like the episode where they discover the planet of junkies, and interfering with their dealer goes against the Prime Directive, so Picard takes a third option and refuses to hand over spare parts to repair their USS Pinto so they'll eventually lose the ability to get the drug and realise they they're not dying from an incurable disease?

I liked that episode. Except for Wesley and Tasha Yar talking about drugs.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Mass Effect is a game, and having to actually do two playthroughs as both the most righteous cop in the universe and a loose cannon renegade in order to fully experience the game instead of just for fun would be annoying.

Not to mention, you couldn't ever make a blend of renegade and paragon choices, because potentially you'd be locking yourself out from stuff.

yes because god forbid a single player game has replay value

Pony on
  • Options
    Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

One of my favorite TNG quotes is Picard talking about how they didn't use a virus to kill the Borg when they had a chance. Along the lines of "The moral thing to do may not have been the right thing to do."

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    poshniallo wrote: »

conversely, dungeons and dragons is a game, and having to play multiple scenarios to experience what would happen based on personality decisions is part of the charm

so basically i disagree with you

I like knowing that I don't have to obsessively track my progress on some bar in order to make sure I'm getting everything I want out of a game.

On the front page of every internet forum should be a little click-through.

"I acknowledge that having OCD is not an argument for anything ever."
    I don't understand.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I want a checkbox that says "Any claims of Autism Spectrum disorders must be verified by an admin with a Dr. Excuse. Self diagnosis equals instant ban."

Ludious on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010

Oh god that is possibly my least favourite TNG conversation of all time. Just so horrifically awful.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

corollary: the principles should be something like, the judiciary system and due process and inalienable rights instead of something as pants on head retarded as the prime directive

EDIT: I mean what kind of fucked up society decides "not giving a shit" is morally awesome

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ludious wrote: »
    I want a checkbox that says "Any claims of Autism Spectrum disorders must be verified by an admin with a Dr. Excuse. Self diagnosis equals instant ban."

As an officially diagnosed aspie, I'm down with this. I've spoken with a number of people who claimed posession of an ASD. Maybe one of them actually struck my "this guy might actually have it" bell. Basically, being anti-social and having above average intelligence is not enough for a diagnosis.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    No but seriously, AP's conversations are so much more dynamic and meaningful than anything you ever do in ME2.

A good example, that was already brought up, are the loyalty missions. Whether it be Zaeed's or Tali's or anyone at all. No matter what you do or what path you take, they'll be loyal to you and you'll unlock their last power. It doesn't really matter what you do, at all.

In AP, this isn't the case. If you do something against a character's wishes, they might abandon you. They might not help you. They might even turn on you. Infact, it's really hard to get every character to like you because some of them are conflicting. The conversations also lead to different options in later conversations. There's a point where you have a conversation with a bad guy and what happens then effects your fight with him later. Nothing like that happens in ME2.

The relationship dynamic is so much better than the simplicity of ME2.

And btw, Main, I'm probably gonna write up an AP review for LMB when I get the chance.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bogart wrote: »

Oh god that is possibly my least favourite TNG conversation of all time. Just so horrifically awful.

I don't remember that.

Thank God.

My least favourite conversations in TNG are all in that episode where Beverley gets wet dreams about a Scottish space ghost.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited June 2010

corollary: the principles should be something like, the judiciary system and due process and inalienable rights instead of something as pants on head retarded as the prime directive

well yes

i am just saying i understand your point and agree

Pony on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    MA2 was much better about actually being ends justify the means vs by the book, rather then simply do the right thing or be a twat. Outside maybe two or three egregious examples.

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Bogart wrote: »

It was why she had to die. Her part was so anvilicious it threatened to create an anvil-shaped anomaly which would have erradicated all subtlety in the universe. A sacrifice was needed.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

As an officially diagnosed aspie, I'm down with this. I've spoken with a number of people who claimed posession of an ASD. Maybe one of them actually struck my "this guy might actually have it" bell. Basically, being anti-social and having above average intelligence is not enough for a diagnosis.

I blame House for this. There was an episode where he was trying to fool everyone into thinking he had Asperger's so they'd leave him alone and accept him as a jerk.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    the way the prime directive was originally written when it first cropped up in Star Trek was not bad

because it was basically a rule against going around dicking about with pre-space flight civilizations, like Starfleet often did back in Kirk's day

later it turned into some faggoty sacred rule of moral relativism and non-interference

which led to some very retarded TNG and later Voyager episodes

DS9 largely avoided that shit

Pony on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    I want my choices in game to affect the real world. So when I refuse to save the orphanage in Elminsterville passersby on my way to work feel unsettled and an unexplainable revulsion.

And if I save the colonists on Theta IX from the brain-sucking monster at great personal cost the taxi driver who takes my drunken carcass home on Friday night will waive the bill without quite understanding why.

Bogart on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

It's so much easier to justify being awkward and yelling your unfiltered opinion at people if you have a disorder and aren't just being an antisocial douche

Ludious on
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You know what, I don't mind a binary good and evil system in a game if it actually effects the side you are on at the end. Like instead of storming the bad guy's lair the same way you would if you were a good guy and then getting an ending where you become the bad guy, you actually join the evil side and work with them. Then you spend the rest of the game wiping out all the people you helped in the early game.

I hate choosing between being a white knight saving everyone and an antihero out for revenge when the end result is pretty much the same, and so are all the events leading up to it.

Smurph on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010

Since you agree with this, we're going to need to see your doctor's note or else you have to voluntarily accept self-banning.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I blame House for this. There was an episode where he was trying to fool everyone into thinking he had Asperger's so they'd leave him alone and accept him as a jerk.

people claiming to have ass-burgers was commonplace before it was on house, duder

it's basically turned into an excuse for anti-social nerds to cop out of taking responsibility for how they are dickheads towards people

Pony on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

well yes

i am just saying i understand your point and agree

Cool.

Let's go make a game.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010

people claiming to have ass-burgers was commonplace before it was on house, duder

it's basically turned into an excuse for anti-social nerds to cop out of taking responsibility for how they are dickheads towards people

After that episode is when I really started noticing people doing that shit, but it's probably a bias confirmation thing. I'm totally with you though, jerkwads using it to excuse their shitty behavior is unacceptable.

My mother tried to tell me a couple months ago that she thought I had Asperger's and that it's gotten better as I've gotten older. I tried to explain that I definitely do not have it, but she still believes it. :?

Armored Gorilla on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    it's basically always easier, especially in the short term, to blame some perceived medical condition for your behavior instead of taking responsibility for it

i allowed myself to do this with my former ASPD diagnosis, it's a terrible mistake

but people do it all the time

Pony on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Smurph wrote: »
    You know what, I don't mind a binary good and evil system in a game if it actually effects the side you are on at the end. Like instead of storming the bad guy's lair the same way you would if you were a good guy and then getting an ending where you become the bad guy, you actually join the evil side and work with them. Then you spend the rest of the game wiping out all the people you helped in the early game.

I hate choosing between being a white knight saving everyone and an antihero out for revenge when the end result is pretty much the same, and so are all the events leading up to it.

I am pretty sure I played a game where the options were basically Good: Destroy evil Evil: take out the competition

just because you're both evil doesn't mean you'll work together

rather the contrary

just that instead of foiling the villains attempt at world domination you basically just staged a coup and set yourself up as the new villain

I don't have a huge problem with the steps leading up to that being largely the same as a coup's a coup

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    aspergers is the new add

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    evilbob wrote: »
    aspergers is the new add

And before that everybody was a manic-depressive.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    What about games like Torment where you're still working in the same direction, since your goal isn't really good or evil related, but if you want you can really, really, really be a dick about it?

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Aspergers is the new Ayn Rand

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Smurph wrote: »

I am pretty sure I played a game where the options were basically Good: Destroy evil Evil: take out the competition

just because you're both evil doesn't mean you'll work together

rather the contrary

just that instead of foiling the villains attempt at world domination you basically just staged a coup and set yourself up as the new villain

I don't have a huge problem with the steps leading up to that being largely the same as a coup's a coup

the original overlord was like that. kinda.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I wish I was eating biscuits right now.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    asperger's is especially appealing as a self-diagnosis for socially maladjusted nerds because aspies have this pop culture reputation of being incredibly intelligent despite being socially retarded

so, it's like a way of saying you are handicapped and thus have an excuse for your behavior

but still feeling intelligent

some nerds see life like a game of GURPS and feel that for their brainsmarts they had to sacrifice points in their social skills or something

real life don't work that way

Pony on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hrm, apparently Netflix has decided to give me a section recommending Marilyn Monroe movies. Excellent.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I wish I was eating biscuits right now.

is your girlfriend named biscuits

Ludious on
This discussion has been closed.