As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Internet Sharing between Macbook and Xbox 360

Hey AshtrayHey Ashtray Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys,

I've had this working before, but I just moved and now I can't seem to get it to work.

What I've done:

I've turned on internet sharing from Airport to Ethernet. Plugged an ethernet cable from the laptop to the 360.

Found my ip address through ifconfig en0. When putting in the IP Adress on the 360, I made the last number 1 digit higher, like many websites told me to. Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 like always, and then gateway is the original inet number found through terminal.

Here's my issue. When looking up my router's IP address, using the 'dig' command in terminal, it gives me the same number as the inet that I'm using as my IP address. Should these numbers be the same (192.168.2.1 for both the ethernet port's IP address and the router's IP address)? This is also what the Xbox is having trouble with, connecting to the DNS server. It recognizes that a network is connected, by fails while trying to establish an internet connection.

Maybe you guys can help, if you understood this wall of gibberish. Thanks a lot!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hey Ashtray on

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Two things cannot have the same IP address (We won't get into subnetting, thank you). That is your issue.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ok, thanks for confirming my suspicion. So the next thing I'd like to know is, why are they showing up as the same numbers (because they are, regardless if they can or cannot), and how do I make them different?

Thanks.

Hey Ashtray on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There are some good walkthroughs for this - can remember which one I used - but they provide good step-by-step guides.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I've gone through them all. I'm only posting here because my situation seems unique, and I'm hoping someone can offer some good advice.

Hey Ashtray on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I still haven't found a solution. I guess my question is how can the IP that ifconfig 0en gives me (inet xxx.xxx.x.x) and the SERVER: xxx.xxx.x.x from the 'dig' command (or from going through networks and checking out the TCP/IP Router IP) be the same? Shouldn't my laptop have a different IP from the router or modem that is providing it with internet?

Thanks guys.

Hey Ashtray on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]