As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Airbending Avatar] Info on the new series, at last!

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Qingu wrote: »
    I do wish it wasn't steampunk, however. I'm kind of burnt out on steampunk.

There's a lot of cool ways to use technology that don't involve Victorian-era aesthetics.

At least Steampunk isn't as over-exposed as, say, zombies.

Although a zombie-themed Avatar series does have promise...

What about a massively powerful water-bender controlling a legion of slaves with blood-bending?

Zombie-esque but closer to the original voodoo zombie than Romero's mindless dead.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    I'm absolutely giddy with everything that's been revealed so far. The city environment, in particular, seems like it could be incredible.

I'm actually more curious about Tenzin than I am about Korra. I mean, the guy is the son of both the last airbender (who happens to be the friggin' avatar) and the last waterbender. That's a lot to live up to. I can't help but feel as though Aang's spirit may have directed Korra to find Tenzin under the pretense of airbending training, but with the hidden motive of also helping his son fulfill his own potential. Just seems like the logical first step of the story to me, and is a tidy way of explaining the initial plot questions.

In any event, Toph better be alive.

Katara was only the last waterbender of the Southern Water Tribe. There were still quite a few waterbenders in general, some of whom presumably resettled in the South after the war, given that Korra is from there. Unless bending is geographic rather than genetic, or skips generations or something.

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

There's a lot of cool ways to use technology that don't involve Victorian-era aesthetics.

When they say steampunk they could just mean stuff like what we already saw (mainly in the fire nations) but just more omnipresent.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    HamHamJ wrote: »

When they say steampunk they could just mean stuff like what we already saw (mainly in the fire nations) but just more omnipresent.

Steam is kind of the obvious way to go, power-wise, when you have people capable of creating fuel-less fire. And nowadays you can't have a train or a blimp without it getting labeled steampunk.

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm absolutely giddy with everything that's been revealed so far. The city environment, in particular, seems like it could be incredible.

I'm actually more curious about Tenzin than I am about Korra. I mean, the guy is the son of both the last airbender (who happens to be the friggin' avatar) and the last waterbender. That's a lot to live up to. I can't help but feel as though Aang's spirit may have directed Korra to find Tenzin under the pretense of airbending training, but with the hidden motive of also helping his son fulfill his own potential. Just seems like the logical first step of the story to me, and is a tidy way of explaining the initial plot questions.

Katara was only the last waterbender of the Southern Water Tribe. There were still quite a few waterbenders in general, some of whom presumably resettled in the South after the war, given that Korra is from there. Unless bending is geographic rather than genetic, or skips generations or something.

Don't forget our possum-chicken-eating friends.

Artereis on
  • Options
    NODeNODe Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I really doubt that they're all going to be running around in top hats and goggles. It's not as if this technology is completely new to the Avatar world, the seeds were pretty clear in Fire Nation war machines and the tech that the inventor squatting in the air temple (?) was coming up with.

Also, how are people getting burned out on steampunk themes? Is there a wealth of this stuff floating around that I've never seen?

NODe on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    NODe wrote: »
    I really doubt that they're all going to be running around in top hats and goggles. It's not as if this technology is completely new to the Avatar world, the seeds were pretty clear in Fire Nation war machines and the tech that the inventor squatting in the air temple (?) was coming up with.

Also, how are people getting burned out on steampunk themes? Is there a wealth of this stuff floating around that I've never seen?

It'd be hilarious if there was just one guy, like the foaming mouth guy,

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I suppose "steampunk" is often a broadly labeled category. I wouldn't call the Fire Nation's tech "steampunk," but then some people do, so...

I liked steampunk ... back in the days of Final Fantasy 6. I would argue it started to get old around the time of "Wild Wild West."

I would also like to see some shit about outer space. Do the people on this world have telescopes? It seems like the benders, combined with plastics engineering and other non-magic tech, could easily construct spaceships. Then Sokka could have sex with his dead girlfriend again!

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

I suppose "steampunk" is often a broadly labeled category. I wouldn't call the Fire Nation's tech "steampunk," but then some people do, so...

I liked steampunk ... back in the days of Final Fantasy 6. I would argue it started to get old around the time of "Wild Wild West."

I would also like to see some shit about outer space. Do the people on this world have telescopes? It seems like the benders, combined with plastics engineering and other non-magic tech, could easily construct spaceships. Then Sokka could have sex with his dead girlfriend again!

"I want to fuck the moon" being one of the most unique inspirations for space travel.

I've never really understood the "I'm so sick of X because there have been some terrible iterations of X". Ok, don't read/watch those then.

NODe on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    "I want to fuck the moon" being one of the most unique inspirations for space travel.

I've never really understood the "I'm so sick of X because there have been some terrible iterations of X". Ok, don't read/watch those then.
    WWW was sort of terrible, but mostly I feel like that theme/aesthetic has already been mined. Avatar was a pretty creative show, its aesthetic was altogether pretty original (despite having clear influences) and I'd rather it come up with a new aesthetic than recycle the steampunk aesthetic.

Qingu on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    Er, if people are embracing tech over bending, then I imagine that the city won't be powered by fire/waterbending. Unless a major plot point is that benders are only good for manual labor.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Er, if people are embracing tech over bending, then I imagine that the city won't be powered by fire/waterbending. Unless a major plot point is that benders are only good for manual labor.
    I wonder if it will be powered by fossil fuels—compressed over millions of years from the corpses pterodactyl-lions and tyrannosaur-whales.

(Actually real fossil fuels come from plankton mostly but whatevz)

Qingu on
  • Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm guessing you'll have lots of stuff like the drill. Not powered by bending, but it would be useful for controlling and maintaining it.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, Korra being the Avatar pretty much reveals what her best element is.

Obviously she inherited her mother's large Water-bending talent, as the next Avatar in the cycle is a Waterbender. So it pretty much had to be either Katara's or Sokka's kid. I mean, they wouldn't just give us some random waterbender, not when they can tie in the original Avatar series so closely.

I just wish the creators would have said "We're currently browbeating Nickelodeon to release a complete series of Avatar on DVD." That's the only thing stopping me. I don't want to buy bits and pieces of the series and then see a complete set come out.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Wait, is Korra actually related to Aang? That would seem to be against the spirit of the whole avatar ... spirit.

Qingu on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Well, Korra being the Avatar pretty much reveals what her best element is.

Obviously she inherited her mother's large Water-bending talent, as the next Avatar in the cycle is a Waterbender. So it pretty much had to be either Katara's or Sokka's kid. I mean, they wouldn't just give us some random waterbender, not when they can tie in the original Avatar series so closely.

Um, nope. The tie to the last series is Tenzin, not Korra. He's Aang & Katara's son.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Nothing said about Korra's relation to Aang. I mean they would've mentioned it if Korra and Aang's actual son Tenzin are related, no?

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ITT I misread the posts and epic fail. Sorry, guys.

Just happy they're making a sequel to something awesome, finally.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man, Godfather. You know how sometimes we tell people to give One Piece a chance before dismissing it?

Give the first Avatar series a chance.

Kind of ironic how some people don't give OP a chance because of the goofy designs, and he didn't give Avatar a chance for that same reason. For shame Godfather!

Guys, let me reiterate:

I know i'm wrong. I know it.

I've already seen a fair batch of episodes, I already know its quality. Something about it puts me off, and I just don't know why. Can't really explain it.

Everyone's allowed to see something that's massively popular that just doesn't "click" with them, and I guess this is it. Gotta let me be a grumpy old man about this.

I'll get a fresh start with this iteration, no worries.

Godfather on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wait, is Korra actually related to Aang? That would seem to be against the spirit of the whole avatar ... spirit.

On that note, I noticed something interesting.

Aang is tought Firebending, his last element, by a descendant of Avatar Roku.

Korra is tought Airbending, her last element, by a descendant of Avatar Aang.

Parallels!

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Maybe has Korra has blue fire and when someone asks her about it, she mentions that she had a good teacher.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

On that note, I noticed something interesting.

Aang is tought Firebending, his last element, by a descendant of Avatar Roku.

Korra is tought Airbending, her last element, by a descendant of Avatar Aang.

Parallels!

niiiiice

Arch on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Anyone else hoping for grumpy old lady Toph?

NODe on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

WWW was sort of terrible, but mostly I feel like that theme/aesthetic has already been mined. Avatar was a pretty creative show, its aesthetic was altogether pretty original (despite having clear influences) and I'd rather it come up with a new aesthetic than recycle the steampunk aesthetic.

I really think you are reading too much into one word from an interview. Everything is not suddenly going to become European and shit. The concept art clearly shows an Asian-themed city just like normal Avatar. But presumably there will be a lot of steam-based stuff in it. Thus "steampunk".

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Anyone else hoping for badass old lady Toph?

Like a female king Bumi!

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    darunia106 wrote: »
    Anyone else hoping for badass old lady Toph?

Like a female king Bumi!

Who makes blind jokes.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Just reiterating that I am very excited for this

Arch on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    I really think you are reading too much into one word from an interview. Everything is not suddenly going to become European and shit. The concept art clearly shows an Asian-themed city just like normal Avatar. But presumably there will be a lot of steam-based stuff in it. Thus "steampunk".
    Yis, I am confident you are right. I have faith that whatever the show's creators come up with won't be lame.

Qingu on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

D'oh. Forgot about the swampbenders and whatnot.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010

I wouldn't mind if it was revealed that Toph actually instigated the anti-bending movement by accidentally creating a volcano near a population center. It really sounds like the way she'd want to die.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Scalfin wrote: »

I wouldn't mind if it was revealed that Toph actually instigated the anti-bending movement by accidentally creating a volcano near a population center. It really sounds like the way she'd want to die.

No, I'm going to call that "horrible." Why the hell would she do that?

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    edited July 2010

No, I'm going to call that "horrible." Why the hell would she do that?

She wanted to know what was down there.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    No scalfin I am also going to label that idea and train of thought with the "really terrible, for multiple reasons" brush

Arch on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I could also see her doing that as revenge, perhaps if the people of the town raped and murdered her boyfriend/girlfriend. Sodom and Gomorrah style.

Back to the new show: having a single multicultural city is going to be a cool setting for another reason—multiple benders interacting. In the first show, all the cultures were based around one type of elemental magic. It's going to be rad to see how the different magics working together have, as they say in buzinass, "synergy."

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I could also see her doing that as revenge, perhaps if the people of the town raped and murdered her boyfriend/girlfriend. Sodom and Gomorrah style.

Back to the new show: having a single multicultural city is going to be a cool setting for another reason—multiple benders interacting. In the first show, all the cultures were based around one type of elemental magic. It's going to be rad to see how the different magics working together have, as they say in buzinass, "synergy."

Actually, I was more thinking that she'd eventually get herself killed doing something reckless, impulsive, and, most of all, spectacular. I can really imagine her sitting around, thinking "I wonder what's down there," and heading to her back yard to find out.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Neither you or Qingu are allowed to have ideas about Avatar anymore.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Toph has lesbian relationship with moon, learns Moonbending, BENDS THE MOON, messes up the tides and is lynched by angry waterbenders!

Greeper on
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Having just finished the series it is obvious Toph becomes the leader of the Earth Kingdom, and eventually becomes able to feel everything that is going on in the world through her feet!

Then just 'cos she gets bored she wrangles a few badger-moles and travels to the center of the earth to fight dinosaurs.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I can only imagine if Mike and Bryan screen the first LoK episode in a theater full of Avatar fans and the utter explosion that will oocur if old Toph shows up. They might as well pause the episode because the screaming will last at least a minute.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Neither you or Qingu are allowed to have ideas about Avatar anymore.

fucking seriously

Arch on
This discussion has been closed.