As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Commies have infiltrated our precious social fluids

• Options
    Protein ShakesProtein Shakes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    mrt144 wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    adytum wrote: »
    Slavic women come in two flavors; homely or mindblowingly gorgeous.

Only one of those types become spies.

The homely ones, judging from those pictures.
    Wuh?

She's obviously a very attractive woman. Not necessarily my type, but very pretty nonetheless.

She's the Russian Pam Beesly.

Are you saying that they send us their "only moderately good-looking" ones?

D:

I must move to Russia immediately.

Protein Shakes on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Did you really just do the "beautiful woman is totally not beautiful enough for me" thing and throw in the "cool" emoticon?

No! That's a bad, adytum! No treat for you!

Look, I could totally see how someone could call her "hot" (though I would say moderately attractive) based on the first photograph in that series, which is from a professional photo shoot and where she is professionally made up and wearing lingerie.

So much for what a "normal" person can do without airbrushing.

The rest of the photos? Not so much. Did anyone even look at those?

adytum on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Wuh?

She's obviously a very attractive woman. Not necessarily my type, but very pretty nonetheless.

D:

Oh man, you're just going to love it there...:lol:

mrt144 on
  • Options
    Protein ShakesProtein Shakes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Did you really just do the "beautiful woman is totally not beautiful enough for me" thing and throw in the "cool" emoticon?

Look, I could totally see how someone could call her "hot" (though I would say moderately attractive) based on the first photograph in that series, which is from a professional photo shoot and where she is professionally made up and wearing lingerie.

The rest of the photos? Not so much.

Look dude, we all know that you're saying these things only because you cannot have her.

Just come out with it. It is a completely normal coping mechanism, and does not make you a bad person.

Protein Shakes on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Alright, I feel like we've crossed a sexist threshold here.

(at least my comment was empowering!)

Moving on, I wish I could have hung out with one of these spies. What would it be like to be the lamest spy? I feel like, if I were one of these people, I would let people in on the secret every now and then if I got bored.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

The rest of the photos? Not so much.

Look dude, we all know that you're saying these things only because you cannot have her.

Just come out with it. It is a completely normal coping mechanism, and does not make you a bad person.

You nailed it. :cry:

:rotate:

adytum on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

So much for what a "normal" person can do without airbrushing.

The rest of the photos? Not so much. Did anyone even look at those?

Yes, I did, there's some bad ones and some good ones which is true for just about everyone I suspect.

But mostly I was just giving you crap :P

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Qingu wrote: »
    Alright, I feel like we've crossed a sexist threshold here.

(at least my comment was empowering!)

Moving on, I wish I could have hung out with one of these spies. What would it be like to be the lamest spy? I feel like, if I were one of these people, I would let people in on the secret every now and then if I got bored.

Alpha Protocol 2:

Bond, Bauer, Bourne, Boring

adytum on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    But, this is a silly argument.
    There's something we can agree on.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Wuh?

D:

If they're good enough for French airmen, they're definitely good enough for Shakes.
    fdsfdsfdsfds.jpg

Synthesis on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So they basically just lost 11 of their agents and tons of money for what? The incompetent ones here aren't the agents, it's whatever person hatched this plan. When you're risking your people make sure you're risking them for something good. There was very little chance they could actually succeed in their objective and what if they did, what could they possibly gain from knowing our chatter on Iran?

So stupid.

Hoz on
  • Options
    SkulkrakenSkulkraken Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Maybe they want us to *think* they're stupid...

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Welcome to the world of international espionage, where people are sent to spend large quantities of perfectly good money and perfectly good planes are wrecked and dismantled.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    slide_8077_107659_large.jpg?1277871351301
    She was caught because her hair prevented her from seeing the authorities.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ...I find it odd that a former KGB agent like Putin, who's government has had very little trouble infiltrating Chechnyan guerrilla groups so he can give semi-accurate targeting information to bombers & artillery positions, has spies operating in America that are so incompetent.

Maybe these are just the fall guys?

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The Ender wrote: »
    ...I find it odd that a former KGB agent like Putin, who's government has had very little trouble infiltrating Chechnyan guerrilla groups so he can give semi-accurate targeting information to bombers & artillery positions, has spies operating in America that are so incompetent.

Maybe these are just the fall guys?
    Chechnya isn't exactly a bastion of intelligence security.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »

Wuh?

D:

If they're good enough for French airmen, they're definitely good enough for Shakes.
    fdsfdsfdsfds.jpg

wow! what's with that creepy guy on the right? He's like a younger, creepier G-man.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm still not really sure what these spies were supposed to be doing for Mother Russia. It's not like they were breaking into the CIA and stealing secrets.

Most of the stuff Russia seemed to want these people to do (influence policymakers, keep an ear out for American foreign policy on Iran etc.) could have been done legally by a lobbyist or public relations firm.

This whole thing strikes me as an attempt by some aging spook to justify his covert ops budget.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I may be missing something from just having read the OP quote, but why are they The Lamest Spies Ever? 'Cause they got caught? Spies got caught in the past all the time.

Glal on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Glal wrote: »
    I may be missing something from just having read the OP quote, but why are they The Lamest Spies Ever? 'Cause they got caught? Spies got caught in the past all the time.

This is similar to the online game arguement.

Why do the people you beat suck? Because you can only win against people who suck?

Sipex on
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    it's more that they could have achieved their stated goals legally without doing anything silly

kaleedity on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    kaleedity wrote: »
    it's more that they could have achieved their stated goals legally without doing anything silly

I don't know... could they?

Consorting with Russians is the sort of thing that can get you thrown out of government and stay up on Fox news for years.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Glal wrote: »
    Because for 10 years they utterly failed to gather any useful intelligence, or place themselves in a position to do so? Another NYT article quotes a CIA officer or something remarking "Why didn't they just use the Internet?"

Qingu on
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    kaleedity wrote: »

I don't know... could they?

Consorting with Russians is the sort of thing that can get you thrown out of government and stay up on Fox news for years.

lobbying

kaleedity on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It's possible that they were here more for what they might need to do than for what they were doing at the time. Establishing a long history makes it easier to sneak around than showing up on a plane one day with a fake ID a week before your mission.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    It's possible that they were here more for what they might need to do than for what they were doing at the time. Establishing a long history makes it easier to sneak around than showing up on a plane one day with a fake ID a week before your mission.
    That's just what they want you to think.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »

Wuh?

D:

fdsfdsfdsfds.jpg

wow! what's with that creepy guy on the right? He's like a younger, creepier G-man.

Younger? Yes. Creepier? No.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    what if these mundane spies only purpse was to cover up and distract from the fact that Obama is the biggest and highest spy the russians have. OH GOD THE REPUBLICANS WERE RIGHT

If Obama turned out to be a Russian spy I wouldn't even be mad. In fact it would probably raise my opinion of him, because the only explanation for some of his behavior is "easily persuaded by the minority party" otherwise

override367 on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010

I'm pretty sure the redhead's mission was to acquire intel on the navy.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Scalfin wrote: »

She could have done a better job by buying a subscription to Jane's Defense Weekly.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Do we have like detailed reports of exactly what information they got and sent back?

Because if we do not, then these spies aren't exactly the lamest spies ever. And I doubt we do.

There's no telling what they sent off in this case.

edit: And it took us SEVEN YEARS to catch these people.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Modern Man wrote: »

She could have done a better job by buying a subscription to Jane's Defense Weekly.

Yes, that would require that she read Jane's Defense Weekly. I can't say I blame her.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    PerpetualPerpetual Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    There's a very good thread on the SA forums about this:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3322471&pagenumber=1

Questioning the timing of busting the spies.

Perpetual on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Do we have like detailed reports of exactly what information they got and sent back?

Because if we do not, then these spies aren't exactly the lamest spies ever. And I doubt we do.

There's no telling what they sent off in this case.

edit: And it took us SEVEN YEARS to catch these people.
    Hooooold on. It didn't take us 7 years to "catch them." We waited 7 years to catch them. They were being closely monitored by the FBI for 7 years and presumably could have been caught at any time.

I imagine the feds were waiting for them to do something even remotely dangerous and were watching almost out of bored curiosity in the meantime.

They aren't being charged with espionage, which means they didn't actually get any good secrets. Unless that's what they WANT you to think...

Qingu on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Since Russia + Spies is dangerously close to conspiracy theory anyways.

What if these spies were a decoy for another spy?

Sipex on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Modern Man wrote: »

Better than capturing American semen?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    So the Cyprus police caught the 11th spy and then they put him on bail to await the extradition hearing. Guess what happened?

He fucking disappeared. Why the fuck would you put a spy on bail?

Hoz on
  • Options
    TanolenTanolen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So they can follow him back to his spy nest.

Tanolen on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    You know, that actually makes sense. It would be odd for the CIA not to have eyes on this dude while he was out on bail.

Hoz on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Justice systems differ, he was probably not considered dangerous for anyone and he didn't commit any crimes there. Or something like that, they were probably legally compelled to release him.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot