As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sorry, Venkman, I'm terrified beyond the capacity for rational [chat]

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Chanus wrote: »
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    a few friends of my friends were organizing a dungeons & dragons campaign and needed another player

so one of my friends who was in that group was like "Hey let's invite Matt" (that's me!)

two of the guys in the group didn't like the idea, and the reason given for it is "he's a jock and he doesn't really get it, you know?"

i was told about this and was like

welp

Hahahaha people still say jock in a serious manner.

He's in Canada.

Oh, the land of 10 years ago.

Although, that might be more like 15 at this point.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    Smurph wrote: »
    "There is no <insert noun>, only Zuul."

This works in any conversation.

so basically with my fiancee it goes like this

her: "oh hey there was no <noun> at the store"

me: "but did they have zuul?"

her: *blank stare*

me: WHY ARE WE EVEN ENGAGED I MEAN GODDAM

You know it only takes like 2 hours to correct your fiancés birth defect.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Love that smug pug.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    In my day it was the bubonic plague. All the kids claimed to have it, and used it as an excuse to get out of P.E.

An excuse to get out of P.E.? Man that was often the part of the day I looked forward to.

I made a deal with my Sophomore-year Gym teacher that if I aced Health, I didn't need to participate in P.E.

I think it was more I would look for any excuse to get out of doing anything.

And that I'm a giant fucking nerd.

For me it was that I hit my growth spurt early. So while I was a nerd, I was a 6ft nerd in the 6th grade. So it meant that for a lot of sports we played, I had either a height or size advantage. Admittedly sometimes it caused me to be a dumb ass, like the time I body checked my gym teacher while playing floor hockey.

Yeah, I hit my growth spurt around 11 or 12, so I was 6'3" in Seventh Grade... but I also still only weighed 130lbs... so competitive outdoor activities and I stopped getting along. I suppose I could have been a runner or played volleyball, but I didn't enjoy either of those activities.

Volleyball was fun when you're the tall kid. Spiking on all of your classmates.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    thank you, skippy

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    TalkcTalkc Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    a few friends of my friends were organizing a dungeons & dragons campaign and needed another player

so one of my friends who was in that group was like "Hey let's invite Matt" (that's me!)

two of the guys in the group didn't like the idea, and the reason given for it is "he's a jock and he doesn't really get it, you know?"

welp

Because it's not about playing a tabletop RPG, it's about an insular culture in which like-minded awkward people can resent society!

Yea. This is why gaming shops have a certain smell.

Trust me on this.

Talkc on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

For me it was that I hit my growth spurt early. So while I was a nerd, I was a 6ft nerd in the 6th grade. So it meant that for a lot of sports we played, I had either a height or size advantage. Admittedly sometimes it caused me to be a dumb ass, like the time I body checked my gym teacher while playing floor hockey.

Hi5. I used to love Basketball for that reason. Plus for some weird reason most of the people in the school who played it were asians, it was like c'mon.

Leitner on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Smurph wrote: »
    "There is no <insert noun>, only Zuul."

This works in any conversation.

so basically with my fiancee it goes like this

her: "oh hey there was no <noun> at the store"

me: "but did they have zuul?"

her: *blank stare*

me: WHY ARE WE EVEN ENGAGED I MEAN GODDAM

You know it only takes like 2 hours to correct your fiancés birth defect.

it is not on netflix instant stream anymore or i would have

also now that she knows it bothers me it has become a game to her

like i queued it up one time before they took it off and she suddenly had to hang out with her friends and make cookies

i was like WOMAN WE ARE WATCHING GHOSTBUSTERS DAMNIT

its like feral and jurassic park

Arch on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Video Gamers are too busy writing wikis about the backstory for Little Nemo and arguing about which Zelda is the best to really self identify much

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

welp

Because it's not about playing a tabletop RPG, it's about an insular culture in which like-minded awkward people can resent society!

apparently!

i also get some of this bullshit at anime cons

i get treated like an outsider

by people who make themselves into social outcasts

it's weird!

Pony on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Video Gamers are too busy writing wikis about the backstory for Little Nemo and arguing about which Zelda is the best to really self identify much

TETRA IS THE BEST ZELDA!!!!

*rage*

Talkc on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Gamers are just the worst.

That said, goddamn it, filthy Lawndart's filthy Champions trial has me by the balls. Goddamn that game is pretty entertaining.

firewaterword on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    In my day it was the bubonic plague. All the kids claimed to have it, and used it as an excuse to get out of P.E.

An excuse to get out of P.E.? Man that was often the part of the day I looked forward to.

I made a deal with my Sophomore-year Gym teacher that if I aced Health, I didn't need to participate in P.E.

Yeah, I hit my growth spurt around 11 or 12, so I was 6'3" in Seventh Grade... but I also still only weighed 130lbs... so competitive outdoor activities and I stopped getting along. I suppose I could have been a runner or played volleyball, but I didn't enjoy either of those activities.

Yeah, I was just all gangly and shit, so I quickly became an indoor kid.

I also discovered Dungeons and Dragons when I was 12.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    yessss fire water word

yessssss

Arch on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Leitner wrote: »

Hi5. I used to love Basketball for that reason. Plus for some weird reason most of the people in the school who played it were asians, it was like c'mon.

Basketball was awesome. Sure a lot of my classmates were quicker then me, but long arms make blocking shots a lot of fun. And screw others rebounding against me.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    halo more like hey bro

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I found it around 14 or so. Too late to stop me from enjoying PE.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Gamers are just the worst.

That said, goddamn it, filthy Lawndart's filthy Champions trial has me by the balls. Goddamn that game is pretty entertaining.

Excellent.
    tumblr_ktc4ap4VLT1qas51uo1_400.png

Edit: And just throwing this out there, but Champions Online is currently on sale on Steam for $6.79.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    ugh sports?

one time i was playing basketball with the neighborhood kids and no lie this was said to me after i was like "dude what the hell i was totally open you coulda passed to me"

"well i mean you are so small it wasn't really worth it"

fuck you guys im gonna go read books now

Arch on
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Finally found out why the mystery letters were, not anthrax but my comic con tickets.

Admittedly, some people would have preferred the anthrax.

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

there's no real point to arguing when the definitive answer is 'A Link to the Past'

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Elendil wrote: »
    halo more like hey bro

Is it me, or is there entirely too much of a slap ass locker room attitude around the communities for games like Halo and Gears of War?

I mean, I play Tf2 on PC. And i never get any of this crud.

Talkc on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    yessss fire water word

yessssss

Dude it's so fun. Gonna have to make post in the thread for some tips. Getting the feeling every choice made while leveling is pretty bloody important.

Also, what was your friend code thing name again? I fur-got. Mine is the same as here.

Oh god I'm downloading it now at work someone help.

firewaterword on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

this is another disconnect i have with really nerdy people sometimes (not saying this about you but other people)

i grew up as an athletic kid was into many sports and liked going outside and socializing with others and stuff

so when i am at a Warhammer tourney and it's a break between games and we are sitting around chatting

and the neckbeards start sharing their high school horror stories of getting picked on by the hockey team guys i am like

and what assholes those guys are

i am like

dang guys it sucks that happened but like i played football and hockey in high school we're not all like that

then they tend to get quiet and change the subject

Pony on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    good work lawndart

the master is pleased
    master_john_simm_series_3_mask.jpg

Arch on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ugh sports?

one time i was playing basketball with the neighborhood kids and no lie this was said to me after i was like "dude what the hell i was totally open you coulda passed to me"

YOU AND ME AGAINST THE WORLD.

It'd be like Twins... except I wouldn't be very strong and you wouldn't be married to Rhea Perlman.

Chanus on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Basketball is a sport designed for certain people if you know what I mean

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

there's no real point to arguing when the definitive answer is 'A Link to the Past'

I dunno man. Thats asking for the OOT anime fanboys to come out of the woodwork and start spewing acid.

Talkc on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    yessss fire water word

yessssss

Dude it's so fun. Gonna have to make post in the thread for some tips. Getting the feeling every choice made while leveling is pretty bloody important.

Also, what was your friend code thing name again? I fur-got. Mine is the same as here.

i am @zinnar

just read page twelve of the thread. top of the page i posted two essential guides

if you have questions after that then ask away

Arch on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    ugh sports?

Your were never gonna be Muggsy Bogues.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    halo more like hey bro

sometimes i go over to my brother's place

where he's got four TVs and four xboxs hooked up in the same room

me and his room-mates, we smoke weed, blast hip-hop, and play Halo or Call of Duty

that's right

we are

those guys

Pony on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Talkc wrote: »

I dunno man. Thats asking for the OOT anime fanboys to come out of the woodwork and start spewing acid.

it's majora's mask, in any case

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    this is another disconnect i have with really nerdy people sometimes (not saying this about you but other people)

i grew up as an athletic kid was into many sports and liked going outside and socializing with others and stuff

so when i am at a Warhammer tourney and it's a break between games and we are sitting around chatting

and the neckbeards start sharing their high school horror stories of getting picked on by the hockey team guys i am like

and what assholes those guys are

i am like

dang guys it sucks that happened but like i played football and hockey in high school we're not all like that

then they tend to get quiet and change the subject

Yeah, I never got picked on or anything. I just stopped being good at sports when kids started hitting growth spurts, so I kinda just stopped participating. I played baseball and football and soccer until I was 11 or 12.

Then when I hit about 20 I filled back out so that I could withstand a strong breeze and realized I enjoy playing sports again.

Chanus on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010

there's no real point to arguing when the definitive answer is 'Wind Waker'
    it begins

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    yessss fire water word

yessssss

i am @zinnar

just read page twelve of the thread. top of the page i posted two essential guides

if you have questions after that then ask away

Cheers buddy.

firewaterword on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ugh sports?

Your were never gonna be Muggsy Bogues.

He's one trampoline away from being Nate Robinson, though.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Talkc wrote: »

it's majora's mask, in any case

Correction. Wind Waker.

Talkc on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ludious wrote: »
    Basketball is a sport designed for certain people if you know what I mean

Tall people?

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Didn't notice this more awesome chat thread before posting this in the other one:

Ahahahahahahahahah!

I love The Stranger.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Edit: And just throwing this out there, but Champions Online is currently on sale on Steam for $6.79.

I played this with arch last night

but

mmo

:l

skippydumptruck on
This discussion has been closed.